Alejandro is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

A Hypothetical Guide to Resistance Around the Spiral.

I was playing around on my friends Witchdoctor when I realized that not only does the character have resistance and armor, but so does the enemy. With this realization, I went to the Pirate101 Wiki to look at this. I then found that the Wiki has yet to track these two statistics. To attempt to change this, I have devised a simple equation for resistance. (A-B)+(B-C)=X

A=Damage done to box,crate,or rock.
    B=Damage done to enemy. (Preferably Buccaneer, but can be any class.)
    C=Damage done to 2nd enemy. (The one you need information on)
    N=Damage difference between two creatures. Now symbolized as B-C
    X=Resistance
    Lets try this equation out on an easy enemy. Today we will use Ensign Emmet and his companions. I tested this 30 times to be sure that it is correct. I chose the sloth because he was next to Ensign every time. The numbers I use are ones that I chose from my last attempt.

A=713
    B=713
    C=709
    (A-B)+(B-C)=X
    (713-713)+(713-709)=X
    0+4=X
    4=X
    Ensign Emmet has 4 Resistance

I later tested this many times, and found that Ensign Emmet has a range of 3-5 resistance.

Now lets say I used Ensign Emmet as the the B variable.
    A=713
    B=709
    C=713
    (A-B)+(B-C)=X
    (713-709)+(709-713)=X
    4+(-4)=X
    0=X
    Barnubus Sloth has 0 Resistance

This provides an excellent way to check your equation.

Lets make up an equation now... This will show how the equation can come in handy. I am actually struggling with correctly forming this due to the fact that life isn't rainbows and butterflies, and that enemies have a range of data. I think I understand the equation though, but this might be only circumstantial. This may allow you to find the resistance of an enemy with not extra items such as rocks and crates in the area.

(B-C)=N ---> (A-B)+N=X

A=458
    B=412-429
    C=366
    X=75
    You fight John (C) and his minion Dave (B) There are no rocks.
    (B-C)≈N
    412-366≈N
    46≈N
    46 Damage Difference

Later you fight a group of Dave with rocks, but get different damage on Dave this time.
    (A-B)+N=X
    (458-429)+46=X
    29+46=X
    75=X
    John would have blocked about 75 Damage

You now know that John has a least (or at most) 75 Resistance due to rocks having zero. This is a flawed system, but it would work out well enough. You could find the differences in damage done to Dave and John, and make an estimation on John's Resistance due the resistance that Dave has compared to the resistance (or should I say lack there of) of the rocks.

Lets check if this equation works with our old weasel friend Emmet.

A=758
    B=758
    C=755
    (B-C)=N
    (758-755)=N
    3=N

(A-B)+N=X
    (758-758)+3=X
    0+3=X
    3=X
    3 Resistance

This is a simple test, but I believe that these two equations can be further improved to allow the resistance to be a known statistic around the spiral.
    Last edited by Alejandro; 11-17-2013 at 10:22 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Alejandro For This Useful Post:

11Bobsing (11-17-2013),Brianna (11-17-2013),Connor Dayleaf (11-18-2013),CunningJustinSilver (11-17-2013),Fiery Red Morgan (11-18-2013),Pieandstuff (11-30-2013)

Brianna is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Brianna's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Brave Brianna Noble
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Haunted Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Re: A Hypothetical Guide to Resistance Around the Spiral.

Nice,

But like you say, it's all well and good to test this out, but there's no way to tell if it's really accurate because companions (and enemies) have a damage range rather than a set figure.

I guess the best way to eliminate this factor is to do a large number of replicates (again as you have done). Anyone have any altered equations or methods to get around this? I don't even know if it's possible.

By the way, can you elaborate on what N stands for? Number? xD I understand how you've worked the equation but is there a better explanation of what you mean by this?

Brave Brianna Noble | Musketeer

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Brianna For This Useful Post:

Alejandro (11-17-2013)

Cedric Young is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Ratbeard, one of the P101 Develpers, gave information about Resist/Armor on the P101 Message Boards. Basically, Armor/Resist is a Range, like Weapon Damage is a Range. The Mininum of the range is 1/2 of the amount of armor/resist you, a companion, or an enemy has. The maximum is the amount of armor/resist that you have.

But the amount of armor applied is random. If your character sheet shows Armor 10, the reduction is 5-10; if it is 100, the reduction is 50-100.

Between 1/2 X and X each time.

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cedric Young For This Useful Post:

Blaze LionRider (11-18-2013),Fiery Red Morgan (11-18-2013)

Alejandro is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric Young View Post
    Ratbeard, one of the P101 Develpers, gave information about Resist/Armor on the P101 Message Boards. Basically, Armor/Resist is a Range, like Weapon Damage is a Range. The Mininum of the range is 1/2 of the amount of armor/resist you, a companion, or an enemy has. The maximum is the amount of armor/resist that you have.
    Hmm, that is good to know, I will see what I can do with it. That could help specify stats, allow stats to be checked. Emmet is a great example that can assist this, also proving that the stat is rounded up.

That being said, what I am really trying to do here is find a way to figure out the specific number of Resistance that an enemy has. I believe it would be quite beneficial to find a way to add the statistic of Resistance and Armor to the Wiki if we could find the fool proof way to determine this statistic.

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.