Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    Milt's Avatar
       Milt is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,426
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2,502
    Thanks (Received)
    2,964
    Gold
    1,635
    Alienated

    Buccaneering Philosophies

    Ever since I've started working on my Buccaneer, I've been testing out some sort of philosophies. Some may say that Buccaneers have some detrimental weaknesses (lack of powers, lack of companions, etc.). After having spent a long time playing as Buccaneer, I'm now convinced that Buccaneers have two very powerful niches. The first one involves Vengeance Strike, and the second one involves Brutal/Vicious Charge. I don't think I've ever seen these two philosophies discussed before, so I'll be happy to share them.


    Vengeance Strike is one of the best epic talents that Buccaneers could ask for, because they have the right tools to take advantage of it. Buccaneers have access to heavy armor, most of which sport a hefty amount of armor; and since Buccaneers are very capable of having over 100 armor, they can shrug off melee attacks with ease. Throw in a Leviathan's Call, and those Manticores will be no more frightening than kittens.

    This leads me to my first philosophy: In order to use Vengeance Strike properly, you must use it economically. In order words, Vengeance Strike's damage output must be greater than the damage taken to activate it. So if an enemy Swashbuckler does 300 damage to you while Vengeance Strike only does 200 damage to them, then you're losing more health than you should. Luckily, that is only an issue with most companions; Buccaneers can easily capitalize off of Vengeance Strike. This philosophy has definitely saved me a couple of times in Aquila.


    While Brutal Charge and Vicious Charge might not be Assassin's Strike, these two powers have a very distinct advantage of Assassin's Strike: they can nerf the target's accuracy by 50% for quite a while. That debuff alone makes the lives of Buccaneer so much easier, especially in PvE! Those powers are best used on Musketeers and Witchdoctors, because if they're not using powers, they will miss more or fizzle often than not. That's not all, the accuracy debuff also lets Buccaneers support their companions indirectly; their companions no longer have to worry all too much about Musketeers landing every attack or Witchdoctors throwing AoEs.

    And so this is my second philosophy: Brutal/Vicious Charge aren't attack powers with supporting benefits, they are support powers with attacking benefits. While this might be a difficult concept to grasp, once you see those powers as supporting powers, then you should be able to solo incredibly tricky battles against range-based foes. This philosophy literally saved me from the Satyrs in Achaea! Once I landed a Brutal/Vicious Charge on them, they started having so much trouble trying to get their attacks to activate.


    What are your thoughts on these Buccaneering philosophies?
    Last edited by Milt; 01-12-2014 at 02:02 PM.
    Dante Tolliver ~ Level 65 Buccaneer | Henri Devereaux ~ Level 65 Swashbuckler | Marcus Laverne ~ Level 65 Musketeer
    Dandy Sam Creighton ~ Level 65 Witchdoctor | Tyler Paisley ~ Level 65 Privateer



  2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Milt For This Useful Post:

    AlexandraDevereauX (01-12-2014),Brianna (01-12-2014),Cedric Young (01-12-2014),Cret92 (01-12-2014),CSHildebrand (01-13-2014),Darkheart (01-14-2014),Eric Stormbringer (03-31-2014),Erudite (01-13-2014),Fiery Red Morgan (01-14-2014),FieryAutumn (01-12-2014),Good ol Lefty (01-14-2014),nesogra (01-13-2014),NumberCruncher (01-13-2014),One-Eyed Jack (01-13-2014),Paul (01-15-2014),Peanut Butter King (02-03-2014),Psylent Night (01-12-2014),Row4n (01-13-2014),ShadowPhoenix (01-13-2014)




  3. #2
    Cret92's Avatar
       Cret92 is offline Helmsman
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

    • Cret92's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciless Morgrim
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    3,989
    PvP Tournaments Won
    1
    Thanks
    1,921
    Thanks (Received)
    6,922
    Gold
    5,763
    Thinking

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    I absolutely agree. On my Buccaneer those powers have literally carried the entire battle before. Combine that with increased threat and your companions can come in relatively unnoticed or unharmed.

    Illustrated Guide to Companion Promotions, Illustrated Guide to Crowns Companions

    "Don't judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins"



  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cret92 For This Useful Post:

    Milt (01-12-2014)


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    381
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    239
    Thanks (Received)
    307
    Gold
    0

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Quote Originally Posted by Cret92 View Post
    I absolutely agree. On my Buccaneer those powers have literally carried the entire battle before. Combine that with increased threat and your companions can come in relatively unnoticed or unharmed.
    Have you noticed the increased threat working better than it was before?



  6. #4
    Milt's Avatar
       Milt is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,426
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2,502
    Thanks (Received)
    2,964
    Gold
    1,635
    Alienated

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Interestingly, Barnabus seems to have been set up with both philosophies in mind; I have extremely high hopes for Buccaneer in the future .

    Last edited by Milt; 01-13-2014 at 05:31 PM.
    Dante Tolliver ~ Level 65 Buccaneer | Henri Devereaux ~ Level 65 Swashbuckler | Marcus Laverne ~ Level 65 Musketeer
    Dandy Sam Creighton ~ Level 65 Witchdoctor | Tyler Paisley ~ Level 65 Privateer



  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Milt For This Useful Post:

    nesogra (01-14-2014)


  8. #5
    Good ol Lefty's Avatar
       Good ol Lefty is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

    • Good ol Lefty's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Wicked Victor Armstrong
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    318
    PvP Tournaments Won
    1
    Thanks
    122
    Thanks (Received)
    235
    Gold
    12
    Cool

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    Interestingly, Barnabus seems to have been set up with both philosophies in mind; I have extremely high hopes for Buccaneer in the future .
    I learned that out the hard way last night in PvP against another Buccaneer.

    I couldn't agree with you more that the Vicious Charge cards should be used mainly for supporting not attacking. I just lost in a 4 (Levels 65, 65, 43, and 7) vs 1 PvP match in Avery, 20 minutes ago on my maxed Buccaneer. Although I lost, I'm totally happy with the results. The winning team only had 3 companions (2 Zeenas and Swash Dino from Tribal Pack about to die) left before they finished me off. I might've actually won if I had 2 Leviathan's Calls to block Shooty attack damage. Long story short, I think Buccaneers are totally underrated in PvP and they can be a tremendous asset to any team when played right.

    Cunning Victor Sharp - 65 / Wicked Victor Armstrong - 65 / Dark Victor Evans - 65
    Charming Victor Nightingale - 65 / Ruthless Victor Wright - 65




  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Good ol Lefty For This Useful Post:

    Milt (01-13-2014)


  10. #6
    NightsTalon's Avatar
       NightsTalon is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • NightsTalon's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Cynical Talon Nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  28
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Frigate
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    100
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    61
    Thanks (Received)
    32
    Gold
    94
    Cynical

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    My usual sequence, assuming I have my Mustang Gaucho and Thunder Hoof is:


    Charge up to the boss (or the strongest mob in the fight), letting the Gaucho and Thunder both hit a second mob. Then, I bring Thunder up to the boss and let the remaining mobs crowd us, so I can use Bombardment. Then, I use the Swashbuckler stealth thing and let Thunder continue to hit the boss. I come out of stealth next turn, using Assassin's Strike to knock down the boss, and set Gaucho and Thunder to hit the next mob, and so on. After I nix the boss, I set Talon and both his companions to hit one target at a time until the fight's done. I've only died once since I set that plan up.

    Credit to Toffeecakes123 for the sig!



  11. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    528
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanks (Received)
    1,283
    Gold
    592

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Personally, I think the talk of philosophies and niches doesn't illustrate bucc's true power, it covers it up.

    Buccaneer is a class with very little complexity but when coupled with what companions you draw, how those companions are trained, what enemies you are facing, what those enemies have, etc., etc. you can pull off some very cleaver and powerful combos. Allow me to illustrate this by providing a counter example to this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    This leads me to my first philosophy: In order to use Vengeance Strike properly, you must use it economically. In order words, Vengeance Strike's damage output must be greater than the damage taken to activate it. So if an enemy Swashbuckler does 300 damage to you while Vengeance Strike only does 200 damage to them, then you're losing more health than you should.
    While this is a great general guideline it ignores what taking those hits can do for the rest of the team. While you may have lost the damage battle in that chain by eating up those epics on a unit (usually the bucc pirate, though the shields will usually make all chains favor you) that can better take the damage you open up the enemy for a bigger damage burst from another unit, such as EL TORO!! *insert trumpet* to really eat into the enemies health thus negating the squishiness of the higher damage unit. Add to this the fact that veng 3 is a sneak attack so it can preempt the enemy epic which gives the ability to kill an enemy that is close to death (giving a free blade storm) or if the enemy doesn't die it can stun them completely shutting out all of their epics. There have been more than a few time where an enemy swash or bucc with many epics would attack my bucc pirate and get stunned making them a sitting duck in the next turn for my swashes.

    Now notice I mention 'my swashes'. This is going to get very deep very quick so try to keep up . I prefer to have a melee heavy team in battle because I've always been able to use my bucc to eat epics on enemies that could chain on a melee companion. This lets me use swashes who have higher natural damage to begin with, high agility which reduces the threat from musks and other swashes, and high dodge which reduces the threat from wds. Now even with all of this using mainly swash comps is still more risky than a balanced team because one burst of damage from the enemies could potentially reduce a swash comp's health low enough to where they all focus fire on it to finish it off (I'm not sure if the health itself is the reason they focus fire or if it's the threat created by that comp's damage but enemies do seem to focus fire more than they used to). However I have a trick up my sleeve for this...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2014-01-13 19-51-45b.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	49431
    Those two revives I got from gear were game changing. Even with bucc's low will they let me counter lucky bursts of damage by either healing a companion before it gets low or healing it just enough to keep it alive until the I can get the enemies attacking another of my units that isn't close to being dead. Even if it only lives for one more turn, that is one more turn of dealing more damage than my pirate can. Is that it? Of course not!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WE-NEED-TO-GO-DEEPER.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	49430
    Three of my swashes have the same epics, relentless rank2, first strike rank 1, and riposte rank 1. What this gives me is very big burst of damage on one enemy at a time because if I don't manage to eat every epic with my pirate or the enemy attacks my swash it gives me up to 2 extra attacks and thus 2 extra chances to trigger relentless on ONE enemy. This will often either kill and enemy outright (and remember death is the ultimate debuff ) or get the enemy with one hit from death giving my bucc an opportunity to blade storm.

    Other little tricks I keep up my sleeve...
    • I use the acc debuffs on melee enemies (like the maticores) that could deal big burst of damage to a companion instead of musketeers. I can counter the steady stream of damage from musketeers with the heals plus the acc debuff will make the melee enemy more likely to trigger riposte. Also musks with quick adjust are likely to hit even with the debuff.... :\
    • It is very easy to fit other companions in with this set up. Three examples... If I pull Bonnie or Billy I can easily use them to finish off enemies (usually buccs) with relentless + other epics that are close to death but still dangerous to my swashes or to just deal extra damage in general. Barnabus, Gracie, and other comps with veng can help eat more epics and most have either useful powers or relentless for even more damage (especially against enemy musks). Will based companions like Catbeard and Old Scratch can provide good burst of damage against enemies that are harder to get other comps to prock relent/burst on because those enemies have lower will. I can pretty much use any companion (provided they are trained well enough) that pops up.
    • Since most of my units can move and attack in the same turn defeating things like greater mojo blast is easy. Wds in general (to my great surprise) were easier to kill than when on my priv... While yes they can deal great damage against me... since they have little to no armor, I can reduce their accuracy, my comps usually have melee damage and higher dodge... (*evil giggle*) wd enemies don't live very long.
    • By having my pirate move first and having many units on the front lines it is very easy for one of my units to 'walk through' another unit to avoid movement triggered epics.
    • The glancing blow is more important to me than the debuff in most battles because I can use the first attack to hit and hopefully finish off one enemy giving me both a glancing blow and a blade storm on the next enemy. If they happen to have veng or first strike that's two more chances for me to deal an extra damage burst on to that one enemy. Though I have also (if the enemy had very little health and I could get only two enemies in range) used a charge on the enemy next to the weak enemy and have the glancing blow finish the weak enemy to get another blade storm hit in ^_^. A bit risky but really fun.


    All this gives me a lot of flexibility in battle to react to what the enemies throw at me from very few and very simple tools. In other word I get a ton of depth out of relatively little complexity making my bucc setup very elegant (which given the way I think makes it very easy for me to play).

    Now at this point you might be thinking 'but isn't this vengeance strike philosophy'. No and here is why. In this set up vengeance is just one piece in the puzzle, not a strength in itself. The goal is to have each action by a unit of mine give an opportunity to another unit to show its strength thus further increasing the power of the team as a whole.

    This is what buccaneer is about, synergy. How to achieve that synergy is dependent on what tools you have. Let me give you another example (which I promise will be much shorter ).

    Let's say that instead of the heals I get a bunch of gear with assassin's strike on each piece. Assassin's strike is a sneak attack which means it won't prock as many epics and assassin's strike leaves a bleed for 250ish extra damage each of the enemies next turns. While wasting the bleed off of one assassin's strike isn't a big deal that extra 500 damage over multiple assassin's strikes that extra damage really starts to add up so it makes sense to attack a different enemy with strike each turn to start racking up bleed damage. With this set up veng will still activate in battle but it will happen during your enemies turn (when they attack you) and will tend to be more random instead of the focused chains of the previous build. Why does this matter? Using swash companions heavily no longer makes sense because they relied on me eating epics, finishing off a single enemy fast, and healing to protect them. This runs counter to the optimal play of the strike build and since you are hitting with a very beffy attack power the damage from swashes isn't as important. Instead this build would be better severed with musketeer companions that can finish off weak enemies. With bonnie as your first mate you would not only have a companion with double tap for extra hits off of the weak enemies you would also have a companion that could heal your bucc pirate should it's health start to run low (since more enemies will be alive at once to hit you). Add reckless frenzy for even more spread damage.... .

    No powers from gear? No problem!! Another way to play without any powers is to have a bucc heavy team, use your strength buffs, and go stuff. Ok it does get deeper than that, in fact it plays alot like the first setup but you need to use tanker companions (hence bucc heavy) because you have less ability to protect them without the heals.

    In short, it isn't about what your bucc pirate or any individual companion can do, it's about forming a team that can build off each other. I guess you can say I have a 'synergy philosophy' .

    Thank you for starting this discussion Milt. I think I have enough here to make a new bucc guide or greatly add to my existing one XD.
    Last edited by nesogra; 01-14-2014 at 01:03 AM.
    English.exe is unstable. Multiple errors are likely.

    Captain! My Captain! Chain Theory Micromania



  12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nesogra For This Useful Post:

    Cedric Young (01-14-2014),Cret92 (01-14-2014),Darkheart (01-14-2014),Eric Stormbringer (03-31-2014),Fiery Red Morgan (01-14-2014),Milt (01-14-2014),potroast42 (01-14-2014),Row4n (01-14-2014)


  13. #8
    Milt's Avatar
       Milt is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,426
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2,502
    Thanks (Received)
    2,964
    Gold
    1,635
    Alienated

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Oh man Neso, you let it go like a hammer to a nail, but I'm not about to give up . If these philosophies hadn't worked for me, I wouldn't have posted about them (and I'd be stranded somewhere in Fort Basset).


    You say that Buccaneers are meant to absorb epics for the rest of their team? I concede that it's applicable, bless Leviathan's Call, though if certain ones like Overwatch or Readied Spell will only matter for one turn throughout the entire match, then letting a companion tank some epics shouldn't hurt; Old Scratch with Valor's Fortress has no problem doing that. Speaking of Valor's Fortress, any companion durable enough could do that job for me with that power, which gives me free time to use Whale's Might during the 1st turn.


    Getting back to Buccaneer, I don't really see a need to focus on melee foes first when nearly all Musketeers and Witchdoctors cannot be hit with Vengeance Strike; in fact, you can say that Vengeance Strike Rank 3 is a way to keep the melee classes quiet while taking down the aforementioned classes. Granted, Buccaneers don't have the same problems as Swashbucklers, but it's always a good idea to take down the unchainable classes first.

    And while we're on the subject of Vengeance Strike, Privateer companions like Gracie Conrad really shouldn't be using Vengeance Strike in the first place because higher-level foes will outdamage her in the chain (thus going back to my Vengeance Strike philosophy); in addition, Gracie Conrad can't learn Vengeance Strike Rank 3; Cheap Shot Rank 3 lets her stun foes without getting into an epic fight. Swashbucklers with Vengeance Strike are a little iffy; they have the damage output and it does reward them for getting hit, but they don't have the health or armor to take advantage of it in the long run. Besides, Riposte is far more economical than Vengeance Strike; dishing out damage while taking in nothing is amazing!


    Blade Storm is very useful, so you have a point there. Being able to take out a foe with Glancing Blow is also satisfying. Death is the ultimate debuff? Yeah, you're right about that too. Quick Adjust Musketeers are a pain to deal with, which is why they're my very first priority in battle, though I still use my charge powers on Musketeers because they're unchainable and unvengeable. And Witchdoctors go down super easily once Vicious Charge is used on them, so we can agree on that.


    I believe the main differences between our philosophies are our gear and priorities. I typically don't use No Auction gear unless they provide direct stat boosts or epic talents (a Repel Boarders Rank 3 item would be nice ), and I love having my epic talents get the job done because they always replenish themselves at the start of every turn.
    Last edited by Milt; 01-14-2014 at 10:32 AM.
    Dante Tolliver ~ Level 65 Buccaneer | Henri Devereaux ~ Level 65 Swashbuckler | Marcus Laverne ~ Level 65 Musketeer
    Dandy Sam Creighton ~ Level 65 Witchdoctor | Tyler Paisley ~ Level 65 Privateer



  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milt For This Useful Post:

    Eric Stormbringer (03-31-2014),nesogra (01-14-2014)


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    528
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2,180
    Thanks (Received)
    1,283
    Gold
    592

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    Oh man Neso, you let it go like a hammer to a nail, but I'm not about to give up . If these philosophies hadn't worked for me, I wouldn't have posted about them (and I'd be stranded somewhere in Fort Basset).
    I'm not questioning weather they work or not, my issue is with trying to narrow the focus of what bucc can do in battle to just those two tools. Vengeance strike and the debuff from the charges are defiantly bucc's most powerful abilities when used correctly but they aren't the only thing bucc can do. What you've posted is an awesome starting point for new buccs but they need to be able to build off of it instead of just taking it as cannon. What I'm worried about is something like young balance wizards and judgement happening with young buccs...

    I'm sure you remember this but for those who weren't around then... A lot of the early talk about balance (in wizard101) was how strong Lady J is. The balance players that were discussing on the forums used more than judgement but they disproportionally discussed judgement. By doing so they left a false impression with new players (such as me at that time) that judgement was the spell to use. Because of this many new players (including me for a bit) began to rely on judgement as a crutch leaving them unprepared for battles against balance bosses that would resist balance damage. This was a problem because, while many of those players did figure out they needed to use a different tactic (spec blast) for balance bosses, not being prepared for those battles before hand was frustrating (and if you need proof of this, just look at how many times a balance prism came up). By disproportionally discussing judgement the veteran balance wizards were doing a disservice to new players.

    That's my issue with focusing on vengeance strike and the charges as philosophies. While they are bucc's most powerful tools and using them well is vital to playing bucc well they are only two of its tools. Any discussion needs to leave the impression that there is more to bucc than just those two tricks and preferably talk about some of the other tricks as well. Other wise when players hit a battle like the hydra where those tools can fail they may not be ready to adapt to the new circumstance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    You say that Buccaneers are meant to absorb epics for the rest of their team? I concede that it's applicable, bless Leviathan's Call, though if certain ones like Overwatch or Readied Spell will only matter for one turn throughout the entire match, then letting a companion tank some epics shouldn't hurt; Old Scratch with Valor's Fortress has no problem doing that. Speaking of Valor's Fortress, any companion durable enough could do that job for me with that power, which gives me free time to use Whale's Might during the 1st turn.
    Agreed

    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    Getting back to Buccaneer, I don't really see a need to focus on melee foes first when nearly all Musketeers and Witchdoctors cannot be hit with Vengeance Strike; in fact, you can say that Vengeance Strike Rank 3 is a way to keep the melee classes quiet while taking down the aforementioned classes. Granted, Buccaneers don't have the same problems as Swashbucklers, but it's always a good idea to take down the unchainable classes first.
    I don't go for a specific class first, I go for the biggest threat that I can kill quickly first. Since I use a swash heavy team I tend to go for wds first (because if they do hit they hit hard and they are also quick kills) followed by melee enemies because they can chain. Chains that I don't control are a major threat to my companions because it gives enemies a chance to get multiple hits in one round of combat before I get a chance to heal them. The veng stun isn't going to keep all of the melee enemies quiet but what it does do is give an opening for my comps. This way they can hammer an otherwise dangerous target for one round before it expires hopefully getting that enemy close enough to death to finish off easily. Musks are far less of a threat because swash have a built in defense with their agility and since both are agility based relentless is less effective against musks. This leads to musks taking longer for me to kill than other enemy types so I save them for last when I have them outnumbered.
    All of that is dependent on my companion choices. If I was using a bucc without any no auction gear I would tend to target musks first. The bucc companions I would be using with that set up would have a better chance at triggering relentless against a musk (especially if I buff their strength) and the musks would deal more damage to the bucc companions because of their lower agility. There isn't a hard fast 'you should always attack this first', it depends on your companion choices.

    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    And while we're on the subject of Vengeance Strike, Privateer companions like Gracie Conrad really shouldn't be using Vengeance Strike in the first place because higher-level foes will outdamage her in the chain (thus going back to my Vengeance Strike philosophy); in addition, Gracie Conrad can't learn Vengeance Strike Rank 3; Cheap Shot Rank 3 lets her stun foes without getting into an epic fight. Swashbucklers with Vengeance Strike are a little iffy; they have the damage output and it does reward them for getting hit, but they don't have the health or armor to take advantage of it in the long run. Besides, Riposte is far more economical than Vengeance Strike; dishing out damage while taking in nothing is amazing!
    My swashes do have riposte (remember relent 2, first 1, rip 1) and agree on Gracie for the most part. Just trading her veng for another hit is usually a bad idea but again I would rather have her take that damage than a squishier but higher damage companion. Trading her veng for another hit that sets up another companion for big damage is a great way to use her (though her real strength is the exploding rust bucket and her mine).


    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    Blade Storm is very useful, so you have a point there. Being able to take out a foe with Glancing Blow is also satisfying. Death is the ultimate debuff? Yeah, you're right about that too. Quick Adjust Musketeers are a pain to deal with, which is why they're my very first priority in battle, though I still use my charge powers on Musketeers because they're unchainable and unvengeable. And Witchdoctors go down super easily once Vicious Charge is used on them, so we can agree on that.
    Yay!! and seee above.


    Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    I believe the main differences between our philosophies are our gear and priorities. I typically don't use No Auction gear unless they provide direct stat boosts or epic talents (a Repel Boarders Rank 3 item would be nice ), and I love having my epic talents get the job done because they always replenish themselves at the start of every turn.
    Without no auction gear my tactics were almost identical to yours (except for maybe relying more on bucc companions with relentless), but I got those heals, I've also played priv alot so I'm used to the play style, I have awesome high damage companions that could benefit from those heals, so why not use them? It is about getting as much out of each tool you have as you can.
    P.S. Mesa love epic talents and I would SO go for a rank 3 Repel Boarders item . I might have to experiment a bit to really get it to fit in with my other tools but it would be really fun.
    Last edited by nesogra; 01-14-2014 at 08:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    English.exe is unstable. Multiple errors are likely.

    Captain! My Captain! Chain Theory Micromania



  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nesogra For This Useful Post:

    Eric Stormbringer (03-31-2014),Milt (01-14-2014)


  17. #10
    Psylent Night's Avatar
       Psylent Night is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    82
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    76
    Thanks (Received)
    191
    Gold
    130

    Re: Buccaneering Philosophies

    There's only one way to know who's really correct...

    Milt vs Nesogra. Brawlin Hall.




  18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Psylent Night For This Useful Post:

    Fiery Red Morgan (01-14-2014),Milt (01-14-2014),nesogra (01-14-2014),NumberCruncher (01-14-2014)


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •