PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Offensive Advice for a Privateer?

I love playing privateer and love being the defense of the team. However, during my latest run of The Machine, I was in a situation where all the companions died that I realized,
    I can't really hit! I had to rely on the other players to do the work while I just healed and buffed (which is still great, don't get me wrong). But it got me thinking, what if it was just me alone? How can I finish the fight?

I've tried a melee privateer, but I don't believe I have a good setup and feel pretty weak (though I had come from a Buccaneer character). I have also thought about a Witchdoctor setup, but I don't know where to start and am worried about how gear slots I would have to sacrifice for the spells whatever they will be. So I decided to come here to ask for help (like I usually do). And as always, all help is appreciated.

Fritsle is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Offensive Advice for a Privateer?

I actually play a melee privateer myself, and in solo, i actually do go on the aggressive. What you have to remember for going melee is how your buffs you have help you. Always use weapons which benefit from will, things like Bound Oni Bulwark, Gargoyle Shield, Staff of Power (Slashy/staffy version) and the like. Remember what your buffs can do for you, and what you can get from clandestine Trainers.

with relentless 2 (1 from Clandestine and 1 from Cossack's Blades, although from pet works just fine) And will buffs/Critical buffs (my own buffs!) i can easily hit and reach at least 4-6 hits per turn (mind you i also have Readied Spell to couple with my Repel Boarders, also trained.) with each hit doing 300 damage and over 400 if i do any kind of critical hit, which is VERY often.

Basically, as far as melee privateer is concerned, you need to remember that you have buffs to support your melee capabilities, Will buffs to increase your crit rate, Crit damage and Relentless rate (Which makes you trigger them especially often against Swashbuckler and buccaneer enemies), Critical buffs to deal more damage and help you trigger Bladestorm or Mojo Rising if you get those from your pet, and accuracy buffs to hit at all! If you're out of those buffs (already cast them and they ran out) then i'm afraid even with your best efforts you won't make a spectacular dent in your enemies' health bars.

(Ontop of what i mentioned, i also have the eyes of the cobra totem for first strike, and am currently morphing for first strike 2. Not great, but will make me relentless more often, so it will help.)

On the complete OTHER end, you could aim to do more damage using your spells. now, The Big Guns does not do shameful damage, especially if you can trick an enemy to walk through two of the fires aswell. You could always grind some of the new skull island Accesories (Totem, Necklace, Ring) for one that gives Spooky + GhostWail, naturally. Privateers also receive Scratch's mojo buff, regardless from distance of ol' scratch. You won't have the right spells to do the same damage as a witchdoctor, but with two or three scratch buffs, you'll be doing respectable hits, at the very least. i think if you have naturally spooky, it'll actually help a lot in this case.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fritsle For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (06-10-2017),helena (06-10-2017)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Fritsle View Post
    I actually play a melee privateer myself, and in solo, i actually do go on the aggressive. What you have to remember for going melee is how your buffs you have help you. Always use weapons which benefit from will, things like Bound Oni Bulwark, Gargoyle Shield, Staff of Power (Slashy/staffy version) and the like. Remember what your buffs can do for you, and what you can get from clandestine Trainers.

with relentless 2 (1 from Clandestine and 1 from Cossack's Blades, although from pet works just fine) And will buffs/Critical buffs (my own buffs!) i can easily hit and reach at least 4-6 hits per turn (mind you i also have Readied Spell to couple with my Repel Boarders, also trained.) with each hit doing 300 damage and over 400 if i do any kind of critical hit, which is VERY often.

Basically, as far as melee privateer is concerned, you need to remember that you have buffs to support your melee capabilities, Will buffs to increase your crit rate, Crit damage and Relentless rate (Which makes you trigger them especially often against Swashbuckler and buccaneer enemies), Critical buffs to deal more damage and help you trigger Bladestorm or Mojo Rising if you get those from your pet, and accuracy buffs to hit at all! If you're out of those buffs (already cast them and they ran out) then i'm afraid even with your best efforts you won't make a spectacular dent in your enemies' health bars.

(Ontop of what i mentioned, i also have the eyes of the cobra totem for first strike, and am currently morphing for first strike 2. Not great, but will make me relentless more often, so it will help.)

On the complete OTHER end, you could aim to do more damage using your spells. now, The Big Guns does not do shameful damage, especially if you can trick an enemy to walk through two of the fires aswell. You could always grind some of the new skull island Accesories (Totem, Necklace, Ring) for one that gives Spooky + GhostWail, naturally. Privateers also receive Scratch's mojo buff, regardless from distance of ol' scratch. You won't have the right spells to do the same damage as a witchdoctor, but with two or three scratch buffs, you'll be doing respectable hits, at the very least. i think if you have naturally spooky, it'll actually help a lot in this case.
    This is great, thank you! I just have one more question to ask, how many gear slots do you recommend should I use
    for the attacks?

Fritsle is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Free to Play Noob View Post
    This is great, thank you! I just have one more question to ask, how many gear slots do you recommend should I use
    for the attacks?
    For PvE i honestly only use gear which grants epics and stats. I give myself high dodge, but i don't believe it's super necessary as a privateer, i just personally prefer it. If you're going melee privateer, just go for good stats, have atleast some gear that gives accuracy, have atleast 100 will, and that should be fine. If you have some mooshu gear to give yourself super strikes, that also works for a little bonus damage. Any skull island accesory with Critical Mastery or Increased Base Will by the passive, and Vicious Charge or Backstab for the active should do.

For spellcaster, the gear doesn't really matter. Get some Willpower/increase critical mastery because spells still crit and i believe willpower difference still is used for damage calculation, but Definitely get atleast one skull island accesory with "Increase base Mojo" and Ghostwail. I would recommend one extra ghostwail, or another equipment with mojo reaver (i remember there being one, but not which one...) if you can. Other gear with Mojo Storm, Better versions of ghostwail or more The Big Guns also helps the build. Mojo power also empowers your heals and Valor Shield, so you could always grab more of those on your gear to keep your companions alive more, so with some luck they don't die in the first place.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

This is what my privateer who geared towards healing uses. I made it right up to getting the key for the toy maker.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2017-06-10 19-24-21-910.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	72346
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 2017-06-10 19-24-11-252.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	72347

The scorpion swarm takes the heat off of rushes and when used right they surroud targets keeping them from moving a turn. And they do have fair dodge. I use bombs and mojo strike from the withdoctor trainer most things are dead by then. Not much can survive your companions and old scratch boosted bombs. Something i learned to do is:

Scorpions >> bombs/ Scratch 100% buff>> Bombs/ Scratch 50% >> bombs scratch 25%. No much is standing after that. That will do more keep your companions alive. As starting big even for Witch will greatly reduce enemy health before then even reach you. The issue with grants i find is that it deadly in higher worlds. Often less is more as the more chains that occur the higher the chance your con-rads are dead.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Starbreaker For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (06-10-2017)

xNickx is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I'm having no problem to keep my crew alive.
    Main crew, main skills and doubloons. Equipment nothing fancy, except Captain Blood's jacket, maybe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Picture 2017-06-11 00-34-47-982.jpg   Picture 2017-06-11 00-31-52-878.jpg   Picture 2017-06-11 00-32-39-280.jpg   Picture 2017-06-11 00-33-07-850.jpg  
    Last edited by xNickx; 06-11-2017 at 12:59 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to xNickx For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (06-11-2017)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

I'll keep it simple:

• The Big Guns + Old Scratch's mojo flows = ~750 damage.
      • Hitting someone 2-3 times will have them at or below half health. BoD becomes potentially fatal to any who are adjacent to damaged units.
      • Mojo flows make for nice big heals.

• Firstmate's Boon + offensive unit = ~600 damage per hit to enemy.
      • A well protected Nausica with Firstmate's boon can defeat an entire musketeer team.

• Use companions that can deal a lot of damage, preferably ones with relentless/burst fire/mojo echo.
    • Use Battle Zeal offensively. You will be able to hit the enemy, while they can't rely on their epics to hit you. It is one of the best moves, offensive while defensive.
    • Equipping Death's Bargain can turn your pirate into a walking tank that saps health, dealing ~250 damage per activation while receiving half of it in health back. A great way to wither away the enemy's health while staying alive.
    Last edited by RealDux; 06-13-2017 at 06:01 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (06-19-2017)