•  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Frigate
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Dragon Axe-of Doom vs Nefarious Knives

(well, actually this is not a guide, but could be a guide from the others comment)

Avast Swashbucklers!

I'm going to ask you, what weapon from two above choices you'd prefer to use? And why you want to use it better than the other one? Please answer in the thread below.

I'm going to be the first guy to answer the questions.

For me, here are my answers:
    Nefarious Knives - it fits well with Swashbuckler main weapon choice, Stabby weapon, which adds +20 WP. It also have a descent amount of damage, and will provides high damage when you combine this weapon with the gears in the crowns shop. The consequences are you must be aware for some pesky Flanking to activate when hidden, especially when you want to have your Assassin's Strike dish out. Flanking could cancel out your nice-planning Assassin's Strike to eliminate your enemies. Second, you don't have any TtTide, which is a nice epic to have, you gain +25% damage when you're below 50% health. But this doesn't mean is Swashbuckler's disadvantage. First of all, this epic is very less important, you have Peaceful 3, which is less likely you will be hit by foes, and also, Swashbuckler's commonly hidden, so most likely your Companions will be hit by your foes. Dragon Axe-of Doom has the capability of Flames of Corruption, but that's neutral for me, no disadvantages or advantages, because it's DOT (Damage over Time) that works the same like bleeding.
    Last edited by Milt; 02-22-2015 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Please do refrain from double posting too soon in the future

King6510 is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• King6510's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Golden Chris Silver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilian Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Paranoid

Re: Dragon Axe-of Doom vs Nefarious Knives

I'd play by the class. But my answer would be the Dragon Doom Axe. When I say play by the class, I mean use the knives against Buccaneer enemies and the dragon against all the others. The Dragon Axe is more useful because of the turn the tide it gives. If you get a pet with TtT, that would be rank2. Also, Flames of corruption's DoT is based on the hit that caused them to trigger. So, do a super assassin strike and boom, and extra and possibly more powerful bleeding. For me, flanking isnt very good because it would just ruin hidden, or trigger an enemy's epic. Oh, and if you're worried about the damage, don't worry, if you trained up to Elusive2 from the Commodore, you'll get an extra 8WP and another 8WP with smashy/slashy weapons.
    Good Luck with your choice. Your lucky to have either of them

-GoldenChrisSilver Level70W GoldenChrisSilver Level70B GoldenChrisSilver Level70SGoldenChristinaSilver Level70P GoldenChristinaSilver Level25M

BiG BaD WoLFY is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• BiG BaD WoLFY's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Wolf Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

PvE is hands down Nefarious knives for me (though I like the crown shop Boarding Knives better) because it boosts off of agility and swashbucklers can get a few agility buffs from gear and of course the FABulous Fan Flanders. I will almost always run Fan Wagyu (Kobe Yojimbo Clone) and Nausica (Empire Bundle Musketeer DEMON) for mob/boss fights. I usually just use black fog (or something else somewhat useful until it shows) first round, use fan's buff then pass. Then I sky spirit charge companions at someone different. Usually leaves one lonely enemy still alive after relentless blade storm burst fire double tap chains. who I go in and hidden assassin strike (with 2 agility buffs), and companions back me up if needed, good game.

To answer the "question" though, I would only the dragon axe in certain pvp settings. Yes, it is strength based, but it gives turn the tide (amazing power) and flames of corruption, which you already stated was basically bleeding. I've found is that with the right talents on your pet (elusive and turn the tide at MINIMUM), the dragon axe is arguably a much better suit for PvP because you get so many chances to dodge under 50% health (6 with first strikes vs say another swashbuckler who tries to regular hit you) and you can dish out so much damage when it isn't even your turn.

Made a novel there that got a bit off topic, but basically;

PvE is rather easy with the right companions at your side, especially if they all boost off of agility.

PvP I'd personally use the Boarding Knives/ Staff of Power if I WERE to use an agility weapon, but the Dragon Axe would be my normal go to.

In the end, battling is simply adapting to certain situations thrown at you and there are a lot of different "play styles" and ways for one pirate to be unique from the next. If i had to choose ONLY one though it would be the Dragon Axe, but the Nefarious Knives are also very viable. All in all though, it comes down to personal preference, but just my 2 cents.

-Noble Wolf Hawkins- *PvP Champion*
    | Max -Swashbuckler-| Max Musketeer |
    |
    Max Privateer | Max Buccaneer |

Alyce Natalie is offline Deck Swabber

• Alyce Natalie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Katherine Underwood
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Frigate
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2510 View Post
    I'd play by the class. But my answer would be the Dragon Doom Axe. When I say play by the class, I mean use the knives against Buccaneer enemies and the dragon against all the others. The Dragon Axe is more useful because of the turn the tide it gives. If you get a pet with TtT, that would be rank2. Also, Flames of corruption's DoT is based on the hit that caused them to trigger. So, do a super assassin strike and boom, and extra and possibly more powerful bleeding. For me, flanking isnt very good because it would just ruin hidden, or trigger an enemy's epic. Oh, and if you're worried about the damage, don't worry, if you trained up to Elusive2 from the Commodore, you'll get an extra 8WP and another 8WP with smashy/slashy weapons.
    Good Luck with your choice. Your lucky to have either of them
    Or maybe you mean Boucan class? Yep, I'm just kidding, if Boucan use this weapon, they will gain TtTide 3. Remember, we don't talk about Boucan this time, we talk about Buckler. Buckler is less likely to be hit by enemies, they commonly hide, they have Peaceful 3 which reduces 40% threat, and your companions are more likely to appear, especially Boucan companions. When they appear, they will be more likely to be hit by enemies. TtTide 2 is given by your pet and this weapon, and additional Accuracy can make hit awesome, as from Milt research Accuracy did add some damage for some powers. Flanking can ruin hidden, I agree that thing. If we stay careful, maybe it won't ruin our plans at all. Flanking is a Sneak Attack, but with about 75%-80% damage dealt to foes, if I'm not mistaken. But the thing is some enemies response epic can't activate. First Strike will definitely not activate. Vengeance Strike won't activate for this epic, and Riposte is questionable. Flames of Corruption, for me is just an icing on the cake. It doesn't dealt much damage, and it's a DOT that's similar to bleeding. That's a nice reasons and I'd love to learn that thing from you, but for Swashbucklers, this weapon is useless, just I had stated the reasons above.

Quote Originally Posted by BiG BaD WoLFY View Post
    PvE is hands down Nefarious knives for me (though I like the crown shop Boarding Knives better) because it boosts off of agility and swashbucklers can get a few agility buffs from gear and of course the FABulous Fan Flanders. I will almost always run Fan Wagyu (Kobe Yojimbo Clone) and Nausica (Empire Bundle Musketeer DEMON) for mob/boss fights. I usually just use black fog (or something else somewhat useful until it shows) first round, use fan's buff then pass. Then I sky spirit charge companions at someone different. Usually leaves one lonely enemy still alive after relentless blade storm burst fire double tap chains. who I go in and hidden assassin strike (with 2 agility buffs), and companions back me up if needed, good game.

To answer the "question" though, I would only the dragon axe in certain pvp settings. Yes, it is strength based, but it gives turn the tide (amazing power) and flames of corruption, which you already stated was basically bleeding. I've found is that with the right talents on your pet (elusive and turn the tide at MINIMUM), the dragon axe is arguably a much better suit for PvP because you get so many chances to dodge under 50% health (6 with first strikes vs say another swashbuckler who tries to regular hit you) and you can dish out so much damage when it isn't even your turn.

Made a novel there that got a bit off topic, but basically;

PvE is rather easy with the right companions at your side, especially if they all boost off of agility.

PvP I'd personally use the Boarding Knives/ Staff of Power if I WERE to use an agility weapon, but the Dragon Axe would be my normal go to.

In the end, battling is simply adapting to certain situations thrown at you and there are a lot of different "play styles" and ways for one pirate to be unique from the next. If i had to choose ONLY one though it would be the Dragon Axe, but the Nefarious Knives are also very viable. All in all though, it comes down to personal preference, but just my 2 cents.

Wonderful reasons. I think everyone should learn from your reasons. Me too.

Hmm, seems everyone stay away from Nefarious Knives just the reasons of Flanking epic. It's good to know from you both, guys. Maybe we should stay careful so we aren't ruin our plans just because of Flanking.
    Last edited by Alyce Natalie; 02-22-2015 at 12:43 PM. Reason: typo

~Joe~ is offline Deckhand

• ~Joe~'s Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Joseph
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Innocent

Nefarious Knives, it gives that awesome 30% armor penetration and an extra walk in darkness. I get the agility bonus to.

~I hate people~

Alyce Natalie is offline Deck Swabber

• Alyce Natalie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Katherine Underwood
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Frigate
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

No response? Bump

BiG BaD WoLFY is offline Rookie

• BiG BaD WoLFY's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Wolf Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Quote Originally Posted by ~Joe~ View Post
    Nefarious Knives, it gives that awesome 30% armor penetration and an extra walk in darkness. I get the agility bonus to.

The Boarding Knives also provide 30 armor penetration as well as 14 (or something close to that) armor. They provide another assassin Strike aswell, something the nefarious knives don't provide. If I am being honest, The extra assassin is a much better deal over the hide and agility bonus since honestly we already start with 3 hides alone and 1 assassin (and a noteworthy backstab). Hides are only so much in the long run because if you can't dish enough damage it doesn't matter in the end. Not to mention flanking being a thing Swashbucklers should avoid BECAUSE of hiding and potentially wasting a hidden (or rather something you dont have to worry about).

Another thing I wanted to mention is that weapons aren't straight black and white (unless they indeed only give damage). If they provide another talent (or power), there is a lot you can do with that specific weapon you can't do with another weapon, opening the realm of possibilities for different strategies. The thing I like most about the game is that there are so many ways to play (strategies) and so many more that are just bound to surface in due time. Basically, the water might not be as clear as you see, so maybe you should "test the water" before you just jump in. There is so much more to pirate combat than most will ever see I think honestly.

Wrote this mainly because it was bumped, but I still hope this was helpful!

-Noble Wolf Hawkins- *PvP Champion*
    | Max -Swashbuckler-| Max Musketeer |
    |
    Max Privateer | Max Buccaneer |