•  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Breezy

Some Privateer Questions

Hey guys! I’ve been playing Pirate101 since it went live, but I’ve never gotten a privateer past level five. So, I’d like to ask some advice from all you experienced privateers out there. Since it’s the only class I haven’t done, I’m a little clueless

I will say I’ve gone all or almost all of Valencia part 2 on my Swash, Witchdoctor, Buccaneer, and Musketeer, so I’m pretty experienced in those classes.

Question 1: which presidio companion would you recommend for a privateer? The only one I’ve never chosen is Lucky Jack Russel, so I know what the other 4 are like.

Question 2: where should I be raised? I was thinking either Krokotopia or Grizzleheim, but I’m not entirely sure

Question 3: what are the best things to train secondarily? I’ve heard witchdoctor can be good for its spell power, but I’m also a melee advocate lol

Question 4: weapons... should I go the slashy/smashy route, or a weapon that utilizes more will, like staves?

Question 5: does anyone have any general tips for a privy noob? Anything is appreciated!

And thank you to anyone who answers
    Last edited by Lacrymosa; 07-10-2018 at 05:09 PM.

Sly Austin Davenport - Virtuous Maria Bowman - Clever Dylan Parker - Ruthless Hannah Everhart - Carlyle
    Level 70 - Level 70 - ​Level 70 - ​Level 70 - ​Level 56

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lacrymosa For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-10-2018),Stephanie (07-10-2018),Willowdreamer (07-10-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Some Privateer Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
    Hey guys! I’ve been playing Pirate101 since it went live, but I’ve never gotten a privateer past level five. So, I’d like to ask some advice from all you experienced privateers out there. Since it’s the only class I haven’t done, I’m a little clueless

I will say I’ve gone all or almost all of Valencia part 2 on my Swash, Witchdoctor, Buccaneer, and Musketeer, so I’m pretty experienced in those classes.

Question 1: which presidio companion would you recommend for a privateer? The only one I’ve never chosen is Lucky Jack Russel, so I know what the other 4 are like.

Question 2: where should I be raised? I was thinking either Krokotopia or Grizzleheim, but I’m not entirely sure

Question 3: what are the best things to train secondarily? I’ve heard witchdoctor can be good for its spell power, but I’m also a melee advocate lol

Question 4: weapons... should I go the slashy/smashy route, or a weapon that utilizes more will, like staves?

Question 5: does anyone have any general tips for a privy noob? Anything is appreciated!

And thank you to anyone who answers
    So, you haven't managed to get a Privateer past Level 5? I think you may be over-analyzing what needs to happen with that class.

ANY presidio companion is great. I personally have Lucky Jack Russell on my first Privateer, and he does fine. Privateers get the largest crew out of all the pirate classes, so if you don't take advantage of the variety, and end up using your favorites from earlier classes, no harm no foul, just be aware that you will have so much variety in your crew, you can have multiple successful strategies.

Again, ANY world origin is fine. Privateer gear generally gives a health boost, so you wouldn't really need to start out extra tough but it wouldn't hurt, and additional spell power might be of some use. These things don't really make a huge difference to the game play.

I have a witchy-Privy and a Bucc-Privy, and they both play well, but since you say you enjoy joining the melee, I'd suggest training Buccaneer abilities and using a slashy/smashy weapon -- the default weapon given for your quest rewards is going to be the shield/buckler. There are literally dozens to choose from in the Bazaar if you want. Privateer attacks normally boost from Will, but many weapons will boost from Strength.

My main advice is to use your boosting powers and allow your crew to do the initial damage, then, if you want to get a few hits in, run on into the fray and finish off the enemies. If you insist on leading the charge like a Buccaneer, you'll also be prepared to shield and heal.

Have Fun!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-10-2018),Lacrymosa (07-10-2018)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Heya, max privateer here

I personally chose Milo Graytail because I sometimes use an all-agility team, and Privateers don't get many swashbuckler companions. However, Lucky Jack is very good if you want another will-based melee companion in addition to Marchioness and Catbeard.

Krokotopia for sure, so your guns and heals will be stronger.

Personally, this was how I spent my points:

- Witchdoctor talents up to Spooky 2
    - Swashbuckler powers up to Walk in Shadows
    - Swashbuckler talents up to Fast 2
    - Musketeer powers up to Raise Barricade (The other option is to train Buccaneer talents up to Relentless from the Lost Hoplite.)
    - Witch Hunter from Kurotadori

Those are the main ones that are generally considered good. Anything else, like Ghostwail, Mighty Charge, or extra accuracy/dodge is up to personal preference.

Definitely will-based weapons. Some melee weapons are will-based as well, like staffy/slashy!

General tip would be to try and think like a leader / mastermind of the battle, rather than the one who does the damage.

Have fun!
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-10-2018),Lacrymosa (07-10-2018)

Lacrymosa is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Lacrymosa's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Ruthless Hannah Everhart
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    So, you haven't managed to get a Privateer past Level 5? I think you may be over-analyzing what needs to happen with that class.

ANY presidio companion is great. I personally have Lucky Jack Russell on my first Privateer, and he does fine. Privateers get the largest crew out of all the pirate classes, so if you don't take advantage of the variety, and end up using your favorites from earlier classes, no harm no foul, just be aware that you will have so much variety in your crew, you can have multiple successful strategies.

Again, ANY world origin is fine. Privateer gear generally gives a health boost, so you wouldn't really need to start out extra tough but it wouldn't hurt, and additional spell power might be of some use. These things don't really make a huge difference to the game play.

I have a witchy-Privy and a Bucc-Privy, and they both play well, but since you say you enjoy joining the melee, I'd suggest training Buccaneer abilities and using a slashy/smashy weapon -- the default weapon given for your quest rewards is going to be the shield/buckler. There are literally dozens to choose from in the Bazaar if you want. Privateer attacks normally boost from Will, but many weapons will boost from Strength.

My main advice is to use your boosting powers and allow your crew to do the initial damage, then, if you want to get a few hits in, run on into the fray and finish off the enemies. If you insist on leading the charge like a Buccaneer, you'll also be prepared to shield and heal.

Have Fun!

Just to clarify, I’ve never pushed myself to leveling up a privy past level 5, it’s not that I’m unable to
    Thank you and @Stephanie for the advice. I decided to go with Lucky Jack (since I’ve never used him and I’m curious) and Krok for the spooky boost. I’ll definitely need to get used to letting my companions do most of the work, though I will probably try to be decently strong with some buck/swash abilities.

Sly Austin Davenport - Virtuous Maria Bowman - Clever Dylan Parker - Ruthless Hannah Everhart - Carlyle
    Level 70 - Level 70 - ​Level 70 - ​Level 70 - ​Level 56

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lacrymosa For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (07-10-2018),Stephanie (07-11-2018),Willowdreamer (07-10-2018)