KindlyKatherine is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

The Taming of the Shrewsbury

Governor Shrewsbury is not what you’d call an honest politician. He built his political career around the idea of stamping out piracy; in the background, however, he’s secretly been up to some less than legitimate business practices for personal gain. The spirits of those pirates he took advantage of aren’t happy with the situation and want revenge… and if you want their help on YOUR quest, you’re going to have to give them a hand with that.

Swashbuckler? Yeah right. Don't believe a word of it.

What's So Special About The Governator?

Governor Shrewsbury at first appears to be a normal swashbuckler boss, but it doesn’t take long for him to reveal some different colours. Those pirates were right – he LOVES to break the rules.

At the beginning of his first turn, he will cast the power “Esprit de Corps”, granting himself and his allies increased accuracy and dodge. From that point on you’ll see a variety of different powers coming from him, including mojo reaver and sacrifice. You never know quite what to expect from him, so be prepared!

When Shrewsbury gets below half health, he shows exactly how expandable he thinks his allies are. He will hit them with a sacrifice (the damage seems to range from 3500-5000) thatt is always enough to restore him to full health and kill his minion.

With that information in mind, let’s take a look at the stats in this fight.

It seems he doesn't want to mention all those extra witchdoctor powers he likes to use. Notice that the esprit do corps is already in force. His full health (he had already taken some damage in this photo) is 2735.

One of Shrewbury's ill-fated allies. All of his allies hover around 2500 health and have identical talents.

Notice a few things:

1- Governor Shrewsbury’s health is not that much greater than that of his minions. If we want to get rid of these minions, it will be faster to knock off half of the boss’s health (1367 damage)and force him to sacrifice a minion, rather than to take out a minion ourselves. For this reason, it’s most efficient to focus your fire entirely on the boss.

2- While the minions do have musketeer talents, their most concerning epic talent (return fire) will only be triggered if your companions attempt to fire on them first. As long as you are focusing your team’s undivided attention on the boss, the minions are not particularly concerning.

3- Governor Shrewsbury is by nature a swashbuckler, which means that once his borrowed witchdoctor powers run out, he’s going to prefer combat in close quarters. However, thanks to his “repel boarders” talent, you want to force HIM to be the one to approach YOUR allies, not the other way around. He also has the talent “riposte”; in combination with the increased dodge power he’s used on himself, this can make him deadly to your melee companions. His naturally high swashbuckler dodge in combination with esprit de corps can make it exceptionally difficult to land a melee attack on him, and approaching him and then unsuccessfully trying to attack can trigger a talent chain of epic strikes…. most of them landing on your companion.

What Can Men Do Against Such Reckless Hate?

Governor Shrewsbury and his minions have one glaring weakness; they have no reall skills with which to fight back against ranged enemies.
    Despite his allies being ranged themselves, they do nothing but minor natural attacks against you unless you first provoke them. Shrewsbury usually needs to get close to you in order to harm you, and if you keep your distance, none of his epic talents will be activated. Stay back, hit him hard, and let him take out his minions for you. With an all-ranged fight, he CAN be tamed.

Take THAT, you overgrown rat! ..... sorry Mormo, I was talking about the Governor.

Video of this fight will be coming soon, once the team has had more time to venture through test realm! If you have any ideas or suggestions about this fight, or if you notice changes to this fight, just let me know!

This post contains 2 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by KindlyKatherine; 05-02-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Also known as Katherine Light ~ Need help? Click the picture to ask Mercenaries For Charter!
    Avatar of my oldest's pirate by the amazing AluraRB.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to KindlyKatherine For This Useful Post:

11Bobsing (05-09-2013),Aaron the Careless (08-04-2013),callingraven12 (05-25-2013),Cedric Young (05-02-2013),Cret92 (05-02-2013),Crushcut (05-02-2013),darekaon (06-20-2013),Fiery Red Morgan (05-02-2013),Tanner (05-02-2013),Toa of Gallifrey (05-02-2013)

Flash33 is offline Navigator

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Re: The Taming of the Shrewsbury

You mentioned that the redcoats most concerning talent is return fire, however it only activates if a musketeer weapon/unit misses an attack on them, unlike true grit which activates when a musketeer weapon/unit damages them.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

Cedric Young (05-02-2013)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by flash33 View Post
    You mentioned that the redcoats most concerning talent is return fire, however it only activates if a musketeer weapon/unit misses an attack on them, unlike true grit which activates when a musketeer weapon/unit damages them.
    I'm not sure where we disagree, lol. Maybe I need to fix my wording. When I say that return fire doesn't activate unless your companion fires on them, perhaps I should change that to "attempts to fire on them"? I guess that makes the point more clear, I'll edit it in. My point was - if you leave them alone and fire only on the boss, return fire won't activate.

Also known as Katherine Light ~ Need help? Click the picture to ask Mercenaries For Charter!

Flash33 is offline Navigator

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Quote Originally Posted by KindlyKatherine View Post
    I'm not sure where we disagree, lol. Maybe I need to fix my wording. When I say that return fire doesn't activate unless your companion fires on them, perhaps I should change that to "attempts to fire on them"? I guess that makes the point more clear, I'll edit it in. My point was - if you leave them alone and fire only on the boss, return fire won't activate.
    Don't worry, I knew the point you were trying to make, I just wanted to help clear up confusion you might've had as it sounded like you were confusing return fire with true grit.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

KindlyKatherine (05-02-2013),L0CK-0N (05-02-2013)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by flash33 View Post
    Don't worry, I knew the point you were trying to make, I just wanted to help clear up confusion you might've had as it sounded like you were confusing return fire with true grit.
    Thanks! I fired this thing off pretty fast and didn't think that wording it that way might be confusing, lol, but I can totally see now how it would sound like that. Hopefully it's a bit more clear now. and now BACK TO TEST!