•  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

Gold Management Guide

We all want to beat the bad guys fairly easily and move on. Gold helps us buy gear, ships and training tomes (books) to do that. So we need to have strategies to allow us to buy that stuff at the right time.
    1. Shared Bank
    In your flat there is a bank, with a (personal) bank, and a shared bank, which allows you to pass most items between your pirates. This is one of the reasons most of us have five pirates, one of each class. If an item you acquire is only useful to another pirate class, you can give it to another pirate in your account (only).
    Of course, you can also give them items that you have outgrown including ship parts to sell or use themselves.
    2. Companion Management
    a. Buy training tomes early. Their price rises every level. If this is a second pirate, pass items for him from a senior pirate at second level, make a friend and teleport to him in lower skull island. Then buy up ten books in the tavern before you ever cross the bridge to skull rock island.
    b. Return on Book Investment.
    If you are leveling quickly, you should wait until your companion will advance two levels for each book before giving him a tome (5 levels behind you). If you only play a short time regularly, you can send your companion brawling. Each successful brawling run grants him a Training Tome worth of experience toward his next level. There is a table in the companions section, but he gets two levels when you give a book to a companion who is five levels behind you, and three levels when he is nine levels behind. Waiting longer than that will net a higher return, but occasionally these companions will show up in a fight and you may lose that fight because he is so useless. Once you bench a companion, he will never show up in combat again, unless you select him in an Epic Battle so you don't have to give him any more training tomes. Bear in mind that some of the "worst" crew can train Witch Hunter epic talent. These are the ones I train up and bench until special circumstances arise, then I give them the top spots on my crew roster.
    c. Do Not Recruit Side Quest Companions Until You Reach the Level Cap.
    A newly recruited companion's level will always be one to three levels above yours when you recruit him, depending on who he is. After you pass him, you must train him up with books. These guys almost always have less epic abilities and talents than the core companions who have speaking parts, and are usually relegated to the bottom of your crew list eventually anyway. Once you are at the maximum level, currently 65, You can recruit him and he will be an asset to your crew, without the expense of training him with books.
    I even wait until I am maximum level before picking up storyline quest characters at the end of current content, so that they will be more effective in PvP. But that wastes experience points. Zeena and Samocles are currently the only exceptions to this trend (they're good). In the quest menu there will be a picture of the new charachter on the bottom of the quest card for the quest that allows you to recruit him, so just don't do that side quest until you are ready for him to join your crew. If you accidently pick up a side quest companion before you are ready, just hit the back button to the beginning of that dialogue and go to 'select pirate' and don't complete the dialogue. This will close the quest dialogue without the quest being completed and after you come back into play with that pirate, he will still be available when you are ready.
    d. Bank Your Book Quests
    Skip side quests that reward you with books until you are one less than maximum level and have at least 10 books saved up. The books are worth 8000 gold at 65th level, so this allows you to buy them cheaper once you run out (somwhere in Aquila for me).
    3. Ships
    Ships are necessary to quickly finish ship quests. They are also a good place to put your money before you can buy more books. When I get close to the gold cap, 200,000 gold, I buy the next ship I will need, before I can use it, so that I keep getting paid on the quests I am doing. Besides, You cannot pass ships through the shared bank, so you will eventually want to buy them anyway. Don't buy every ship, but I typically buy every galleon except maybe the pirate origin galleon. You get four free ships in the game, and they are barely adequate for completing ship quests without boarding when you get them. Sinking the enemy with ship's weapons instead of hand to hand will gain you ship parts that are better than any you can buy at the dock, so fight the ship bosses and turrets to get the best parts when you are sinking ships to raise your nautical level.
    4. Farming
    I never farm just for gold. I farm for gear and ship parts, and the gold comes with them. Friar Sand at the Temple of the East Wind, in MooShu, is currently the best boss to gold farm, and he drops some nice 45th level gear. The game is currently easy enough to beat, even with your crew 4 levels behind you, and you get a lot of great gear that you can pass through the shared bank, so farming is really the most reasonable, for members, after you max out your 5 pirates.

Please add your own suggestions to this post.

This post contains 6 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Row4n; 05-20-2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: beautifying

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Row4n For This Useful Post:

amanda17 (06-27-2014),Calico Jill (04-22-2017),Chrissy The Blesser (02-04-2014),girlonfire2 (04-02-2014),Nelsonette (03-22-2014),Paige MoonShade (02-05-2014),Peanut Butter King (02-04-2014),R3VOLT (02-05-2014),Stephanie (12-29-2017)

Chrissy The Blesser is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Gold Management Guide

Really well thought out and a lot of wisdom here. Well done. Keep up the great helpful work. This would be great to link in the PHP thread too.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy The Blesser For This Useful Post:

girlonfire2 (04-02-2014)

Erudite is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• Erudite's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Evan Silver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  ShiningSpartan- AQ G
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Thinking

My question with Side Quest companions and waiting is, what about when the level cap gets raised?

Visit my Blog, Pirates in the Sky
    Evan Silver / In Beta since 8.18.12

Row4n is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Row4n's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Charles
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

Quote Originally Posted by Erudite View Post
    My question with Side Quest companions and waiting is, what about when the level cap gets raised?
    I wrote this expecting the level cap to have already risen by now. Using this plan, you would wait until you hit max level (whatever it is) before completing companion-bearing quests. Yes, Zeena is very good, but if you can win without her, you will save a ton of gold by waiting even longer for her. And she will be the best Zeena in the ranked PvP arena when you finally get her.

This post contains 3 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

Row4n is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Row4n's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Charles
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

The spring 2014 update will render some of this guide obsolete. The ability to send one's less desirable companions off earning gold, nxp and training tomes will make side quest companions and Crowns Shop companions more attractive before one Maxes out, but If a Companion needs to be Max level to do training tome runs, the preceding may still be good advice.

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Row4n For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (12-29-2017)

Cadmus is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Cadmus's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fiery Luke Silver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Energetic

Nice guide!
    https://68.media.tumblr.com/dda8ecf306902967689763009cd4df09/tumblr_inline_ok3x72bBx51rc18kf_500.gif