•  Ship Type:
      •  Mooshu Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Category:Pets Not Working As Intended

Not sure if this kind of post should go here, though this seems like it should go under "Questions, comments, and problems about Pirate101 Central only please." with an emphasis on problem.

This post is about this page: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Category:Pets

The page seems to have an error that will occur when someone uses the site without logging in to an account on the site. Specifically, the page will show text saying: "The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 338 total." However, when one is logged in on this site, the text will instead say: "The following 200 pages are in this category, out of 353 total."

Upon closer inspection, comparing the web page in these two states (using it when logged in vs. using it when not logged in) shows that a few pages for links to pets are not showing up while using the site when not logged in. Specifically, the pages for the Chupacabra pets (all 8 of them), Frozen Fish, Birthday Dimetrosaur (Hybrid), and Birthday Scylla (Hybrid). Mathematically, there should be 4 more links to pets that are not showing up on the web page when not logged in.

Here is visual proof of this abnormality in the site:

What it looks like when logged in:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logged.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	73980

What it looks like when not logged in:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	not_logged.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	73981

I'm not sure what could be causing this. However, this is clearly not an intended function of the site.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LegendaryM7 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-16-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Category:Pets Not Working As Intended

My first thought was that perhaps it could be a cache issue, that the information isn't updated until the login occurs and reloads the result. How many times were you not logged in versus logged in, etc.?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-16-2018)

LegendaryM7 is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• LegendaryM7's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Fearless Killian Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Mooshu Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    My first thought was that perhaps it could be a cache issue, that the information isn't updated until the login occurs and reloads the result. How many times were you not logged in versus logged in, etc.?

I'll say this, logging in and logging back out doesn't seem to fix the issue. The web page will still show the number as 338 whenever not logged in, even after having logged in and logging back out. This error seems to occur in both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox web browsers (haven't checked on any other browsers). Clicking on the "Next 200" button when not logged in will take the user to http://www.pirate101central.com/w/in...Shark#mw-pages which shows the text: "The following 141 pages are in this category, out of 353 total." In other words, the error seems to only occur on the original page (the one that can be gotten to by going to http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki/Pirate101_Wiki and then clicking on the "Pets" link). Similar errors seem to occur on the pages: http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...eneration_Pets and http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki...ry:Hybrid_Pets
    For the First Generation Pets page, it will give a number of 274 when logged in and a number of 265 when not logged in. For the Hybrid pets page, it will give a number of 78 when logged in and a number of 72 when not logged in. It seems that the states of all three web pages for lists of pets (only when using the site while not being logged in) are stuck at a certain point in time, likely sometime between when Bunnis Maximus was added to the site, and when the Chupacabra pets were added to the site. However, this doesn't explain why the links for the birthday pet hybrids are not included on the original pets page (looking at the Forums, the two hybrid versions of these pets were discovered before Bunnis Maximus was found).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LegendaryM7 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-17-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

I wonder if @Jester needs to run some database re-linking or re-alignment utility, but I honestly don't have any clue of what goes on that far behind the scenes. I've sent him a PM about this thread, so we just need to wait until he has some time to troubleshoot the issue.

Just goes to show -- it's always best to be logged in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-18-2018)

Jester is offline Administrator
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I wonder if @Jester needs to run some database re-linking or re-alignment utility, but I honestly don't have any clue of what goes on that far behind the scenes. I've sent him a PM about this thread, so we just need to wait until he has some time to troubleshoot the issue.

Just goes to show -- it's always best to be logged in.

That's a good thought, I'll check the nightly maintenance scripts. Let's see if it straightens anything out.

~Onward through the fog~

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-18-2018)

Jester is offline Administrator
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Scurvy

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    That's a good thought, I'll check the nightly maintenance scripts. Let's see if it straightens anything out.
    Seems as though the article count updater wasn't updating. Not sure if that would cause this issue, but it's fixed now.

~Onward through the fog~

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jester For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-18-2018),Willowdreamer (02-18-2018)