Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Inspired

Guide for Beginners: Stats and How They Work

Name:  (Icon)_Critical_Strike.png
Views: 1344
Size:  5.0 KB Critical Chance

The critical chance is the same for every single player, companion, pet, mob, etc. The only way of increasing it is by using critical buffs like Shadowdance, Discipline, wearing gear that grants a critical bonus like the Dutchman's Onyx Charm, or using buffs that will increase Agility, Strength, or Will. Units receive a bonus to their critical chance if their attacking stat (aka Agility, Strength, and Will) is higher than their targeted unit or units. The higher your attack stat compared to the defending unit(s), the higher your critical chance bonus will be. The critical chance bonus is capped at +25%. Powers like Hoodoo Touch and Davy Jones' Reach will decrease the critical of the targeted units for a certain number of rounds.

In Pirate101, critical hits are broken into 3 tiers: Epic hits, Mega hits, and Super hits. There is a significant difference in power between all three tiers, Epic being the 1st and weakest, Mega being the 2nd and second strongest, and Super being the 3rd and most power critical hit. Epic hits are 133% of your damage roll, Mega hits are 167%, and Super hits are 200%.

Agility, Strength, and Will

Aside from increasing the chance of activating chain epics and granting bonus critical chances, Agility, Will, and Strength also increase your damage if you're of the appropriate class (only applies to companions), or are wielding the appropriate weapon and will also increase your chance of activating Chain Epics like Relentless, Burst Fire, or Mojo Echo and other chance based effects on Epics like the immobilization on Cheap Shot Rank 3, Parting Shot Rank 3, and Coward's Bane Rank 3 and the stun on True Grit Rank 3, Retribution Rank 3, and Vengeance Strike Rank 3 by up to 25%!

These main stats can also decrease the amount of damage you take from the enemy using the corresponding stat. If you used Whale's Might, you'd take less damage from Ratbeard's attacks because he is a Buccaneer and uses the Strength stat to boost his attack and if you used Sky Spirit, you'd take less damage from Louis LeBisque's attacks because he is a Musketeer and uses the Agility stat to boost his attack stat, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbeard
    "If your stat is higher than your target's stat, you'll receive a bonus to the chance that the epic talent will trigger. The higher your stat compared to theirs, the bigger the bonus."

"Having higher stats than your opponent means we will likely do more damage. Very basic stuff. For an example, say I’m a Swashbuckler and I want to strike two opponents. One is a Buccaneer and the other is Musketeer. Buccaneers have low agility compared to Musketeers. So if I hit both of them, my average damage should be higher against the Bucc than the Musk."

Additionally, every 5 points of a main stat = 1% extra damage added to your damage roll. So, if you had an Old Scratch that was buffed by Rallying Call (+100% Will) he'd have 1% of extra damage added to his damage-rate for a maximum of 5 rounds for every 5 extra points granted through Rallying Call. However, if Rallying Call was used on Hawkules, his damage-rate would not be effected because he does not use Will when attacking.

If you have a higher stat than your opponent you are (a) likely to do more damage and (b) more likely to trigger some epic talents.

Now, I don’t think (it’s early Saturday, give me a break…) that the players have access to any random-firing epic talents (yet!) but your stats work in reverse as well, to help defend you.

So for example if a STR-based enemy comes at you with Relentless, if you have a low STR, his Relentless is more likely to trigger.

Name:  agility-w.png
Views: 1612
Size:  2.4 KB Agility
    Agility boosts the damage of shooty, shooty/combo, stabby, and stabby/combo weapons. It also boosts the damage of powers belonging to the Musketeer and Swashbuckler class. Also used in comparison (vs. target’s Agility) to add up to +25% bonus damage. Agility contains the ability to raise your Critical Chance if your Agility stat is higher than your target's and you use the stat when attacking. Only Musketeers, Swashbucklers, those companion types or pirates using Shooty, Stabby, or Shooty/Stabby combo weapons benefit from the Agility stat offensively and can receive bonuses to their Critical Chance using Agility.

Name:  strength-w.png
Views: 1613
Size:  2.6 KB Strength
    Strength boosts the damage of melee weapons like cutlasses, swords, spears, axes, etc which are smashy, smashy/combo, slashy, and slashy/combo weapons. It also boosts the damage of Buccaneer players and Buccaneer companions. Also used in comparison (vs. target’s Strength) to add up to +25% bonus damage. Strength contains the ability to raise your Critical Chance if your Strength stat is higher than your target's and you use the stat when attacking. Only Buccaneers, and pirates using smashy, slashy, smashy-combo, or slashy-combo, ) benefit from the Strength stat offensively and can receive bonuses to their Critical Chance using Strength.

Name:  will-w.png
Views: 1623
Size:  2.5 KB Will
    Will boosts the damage of Magical attacks, the damage of voodoo powers, healing powers (excluding Second Wind) staffy, and staffy/combo weapons. It will also boost the damage of Witchdoctors and some Privateer companions. Also used in comparison (vs. target’s Will) to add up to +25% bonus damage. Will also contains the ability to raise your Critical Chance if your Will stat is higher than your target's and you use the stat when attacking. Only Witchdoctor and some Privateer companions (Ex: Wing Chun and Catbeard) benefit from the Will stat offensively and can receive a bonus to their Critical Chance using Will.

Name:  health-w.png
Views: 1599
Size:  2.1 KB Health
    Health is the amount of damage a unit can withstand before being defeated in combat. Certain player classes and companion classes like Privateers will naturally have higher health than others, while some classes and companion classes like Swashbucklers will naturally have lower health than others. Health can be restored in combat through healing powers. Outside of combat, Life Fountains, the Yum-N-Ade stand, and Red Yum Yum fruit can restore your health. Companions that finish combat will be restored to full health at the end of combat, while those defeated will be put to Bed-rest and will receive wounds. Companions that fall in combat can be restored quickly by Miracle Mitch for a large fee of gold, but will still keep their wounds. Pets will always be fully restored at the end of combat whether they were defeated or not.

Name:  damage-w.png
Views: 1609
Size:  2.6 KB Damage
    Damage is how much an attack will usually do. Your damage roll ranges, meaning it will always have the potential to do a little bit more damage or a little bit less. Skills, criticals, Epics, and powers, can change your damage roll in combat.

Name:  armor-w.png
Views: 1622
Size:  2.4 KB Armor
    Armor reduces the amount of damage taken from psychical based attacks and powers like slashing and impact damage. Certain skills, powers, and piercing can increase or decrease your armor.

Name:  (Icon)_Resistance.png
Views: 1396
Size:  8.7 KB Resistance
    Resistance reduces the amount of damage taken from magic and energy based attacks and powers like fire and electricity damage. Certain skills, powers, and piercing can increase or decrease your resistance.

The amount that Armor reduces the damage is rolled randomly each time… the amount of Armor applied is random. If your character sheet shows Armor 10, the reduction is 5-10; if it is 100, the reduction is 50-100. Between 1/2 X and X each time.
    "Let’s look at an example. My Normal Attack is 235 Damage. My Target has 18 Armor.

Each of my attacks will be reduced by 9 to 18 damage. so my actual attacks will range from 217 to 226!"

Name:  40px-(Icon)_Spell_Power.png
Views: 1320
Size:  2.8 KB Spell Power
    Spell Power increases the effectiveness of powers that do not use weapons. Examples of these powers are Rain of Mortarshells (It's initial hit and the traps left behind) , Bear Trap, Assassin's Gloom, Gunnery, Valor's Armor, and Revive. Training the Spooky talent, being natural spooky, and wearing equipment that grants Mojo Mastery are some ways to increase your Spell Power. Using powers like Ocuboros and Evil Eye will decrease the Spell Power of the targeted units for a certain number of rounds.

Name:  (Icon)_Armor_Penetration.png
Views: 1414
Size:  8.2 KB Armor Penetration
    Armor Penetration reduces the amount of Armor or Resistance taken into account when a target is attacked. For example, if you attacked a target with a weapon dealing magic damage and it granted +10% Armor Penetration and the target had 100 Resistance, the target's Resistance would be reduced by 10% so instead of their Resistance being 50-100 against your attack, it'd be 45-90.

Name:  accuracy-w.png
Views: 1598
Size:  2.7 KB Accuracy
    Accuracy improves the chance of units landing an attack on a selected enemy. Certain skills and powers can increase or decrease your accuracy. Many Musketeer powers have their damage increased by Accuracy. Ex: Inferno Shot, Scatterblast, Tempest of Torpedoes, etc.

Accuracy does not factor into the calculation of triggering Epics (except, obviously, they only trigger if you hit in the first place).
    Name:  dodge-w.png
Views: 1597
Size:  2.7 KB Dodge
    Dodge increases your chance of blocking or avoiding enemy attacks. Certain skills and powers can increase or decrease your dodge. Powers cannot be dodged!

The hit roll is "clamped" so that there is always a small chance that you can hit (even if your accuracy is very much lower) and always a small chance for you to dodge (even if your dodge is very much lower).
    The formula for your chance of landing an attack is: Attacker's Accuracy + 75 - Target's Dodge. (Ex: A Bonnie Anne with 90 accuracy Vs. an El Toro with 80 dodge. 90 + 75 = 165 - 80 = 85% chance of Bonnie's attacking hitting El Toro. For Witchdoctor attacks targeting multiple units, there is always a 75% chance of hitting.

I hope this helps you newer players and I hope you enjoy your time here on Pirate101 and Pirate101 Central!

This post contains 9 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Lucas Walker; 07-31-2014 at 08:36 AM. Reason: And Done :)

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to Lucas Walker For This Useful Post:

~Justin~ (08-14-2014),amanda17 (06-27-2014),AzreeJul (02-22-2014),Bloodcross74 (02-22-2014),callingraven12 (04-28-2014),Chrissy The Blesser (03-10-2014),Cret92 (06-22-2014),CSHildebrand (02-22-2014),DADITH (05-31-2014),dapurenergy (06-21-2014),Fearless Jasmine (07-18-2016),Good ol Lefty (02-22-2014),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-04-2018),Hoodoo Mystic (02-22-2014),Jokey654321 (03-22-2014),Kyuubi2010 (04-27-2014),Lady Murky (02-26-2014),LeahC (02-23-2014),Memoriam (03-30-2014),Nelsonette (03-22-2014),nesogra (04-02-2014),Paige MoonShade (02-23-2014),Peanut Butter King (03-10-2014),Row4n (02-22-2014),ShadowPhoenix (01-09-2015),smvb (09-30-2016),Spookenings Inc (03-12-2014),Stephanie (12-29-2017),Storyhunter101 (08-19-2016),suriSoulEyes (03-17-2014),Taywonowonpe (07-14-2014),thenextstar2 (03-11-2014),ValkoortheVictorious (03-19-2014),Virtuous Vanessa (06-30-2016),Xylamara (02-23-2014),Zenobia Paisley (02-28-2014)

Good ol Lefty is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Good ol Lefty's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Wicked Victor Armstrong
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Re: Guide for Beginners: Stats and How They Work

Great guide, I wish I had this when I started playing. It would have saved me a lot of gold, that way wouldn't have had to reset all my companions.

Cunning Victor Sharp - 65 / Wicked Victor Armstrong - 65 / Dark Victor Evans - 65
    Charming Victor Nightingale - 65 / Ruthless Victor Wright - 65

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Good ol Lefty For This Useful Post:

Lucas Walker (02-22-2014)

CSHildebrand is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• CSHildebrand's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dashing Chris Kidd
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

Very nice guide! I also wish I had it earlier on.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CSHildebrand For This Useful Post:

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I'm confused, so witchdoctor does not need accuracy since they always have a 75% chance of hitting?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AzreeJul For This Useful Post:

Lucas Walker is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by AzreeJul View Post
    I'm confused, so witchdoctor does not need accuracy since they always have a 75% chance of hitting?
    If a Witchdoctor, like Old Scratch is using a natural attack and it's targeting multiple units, he will always have a 75% chance of hitting them. However, if he is only targeting one unit, the formula for Accuracy Vs. Dodge is applied rather than having a set 75% chance. That being said, if you plan on using Witchdoctor companions in PvP or in a battle with lots of obstacles and you have opponents with high dodge like El Toro, I recommend also having the Witchdoctor companion target the obstacles rather than just the one target for a solid chance of landing your hit.

This post contains 2 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lucas Walker For This Useful Post:

AzreeJul (02-23-2014)

Hoodoo Mystic is offline Boatswain
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Alienated

Great Guide Lucas.If only I had this to use when I first started playing.Wouldn't have died so often O_O

Level 65 Witchdoctor Level 65 Musketeer Level 65 Buccaneer
    Level 55 Swashbuckler Level 36 Witchdoctor Level 33 Privateer
    Artwork by Camille on Wizard101 Central. Dese-s-Designs

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoodoo Mystic For This Useful Post:

DarkPvPHunter is offline Rookie
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Inspired

Very nice guide This will surly help out people out there starting the game.
    Last edited by DarkPvPHunter; 02-22-2014 at 09:25 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPvPHunter For This Useful Post:

Row4n is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Row4n's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Charles
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

Quote Originally Posted by AzreeJul View Post
    No. Better accuracy helps a witchdoctor hit better anyway. Of course, no Dr. companion can train up his accuracy, but at least their AoE attacks are not affected by target dodge.

Dec 26, 2013
    Re: Witchdoctor AOE hit rate.
    Nothing's changed with the AOE's. You either hit them all or you miss them all.
    A witchdoctor attacking via a single-target approach (which would include mojo echo) *does* have to factor in the target's dodge.

A witchdoctor attacking via an AOE attack does not use any dodge value from any of the targets. I've verified this myself (as I set it to work that way) but I'll double check with my counterpart on the programming side to make sure there's nothing sneaky-sneaky going on behind the scenes unbeknownst to me. (After we both return from our family holidays, of course). -Ratbeard
    From this and experience I gather that with Dr. AoE attacks, You can improve accuracy by buffing the Dr.'s accuracy and reduce accuracy by debuffing his accuracy (Vicious charge), but target dodge has no affect.

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Row4n; 02-22-2014 at 09:42 PM.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Row4n For This Useful Post:

AzreeJul (02-23-2014),Lucas Walker (02-22-2014)

The hun is offline Sailor

• The hun's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  friendly davy jones
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  the one you want
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Curious

nice guide lucas! I never understood some things about the game. but now I do, lol

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The hun For This Useful Post:

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas Walker View Post

Agility, Strength, and Will

I believe the formula for chain epics is: User's main stat + 35 - Target's stat of the aggressor's main stat. So say you're Bonnie with 50 Agility attacked a Lucky Jack Russel with 20 Agility it'd be: 50 Agility + 35 = 85 Agility - 20 = 65% chance of activating Burst Fire.
    Unless there is a maximum upper limit on the chance of chaining, I suspect this formula is not correct. I regularly use 2 or 3 juju buffs per battle, which takes my pirate's primary stat into the ~300 range. Assuming it does the same for my companions, using the formula above would yield a chance of chaining of well over 100% against any opponent. Experience shows that this is clearly not the case. Regrettably.

It seems like the chain calculation is more of a ratio than a subtraction. Just guessing.

LeahC

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeahC For This Useful Post:

Lucas Walker (02-23-2014),NumberCruncher (03-06-2014)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast