bestbrigain is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

how does critical work exactly?

i've read online pages on it and have an idea but what i want to know is this: is there a limit to the amount of critical i can have? what gear gives the most? are there any setbacks with critical?
    Last edited by bestbrigain; 12-29-2016 at 09:28 AM.

CrispyWyvern is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• CrispyWyvern's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Scarlet Evans
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cold

Re: how does critical work exactly?

Lets use Fan Flanders as an example for this. She has a ton of agility. Those who have a lot of agility won't do as much criticals on each other than those who have less agility. That means Fan will critical more often on Buccaneers than Musketeers or Swashbucklers. The less Agility you have, the more likely Fan will get a critical on you. It works the other way with Strength and Will.
    Silver Scarlet EvansLvL 70 PT/ Fearless Zenobia Nightingale LvL 70 WD/ Payton Radcliffe LvL 70 MS/ Awkward Caroline Emmet LvL 70 BC/ Dead-eye Felicity Devereaux LvL 70 SB

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrispyWyvern For This Useful Post:

bestbrigain (12-29-2016)

bestbrigain is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CrispyWyvern View Post
    Lets use Fan Flanders as an example for this. She has a ton of agility. Those who have a lot of agility won't do as much criticals on each other than those who have less agility. That means Fan will critical more often on Buccaneers than Musketeers or Swashbucklers. The less Agility you have, the more likely Fan will get a critical on you. It works the other way with Strength and Will.
    thanks, but i was referring to raw critical like from the talent critical mastery, and also powers like grand shadowdance. is there limit to how much critical i can have? i know i can boost it with attributes like will and strength and agility but what i want to know is how do i get as much critical as possible.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bestbrigain For This Useful Post:

CrispyWyvern (12-29-2016)

CrispyWyvern is offline Sailor

• CrispyWyvern's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Scarlet Evans
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cold

Quote Originally Posted by bestbrigain View Post
    thanks, but i was referring to raw critical like from the talent critical mastery, and also powers like grand shadowdance. is there limit to how much critical i can have? i know i can boost it with attributes like will and strength and agility but what i want to know is how do i get as much critical as possible.
    Oh. I don't have anything on that lol
    Silver Scarlet EvansLvL 70 PT/ Fearless Zenobia Nightingale LvL 70 WD/ Payton Radcliffe LvL 70 MS/ Awkward Caroline Emmet LvL 70 BC/ Dead-eye Felicity Devereaux LvL 70 SB

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master

• Willowdreamer's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Merciful Molly Mainstay
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

My understanding of Critical is that it is a comparison of stats between attacker and defender. The higher the difference in stats, the greater the chance of a Critical Hit. Adding Critical Mastery to your pirate's stats tips that difference toward your pirate if the enemy does not also have additional Critical Mastery. You "roll the dice" to determine whether or not your hit will Critical (be an Epic, Mega or Super hit).

To my knowledge there is no "cap" or upper limit to the rating, but then, not a lot of gear will add it for us, I've only seen the the few pieces from the early bosses like the Flying Dutchman and The Master, and the Master Smuggler's Mask from the Black Market. It can, of course, be temporarily boosted by privateer powers or Doubloons.

I'm not sure what you may mean by setbacks, unless you mean triggering chains of return criticals, such as your own crititcal hit being followed up by three critical Vengeance Strikes plus Relentless.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

bestbrigain (12-30-2016), Ravino (12-30-2016), Seraphim of Light (12-30-2016)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    My understanding of Critical is that it is a comparison of stats between attacker and defender. The higher the difference in stats, the greater the chance of a Critical Hit. Adding Critical Mastery to your pirate's stats tips that difference toward your pirate if the enemy does not also have additional Critical Mastery. You "roll the dice" to determine whether or not your hit will Critical (be an Epic, Mega or Super hit).

To my knowledge there is no "cap" or upper limit to the rating, but then, not a lot of gear will add it for us, I've only seen the the few pieces from the early bosses like the Flying Dutchman and The Master, and the Master Smuggler's Mask from the Black Market. It can, of course, be temporarily boosted by privateer powers or Doubloons.

I'm not sure what you may mean by setbacks, unless you mean triggering chains of return criticals, such as your own crititcal hit being followed up by three critical Vengeance Strikes plus Relentless.
    You're very close! According to Ratbeard, every unit in-game has the same base/rough Critical chance (just like accuracy)... the boost stats affecting them (Strength, Agility, Will) then provides a bonus chance based off the stat difference.

The Critical buffs amplify the base chance, which is not compared to your target's stats... however the boost stats can reduce how likely you're to hit that critical.

-~-~-~-~-~-~-

The Critical stat talent were among the first talents to reach 5 ranks but unlike their counterparts of same potential, their stat improves through the ranks making rank 5 the greatest innate Critical buff.

You can into the Critical Mastery talents, available in 4 slots from revamped Skull Island bosses and the Mask from the Black Market. Unfortunately the talent on weapons and clothing were scrapped long ago during Test Realms.

Sadly you can't combine Shadowdances with the Privateer Banner buffs to make +50% Critical... you also can't keep boosting basic stats since the bonus caps at 25%. Guess one could try to stack Disciplines and multiple Banners..?

~R

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

Alphawolf (12-30-2016), Willowdreamer (12-30-2016)