Just Add Bacon is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

The Rosetta Stone, by Andrew and Lizzy

Picture is fuzzy at first, though comes into view, revealing two blonde haired, green eyed youths sitting on a crate, the Marleybonian skyway behind them.

“Hey guys! This is Lizzy here,” said the girl, “in Marleybone with my brother, Andrew -”

“- that would be me -” said the boy.

“And we're doing a report on the history of the Rosetta Stone.”

“Right-ho. A few weeks ago, a few of our mutual friends came across this big hunk of stone with three different scripts on them. -”

“Aquila Linear B, Krokotopian, and regular Aquilan -”

“and didn't know what it said. Our friends then took the stone to Marleybone to have it decoded, and found a message hidden within.”

“Let me point out something first – Aquila Linear B is also the language written on the clockwork birds, which can be found in various places, mainly in Valencia.”

“Right. Now, we can't quite give you the secret message, mostly because it's a secret -”

Lizzy's eyes sparkled laughingly as she said this: “That would be telling.”

“Though we can tell you most of what we know. Up until this stone was found, Krokotopian was essentially a lost language, to all of us who hadn't lived in Krokotopia ourselves.”

“There are all sorts of a symbols in Krokotopian, though, and until now we thought that the hieroglyphics were pictorial, when, in fact, they're not.”

“Before, we used to think that a bird symbol or a snake symbol referred in some way to an actual bird or snake, whereas now we know that this is not true, thanks to the Rosetta Stone.”

“In fact, believe it or not, they're phonetic, which means they're of or pertaining to speech sounds.”

Andrew started clapping. “That's Lizzy the Walking Dictionary for ya!”

Lizzy laughed and playfully elbowed her brother. “So, all those things that look like pictures actually represent sounds. And that's how we are now able to translate Krokotopian hieroglyphics.”

“And the reason we were able to do that is because this stone said the same thing, three times, in three different languages.”

“Scripts, you mean.”

“Yes, scripts. On the bottom is Aquila Linear B, the language of the Aquilan Government.”

“The middle is regular, or Demotic, Aquilan. Demotic literally means The language of the people.

“And the top is the sacred writing. Hieroglyphs. And this is the language that we really couldn't read -”

“- until we got the Rosetta Stone. And we could see within the writing of the Rosetta Stone, cartouches, which held the names of rulers.”

Andrew holds up a picture of a krok wearing a funny looking hat, and next to it is a bunch of Krokotopian symbols.

“In this case,” said Lizzy, “Krokankhamun.”

“And by recognizing that ruler's name in the three different languages, we found a way to begin to unlock the heiroglyphics.”
    As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Add Bacon For This Useful Post:

The Hoodoo Master (05-17-2014)

MLPfan is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Sneaky

Re: The Rosetta Stone, by Andrew and Lizzy

Awesome! Would love to see more!

Avatar and Signature by: Jemshadows525

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MLPfan For This Useful Post:

Just Add Bacon (05-16-2014)

Just Add Bacon is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: The Rosetta Stone, by Andrew and Lizzy

Thanks, Samir! I'll probably do many more reports like this one, though I'm afraid my information is limited on The Rosetta Stone, and turning it into a Spiral version is rather difficult, and changes the facts. I might be able to post a little more on it later, though!

I wrote down the actual report done, (this combined with wikipedia is how I created the above report) and am copy+pasting it from my own writing documents so you can see the differences, and the real facts.

Male reporter: “We're in the British Museum, and we're looking at one of the most important objects in the collection – the Rosetta Stone.”

Female reporter: “It's in a class case, surrounded by people who are taking pictures of it.”

M.R.: “People love it!”

F.R.: “They do. There are gifts in the gift shop about it.”

M.R.: “You can get your own little Rosetta Stone. You can get Rosetta Stone posters -

F.R.: “- On on a mug -”

(laughing) M.R.: “I think you can get a doormat Rosetta Stone. But, the stone itself is historically incredibly important. It allowed us for the first time to be able to understand, to be able to read, to be able to translate hieroglyphics.”

F.R.: “Hieroglyphics was the written language of the ancient Egyptians. And, until the mid- 19th century, we really didn't know what it said.”

M.R.: “The language itself is pictorial, and actually that led to one of the real confusions. Because, I think that early archaeologists believed – and linguists believed – that the pictures they could see – (You can make out birds and snakes, and various different kinds of forms.) - actually referred in some way to a specific thing in the world.”

F.R.: “Right, so if you saw a bird, it somehow referred to a bird.”

M.R.: “And then, in fact, that's not the case.”

F.R.: “Right.”

M.R.: “This is a far more sophisticated language.”

F.R.: “And the Rosetta Stone was really what helped them to understand that Egyptian hieroglyphics are not pictorial. They're not pictographs. They're actually phonetic. So, all those things that look like pictures actually represent sounds. And that's how they were able to finally figure out – and translate – ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics.”

M.R. “And the reason we were able to do that is because this stone said the same statement three times, in three different languages.” [ Actually, there are only two distinct languages (Egyptian in its Demotic phase, and Greek), and three scripts, (Hieroglyphics, Demotic, and Greek). ] “So, the three languages are: Ancient Greek, which is down at the bottom. Now, that was the language of the administration. That was the language of government. And the reason for that is because Alexander the Great had conquered Egypt, and had set up this sort of Greek rule in this Hellenistic era – and that maintained itself in ancient Egypt.”

F.R.: “Let's remember, we're talking around 200 B.C. here.”

M.R.: “ - which is actually getting close to the end of the life of hieroglyphics, as well. It would last another few hundred years before it died out completely. So, this is really the tail end of this 3000-year long language.”

F.R.: “So, the middle section is Demotic, which actually means, 'The language of the people.' And it was this common language used by the Egyptians.”

M.R.: “And the top, of course, was the sacred writing. This was hieroglyphs.”

F.R.: “Right.”

M.R.: “And that was the language that we really couldn't read -”

F.R.: “ - until we had the Rosetta Stone. And we could see within the writing of the Rosetta Stone, cartouches, which held the names of the rulers. Cartouches are a kind of oblong shape that contains the name of the ruler.”

M.R.: “In this case, that would be Ptolemy the Fifth.”

F.R.: “And by recognizing that ruler's name, in these three different languages, we found a way to begin to unlock hieroglyphics.”

M.R.: “Now, that would take decades. It was an incredibly difficult task.”

F.R.: “And we haven't even talked yet about how this was found! Napoleon has his army in Egypt. And Napoleon's brought with him some – what I guess we would call, sort of – archaeologist types. And, one of those people who accompanied Napoleon, found – or came across – the Rosetta Stone.”

M.R.: “It was being used as a part of the foundation of a fort, in fact.”

F.R.: “And of course, it would originally have been erected in a temple, or near an ancient Egyptian temple.”

M.R.: “And, I suppose it's important to say that this is the bottom portion of a much larger stele – or sort of stone tablet – that would have been quite tall.”

F.R.: “So, Napoleon took it back.”

M.R.: “Except, hold on a second – because we're not in the Louvre. We're in London, in the British Museum. So, how does that work?”

F.R.: “Well, the British defeated Napoleon, and brought back the stone. And a year or two later – I think, 1801 or 1802 – it's brought to the British Museum. And it's been here ever since.

M.R.: “Well, it's clearly still extremely popular.”
    As we lose ourselves in the service of others, we discover our own lives and our own happiness