Yankee Doodle Do or Die
    A real, live Pirate in the Spiral Worlds
    Born on the 4th of July
    I've got a Yankee Doodle First Mate
    Annie's my Yankee Doodle Chum
    Her Burst Fire Hits All Targets
    They All Lose Some Dodgy
    Ain't That Some Pirate Kind of Yum!

The following patriotic contests will be posted in the Official Pirate101 Central Contest Forum, which can be found here:

*Proud Pirate Reverse Caption with @Willowdreamer July 7th to 20th

*Building Patriots Guessing Contest with @CaptainPowwow July 9th to 20th

* Red, White and Blue Back to the Start 1v1 Tournament with @CelestialMoon, Now Open

*Create a Patriotic Companion with @Virtuous Vanessa July 8th to 14th

*Patriotic Party Time with @Sheldon, July 10th-21st

Yo Ho and Thank Ye to @Jester and KingsIsle for providing all of the prizes!!

Last edited by Sheldon; 07-10-2018 at 03:34 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian (07-09-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-07-2018),Stephanie (07-10-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Proud to Be a Pirate Patriotic Contests

Yo Ho! It's contest time!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-07-2018)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Quick question on context. So uh these patriotic contests... Patriotic as in American Nationalism and Pride, or as the title suggests, Patriotic to the Pirate Brotherhood??? It just seems to me that to some degree elements of American patriotism is injected into what I thought is the overarching theme of these contests- pirate patriotism.

Personally, I was initially going for the sole pirate patriotism approach, but after seeing some entries and structure of the contests, it seems that using American elements (i.e. eagles, red white and blue color palette, etc) would be favorable and more appealing to all of you judges, who I presume to also be American.

I am willing to change my ideas if adding American factors here and there would result in an advantage over those who opt for the sole pirate, and pirate only, patriotic approach.

Just keen to hear your thoughts @Willowdreamer
    Last edited by GoldenGuardian; 07-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuardian View Post
    Quick question on context. So uh these patriotic contests... Patriotic as in American Nationalism and Pride, or as the title suggests, Patriotic to the Pirate Brotherhood??? It just seems to me that to some degree elements of American patriotism is injected into what I thought is the overarching theme of these contests- pirate patriotism.

Personally, I was initially going for the sole pirate patriotism approach, but after seeing some entries and structure of the contests, it seems that using American elements (i.e. eagles, red white and blue color palette, etc) would be favorable and more appealing to all of you judges, who I presume to also be American.

I am willing to change my ideas if adding American factors here and there would result in an advantage over those who opt for the sole pirate, and pirate only, patriotic approach.

Just keen to hear your thoughts @Willowdreamer
    Thanks for asking -- each contest will be judged individually by the staff member who is running it, but for myself -- American factors, as you call them, will not be weighed. Being an American, that was my fall-back for reference, but the phrase "Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood" is really a French motto (Liberté, égalité, fraternité), and I almost went with Expecto Piratus instead of Semper Piratus just because it felt fun for a while, but then I changed it because it felt too wizard-y. I'm sure you're seeing American elements because the majority of our members are probably American.

If a member uses patriotic coloring from their own country which isn't red-white-blue schemed, it may not be as recognizable to me, but I would certainly enjoy learning about it and what the meaning is behind the elements. There aren't any rules about explaining one's own concept of patriotism.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 07-09-2018 at 09:51 AM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (07-09-2018),GoldenGuardian (07-09-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    Thanks for asking -- each contest will be judged individually by the staff member who is running it, but for myself -- American factors, as you call them, will not be weighed. Being an American, that was my fall-back for reference, but the phrase "Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood" is really a French motto (Liberté, égalité, fraternité), and I almost went with Expecto Piratus instead of Semper Piratus just because it felt fun for a while, but then I changed it because it felt too wizard-y. I'm sure you're seeing American elements because the majority of our members are probably American.

If a member uses patriotic coloring from their own country which isn't red-white-blue schemed, it may not be as recognizable to me, but I would certainly enjoy learning about it and what the meaning is behind the elements. There aren't any rules about explaining one's own concept of patriotism.

Ah I see, it varies by judge. Thanks Willow. I guess I should ask the rest then and we should see what they say. @CaptainPowwow @Celestialmoon @Sheldon @Virtuous Vanessa what are each of your takes on the subject at hand?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018),Willowdreamer (07-09-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky

Ah I see, it varies by judge. Thanks Willow. I guess I should ask the rest then and we should see what they say. @CaptainPowwow @Celestialmoon @Sheldon @Virtuous Vanessa what are each of your takes on the subject at hand?
    My contest is simply a PvP competition. There are no rules as to if you have to dye your gear American Patriotic colors or not and nobody would be penalized for not doing so. Players should just join if they wish, find gear that corresponds to the rules listed on the tournament page which I will link below and have themselves a grand time meeting other pirates and testing their PvP skills!

http://www.pirate101central.com/foru...?do=view&id=70

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celestialmoon For This Useful Post:

CaptainPowwow (07-10-2018),GoldenGuardian (07-10-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018),Willowdreamer (07-09-2018)

Sheldon is offline Trade Moderator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

It's a patriotic contest, and given that I am not a American myself, I'm not going to limit entries to purely american patriotism. You're welcome to use any country you wish!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (07-09-2018),GoldenGuardian (07-10-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018),Willowdreamer (07-09-2018)

CaptainPowwow is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• CaptainPowwow's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Brave Hunter Young
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Nimitz Class Carrier
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Torn

I kinda chose the colors common in American patriotic themes since Pirate101 was created and developed in America...I mean the eagle mount in the game is clearly based off of the American flag.

However, I'm always open to learning about the cultures of our nonamerican players/friends as well!

I hope people don't confused patriotism with nationalism.
    Last edited by CaptainPowwow; 07-09-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    [Main:Brave Hunter Young-Privateer-Level 70-Summer PvP Champion-Wiki Master]

{[(POTCO - Powwow - level 50)]}

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainPowwow For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (07-09-2018),GoldenGuardian (07-10-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-09-2018),Willowdreamer (07-09-2018)

Virtuous Vanessa is offline Moderator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Like my fellow staff members, “American-ness” will not be weighed. If people want to use American patriotism, that’s fine. However, it’s also fine to represent other countries or even fictional places in the Spiral like Skull Island, Marleybone, or Mooshu.
    Avatar by KingsIsle’s Jeff Toney

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Virtuous Vanessa For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (07-09-2018),GoldenGuardian (07-10-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (07-10-2018),Willowdreamer (07-10-2018)