sharpshade is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

New Bucc With Some Questions!

Hey cool kids!
    So I'm getting ready to start a new Buccaneer and I'm really excited. After leveling a Privateer to level 10, I realized it wasn't for me. I have a Witchdoctor at level 22 that I absolutely love but I need a breather from that class right now. Anyways, survivability is what I'm looking for in my alt and my thought is that Buccaneers are tank classes so, probably not much damage output but can survive the long fight which is what I'm looking for. So on to the questions!

1.) What should I pick for my origin story?
    2.) Which stats should I focus on? I've read Damage/Accuracy/Strength and Health/Armor/Strength...
    3.) What's a good secondary to put practice points in?
    4.) In your opinion, are Bucc's fun to play?

Thanks everyone so much! I appreciate anyone who takes the time to help me out here.

Milt is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Alienated

Re: New Bucc With Some Questions!

1) The origin companion is up to personal preference; I don't think any of them will hinder your progress if they show up on the battle board.

2) Your main priority should be Accuracy; this key stat is crucial for your epic talents and Reckless Frenzy. Damage and Strength are also viable, but it's strictly up to personal preference. Health is also an option if you plan on using Armor and damage-blocking powers as your core strategy against melee-based foes, just remember that Reckless Frenzy's health penalty is a relative percentage (meaning that the penalty is slightly greater at 3200 HP than 3000 HP).

3) I'd just train talents and Rouse, and if you want some additional firepower: Sneak Attack. While Mordekai doesn't offer many powers, most of them are incredibly useful already!

4) I'd say yes. Buccaneer is one of the more easier classes to play as, given how they don't earn as many companions or powers as their fellow pirates (which means less management). There is strategy involved with Buccaneer, but overall you'll have fun laying the smack down on your foes and going into Vengeance Strike duels. And if you get the Manticore Sting in Aquila, oh man Repel Boarders is so much fun to use (and it synergizes perfectly with Hold the Line Rank 3)!
    Dante Tolliver, Buccaneer (65) | Henri Devereaux, Swashbuckler (65) | Marcus Laverne, Musketeer (65)
    Dandy Sam Creighton, Witchdoctor (65) | Tyler Paisley, Privateer (65)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Wow Milt thanks so much!! Accuracy wasn't even on my radar so I'll be sure to pay attention to that one! I'm glad to hear Buccaneer is fun to play. When I want flashy attacks I'll play my Witchdoctor but I'm looking forward to playing an "in your face" type class that can survive the long fight. I really appreciate the feedback and will definitely put it to good use!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sharpshade For This Useful Post:

Milt (04-02-2014)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Milt's advice is good, but I'll just add one more possibility.

If you're looking to pick up early powers from other trainers, both the Privateer and the WD offer an early power with infinite range. Just decide whether you would rather have Gunnery (area effect) or Ghostwail (slightly more damage, but single target).

It never hurts to have a good opening salvo to soften up the enemy (and it will help you grab threat even quicker).

I would prioritize either of those ahead of Sneak Attack.

Lastly, don't just look at cross-training powers. Cross-trained talents are also important, and I think you want to go Privateer and pick up the Slashy talents ASAP (since most of your weapons will be Big Choppy weapons and you'll get damage bonuses from both Smashy and Slashy.)

DADITH is offline Boatswain
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• DADITH's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Perilous David
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Heavy
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Inspired

I agree with the others that Accuracy is Extremely Important, and dont forget soon another slot will become available to further increase Buccaneer Stats.
    "Eyepatch slot" Leaving totem slot available for your other beloved stats, card gear etc.

Sigy and Avi by BURRELL
    DADITH Collector of no auction gear all classes

TugaPirate is offline Lookout
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

I agree with most of Milt said except one thing.
    Easiest Class? Quite the contrary. As you said, buccaneer gets the least companions, therefore it's actually the hardest class since you put alot more strategy into it, also, I say go with either Skull Island or Grizzleheim.
    Smashy and Slashy weapons will be your main, and with buccaneer you can choose either going tanky, full damage or a bit of both, Buccaneer can be hard to master, but the final result is very good.

Playing Since - 24th/August/2012 (Beta Player)

Milt is offline Navigator

• Milt's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dante Tolliver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Alienated

Quote Originally Posted by TugaPirate View Post
    I agree with most of Milt said except one thing.
    Easiest Class? Quite the contrary. As you said, buccaneer gets the least companions, therefore it's actually the hardest class since you put alot more strategy into it, also, I say go with either Skull Island or Grizzleheim.
    Smashy and Slashy weapons will be your main, and with buccaneer you can choose either going tanky, full damage or a bit of both, Buccaneer can be hard to master, but the final result is very good.
    Yet considering that:

-Buccaneers get 18 companions from the storyline alone
    -11 of them have prominent roles in the storyline [61%] (12 if you count Billy the Kid [67%])
    -Buccaneers can have 3 sleep tokens (effectively lowering your companion line-up down to at least 15)
    -The fact that 14 of them [78%] can have 4 or more epic talents (not counting Turn the Tide)
    -9 of them have Relentless-like epics [50%] (10 if you have Lucky Jack Russell [56%])
    -14 of them have at least one power [78%]
    -And that the randomized companion draw system is still in effect

Buccaneers have a consistently strong line-up of companions and are the least likely to be punished by the randomized draw (especially with sleep tokens). The consistency of good companions per battle is what lowers the difficulty for Buccaneers. Buccaneers also have Loud, which usually translates to their companions surviving a little longer; and even if their companions faint, Buccaneers can hold their own in battle for quite a long time.

EDIT: One more thing, since Buccaneers have a small crew size, they won't need to spend nearly as much gold on Training Tomes as other classes would.
    Last edited by Milt; 04-02-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    Dante Tolliver, Buccaneer (65) | Henri Devereaux, Swashbuckler (65) | Marcus Laverne, Musketeer (65)
    Dandy Sam Creighton, Witchdoctor (65) | Tyler Paisley, Privateer (65)

Row4n is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• Row4n's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Charles
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

1) I have much to say in this thread.
    2) Milt is correct that at 65th level, Accuracy is your #1 stat, so pick Marleybone Origin. Parental demise depends on Which Presidio 5 Companion you like best. Dead Mike is undead and can be boosted by Baron Samedi's Standard (hoodoo bundle). Milo does the most damage (but has weak defense). Lucky Jack Russel can heal (I think), but suffers from privateer damage weakness.
    3) Talents are better than powers, because they work the whole battle and you do not have to spend a round to turn them on. Don't get shooty weapons.
    4) Every class is fun to play. They are all unique, so you will develop different styles of playing them.

TugaPirate is offline Lookout
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by Milt View Post
    Yet considering that:

-Buccaneers get 18 companions from the storyline alone
    -11 of them have prominent roles in the storyline [61%] (12 if you count Billy the Kid [67%])
    -Buccaneers can have 3 sleep tokens (effectively lowering your companion line-up down to at least 15)
    -The fact that 14 of them [78%] can have 4 or more epic talents (not counting Turn the Tide)
    -9 of them have Relentless-like epics [50%] (10 if you have Lucky Jack Russell [56%])
    -14 of them have at least one power [78%]
    -And that the randomized companion draw system is still in effect

Buccaneers have a consistently strong line-up of companions and are the least likely to be punished by the randomized draw (especially with sleep tokens). The consistency of good companions per battle is what lowers the difficulty for Buccaneers. Buccaneers also have Loud, which usually translates to their companions surviving a little longer; and even if their companions faint, Buccaneers can hold their own in battle for quite a long time.

EDIT: One more thing, since Buccaneers have a small crew size, they won't need to spend nearly as much gold on Training Tomes as other classes would.
    Most facts you put there can indeed apply to every class, taking out that even though Buccaneers have the least companions (25 if you do the whole game normally), Musketeers have 26, only one more, I fail to see the point in the gold spent with training points.
    Also, noting Witchdoctors have 27, only two more. Buccaneers (along with Swashbucklers) also suffer from the lack of promotions on their side companions, making fights harder in the randomize part.

Playing Since - 24th/August/2012 (Beta Player)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

So what would be considered a good line up for companions. As you can tell from the original post, It's been awhile since I've played but I'm starting back again today with a new Buccaneer. I read somewhere someone stating an all Bucc team but something about that seems off haha! Any early companion advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm using all the advice from the above posts now I just wanna get my companion setup right.

Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast