Courtneystar is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Necessary gear etc.

Hello everyone! I am an avid w101 player, and was getting pretty into p101 for awhile probably a year or so ago, but stopped because it was getting to be too difficult for me to solo. I'm now on a loop, getting burnt out on w101 and wanting to get back onto my pirate. My question is: is there anything I can be doing to make questing easier as I get into the higher levels? I'm a level 54 buccaneer in Marleybone I believe. I'm curious if there are any necessary gear sets (like waterworks in w101) that would make my life a ton simpler. Or really anything else that I might be missing just being I'm unfamiliar with the game. Even after playing, I find this game to be more complex than w101 and still dont fully grasp some of the concept.

Thanks for any help and insight!

BiG BaD WoLFY is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• BiG BaD WoLFY's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Wolf Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Re: Necessary gear etc.

Hey there, don't worry you're not the only one who tends to shift back and forth.

Firstly, if you haven't already, I'd suggest you look into farming the tower of moo manchu. He has different tiers of some amazing gear with class specific powers that you can get at level 55+. It's also ideal as a buccaneer to have access to relentless 2 to help you chain better and maximize your damage output. Aside from the staples of attacks, shields and heals, you might want to grab a hide (or 2). A good 95% of the time you will want to have gear that gives powers. Stick it out to level 55 and you'll be able to find some decent universal gear that drop in the tower moo manchu which very much the waterworks equivalent of pirate101.

If you want other good advice other than from here on central (the best advice you'll probably get!) just ask around in game! There are plenty of max levels that will happily lend you advice and help you become more familiar with the game.

I wish you good luck, hope you enjoy your questing!
    Last edited by BiG BaD WoLFY; 11-02-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added suggestions

-Noble Wolf Hawkins- *PvP Champion*
    | Max -Swashbuckler-| Max Musketeer|
    "Have fun, then we'll talk competition..."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BiG BaD WoLFY For This Useful Post:

Courtneystar (11-02-2016), Willowdreamer (11-02-2016)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Willowdreamer's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciful Molly Mainstay
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Courtneystar View Post
    Hello everyone! I am an avid w101 player, and was getting pretty into p101 for awhile probably a year or so ago, but stopped because it was getting to be too difficult for me to solo. I'm now on a loop, getting burnt out on w101 and wanting to get back onto my pirate. My question is: is there anything I can be doing to make questing easier as I get into the higher levels? I'm a level 54 buccaneer in Marleybone I believe. I'm curious if there are any necessary gear sets (like waterworks in w101) that would make my life a ton simpler. Or really anything else that I might be missing just being I'm unfamiliar with the game. Even after playing, I find this game to be more complex than w101 and still dont fully grasp some of the concept.

Thanks for any help and insight!
    It's true that a lot of people expect more similarities between the two games, but gear is one place that they are very different. The non-crown/bundle gear in Pirate101 is mostly designed to boost one, two or maybe a few stats. What you need to look for is the No Auction Gear that gives your pirate additional Epic Talent or Powers. It may be helpful to know what gear you ARE using at the moment, so that we can advise what you may change out for your Buccaneer. Matching your gear to your level may be less important than seeing what talents/powers you are missing that would help you.

Pets are very important in Pirate101 as well - do you have a good pet?

Also, think about your crew -- there is NOTHING that will make a pirate's life MORE successful than a well-balanced crew, the right companions against the enemies you are currently fighting.

Here is a link to the wiki category for Buccaneer Items, Level 50+:

http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...uccaneer_Items

And just in case you want to look at Level 55: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...uccaneer_Items

Some of these will give powers and others will not, but depending on your playstyle, you may want to go through them and see what you might want to farm for. As @BiG BaD WoLFY suggested, there is the Tower of Moo Manchu, but if you don't care to or aren't able to farm there, there are some way easier bosses where you can pick up some good items as well.

AND -- find a questing partner - Group Plunder Chests are your best friends!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

BiG BaD WoLFY (11-02-2016), Courtneystar (11-02-2016)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Unlike w101 there is no "best gear". No auction gear from all around usually gives you powers and the "best gear" is knowing which power you want. General powers bucs like, however are Valor's Fortress, Revive/Rally/Rouse, Vicious Charge, Super Strike, Assassin's Strike/Sneak Attack, Hides and shields. At lvl 55, you could start farming Rookery and Tower of Moo Manchu (though I warn you, Moo is like ww).

I high recommend training for relentless from the secret trainer and to get another rank of it from a pet. Pets are even more of a struggle than wiz so get started!

As for companions, typically use Peter Quint, Bonnie Anne, and El Toro. Alternatives could be Kobe Yojimbo, Barnabas, Ratbeard, and your Presidio companion.

Hope this helped! By the way, are you OK with your companion builds?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Free to Play Noob For This Useful Post:

Courtneystar (11-02-2016), Willowdreamer (11-02-2016)

Courtneystar is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cool

Thanks so much everyone for the responses! It seems this game is even more complex than I first thought. I have my job cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Free to Play Noob View Post

I high recommend training for relentless from the secret trainer and to get another rank of it from a pet. Pets are even more of a struggle than wiz so get started!

Hope this helped! By the way, are you OK with your companion builds?
    First: What and where is the secret trainer? I haven't even bothered with pets yet. Would you be willing to give me just a quick run down on the pet situation? I found it incredibly confusing when I was looking at around at it when it first came out. As pathetic as it sounds, on the companion front, I'm not really sure how happy I am with the lineup. I can't tell if its me or my companions where I'm going wrong. Rn my main lineup is
    El toro, Gracie Conrad, bonnie anne, and peter quint. I also have been spacing out some of their epic abilities; is there anything you can suggest w this lineup?

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    What you need to look for is the No Auction Gear that gives your pirate additional Epic Talent or Powers. It may be helpful to know what gear you ARE using at the moment, so that we can advise what you may change out for your Buccaneer. Matching your gear to your level may be less important than seeing what talents/powers you are missing that would help you.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2016-11-02 14-06-24-178.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	71467
    This is an overview of my current stats, and I'm using:
    17th Lancers' Helm
    Air Warden's Kit
    Bad 'un's boots
    Striker's Axe
    Citrine Amulet
    Monk's Crimson Token
    Midshipman's Commendation
    and Ring of lord Wellington

What would you recommend I do to fix up the gear a bit?

Quote Originally Posted by BiG BaD WoLFY View Post
    Firstly, if you haven't already, I'd suggest you look into farming the tower of moo manchu. It's also ideal as a buccaneer to have access to relentless 2 to help you chain better and maximize your damage output. Aside from the staples of attacks, shields and heals, you might want to grab a hide (or 2).
    Do Bosses in Moo Manchu cheat like those in waterworks? I'm assuming since it's been compared to WW I'd need a solid team to undergo it; Do you know if there are people outside the sigils willing to go again? And do you know where I would go to get the quest needed?
    This may sound very dumb, but where would I learn more epic moves such as relentless or hides? I believe right now I only have Blade storm and Vengeance. Or am I missing something?

Sorry for all the questions and the long post!

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

First: What and where is the secret trainer? I haven't even bothered with pets yet. Would you be willing to give me just a quick run down on the pet situation? I found it incredibly confusing when I was looking at around at it when it first came out. As pathetic as it sounds, on the companion front, I'm not really sure how happy I am with the lineup. I can't tell if its me or my companions where I'm going wrong. Rn my main lineup is
    El toro, Gracie Conrad, bonnie anne, and peter quint. I also have been spacing out some of their epic abilities; is there anything you can suggest w this lineup?

Do Bosses in Moo Manchu cheat like those in waterworks? I'm assuming since it's been compared to WW I'd need a solid team to undergo it; Do you know if there are people outside the sigils willing to go again? And do you know where I would go to get the quest needed?
    This may sound very dumb, but where would I learn more epic moves such as relentless or hides? I believe right now I only have Blade storm and Vengeance. Or am I missing something?
    You can find information for the secret trainers here. You have to come at a certain time to be able to get the right trainer, despite the hassle of getting there in the first place. Once there, you can get relentless for only 1 practice point (unless you didn't train for Smashy Weapons 2, but you should; it's free for bucs).

The pet system uses timers so you can't just "train to epic in one day" and is very time consuming, even though all you have to do is set the timer (with the right pet gear if needed) and let the timer run; do questing, log off, whatever. Once done, feed a pet snack and repeat. Ever 10th level, your pet gets a talent: every odd tenth (10,30,50,70) is the slot for the grant epics while every even tenth (20,40,60) grants the epic powers (assuming you are going for grants, otherwise idk) Pets were originally meant to be an extra ally with their own powers and talents, but most people prefer a pet with grants for the character. I think someone else can explain this better... idk go hatch with someone who has it, train and hope for the best is all you need to know.

Epic grants are harder to get than powers. The only way to train them are from secret trainers and your own trainer. If you want to get them from gear, pets are the ones that can grant the most. There are some pieces gear here and there that can grant you epics (though they're not so rare due to the new Ashes of Armada pack's weapon, but you don't need them). For your level, you don't need to worry about gear pieces except for pet, but later on, go for Eyes of the Cobra, Dragon Axe of Doom (Moo Manchu), Axe of the Minotaur's Lords, and Prince of Illios Quiver (if you want to go that way, but that is more complex) since those are the best.

This may come to a surprise, but Tower of Moo Manchu has no cheats. Well there are in the last fight, and maybe special rules here and there, but all you really think of is that's it's a hard fight as in advanced, higher level than you hard and not super cheaty hard. The tower is like waterworks because it is a long instance that takes 1-3 and if you are really inefficient, 4 hours. But really, there are a lot of people who go there that has done it many times. Just tell them you're new and they can catch you up.

EDIT: OK the link doesn't work due to copyright stuffs and what not, so just google "pirate101 secret trainers" and click on the first thing you find.
    Last edited by Free to Play Noob; 11-02-2016 at 06:55 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Free to Play Noob For This Useful Post:

Courtneystar (11-02-2016)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Thanks so much everyone for the responses! It seems this game is even more complex than I first thought. I have my job cut out for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2016-11-02 14-06-24-178.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	71467
    This is an overview of my current stats, and I'm using:
    17th Lancers' Helm
    Air Warden's Kit
    Bad 'un's boots
    Striker's Axe
    Citrine Amulet
    Monk's Crimson Token
    Midshipman's Commendation
    and Ring of lord Wellington

What would you recommend I do to fix up the gear a bit?

Sorry for all the questions and the long post!
    Returning-ish/new-ish player!!! I always close to like hugging people who's willing to step in our little family community! lol Don't strange me, I enjoy helping new people...

Anyway, secret trainers, secret trainers... once again I'm shocked we don't have a guide for those but you can search the term to find out more about them. However most of these posts were made long ago, and we actually got a little update to them recently. So that there's no doubt: they're at the very end of a charming area called Devilfish Hollow, and they change every hour so look for the melee trainer and train yourself "Relentless" (others are not massively important for buccaneer).

Your comp lineup makes sense, though you should probably try to always bring Peter Quint with you as his strength buff is important for your hitting and will help him as well... I would swap his position with Grace but that's all. Have you been promoting your companions? Giving them new abilities is a huge advantage to your side.

I'm not sure what you mean with "spacing out" epic abilities, though it's a common practice to new players to give their units a large variety of different epics... I advice to work on boosting the ranks of epics you find useful first (rank 2 for more times per-round, and rank 3 for a special effect if you like it). In a direct example, Bonnie Anne does great with Overwatch 2-3 and Burst Fire 2 which is a very common setup for her, these epics might happen multiple times a round while others such as Return Fire will barely ever activate... test and work on the ones you think happen often.

I have noticed you have a No Auction ring, this one piece's most popular source is the boss Tyler, he's in a storyline quest who also drops two great buck jewelry: the charm "Special Branch Badge" (Valor's Fortress power, a shield for anyone you pick) and the accessory "Schemer's Eyepatch" (Assassin's Strike power, the strongest melee strike from Swashbucklers).
    Major dungeons (such as Tower of Moo Manchu) give class-restricted gear with your class-specific powers, while world-quest instances (such as Tyler, and nearly every boss you face) can give you class-restricted gear with powers that are typically only available to other classes. Many Privateer shields and Swashbuckler hits are greatly helpful for Buccaneers so these two pieces are items you can actually keep forever should you find time and choose to farm them.

If you feel interested in further expanding your gear, the items called "The Helm of the Valiant" (hat) and "The Arms of the Valiant" (robe) are also available from Marleybone select bosses, offering the same powers are the jewelry I mentioned. Sources include Bishop and Rooke who'll fight along the storyline... though these two appear in dungeons, should you not want to throw Crowns into Second Chance Chests you might want to try MacCavity, a storyline boss you fight in the quest right before Tyler (who I mentioned above).

Getting two samples of these two powers is a very strong and popular approach to Buccaneers, one that I use myself. You might want to consider farming them at some point, it certainly improves gameplay in many aspects (questing, farming, running hard dungeons...).

The Tower of Moo Manchu is a great dungeon and probably the easiest place to get gear, though it requires a team you should be able to find by the entrance or by Team-Up. Be on the lookout to 4-player group plunder chests outside the fights on floor 4 and 8, those'll always give a good item appropriate for your class (but you'll need 3 teammates to help you open it). The Tower is also a great experience to talk and learn from other players, or even look at their setups and see how others play.

In regards to "cheats", that's actually a Wiz exclusive term... bosses in these dungeons won't cheat persay, but they do carry unique abilities not always available to players which may require some little instruction. Many players in-game are kind enough to guide new people through it, but if you want a sure first-run you can always post a thread on Meet-Ups section, it's a popular dungeon so wait should be little... you can always try something else while you wait or mark a set time with your group.

EDIT: The quest line for Tower starts with "The Moo Manchurian Candidate" from Lord Chagatai in Subata Temple's Audience Chamber (very first house to the right, as you come from the docks). The quest leads you to the original Moo Manchu encounter (which grants the badge "Savior of MooShu" and Celestial Dragon pet), upon completing it you'll be summoned to Chagatai again for the Tower dungeon quest.

Final note: Hide powers are trained from Morgan LaFitte, in the Swashbuckler's Hall, Avery's Court. They're also available from gear pieces at the Bazaar at a certain high lvl.

I hope you are successful in your piratin'! Don't be too afraid to call for advice or help across the Spiral...

~R

Last edited by Ravino; 11-03-2016 at 01:21 AM.

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Willowdreamer's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciful Molly Mainstay
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

I also thought that someone here had done a guide for the Secret Trainers - but the wiki is your friend (I may be slightly partial here...) nine times out of ten.

Here is a link to the trainer page for The Lost Hoplite: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/NPC:Lost_Hoplite
    and the Clandestine Cave: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...andestine_Cave

I have a mark set on at least one of my pirates to the trapdoor in Devilfish Hollow, since it's a LONG tricky run, and one of the best reasons to have a second account. It's a free-to-play area, so if you like you can create a second account and level a pirate a little bit for the express purpose of holding the mark here when you need to get a new Talent trained. Then, you can go about your business until the next top of the hour and see if the trainer you need is there.

The others have given you some advice regarding pets and gear. However, with Companions I always like to encourage new players to try out different crews against different enemies. If you're fighting other Buccaneers, sure a team of melee fighters are going to do pretty well. However, fighting against ranged enemies like musketeers and witchdoctors, you may want some ranged attackers of your own. If you're starting to struggle with your main favorites getting defeated, step back and reassess who you are losing them against. Personally, I play with my crew on Random or First Mate, and take the luck of the draw on the rest -- I think it makes the game more fun, and I get to learn what the other companions are capable of. If you have them assigned to tasks, they won't appear in battle, but if they've finished their task they come back into the rotation. If you have crowns available, there are also some great companions in the Crown Shop that you can add to your crew.

For the Tower, you will need to have done the side quests in MooShu where you encounter Moo Manchu, starting with The Moo Machurian Candidate. I will say this about the Tower - it is TEN FLOORS. With a really good crew, it can be done fairly quickly, however there are also stories of trolls and others who will make a Team Up run of the tower a seemingly endless nightmare. If you like that sort of thing, it's a fun challenge, but if you don't -- I've only run it a few times on my main pirate, and once on each of my next highest just to clear the quest from my log. None of the gear is absolutely necessary to have to complete the game right now. A lot of PvP players swear by it though.

If you post in the In-Game Help section for a Tower Run, and be open about when you can do it, you will probably be able to draw some members here into a good team. I know we've done that before, as well as for the Pirate's Regatta teams and Smuggler's Arena. The community loves to help.

Edit: Found the guide I was looking for, it's a thread on the main message boards.
    Last edited by Willowdreamer; 11-03-2016 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Found it!

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I also thought that someone here had done a guide for the Secret Trainers - but the wiki is your friend (I may be slightly partial here...) nine times out of ten.

Here is a link to the trainer page for The Lost Hoplite: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/NPC:Lost_Hoplite
    and the Clandestine Cave: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...andestine_Cave

I have a mark set on at least one of my pirates to the trapdoor in Devilfish Hollow, since it's a LONG tricky run, and one of the best reasons to have a second account. It's a free-to-play area, so if you like you can create a second account and level a pirate a little bit for the express purpose of holding the mark here when you need to get a new Talent trained. Then, you can go about your business until the next top of the hour and see if the trainer you need is there.

The others have given you some advice regarding pets and gear. However, with Companions I always like to encourage new players to try out different crews against different enemies. If you're fighting other Buccaneers, sure a team of melee fighters are going to do pretty well. However, fighting against ranged enemies like musketeers and witchdoctors, you may want some ranged attackers of your own. If you're starting to struggle with your main favorites getting defeated, step back and reassess who you are losing them against. Personally, I play with my crew on Random or First Mate, and take the luck of the draw on the rest -- I think it makes the game more fun, and I get to learn what the other companions are capable of. If you have them assigned to tasks, they won't appear in battle, but if they've finished their task they come back into the rotation. If you have crowns available, there are also some great companions in the Crown Shop that you can add to your crew.

For the Tower, you will need to have done the side quests in MooShu where you encounter Moo Manchu, starting with The Moo Machurian Candidate. I will say this about the Tower - it is TEN FLOORS. With a really good crew, it can be done fairly quickly, however there are also stories of trolls and others who will make a Team Up run of the tower a seemingly endless nightmare. If you like that sort of thing, it's a fun challenge, but if you don't -- I've only run it a few times on my main pirate, and once on each of my next highest just to clear the quest from my log. None of the gear is absolutely necessary to have to complete the game right now. A lot of PvP players swear by it though.

If you post in the In-Game Help section for a Tower Run, and be open about when you can do it, you will probably be able to draw some members here into a good team. I know we've done that before, as well as for the Pirate's Regatta teams and Smuggler's Arena. The community loves to help.

Edit: Found the guide I was looking for, it's a thread on the main message boards.

Indeed, no gear is entirely needed to get through the game... but it's still quite helpful! Ally shields for example can really save a companion(s) you don't feel like losing. I have gone through the game in a few classes wearing lvl 5 gear, before stitching was available.

Crown companions are nice to have... more variety is always good. Though the BEST companions are typically available through storyline, so spending Crowns there is not absolutely required.

As for the Tower, I actually don't consider the gear highly important but it's the first major experience in group thus many new players can learn much from it.

~R

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (11-03-2016)