PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Beat ALL the badies! :D Project

Since there are a ton of unusual and just plain tough enemies, I thought it would be great if we could share information and ideas (like how the boss cheated) and how we won. It's become next to impossible for us guide writers to keep up with the research because of the sheer volume of bosses, and the fact that their 'cheats' don't always seem to be simple or straightforward. If you have any ideas, either about how you think a boss might cheat or how to deal with them, this is the place to share them!

Any information posted here might end up in a future guide... but guide makers, if you're going to use this information, please be neighborly and credit (and thank!) the people whose thoughts and ideas you end up using.

Example entry and my notes on Sato.
    Sato is a main quest boss that you fight for Egg fo Yung (I hope I spelled that right) in order to get a tea deal on behalf of Marlybone.
    His cheat is shadow-stepping to somewhere else on the board after every hit. I haven't found a type of hit that would not trigger the cheat yet (I did not test musketeer attacks). Test privateer aoes, companion with greater mojo, and melee attacks. I did notice that after awhile he stopped using shadow step all together at which point El Toro destroyed him quickly. My tip would be to pick companions with epics that are triggered by enemy movements or enemy attacks. First strike proved very useful as he would port before attacking.

(If you don't like taking notes, recording and posting the raw video to youtube and then here is very handy.)
    English.exe is unstable. Multiple errors are likely.

Captain! My Captain! Chain Theory Micromania

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nesogra For This Useful Post:

Fiery Red Morgan (05-03-2013),Ionz (05-03-2013),Paul (05-03-2013)

Paul is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Re: Beat ALL the badies! :D Project

Thanks, good idea, Nesogra! Few rough notes on Rooke...there are actually two separate fights with him back to back. The first is more complex. Honestly, the hardest thing about the instance is MAKING IT THROUGH with enough MOJO POTIONS. On my Musk, the second time around, I was able to make it to the Armada Dragoon fight without consuming a Mojo Potion. Keep yourself back and healed up by the way. Let your companions do the heavy lifting in the earlier fights.

Rooke Fight 1 in Trafalgar Vortex

Super FUN fight, really. Maybe the most fun fight I've yet to encounter in all Pirate! Deacon to about the tenth power of difficulty. The difficult thing here is that part of the fight "conditions" in the upper left corner of the battle board list "Protect Admiral Nelson," who is not, though very brave, himself the sturdiest bulb in the lantern. I didn't "find out what happens" if Nelson dies, so that's somewhat of a question mark. Not wanting to throw caution to the wind, I remember healing him at least twice. I'd generally tend to suggest leaning toward players not "finding out."

There are little fires all over the board that will keep damaging anybody adjacent to them...major pain, because Nelson likes to run all over the board into danger. Generally, the ones closer to you, though yes they are also a benefit against Rooke's troops, I'd still recommend clearing them with some sort of larger AoE.

At the end of the fight Nelson kept running around with nobody to fight and "did himself in" over a spike trap. Another thing about those spike traps: THEY ARE NOT HARMLESS. They can slice a good third of health away.

For the fight I picked Bonnie, Toro, and Wing Chun. The Armada Dragoons and Battle Angels, IMHO, are your top takedown priorities as they generally dish out the nastiest "stuff."

There is also a second fight with Rooke. Instead of a separate section detailing that fight...as it is more straight forward and head on...what's more interesting to me about Rooke is his Epics.

Understanding Rooke's Epics (in lieu of Rooke Fight 2)

Castle: Any of Rooke's troops moving adjacent to him get "Castled." I moused over this stat/Epic during Planning Phase and it read as a +1 symbol with a green arrow up. +1 of what I welcome speculation to? +1 to Epics is my best guess. I regret not checking the epic tier status post-Castling, in fact. Hopefully somebody notices. Keep yer eyes peeled if you haven't got there yet! Hold the Line3, can be kinda scary, so be on the lookout for that.

Rookechet! Do yerself a favor and DO NOT SHOOT ROOKE! Especially with a companion like Bonnie/Cogburn who you more than likely will have Tiered 2 on Burst Fire. What this Epic does is if you shoot Rooke he doesn't take any damage, instead he deflects all the shooting BACK ONTO YOU/YOUR COMPANIONS....x2 SHOOTY EPICS TO BOOT! Lol, too much fun! So let's say you shoot him once with Bonnie's basic attack (though you ARE good to go on her Scatterblast) and she Burst Fires three times. Rooke will take no damage, instead he shoots Bonnie back four times with her own...ammo. Kinda scary stuff. Musketeer Powers don't activate Rookechet though. If you got Musk companions with Burst Fire and Overwatch, I'd recommend a safe distance.

Overprotective: Haven't fully understood the nature of this Epic; welcome alternative insights. If you approach Rooke and come adjacent to him, he will push you/your companion back approx. two (I'm guessing unoccupied?) squares. Combined with Rookechet, this leaves our companions in somewhat of a pickle, aye? I'm leaning toward suggesting that Pirates is how you take out Rooke, not Companions, but interested what others think...

Counter Gambit: ????? I have NO IDEA what this Epic does. It's not very apparent in the heat of battle. It involves some sort of bonus attack, I'm just not sure yet. Be interesting to see one of ye Scallywags pin it down to a T.

Hope there's none I missed/forgot about. Wish everybody the best with Rooke!
    Last edited by Paul; 05-03-2013 at 02:49 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-03-2013),Nick (05-03-2013)

Ionz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• Ionz's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nathan
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Marleybone Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Amused

Counter Gambit is a move similar to the new Bucc move. Rooke hits until he misses...which is uber dangerous.

~Ion

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ionz For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-04-2013),Paul (05-04-2013)

KindlyKatherine is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

wooow those are come crazy crazy fights. Can't wait to get through them holy cow! I guess it would be wise ot use melee comps, use them to stand between rooke and his allies and prevent castle? But melee comps get blocked so darn much. :/

I would love some cold hard info on the Sato fight. In theory he moves every time he's hit, but there are some AoEs that don't trigger his 'escape' shadow step move. Mormo's improved mojo blast didn't and none of my group or wand attacks did, but apparently some other group attacks DID make him escape, and it may change when he hits half health? I'm trying to nail down particulars on this.... if anyone has any insight I'd appreciate it a LOT.

Also known as Katherine Light ~ Need help? Click the picture to ask Mercenaries For Charter!
    Avatar of my oldest's pirate by the amazing AluraRB.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KindlyKatherine For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-03-2013)

Cret92 is offline Helmsman
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Cret92's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciless Morgrim
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Thinking

I have some information on a boss named Hykssoss or something like that (99% chance I spelled that wrong). First, he spams Rain of Mortarshells early on so it's best to spread out to prevent getting yourself trapped by the multitude of bombs. Secondly, when he is defeated, the minions get some sort of debuff on them called Lost Sheep. Picture below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2013-05-02 19-53-57.jpg  

Illustrated Guide to Companion Promotions, Illustrated Guide to Crowns Companions

"Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cret92 For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-03-2013)

Paul is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Banditti (Musketeer), in Achae, in the Cave instance you go in to get the poet Pandion, has an interesting little cheat. For one thing, he whips out a new epic called Repel Assault. I don't quite get how it's any different than Repel Borders. Perhaps requires a "planned attack" of Banditti in order to activate whereas Borders is just movement? Hmmm...

But anyway his "cheat" is the scrub of vines under my pirates boots you see pictured below. They "immoblize" you for 4-5(?) rounds. He seems to bring out this immobilization cheat when his health is fairly depleted, but I'd recommend more testing to be sure of that as a fact. Interestingly enough, on my Musk I found I couldn't single target any enemy. It wouldn't let me select them to hit them without a range area power during immobilization. Wha-what? Lol? Anyway, Banditti (hope I'm spelling that right) has 4000 some health, too. Be mindful; the increase in health was a bit of a shock for me; it doesn't exactly creep up on ya but it does however creep you out! ;P
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2013-05-03 10-47-33.jpg  
    Last edited by Paul; 05-03-2013 at 11:02 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-03-2013)

Retamapark is offline Deckhand

• Retamapark's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Leo Irving
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Marleybone Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Something I've noticed is that the third level of some epics, in addition to gaining an additional effect, get a new name. This might explain some of the "new" epics we've seen. For example, I know that the third level of Relentless is Follow Through, and the additional hits from it deal 25% more damage. I also believe Covering Fire is the third level of Crossfire, and it seems to activate when the user's adjacent ally is attacked.
    Last edited by Retamapark; 05-03-2013 at 11:52 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Retamapark For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-03-2013)

Ionz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• Ionz's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nathan
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Marleybone Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Amused

Here is a list of collected data through out test realm:

Governor Shrewsberry:
    • The final battle in the St. Fido's Church dungeon
    • Posses the ability "Leech" that will sacrifice another monster from the field for a full health re-gain.
    • Be warned, he is a swashbuckler, so he will hit hard, if not deadly.
    • Tip: Kill all OTHER monsters before Shrewsberry. Try using AoE spells near the boss; He might finish a monster you don't want off.
    • Tip: If in a group, have one person join, then the rest enter on the following round to avoid many Side Monsters.

Lt. Pembroke:
    • The final boss in the Fort Basset Cellar dungeon
    • He will spawn across the map, in between a line of TnT Crates.
    • Tip: Blow up the Crates within round one; The match will be a quick one.
    • He uses smoke bombs that block line of sight for ranged attackers.
    • Tip: Use Melee comp's in the line up, esp. Swash's w/ Gaurn. Critical to kill Pembroke quickly.

Sato:
    • Final boss in the Scarlet Orchid Tea Room dungeon
    • Posses the ability Escape Artist that teleports him to a secluded battle space for the round after being hit by melee attacks and several ranged hits (Although there seems to be a slight change in pattern when it comes to some special attacks), blocking him from almost any attack.
    • Tip: Have something or someone keep that area occupied. Ie: Shadow Step, Summon Minion, Obstacle.
    • Drops cool sunglasses @-@

Red Fox Gang Members:
    • In various locations throughout Early MB.
    • Renyards/Foxes and Renyard bosses posses Crossfire 2, that is an Attack-Multiple-Enemy ability that bursts a shot to nearby units.
    • Tip: Do not get in between them. Kill them off FIRST.
    • Tip: Use any type of accuracy debuff on them to avoid any burst fire's.

Armada Battle Angels:
    • One of the big hitter Bucc's in the Armada line up.
    • Have high dodge powers and relentless abilities
    • Tip: Use any Gaurn. Attacks or Special Effect (IE: Curse, Poison) on them.
    • Tip: They are weak against ranged/will/magic attacks.

Bishop (MB encounter):
    • Appears twice in the Beachhead Main Battery dungeon (In battle at least)
    • Possess the Leech ability that does NOT sacrifice minions, rather harms them slightly, for an abundance of health.
    • Also possess a magical spell that hits multiple people with a power lightning burst of what seems to be in an "X" formation.
    • Tip: Kill all enemies before even touching Bishop. Unlike the shrewsberry fight, you aren't getting any kills off of him.
    • Tip: Use at least 2 Melee comps. Since he is guarded by some Battle Angels, you need a ranged, but since he is also of the WD class, he is weak against any Melee hits.

Clockwork Dragoon's:
    • Hard hitting Armada Tanks that appear frequently in the second half of MB.
    • They will constantly hit with a flying bomb attack that leaves fire traps in area's units aren't in.
    • Be warned ranged units! They will shoot back at you, stick to Melee Comps.
    • That being said...they can used ranged AND melee attacks.
    • Tip: Use as many NON-RANGED attacks as possible. Mojo Blade, Poison, etc. Anything that doesn't include range hitting
    • Tip: If you can, USE TRAPS. Even if these people are tanks, they are still weak against traps. The Gracie Concord trap deals 600 Damage to anybody who is near the mine. Take traps to your advantage.

Rooke:
    • The second to final AND final boss fight in the Wreck of Victory dungeon, Aka, Final dungeon of MB.
    • He is, in fact, a tank Bucc. He has several Special abilities that will protect and defend him and his units.
    • He has the Rookechet (As mentioned by another user) ability that deflects any ranged attacks to the attacker.
    • Tip: Do not use ranged attacks, but if you are a Musk. Pirate, use TRAPS...The tanks worst enemy.
    • He has the Castle and Overprotective ability that seem to play hand to hand at some points. Castle ability defends adjacent enemy units with some sort of boost, but what i've speculated is that it triggers the overprotective ability that triggers a hit to any incoming units.
    • Tip: Kill Rooke as soon as you possibly can. Once he is down, the rest of the fight will be easiER...not necessarily easy though.
    • He also has the Counter Gambit ability that will hit any enemy until he MISSES, which may take a while if he gets a Bladestorm streak going.
    • Tip: Accuracy/Dodge Buff as much as you can. The more you dodge or block, the much much MUCH better chances you have in surviving.
    • Tip: Although this may be a bug, it is not guaranteed to protect Admiral Nelson throughout the fight, even though he is a battle objective. Save your heals on yourself...YOU are the main person you have to protect.

That should cover most of Book 13's big baddies. I will try to collect some more data as I go further into Aquila.

~Ion
    Last edited by Ionz; 05-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ionz For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-04-2013)

L0CK-0N is offline Lookout

• L0CK-0N's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Kai Vinter
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Mooshu Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Woot

For governor shewsberry it best to just start attack him straight away so that he kills off his own team.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to L0CK-0N For This Useful Post:

nesogra (05-04-2013)