Julian Devereaux is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Sneaky

Swashbuckler pvp counters

So I've been doing pvp for a while and I've been playing more often in spar. Sometimes when I play people they are like, "why are you using toro against a

musketeer" or "why are you using goronado as a buckler." I also keep hearing people say contessa counters nausica. Why? I realize that toro wouldn't be

good against a musketeer or a witch doctor for a simple reason. He has no super hit. Although he may be fogged and still deal a decent amount of damage

with relentless chains, swashbucklers try to knock out companions fast. His esperit wouldn't be efficient on a musketeer because of 2 reasons. One,

musketeers have a crazy amount of accuracy (since they're musketeers), so the odds of a dodge either way are low. Considering they probably have quick

adjust. Second, you don't really need accuracy against a musketeer because you will most likely hit them anyways. This also is the same with witch doctors.

Typically, they attack with magic attacks which are undodgeable and they don't dodge your attacks either. Plus, they are kind of "squishy", so having a

companion without a super hit wouldn't be ideal. I was thinking about Goronado and how he would influence my swashbuckler in pvp and whether it would

be positive or negative. In my opinion, he is much better than toro because he has vicious charge which reduces accuracy and he chains a lot. It wouldn't

make much sense to use him against a buccaneer because toro's buff would be helpful and against buccaneers, dodging is worth it. I like using him against

bucklers simply because he can reduce any swashbuckler companion's accuracy so they can't hit. Although they can still dodge, there is a very low chance

there reposte will land. In pvp I use Toro, Fan, and Goronado because it seems like a team I can still work with pretty balanced out against other schools.

Rank is different from spar of course because in rank you can't see who you are playing. Against a swashbuckler, buccaneer, or privateer, I would use that

team. But against a witch doctor or a musketeer, I would now start using Fan, Goronado, and Contessa. I would swap about Toro for Contessa because

Contessa has a back stab, and extra hide, and a gallant defense (which is very useful but not as much for swashbucklers). What I don't understand is why is

Contessa specifically a counter to Nausica. It is because she has a backstab and a hide so she can hammer Nausica down in 3 rounds? Or because of her

gallant defense? I would assume it would be for the gallant defense but that wouldn't make much sense for a swashbuckler. Usually the Contessa and

gallant defense strategy is used by others schools. It is useful to corner in a corner and then put a scratch buffed valor armor on Contessa so she can soak

up hits while the player and their companions do the work. It's a very hard to beat strategy for a buckler and probably even a buccaneer. But I can't say

much about other non-melee classes since I don't have one. Last thing I wanted to add. Would Goronado, Fan, and Nausica be a useful team. I would

imagine so. I just don't have Nausica. I'm not sure if spending $40 for basically a companion is worth it. So please comment below and tell me what you

think on what I've said. I would really like to hear some suggestions and why the true reason Contessa is a counter to Nausica if she truly is. Also comment if

you would like to play in spar with me and see if these strategies really work compared to others.
    Last edited by Julian Devereaux; 02-08-2017 at 09:19 PM.
    Level 70 Swashbuckler, Julian Devereaux. Rank: 320 (Paragon)

BiG BaD WoLFY is offline Rookie

• BiG BaD WoLFY's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Wolf Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Re: Swashbuckler pvp counters

Just a quick side note, you should post threads in the appropriate place, "The BattleBoard" under the Player vs Player section in this case since it's pvp related (don't know if a mod here could help in doing that?? Any mods around?). Also it'd be nice if you could break things into smaller paragraphs, that was a bit of a struggle to read and follow in one big blob of text.

_ _ _ _ _

Anywho those small critiques aside, I definitely agree with Goro Fan and Nausica being a solid universal team for swashbuckler. I'd personally say don't waste your money on getting Nausica though as you're more than alright with the companions you already have access to. Also yes, Toro is a staple in the melee matchups and your companion choice in ranked and vs each class individually is pretty fitting .

One suggestion I'd have is to bring Ratbeard for buccaneers and bucklers for his Hold the Line 3 (reduce enemy dodge upon approaching to out trade) and First Strike 3 (deal with fog on bucklers).

Also witchdoctors (more often than not) tend to bring summons and beast banner so you might want to try using Fan Toro and Sarah Steele, a great team vs them imo. I don't think Fan needs an explanation, but Toro would be there for his espirit so that the summons don't completely wreck you. Sarah though is great vs summons and almost always gets a full "chain" on them with Repel Boarders, FS2/3, Bladestorm 2 and Riposte 1/2. Her shadowdance along with Fan's Sky Spirit and Toro's Espirit really shuts down scorpions/trees before they can really do any game-changing damage to your team.

Regarding Contessa, you've probably heard of her as a "counter" to Nausica because her gallant defense guards ALL adjacent units from Nausica's guaranteed critical strikes. Unless the 2 are directly next to eachother in which case Contessa would obviously intercept a targeted ally, Nausica's critical strike won't "activate" and will have become obsolete, disappearing from her hand the next turn. Generally the idea is that if someone brings Contessa and sees an opposing Nausica, the Nausica will be inclined to target the Contessa rather than any other units she might have sought to weaken.

Overall I'd say the only matchup you definitely don't need Toro in is vs Musketeers, you should definitely bring Goro instead, you're right there. Having Nausica would help a lot for that one matchup but otherwise you can count on her being targeted and getting taken down immediately (which could be "good" from a resource standpoint though). On the same token though, nothing is stopping the Musketeer from running Contessa to specifically help keep Nausica at bay, who would otherwise run over their pirate and Chantal (staple). It's also swash's worst matchup though (believe it or not) so you might want her, but like I said, she gets walled by Contessa and isn't needed or necessary at all in any other matchup. Subodai also puts in work if you're able to get him into their territory safely, though Goro is a safer option to apply pressure with his vicious charge.

So just to recap my suggestions:
    • Definitely try out Fan Toro Sarah vs witches with summons
    • Try swapping Goro for Ratbeard for buccaneers and the swash ditto
    • Always use Toro vs melee classes
    • Bring Contessa vs Muskets (since you really don't need to bother getting Nausica)
    • **Don't be afraid to try different teams, you learn a lot about certain matchups**

I'd be happy to spar with you sometime if you'd like, I have a max swashbuckler and musketeer. I find it great to change things up every so often and try new approaches to matchups and strategies you may have become accustomed to.

Hope this helped answer a few of your questions/concerns!

-WoLFY (Noble Wolf Hawkins)

-Noble Wolf Hawkins- *PvP Champion*
    | Max -Swashbuckler-| Max Musketeer |
    |
    Max Privateer | Max Buccaneer |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BiG BaD WoLFY For This Useful Post:

NumberCruncher (02-09-2017)

Julian Devereaux is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Sneaky

Re: Swashbuckler pvp counters

Quote Originally Posted by BiG BaD WoLFY View Post
    Just a quick side note, you should post threads in the appropriate place, "The BattleBoard" under the Player vs Player section in this case since it's pvp related (don't know if a mod here could help in doing that?? Any mods around?). Also it'd be nice if you could break things into smaller paragraphs, that was a bit of a struggle to read and follow in one big blob of text.

_ _ _ _ _

Anywho those small critiques aside, I definitely agree with Goro Fan and Nausica being a solid universal team for swashbuckler. I'd personally say don't waste your money on getting Nausica though as you're more than alright with the companions you already have access to. Also yes, Toro is a staple in the melee matchups and your companion choice in ranked and vs each class individually is pretty fitting .

One suggestion I'd have is to bring Ratbeard for buccaneers and bucklers for his Hold the Line 3 (reduce enemy dodge upon approaching to out trade) and First Strike 3 (deal with fog on bucklers).

Also witchdoctors (more often than not) tend to bring summons and beast banner so you might want to try using Fan Toro and Sarah Steele, a great team vs them imo. I don't think Fan needs an explanation, but Toro would be there for his espirit so that the summons don't completely wreck you. Sarah though is great vs summons and almost always gets a full "chain" on them with Repel Boarders, FS2/3, Bladestorm 2 and Riposte 1/2. Her shadowdance along with Fan's Sky Spirit and Toro's Espirit really shuts down scorpions/trees before they can really do any game-changing damage to your team.

Regarding Contessa, you've probably heard of her as a "counter" to Nausica because her gallant defense guards ALL adjacent units from Nausica's guaranteed critical strikes. Unless the 2 are directly next to eachother in which case Contessa would obviously intercept a targeted ally, Nausica's critical strike won't "activate" and will have become obsolete, disappearing from her hand the next turn. Generally the idea is that if someone brings Contessa and sees an opposing Nausica, the Nausica will be inclined to target the Contessa rather than any other units she might have sought to weaken.

Overall I'd say the only matchup you definitely don't need Toro in is vs Musketeers, you should definitely bring Goro instead, you're right there. Having Nausica would help a lot for that one matchup but otherwise you can count on her being targeted and getting taken down immediately (which could be "good" from a resource standpoint though). On the same token though, nothing is stopping the Musketeer from running Contessa to specifically help keep Nausica at bay, who would otherwise run over their pirate and Chantal (staple). It's also swash's worst matchup though (believe it or not) so you might want her, but like I said, she gets walled by Contessa and isn't needed or necessary at all in any other matchup. Subodai also puts in work if you're able to get him into their territory safely, though Goro is a safer option to apply pressure with his vicious charge.

So just to recap my suggestions:
    • Definitely try out Fan Toro Sarah vs witches with summons
    • Try swapping Goro for Ratbeard for buccaneers and the swash ditto
    • Always use Toro vs melee classes
    • Bring Contessa vs Muskets (since you really don't need to bother getting Nausica)
    • **Don't be afraid to try different teams, you learn a lot about certain matchups**

I'd be happy to spar with you sometime if you'd like, I have a max swashbuckler and musketeer. I find it great to change things up every so often and try new approaches to matchups and strategies you may have become accustomed to.

Hope this helped answer a few of your questions/concerns!

-WoLFY (Noble Wolf Hawkins)
    Thanks! That really cleared things up. I would love to spar with you. I'm usually in brawling hall and i'm on right now if you're interested.
    Level 70 Swashbuckler, Julian Devereaux. Rank: 320 (Paragon)