PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

A Basic Guide on How to Use Windows Live Movie Maker

I think that this is a bit of an overdue guide.
    If you are confounded on how to use WLMM from the old WMM from Windows XP, it's understandable on how it's a big, confusing, mind-bending, insanity-triggering mess on how to figure out using this thing.

Never fear, though! I've been messing with the program for a little while now, and I found how to create a fairly basic video and add effects. This, however, is a basic guide on how to create a video.
    When you first open the program, the main screen should look like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Basic Page.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	54199
    Please note that this is a reduced size window. More features will show based on your standard window size.

All tabs are labelled, but there are some definite confusing features to start off with.
    Of course, no good program is built without some signs to point at.

Say you want to add a caption to your video...

Name:	Title sample.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	447.3 KB 
ID:	54200
    If you click on "Title," here's what'll happen.

Name:	Title.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	54201
    I broke it.
    No, not really. It adds a title before the slide, as it'll say when you mouse over.
    It will add a new slide entirely, with a caption attached to the slide. However, there is a problem in that it does reformat to a title instead of a regular caption for a slide. I'm still working on finding the default format setting, and will update the guide if I can find it.

To get rid of this, simply shift+click the text and the background. Once both are highlighted, go ahead and select "Remove."

Name:	Delete.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	54202
    Not all hope is lost, if you actually meant to do that. The text can be brought back by the undo button at the top left corner of the window (Default in Paint as well).

When you want to add just text, be sure you hit "Caption" instead of "Title." As a default, it will use a simple "Enter Text Here" for the message.

Name:	Text.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	425.8 KB 
ID:	54203
    A convenient thing (Is Windows really doing that???) that this does: It will automatically set your text back to whatever format you used last in a caption. The default text for most WLMM versions is Arial, with Arial Light for titles. One new tab will open up for every feature- sound, a slide or clip, a caption- you add into one scene of your video.
    The format will change based on file (clip or picture) you use for your video.

Name:	duration.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	54204
    The seconds marker in the "Duration" box shows that it's a picture. (I'm not sure what will happen if you insert a moving picture .gif file in there)
    When it is a video clip, it will ask for speed of the video in #x format. A 3-second clip at 1x speed will go for 3 seconds, 1.5 seconds at 2x speed, 6 seconds at 0.5x speed.

Name:	Text2.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	54205
    The text tab will show you what your text will look like in format. The selection to the upper right is how you want your text to appear.

After you're doing with editing, then you are free to save the video.
    WARNING! DO NOT SAVE PROJECT! It will save the file of the video creation under "My Documents" if directory is not specified. If you want to save your video...

Name:	Save.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	54206
    You will want to use "Save Movie." There are direct upload options for Cloud users, but I'm not a cloud user.

All formats for Windows 7 version of Live Movie Maker will be in .wmv format, being the default windows format. It'll take up more data to save in higher quality, so be careful on how you spend your bits with this!

Hope this helps anyone in need of video skillz!

#TeamValor
    Sig by Camille of W101C

Revival : Retribution : Imaginaerum : Celestially Slow : Gracing
    : Til Death : Profiled

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seraphim of Light For This Useful Post:

girlonfire2 (04-28-2014),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-09-2018)