Gold
    Cheerful

Wing Chun can't get Riposte 3?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2016-12-18 23-02-04-378.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	71765

Basically the title. Thought he would have access to it since it's his starting epic, but...

I'm pretty sure that I've seen builds for Wing that have Riposte 3 before. Is this a recent change perhaps?

Storyhunter101 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Storyhunter101's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Nora Norrington
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Val. Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Unhappy Re: Wing Chun can't get Riposte 3?

Quote Originally Posted by CozmicKoala View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2016-12-18 23-02-04-378.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	71765

Basically the title. Thought he would have access to it since it's his starting epic, but...

I'm pretty sure that I've seen builds for Wing that have Riposte 3 before. Is this a recent change perhaps?
    *sigh* Unfortunately, no. Wing Chun can't train Riposte rank 3 for... some reason. I was disappointed when I learned that.
    ~ Noble Nora Norrington, Privateer from Marleybone ~ Sly Scarlet Poole, Swashbuckler from Skull Island ~ Crafty Luisa Eastwick, Witchdoctor from Krokotopia ~ Brass Belle Silver, Buccaneer from Grizzleheim ~ Dead-eye Fiona Davenport, Musketeer from Mooshu

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyhunter101 For This Useful Post:

CozmicKoala (12-21-2016)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Willowdreamer's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciful Molly Mainstay
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Wing Chun can't get Riposte 3?

There are several companions who cannot train their starting Epic Talent to Rank 3. Wing Chun may be the only game-starting companion with this "handicap," though.

I can only believe that it is one of the ways that Kingsisle encourages us to seek variety in our team building and strategic thinking skills. Remember back to the original companion design where some of them couldn't even train certain regular talents, let alone Epic Talents? All companions are not meant to be equally strong or accurate or deadly. Some are meant to be second-line-of-defense, or support other companions, or defend-the-pirate types.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

CozmicKoala (12-21-2016)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Oh so basically that confirms my theory of who can get rank 3 epics. I have also heard that Wing Chun can get Riposte 3 and that confused me because it broke the pattern I found. Well, I guess we know now it was probably assumed. Anyway here is what I found, and believe me it has been really helpful to know this!

Buccaneers can Rank 3 (and later 4/5) Vengeance, Relentless, Blade Storm, and Hold The Line.
    Swashbucklers can Rank 3 (and later 4/5) Riposte, First Strike, Flanking, and Cheap Shot.
    Privateers can Rank 3 (and later 4/5) Repel Boarders, Blade Storm, Second Chance, and Witch Hunter.
    Musketeers can Rank 3 all their epics, though I found having Overwatch would limit them to Rank 2 Burst Fire.
    Witchdoctors can Rank 3 all their epics.

There are companions out there such as Ratbeard and the Presidio companions that can Rank 3 all there epics, but that is only because they have reach their third promotion, which allows them that access.

This really explains certain questions such as why Gaspard de Vole could (before his last promotion) only Rank 3 Blade Storm, and why Dead Mike couldn't Rank 3 Riposte (until later).

I been meaning to put this out there and I hope it helps!

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Free to Play Noob For This Useful Post:

11Bobsing (12-22-2016), CozmicKoala (12-21-2016), CrispyWyvern (12-22-2016), NinjaPikmin (12-19-2016), Storyhunter101 (12-19-2016), Willowdreamer (12-19-2016)

CozmicKoala is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheerful

Quote Originally Posted by Free to Play Noob View Post
    Oh so basically that confirms my theory of who can get rank 3 epics. I have also heard that Wing Chun can get Riposte 3 and that confused me because it broke the pattern I found. Well, I guess we know now it was probably assumed. Anyway here is what I found, and believe me it has been really helpful to know this!

I never really paid attention to any trends in terms of companion epics, so this was actually pretty cool to see. Thanks for that!

And I suppose that if Wing Chun did get Riposte 3, he'd more or less just be a Privateer clone of Kan Po. Still, hopefully he's able to pick it up in future updates.