•  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Exclamation Which companions work best against the Hydra?

Or what set up for each class would kill the Hydra fairly easily? Gonna go solo on most of my characters, I'm pretty sure, just because not all my friends are online when I need help or, for that matter, on the same quest line. (I always fall behind.) Even then they're busy—off farming Kane, Moo Manchu, Smuggler's Arena; or helping somebody else—so I want to be sure I know what I'm doing before I rush head first into the Hydra cave. I know a little from reading here and there players' different experiences, and I brushed up on @Cret92 's tutorial (see here), but I want your opinions on whether or not my companion choices will succeed or fail. Below are my ideas for each class roster I am considering bringing into battle with me. (May not be in order.)

Privateer:
    Lucky Jack Russell or The Marchioness (for my heavy-hitting melee fighter)
    Jane Canary or Bonnie Anne (heavy-hitting ranged fighter)
    Old Scratch, Commander Emmett or Handsome Dan (buff support, healer and/or secondary melee fighter)

Swashbuckler:
    Milo Graytail, Sarah Steele or Subodai (melee heavy-hitter)
    Buffalo Bill, Bonnie Anne or Moresco de Valvida (ranged heavy-hitter)
    Fan Flanders, El Toro, Martin Valvida or Shiruku Neko (buff support and/or secondary melee heavy-hitter)

Witchdoctor:
    Dead Mike or Kan Po (melee heavy)
    Bonnie Anne, Lefty or Bones McGee (ranged heavy)
    Old Scratch, Mormo or Carcarius Grimtooth (buff support and/or secondary ranged hitter)

Buccaneer:
    Baar, S.M. Arson, Birgus Latro, Barnabus or Kobe Yojimbo (melee heavy)
    Nausica, Billy the Kid or Bonnie Anne (ranged heavy)
    Peter Quint or El Toro (buff support and melee heavy)

Musketeer:
    Wing Chun, Gaspard de Vole, El Toro, Tyson, Shiruku Neko or Lucy Sterling (melee)
    Bonnie Anne, Louis le Bisque or Duck Holliday (ranged)
    Chantal Livingstone or Old Scratch (buff support and/or secondary ranged)

Do I have a chance with any of these guys in my lineup? Also, any tips or tricks I ought to know before going in? Like strategies that have worked for you in the past. Please and thank you in advance!
    ~ Noble Nora Norrington, Privateer from Marleybone ~ Sly Scarlet Poole, Swashbuckler from Skull Island ~ Crafty Luisa Eastwick, Witchdoctor from Krokotopia ~ Brass Belle Silver, Buccaneer from Grizzleheim ~ Dead-eye Fiona Davenport, Musketeer from Mooshu

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Which companions work best against the Hydra?

To tell you the truth, some epic talents are not your friends in the Hydra battle. Burst Fire and Double Tap can kill extra heads besides the ones you need, and bring additional enemies that you DON'T need. So, a lot depends on the Epics you've trained your crew with. Be as sparing with the extra hits as you can, because any extra heads defeated mean two more of that color coming back. Melee attackers get surrounded by ice, and ranged attackers need line-of-sight to be useful.

I've only completed the battle on three classes, Witchdoctor, Musketeer and Privateer, so I'd suggest that your third set is good for Witchdoctor, for Musketeer, you want Louis, Chantal and maybe Old Scratch. For Privateer, I can't remember who I used, but your third set there seems good as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Storyhunter101 (11-28-2016)

monkeypoos is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeypoos's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

From what I remember, ranged companions work best, especially witch doctors like Mormo and Khord. Louis and Pepe could really help you out with their bombs to clear up some unneeded debris and melee companions with a good dodge are a good choice as well.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

5. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeypoos For This Useful Post:

Storyhunter101 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Storyhunter101's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    To tell you the truth, some epic talents are not your friends in the Hydra battle. Burst Fire and Double Tap can kill extra heads besides the ones you need, and bring additional enemies that you DON'T need. So, a lot depends on the Epics you've trained your crew with. Be as sparing with the extra hits as you can, because any extra heads defeated mean two more of that color coming back. Melee attackers get surrounded by ice, and ranged attackers need line-of-sight to be useful.

I've only completed the battle on three classes, Witchdoctor, Musketeer and Privateer, so I'd suggest that your third set is good for Witchdoctor, for Musketeer, you want Louis, Chantal and maybe Old Scratch. For Privateer, I can't remember who I used, but your third set there seems good as well.

Oh shoot! Really? Well a lot of the companions I mentioned have Blade Storm, Relentless, Repel Boarders, First Strike, Vengeance Strike, Riposte, Cheap Shot, etc. as well as variants of the like for the shooty & staffy fighters. So should I bring in the few companions I have that do decent amount of damage but that don't have extra abilities of that nature? I might not even have any of those. Gonna have to check. Hmm... I'll have to think long and hard about which companions to bring, in that case.

If I recall, Relentless (and its variants) work differently from Blade Storm in that it activates more attacks on the same enemy instead of targeting other enemies nearby, right? Maybe I can use companions that only have the following: Burst Fire, True Grit, Quick Draw, Quick Adjust, Return Fire, Relentless, Hold the Line, Second Chance, Witch Hunter, Jobu's Ruse, Mojo Echo, Mojo Blast, Intuition.

Oh no... After going through all my companions, a large majority of them use abilities that activate on multiple targets when enemies approach, flee, hit, miss, etc. I'm in trouble and it's my own undoing!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoos View Post
    From what I remember, ranged companions work best, especially witch doctors like Mormo and Khord. Louis and Pepe could really help you out with their bombs to clear up some unneeded debris and melee companions with a good dodge are a good choice as well.
    Thankfully I do have Khord—albeit only on my buccaneer's crew—so I'll keep that in mind. Bombs and other large area attacks, eh? Old Scratch, Mormo, Louis and Bonnie Anne would work then. Bosun Budd—on my musketeer's crew—also has those starfish that take up nine spaces. I wonder if he'd prove useful, despite having Vengeance Strike and Blade Storm. Dead-eye Davenport's Doctor Noh uses Jobu's Embrace. Then there's Jobu's Kiss, Mojo Storm, Mortarshells, Cannonballs, Torpedoes, musketeer Rounds & Shots, summoning spells...

I'll try to come up with a different configuration, now that I have a fresh perspective, and post again when I have those done. Thank you both!

P.S. I can only imagine it'd be easier just to ask for help from the community, rather than solo at all. What am I doing with my life?
    ~ Noble Nora Norrington, Privateer from Marleybone ~ Sly Scarlet Poole, Swashbuckler from Skull Island ~ Crafty Luisa Eastwick, Witchdoctor from Krokotopia ~ Brass Belle Silver, Buccaneer from Grizzleheim ~ Dead-eye Fiona Davenport, Musketeer from Mooshu

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyhunter101 For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (11-27-2016)

CaptainPowwow is offline Wiki Master

• CaptainPowwow's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Brave Hunter Young
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Nimitz Class Carrier
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Torn

I haven't done the hydra battle in a long time but I'd recommend ranged companions and companions with high health. So, Privateers and Muskets. I'd still use storyline companions even though they have more epics than most side quest companions.

When I did the battle, I went in with Baar, Emmett, and Bonnie Anne, slightly different than my recommendations.
    [Main:Brave Hunter Young-Privateer-Level 70-Summer PvP Champion-Wiki Master]

{[(POTCO - Powwow - level 50)]}

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainPowwow For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Storyhunter101 View Post
    Oh shoot! Really? Well a lot of the companions I mentioned have Blade Storm, Relentless, Repel Boarders, First Strike, Vengeance Strike, Riposte, Cheap Shot, etc. as well as variants of the like for the shooty & staffy fighters. So should I bring in the few companions I have that do decent amount of damage but that don't have extra abilities of that nature? I might not even have any of those. Gonna have to check. Hmm... I'll have to think long and hard about which companions to bring, in that case.

If I recall, Relentless (and its variants) work differently from Blade Storm in that it activates more attacks on the same enemy instead of targeting other enemies nearby, right? Maybe I can use companions that only have the following: Burst Fire, True Grit, Quick Draw, Quick Adjust, Return Fire, Relentless, Hold the Line, Second Chance, Witch Hunter, Jobu's Ruse, Mojo Echo, Mojo Blast, Intuition.

Oh no... After going through all my companions, a large majority of them use abilities that activate on multiple targets when enemies approach, flee, hit, miss, etc. I'm in trouble and it's my own undoing!

Thankfully I do have Khord—albeit only on my buccaneer's crew—so I'll keep that in mind. Bombs and other large area attacks, eh? Old Scratch, Mormo, Louis and Bonnie Anne would work then. Bosun Budd—on my musketeer's crew—also has those starfish that take up nine spaces. I wonder if he'd prove useful, despite having Vengeance Strike and Blade Storm. Dead-eye Davenport's Doctor Noh uses Jobu's Embrace. Then there's Jobu's Kiss, Mojo Storm, Mortarshells, Cannonballs, Torpedoes, musketeer Rounds & Shots, summoning spells...

I'll try to come up with a different configuration, now that I have a fresh perspective, and post again when I have those done. Thank you both!

P.S. I can only imagine it'd be easier just to ask for help from the community, rather than solo at all. What am I doing with my life?
    I've soloed, and I've helped others get through. Basically, if you can keep the number of colored heads to a minimum it goes a lot faster and with less toll on your crew. Have you got Aquila or Marleybone Summon doubloons, should your companions fall to the onslaught?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Khione is offline Lookout

• Khione's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Ruthless Jeremy Quincy
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  None of yo buisness
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Asleep

Normally any Musketeers/Swashbucklers with Riposte and Overwatch does the trick.

Lvl 65 Witchdoctor Sneaky Jeremy Silver l Musketeer Bloody Jeremy Everhart l SwashBuckler Jeremy Everhart
    Buccaneer Reckless Jeremy Quincy l Privateer ​John Walker

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Khione For This Useful Post:

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

(Forgot to reply to the above portion of your last post, so I'm doing it in this one.) I appreciate you specifying which companions to bring into battle with my musketeer, but I'm not sure what you meant by my "third set" for witchdoctor and privateer. Were you referring to Dead Mike, Old Scratch and Bonnie Anne, or something else? Luisa has Dead Mike, but Nora doesn't, so... I still don't know what to do for her. :/

Back to the picks for musketeer, my Louis has Overwatch Rank 3, Return Fire 3 and Double Tap 1; and Chantal has Overwatch 3, Double Tap 2 and Burst Fire 2. As for the companions that are given to all classes, I gave them all the same "traits" every time, so Old Scratch has Improved Mojo Blast 2, Mojo Echo 2 and Witch Hunter 3. Would that set up still work for Fiona, or would that just get her killed?

I've soloed, and I've helped others get through. Basically, if you can keep the number of colored heads to a minimum it goes a lot faster and with less toll on your crew. Have you got Aquila or Marleybone Summon doubloons, should your companions fall to the onslaught?

Not all my girls have enough doubloons to sustain them, unfortunately. Nora, Luisa and Fiona might be all right in terms of ally summons. Even Brass should be okay, considering she's got lots of pet summons from opening so many Grizzly Beast Booster Packs in the past. Scar, on the other hand, not so much. She's in for a tough go... I've never asked anyone to be my friend from Central to the actual game, but now may be as good a time as any to put that offer out there. Anyone wanna be in-game chums? I could always do with more allies, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainPowwow View Post
    I haven't done the hydra battle in a long time but I'd recommend ranged companions and companions with high health. So, Privateers and Muskets. I'd still use storyline companions even though they have more epics than most side quest companions.

When I did the battle, I went in with Baar, Emmett, and Bonnie Anne, slightly different than my recommendations.
    Well... Baar is on my buccaneer's crew while Emmett is stuck on my privateer's, but I was considering recruiting Exeter onto Brass' team anyway. I just have to wait for the 50% off sale. C'mon, Christmas sales!

Quote Originally Posted by Khione View Post
    Normally any Musketeers/Swashbucklers with Riposte and Overwatch does the trick.
    You and CaptainPowwow both suggest using musketeers, but that's where the similar suggestions stop. You say swashbucklers, he says privateers, and @monkeypoos said to go for witchdoctors. Hmm... Also, Riposte and Overwatch may be a hindrance by unnecessarily killing off enemies and spawning in more. I'll have to think about this. But thank you all for your suggestions! I'm still configuring new set ups based on your input.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Woot

I like to take range companion in because they can target when not blocked by line of sight. A good hitter is good to take the ebon head down in a couple turns as opposed to a few turns though.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Avery Court Grace For This Useful Post:

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

~P~ Should Nora take...
    Jane Canary (True Grit 3, Double Tap 2, Overwatch 1) or Bonnie Anne* (Double Tap 2, Burst Fire 2, Return Fire 1, Overwatch 3)? Which one of the two?
    El Toro (Riposte 3, Blade Storm 2, Relentless 1), The Marchioness (Repel Boarders 3, Relentless 2, Vengeance Strike 2), Egg Shen (First Strike 2, Blade Storm 2, Relentless 2, Repel Boarders 1), Lucky Jack Russell or Handsome Dan (Blade Storm 2, Relentless 2, Repel Boarders 3), or Commander Emmett* (Return Fire 3, Overwatch 3, Double Tap 1)?
    Along with Old Scratch (Improved Mojo Blast 2, Mojo Echo 2, Witch Hunter 3), yes?

~S~ Should Scar take...
    Moresco de Valvida (Burst Fire 2, Double Tap 2, Quick Draw 2) or Bonnie Anne? [Note: he has 5 more weapon power than her.]
    Along with Fan Flanders (Flanking 1, Relentless 1, Blade Storm 2, Riposte 3) and El Toro? [Old Scratch isn't really useful on my swashbuckler's team, so I omitted him here.]

~W~ Should Luisa take...
    Kan Po (Riposte 3, Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2) or El Toro?
    Bones McGee (Quick Adjust 3, Double Tap 2, Return Fire 1), Bonnie Anne or Carcarius Grimtooth (Readied Spell 3, Improved Mojo Blast 2, Mojo Echo 2)? [Bones has better overall stats than Bonnie, but she still has better abilities/powers.]
    Along with Old Scratch, correct? [Since she's a witchdoctor, his slot isn't debatable; he's in.]

~B~ Should Brass take...
    Peter Quint (Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2, Vengeance Strike 3) or El Toro? [His Whale's Might strength buff versus El Toro's Esprit de Corps accuracy & dodge buff?]
    Nausica (Quick Adjust 3, Double Tap 2, Burst Fire 1) or Bonnie Anne? [Nausica is on par with Bonnie in terms of powers, but she also has better overall stats.]
    Khord (Bloodsucker 2, Witch Hunter 2, Mojo Echo 3), Ratbeard (Hold the Line 3, Repel Boarders 3, Blade Storm 2) or Baar* (Relentless 2, Blade Storm 2, Vengeance Strike 3)?

~M~ Should Fiona take...
    Louis le Bisque** (Overwatch 3, Return Fire 3, Double Tap 1) or Lucy Sterling (Repel Boarders 1, Riposte 3, First Strike 3)?
    Chantal Livingstone** (Overwatch 3, Double Tap 2, Burst Fire 2) or El Toro?
    Old Scratch** or Gaspard de Vole (First Strike 2, Blade Storm 2, Repel Boarders 2, Riposte 1)?

(*As suggested by @CaptainPowwow . **As suggested by @Willowdreamer .)
    Oh, and you don't have to choose only one from each line underneath each class' picks. It's just there to show what my 1st, 2nd and 3rd choices for each class lineup might be. Feel free to mix and match under each girl's companion lists and point out which three specifically you think work best, or throw your own suggestions into the ring by naming unlisted companions you think I ought to reconsider for my set ups. Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast