•  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

When to buy the first ship?

Looking at Willowdreamer's guide, there are tons of ship options in this game!

I am currently at the beginning of Monquista with the ship that my Presidio companion gave to me (the second ship in the game, after the raft). I'm very tempted to buy the low-level pirate galleon from Ella Scott in Scrimshaw, but as I don't have much gold I think it might be smarter to just tough it out until I finish Monquista and can get the Monquistan skiff as a quest reward. After that, I'm not sure what ship to save up for.

To help me make my own purchase decision, I would like to ask you guys: when did you buy your first ship, and why?
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

fieryalyssataylor (01-18-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-17-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: When to buy the first ship?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

I am currently at the beginning of Monquista with the ship that my Presidio companion gave to me (the second ship in the game, after the raft). I'm very tempted to buy the low-level pirate galleon from Ella Scott in Scrimshaw, but as I don't have much gold I think it might be smarter to just tough it out until I finish Monquista and can get the Monquistan skiff as a quest reward. After that, I'm not sure what ship to save up for.

To help me make my own purchase decision, I would like to ask you guys: when did you buy your first ship, and why?
    Many people wait for the Monsquistan Skiff, but on my first Pirate I bought the Pirate Galleon as soon as I enough gold saved up. I just love sailing ships and the variety of them that are available. Gold wasn't a problem for me, because I always fought bosses about five times each to see what loot I could get. When you start doing the Party Barge quests, you'll get 4,000 gold a day minimum, so if you want the Pirate Galleon, I say go for it. Put your companions to work in the meantime -- before you log off, send them all off on tasks like Plundering. Also, Pet Training can get you extra gold when you sell the rare Pet Gear, so have all of the pets you have energy for training whenever you can.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (01-17-2018),Stephanie (01-17-2018)

numbly1980 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

The Heavy Galleon I bought when I finally got to Tradewinds Skyway for all my pirates & you should buy ship parts for it asap.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to numbly1980 For This Useful Post:

monkeycrew is online now Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

I made it through Monquista and Valencia with the Skull Island Skiff and another ship you get for free later. I would recommend to start buying stronger ships when you get to Cool Ranch. Try not to buy anything smaller than a Frigate, because you're only gonna buy a bigger one later anyway.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

maple9300 is offline Deckhand

• maple9300's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Gin no Melody
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Going Merry T_T
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Procrastinating

In my opinion, it depends on whether you're soloing through the game or playing with other people. If you're playing with other people, I'd stay with the ship you have, and you can just hold out until the Monquistan skiff since you're questing with other ships. If solo, I'd suggest getting the Galleon in Scrimshaw. For self-sustenance, be sure to keep up with the increasing difficulty of the enemy ships and get news ones whenever possible.
    Amanda Nightingale, 70 Swashbuckler; Sly Emily Kidd, 70 Musketeer; Lucy Everheart, 70 Witchdoctor; ​Charming Adrian, 70 Buccaneer; Clever Irene, 70 Privateer; Silver Melody, 70 Swashbuckler

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maple9300 For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• DarkFire054's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fearless Wolf Nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

Personally, I prefer to upgrade my ship to the next best thing whenever possible, given that it makes nautical quests easier to do the more geared up your'e ship is, that and with the bazaar, you can buy some parts outright as apposed to waiting for them to drop off mobs; I'd also recommend doing as many side quests as possible, they tend to give a rather decent amount of gold and some nautical xp, so it should help you keep up with the costs, every little bit helps, that and certain dye combinations for some odd reason, cost a bit more gold than others, so keep an eye on the preview bar before you make a purchase; Another thing that really helps you in the long run is sending any companions you aren't going to use or that are benched off on sailing, which although based in real-time, still gives you more Nautical xp which really helps you out to keep up with the level requirements, though be aware the time it takes (and the xp granted) scale up with companion levels~

Avi By a friend of mine ( not from central )... Sig by me.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DarkFire054 For This Useful Post:

helena (01-18-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-17-2018),Stephanie (01-17-2018),Willowdreamer (01-17-2018)

fieryalyssataylor is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Nerdy

actually, the last ship I bought that i remember, I think I bought my first ship right after I got to cool ranch, it was a bison one I think, on my swashbuckler. I still use it, its definitely was a step up from using the monquistan skiff I have on her.I would recommend using your current ship as long as you can, then, when the mobs start getting much harder, or you think its time for a upgrade, I would recommend buying a new ship.I'm still kind of new to this game, so I don't know any good tips for you. hope this helped either way!

meow! =^.^=

P.S sig and avi by @HelpfulAuroraParker

14. The Following User Says Thank You to fieryalyssataylor For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (01-18-2018)

Nimbostratus is offline Deck Swabber

• Nimbostratus's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Earnest Eric
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Marleybone Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Mellow

I always buy the Pirate Galleon ASAP. It does just fine at carrying you through the game until you reach Cool Ranch. Using the Monquistan skiff doesn't seem worth the trouble, because there's not enough gear for it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nimbostratus For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (05-14-2018)

HeckKitty is offline Land Lubber

• HeckKitty's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Bloody Mary
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Ghostly Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Since I normally solo I grab the galleon then use that until Cool Ranch simply because it's better than the skiff in my opinion because of the lack of gear for the skiff.
    For gear, I buy gear to start from gear vendors and then use gear I mostly get from ship battles (which are often better than vendor gear).
    Meow.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HeckKitty For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-27-2018)

Frxxy is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

The first ship I bought was in cool ranch part 1, I used that ship until port regal and then bought a new ship from there, I usually buy a new ship every world on my coop play through, but it's harder to get gold solo, so it's limited and I usually hold off when there's a new ship quest soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast