Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    250
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    666
    Thanks (Received)
    82
    Gold
    124
    Dreaming

    Idea: Pirate rest

    I want to know what people think about KI adding Pirate rest. It'd be the exact same as companion rest except whenever we die on a pirate we can't use that pirate until it's out of 'rest', unless we revive them for a few crowns (400).

    I think that it would be a great idea because it would encourage people to create more pirates and try out new pirate schools and it will also encourage people to think more in combat and not just use any old hits and die. It'll make the game easier because people will be more inclined to think before battles and realize they're not actually that hard.

    Just thought of this because of companion rest, do you like this idea? I think it would be cool for KI to add. @One-Eyed Jack





  2. #2
    Storyhunter101's Avatar
       Storyhunter101 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • Storyhunter101's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    308
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    996
    Thanks (Received)
    201
    Gold
    209

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
    I want to know what people think about KI adding Pirate rest. It'd be the exact same as companion rest except whenever we die on a pirate we can't use that pirate until it's out of 'rest', unless we revive them for a few crowns (400).

    I think that it would be a great idea because it would encourage people to create more pirates and try out new pirate schools and it will also encourage people to think more in combat and not just use any old hits and die. It'll make the game easier because people will be more inclined to think before battles and realize they're not actually that hard.

    Just thought of this because of companion rest, do you like this idea? I think it would be cool for KI to add. @One-Eyed Jack
    Oh god no! No offense to ye personally, @pops , but that sounds awful! I'd rather not give this game any more reasons to be called "pay-to-win" than it probably already has. There have got to be better incentives to make players more active and aware while playing and, for that matter, want to create more pirates. But you can't force players into doing something because you decide to hold their player character(s) hostage until they fork over even more money.

    Nay! I say belay that, matey!
    ~ Noble Nora Norrington, Privateer from Marleybone ~ Sly Scarlet Poole, Swashbuckler from Skull Island ~ Crafty Luisa Eastwick, Witchdoctor from Krokotopia ~ Brass Belle Silver, Buccaneer from Grizzleheim ~ Dead-eye Fiona Davenport, Musketeer from Mooshu



  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Storyhunter101 For This Useful Post:

    LuckyDuck (12-16-2016), pops (12-15-2016)


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    250
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    666
    Thanks (Received)
    82
    Gold
    124
    Dreaming

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Quote Originally Posted by Storyhunter101 View Post
    Oh god no! No offense to ye personally, @pops, but that sounds awful! I'd rather not give this game any more reasons to be called "pay-to-win" than it probably already has. There have got to be better incentives to make players more active and aware while playing and, for that matter, want to create more pirates. But you can't force players into doing something because you decide to hold their player character(s) hostage until they fork over even more money.

    Nay! I say belay that, matey!
    It's alright I didn't think I'd get much support in this idea, I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else agrees. The companion's rest time has made a lot of sense to me because it has made me explore other companions in battles and see which works best, so I was just thinking this would make people explore other schools and other strategies in fights. But I do obviously see why people wouldn't like this idea. About the P2W thing, I didn't think people would have thought this game to be P2W..All the best things are free. (Of course not having one mount purchaseable by gold can be seen as P2W, but we can always walk)



  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:

    LuckyDuck (12-16-2016)


  6. #4
    jigsaw056's Avatar
       jigsaw056 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    6
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Gold
    32
    Yeehaw

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Not my favorite idea, but I love the creativity, though.



  7. #5
    DarkFire054's Avatar
       DarkFire054 is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • DarkFire054's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fearless Wolf Nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,260
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    1,238
    Thanks (Received)
    662
    Gold
    755
    Cynical

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    I like the creativity behind your idea, but no, please, no, wounding system is semi-immersive and all, but id rather not have to wait 14hrs for my pirate to be patched up




    Avi By a friend of mine ( not from central )... Sig by me.



  8. #6
    Storyhunter101's Avatar
       Storyhunter101 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • Storyhunter101's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    308
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    996
    Thanks (Received)
    201
    Gold
    209

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
    It's alright I didn't think I'd get much support in this idea, I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else agrees. The companion's rest time has made a lot of sense to me because it has made me explore other companions in battles and see which works best, so I was just thinking this would make people explore other schools and other strategies in fights. But I do obviously see why people wouldn't like this idea. About the P2W thing, I didn't think people would have thought this game to be P2W..All the best things are free. (Of course not having one mount purchaseable by gold can be seen as P2W, but we can always walk)
    Lots of people already enjoy the different classes and play-styles—myself included. You're right though: not everyone tries out all the classes (or weapon combos, for that matter). But that doesn't mean the majority of players bar themselves off from everything and place themselves into little boxes of "change nothing yet try to press on anyway". Somehow I find that stubbornness to be way more difficult in this game, rather than just playing fluidly no matter where the winds blow.

    Aye. Again, you're pretty much right. KingsIsle does a fairly good job at not letting this game fall entirely into the pay-to-win category. Well, with this game, anyhow. Wizard101 is another story... As I was saying, for the most part, you can't just throw money at the screen and beat the game without any thought or effort put into it. However, there are ways in which the P2W "philosophy" occurs. Like buying henchmen to help you win fights. If you have the money, you can do it.

    Another example is paying to heal your wounded companions. Yes, you use gold to pay Miracle Mitch, not Crowns, but Miracle Mitch's expenses are outrageously priced! Say you can't afford his "miracles" and you're pressed for time to finish this dungeon you've been working at beating until the unthinkable happened—your best fighters fell in battle—and those wounded companions are the only ones you know can get the job done and win you the final portion of the dungeon, so all that time spent there isn't wasted. (Maybe all your other companions are also wounded, busy on tasks or were left behind and are extremely low in level.) But what can you do? You're all out of gold now and can't rush to get enough of it in time to pay Mitch and get back into the dungeon. So what do you do? You buy the gold with Crowns in the Crown Shop, hand it over to the greedy, grubby-handed Miracle Mitch to heal your best mates, and go back into the dungeon to beat the final boss(es) and win at last.

    Those are just a couple examples though. I personally don't do either one—buy henchmen or gold—so that leaves me in my own predicament because I'm not willing to waste my actual money to save what precious time I might've wasted instead. But you know there are players who are willing to do it. What other reason would there be for buying fake gold with real money unless people were actually using that option?
    ~ Noble Nora Norrington, Privateer from Marleybone ~ Sly Scarlet Poole, Swashbuckler from Skull Island ~ Crafty Luisa Eastwick, Witchdoctor from Krokotopia ~ Brass Belle Silver, Buccaneer from Grizzleheim ~ Dead-eye Fiona Davenport, Musketeer from Mooshu



  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyhunter101 For This Useful Post:

    CaptainPowwow (12-15-2016)


  10. #7
    CaptainPowwow's Avatar
       CaptainPowwow is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • CaptainPowwow's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Brave Hunter Young
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Nimitz Class Carrier
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    795
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    1,223
    Thanks (Received)
    799
    Gold
    230
    Torn

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Oh God no, companion rest was already bad enough. I liked the good old days when we could just revive them with the life fountain.
    [Main:Brave Hunter Young-Privateer-Level 70-Summer PvP Champion-Wiki Master]

    {[(POTCO - Powwow - level 50)]}




  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainPowwow For This Useful Post:

    DarkFire054 (12-15-2016), monkeypoos (12-15-2016), Storyhunter101 (12-15-2016)


  12. #8
       CozmicKoala is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    41
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    29
    Thanks (Received)
    16
    Gold
    58
    Cheerful

    Re: Idea: Pirate rest

    Probably a bit too heavy for P101. Especially for players just starting Valencia 2, where they may be caught off guard by the difficulty curve.

    I'm not so sure that introducing such a mechanic would encourage people to think more about how they play. We're already constrained by a time limit every turn as it is. If anything, it would just make players get more frustrated in the long run rather than encouraging strategic play.

    All that being said though, I'm not entirely opposed to this idea. I play Fire Emblem quite a bit, and I've gotten accustomed to it's permadeath option. I actually liked the Companion wound system, if only because it made losing a Companion in combat more detrimental, as opposed to simply healing them at a Life Fountain with no repercussions.

    Were Pirate101 more like a Fire Emblem game, maybe it would work. But even then, in Fire Emblem, the death of the main character in combat merely causes a game over. Not really an option like that in Pirate.

    Also, paying crowns to revive the Pirate character is a definite no. No doubt that many players would be upset by that change alone.



  13. The Following User Says Thank You to CozmicKoala For This Useful Post:

    Storyhunter101 (12-15-2016)


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •