Jenna SwiftGem is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Interview With One-Eyed Jack (2016 edition)

~~
    You’ve been working at KI for quite some time now. Is it more awesome now than when you first started?

The awesomeness of KingsIsle continues on for me, and it’s hard to believe four years goes so quickly! It’s always been a challenging job and definitely much different from what I was doing before this. Now that I’m overseeing the team with Julia and Leala, I’m doing more for the Marketing team as a whole. The challenges come in many different flavors these days rather than when I started and my main concern was solely Pirate101 and getting Pirate101 out the door with the team. Although there are challenges, I have to sit back and think, what other job would pay me to put on a dinosaur costume for a fun video project or play Wizard101 and Pirate101 during work hours?

~~
    Is there an amount of time the KI staff are allotted to play the games? Do they have to play on their own time?

It’s a job requirement that our team knows the game. How else could we help players when they come to us with interesting questions and bugs that are phrased in a language unique just to them? Not only that, we need to understand how *you* play the game! We need to know where the fun is and why it’s fun. I suppose a more interesting question is, who at KingsIsle plays the game on their own time . . . just because. It can be challenging when the game is also the job. How do you go home and blow off steam and relax with something you’ve thought about all day long? I love those people! Those are the people that really love this game! Good on you staff of KI who play the game at home as well as at work!! You know who you are!

~~
    With your recent business venture into mobile gaming, will we see some more minigames like WizardBlox, but for Pirate101?

You know, it’s been something that’s been talked about since the beginning. I’ve even seen a few attempts during our game jam days. (If you’re not familiar with our game jams, it’s basically a few days out of the week where teams of employees band together and try to bang out a new game in a very very short time. They don’t happen often, but when they do, it’s epic!) Personally, I made it my crusade to get Dueling Diego to give rewards for Pirate101 from the freekigames.com website, and I was as happy as could be when I managed to get that approved and seen through to the end.

~~
    What major changes has KingsIsle gone through these recent years that you think are great for the company and the game?

I like the addition of the Mobile leg at KingsIsle! I see it as more gainful employing of awesome developers at a great studio, which is a win-win for me. As for Pirate101, I love that we finally delivered ranked PvP, and I’m psyched that pretty much every item mentioned on this initial request thread has been fulfilled in one way or another: https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-...05561fc?page=1 (still need to get those mannequins though, don’t we?)

~~
    Now for some Pirate101 related questions. In our previous interview, we talked about your character, and his home, Wysteria. Will we meet more people from Wysteria in our adventures through the Spiral?

I’m all about the rabbits, and I love the look of Wysteria in Wizard101. That said, it’s a very wizard-centric fantasy world, and I’m not sure if it’s pirate’y enough. It’s probably why One-Eyed Jack feels more at home in Flotsam than basking with the wallflowers of Wysteria.

~~
    Just like the magical world of Harry Potter has Quidditch, and Wizard101 has the Spiral Tournaments, do the pirates have any “sports” that they love in particular?

I look at the game Rat Attack in Pirate101 and naturally think of pirates shooting at rats with cannon balls for sport. Obviously Boochbeard and Gandry enjoy a good boxing match at the Traveling Medicine Show in Cool Ranch, and the Monquistans enjoy playing life-sized chess at the Summer Palace. You have Fencing in Valencia, gladiator bouts in Aquila, and sword play in Mooshu, but . . . a question for you all . . . what kind of sports do they play in the Avernus? Hmmm . . . at the end of the day, I think the sport pirates enjoy the most is simply sailing the skyways.

~~
    One-Eyed Jack doesn’t play a huge part in the game, but will he be a more prominent figure later on?

Hard to say with so much rumor and speculation about the rabbit, isn’t it? I think my favorite line from his Rogue’s Gallery is “Some even say that Jack is an agent for powers greater than even the greatest Wizards of Wizard City! Whatever the case is, only Jack knows for sure...and he’s not telling anyone!”

~~
    What class do you think your character in the game is, and why?

One-Eyed Jack wields that carrot dagger like he’s a swashbuckler at heart, but to me sly characters like One-Eyed Jack almost seem to defy class. Why do the fighting when someone else can do it for you?

~~
    What is your favorite pet?

You know what . . . I have so many pets that it’s a little insane. I need to sit down and organize them and try to hatch a few new good ones that I stick with. Maybe one with a lot of “grant” talents. For now, any pet that has the loyal talent and maybe a heal will do. I have a skarakeet from the Boochbeard bundle I still love, but lately I’ve been preferring my Octoberpus. The new Stardust Chameleon tribute to David Bowie is pretty awesome though! (as for looks, I really need to get me one of those Bullrog hybrids – they’re just so cool looking!)

~~
    Is there a villain in the game that you feel is more misunderstood than evil?

Have you all seen this YouTube of our Armada sympathizer? – now SHE’s got this question down.

I love it! For me, I feel like our writers really have it down to where you know exactly why the bad guys are bad, and if they have some redeemable qualities, then they’ll come along for the ride as a part of my crew! Right? I guess the only time I really feel I face misunderstood “villains” is when I’m the villain myself . . . like when I’m stealing grapes from satyrs for Peleus so we can have a triumphal feast for Eagilles. I mean, it’s all for the greater good after all.

~~
    Like the secret clandestine trainers were a secret for a time, are there any other secrets in the game that have yet to be discovered?

HAHA! Unfortunately we totally gave away the location for the Clandestine trainers too easily by originally marking them on the map in the Test Realm. Those were supposed to be hidden better! Oh well, it was fun for a few minutes on the test realm, right? I’m pretty sure pirates have scoured every zone available to them and found every easter egg possible at this point . . . even the obscure Short Stop and Jones NPCs in Catbeard’s Hideout. Now that’s an odd mystery! No one will fess up as to who did that.

~~
    How do you come up with the names for ships, clothing items, quests and characters? Doesn’t it take quite some time?

That’s more of a question for the writers, but Mike Sears did a great job answering this question on a recent KI Live. Here’s a link to that interview:

~~
    What secret ingredient is it that Miracle Mitch uses to heal our companions?

Per Blind Mew . . . ancient Mooshu secret!

~~
    If you could play as any NPC, which one would it be?

One-Eyed Jack of course!

~~
    The last question for you is this: Do I owe you a favor?

I think I owe you all more favors than you owe me! That’s the nature of this job. Thank you so much for the Q&A!
    Last edited by Willowdreamer; 03-10-2016 at 01:22 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jenna SwiftGem For This Useful Post:

amypinkcat (01-30-2016),Anne Radcliffe (01-31-2016),bestbrigain (03-12-2016),kanthedestroyer (01-31-2016),Mistress of Hoodoo (01-30-2016),Mr.Fred (01-30-2016),pops (01-30-2016),smvb (11-28-2016),Storyhunter101 (05-29-2016),Willowdreamer (01-30-2016)

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Interview With One-Eyed Jack (2016 edition)

Excellent interview. Thanks very much.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Jenna SwiftGem (01-30-2016)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Agreed. Thanks for putting this together and getting some more insights on Pirate101 !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Jenna SwiftGem (01-30-2016)

Jacobspirit is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bored

Quote Originally Posted by Jenna SwiftGem View Post
    ~~
    You’ve been working at KI for quite some time now. Is it more awesome now than when you first started?

The awesomeness of KingsIsle continues on for me, and it’s hard to believe four years goes so quickly! It’s always been a challenging job and definitely much different from what I was doing before this. Now that I’m overseeing the team with Julia and Leala, I’m doing more for the Marketing team as a whole. The challenges come in many different flavors these days rather than when I started and my main concern was solely Pirate101 and getting Pirate101 out the door with the team. Although there are challenges, I have to sit back and think, what other job would pay me to put on a dinosaur costume for a fun video project or play Wizard101 and Pirate101 during work hours?

~~
    Is there an amount of time the KI staff are allotted to play the games? Do they have to play on their own time?

It’s a job requirement that our team knows the game. How else could we help players when they come to us with interesting questions and bugs that are phrased in a language unique just to them? Not only that, we need to understand how *you* play the game! We need to know where the fun is and why it’s fun. I suppose a more interesting question is, who at KingsIsle plays the game on their own time . . . just because. It can be challenging when the game is also the job. How do you go home and blow off steam and relax with something you’ve thought about all day long? I love those people! Those are the people that really love this game! Good on you staff of KI who play the game at home as well as at work!! You know who you are!

~~
    With your recent business venture into mobile gaming, will we see some more minigames like WizardBlox, but for Pirate101?

You know, it’s been something that’s been talked about since the beginning. I’ve even seen a few attempts during our game jam days. (If you’re not familiar with our game jams, it’s basically a few days out of the week where teams of employees band together and try to bang out a new game in a very very short time. They don’t happen often, but when they do, it’s epic!) Personally, I made it my crusade to get Dueling Diego to give rewards for Pirate101 from the freekigames.com website, and I was as happy as could be when I managed to get that approved and seen through to the end.

~~
    What major changes has KingsIsle gone through these recent years that you think are great for the company and the game?

I like the addition of the Mobile leg at KingsIsle! I see it as more gainful employing of awesome developers at a great studio, which is a win-win for me. As for Pirate101, I love that we finally delivered ranked PvP, and I’m psyched that pretty much every item mentioned on this initial request thread has been fulfilled in one way or another: https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-...05561fc?page=1 (still need to get those mannequins though, don’t we?)

~~
    Now for some Pirate101 related questions. In our previous interview, we talked about your character, and his home, Wysteria. Will we meet more people from Wysteria in our adventures through the Spiral?

I’m all about the rabbits, and I love the look of Wysteria in Wizard101. That said, it’s a very wizard-centric fantasy world, and I’m not sure if it’s pirate’y enough. It’s probably why One-Eyed Jack feels more at home in Flotsam than basking with the wallflowers of Wysteria.

~~
    Just like the magical world of Harry Potter has Quidditch, and Wizard101 has the Spiral Tournaments, do the pirates have any “sports” that they love in particular?

I look at the game Rat Attack in Pirate101 and naturally think of pirates shooting at rats with cannon balls for sport. Obviously Boochbeard and Gandry enjoy a good boxing match at the Traveling Medicine Show in Cool Ranch, and the Monquistans enjoy playing life-sized chess at the Summer Palace. You have Fencing in Valencia, gladiator bouts in Aquila, and sword play in Mooshu, but . . . a question for you all . . . what kind of sports do they play in the Avernus? Hmmm . . . at the end of the day, I think the sport pirates enjoy the most is simply sailing the skyways.

~~
    One-Eyed Jack doesn’t play a huge part in the game, but will he be a more prominent figure later on?

Hard to say with so much rumor and speculation about the rabbit, isn’t it? I think my favorite line from his Rogue’s Gallery is “Some even say that Jack is an agent for powers greater than even the greatest Wizards of Wizard City! Whatever the case is, only Jack knows for sure...and he’s not telling anyone!”

~~
    What class do you think your character in the game is, and why?

One-Eyed Jack wields that carrot dagger like he’s a swashbuckler at heart, but to me sly characters like One-Eyed Jack almost seem to defy class. Why do the fighting when someone else can do it for you?

~~
    What is your favorite pet?

You know what . . . I have so many pets that it’s a little insane. I need to sit down and organize them and try to hatch a few new good ones that I stick with. Maybe one with a lot of “grant” talents. For now, any pet that has the loyal talent and maybe a heal will do. I have a skarakeet from the Boochbeard bundle I still love, but lately I’ve been preferring my Octoberpus. The new Stardust Chameleon tribute to David Bowie is pretty awesome though! (as for looks, I really need to get me one of those Bullrog hybrids – they’re just so cool looking!)

~~
    Is there a villain in the game that you feel is more misunderstood than evil?

Have you all seen this YouTube of our Armada sympathizer? – now SHE’s got this question down.

I love it! For me, I feel like our writers really have it down to where you know exactly why the bad guys are bad, and if they have some redeemable qualities, then they’ll come along for the ride as a part of my crew! Right? I guess the only time I really feel I face misunderstood “villains” is when I’m the villain myself . . . like when I’m stealing grapes from satyrs for Peleus so we can have a triumphal feast for Eagilles. I mean, it’s all for the greater good after all.

~~
    Like the secret clandestine trainers were a secret for a time, are there any other secrets in the game that have yet to be discovered?

HAHA! Unfortunately we totally gave away the location for the Clandestine trainers too easily by originally marking them on the map in the Test Realm. Those were supposed to be hidden better! Oh well, it was fun for a few minutes on the test realm, right? I’m pretty sure pirates have scoured every zone available to them and found every easter egg possible at this point . . . even the obscure Short Stop and Jones NPCs in Catbeard’s Hideout. Now that’s an odd mystery! No one will fess up as to who did that.

~~
    How do you come up with the names for ships, clothing items, quests and characters? Doesn’t it take quite some time?

That’s more of a question for the writers, but Mike Sears did a great job answering this question on a recent KI Live. Here’s a link to that interview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZG...tu.be&t=17m58s
    ~~
    What secret ingredient is it that Miracle Mitch uses to heal our companions?

Per Blind Mew . . . ancient Mooshu secret!

~~
    If you could play as any NPC, which one would it be?

One-Eyed Jack of course!

~~
    The last question for you is this: Do I owe you a favor?

I think I owe you all more favors than you owe me! That’s the nature of this job. Thank you so much for the Q&A!
    I like how it says they're required to know about their game when hes always clueless on ki live XD
    =
    Book 16 the lost copy!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacobspirit For This Useful Post:

Jenna SwiftGem (02-01-2016),Seraphim of Light (03-11-2016)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobspirit View Post
    I like how it says they're required to know about their game when hes always clueless on ki live XD
    KI Live is not a good azimuth for how "good" One-Eyed Jack is as a player in Pirate101 (or even Wizard101 for that matter). KI Live is usually filled with "fluff" and other activities designed more for marketing....not for giving away the secrets or demonstrating skill. His personal live streams and personal website (the Friendly Necromancer) are a completely different experience. Besides, he has to be clued in somewhat to finish Pirate101 (which he did back in summer of 2013)

For the other KI employees...I have no idea.

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Just a bump to bring this back to life. There was an issue with one of the embedded videos that has been fixed.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Jape (03-10-2016),Jenna SwiftGem (04-11-2016)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobspirit View Post
    He always been that way. Ravenwood Radio. I believe that was what it was called. Even the lady that does the Ki Live founded Ravenwood Radio.