Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Do E-Sports Games Have to Be Toxic?

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuardian View Post
    I dunno how many other games have something as unique as pirate101 or wizard101 turn-based PvP system. I looked at some others (though not too many so I am still biased), and I think p101 has arguably the best turn-based combat in MMO's, and subsequently also has the best turn based PvP. But still, as others said, turn-based combat is quite a niche style of gaming combat. But still, I think KI has a competitive advantage in this. Whilst I know many people are not fans of KI going mobile, I think they should make a mobile PvP game and advertise it. The game MUST be an app for p101 or w101 PvP fights only, and perhaps some CPU practice PvE fights. This idea is very unclear atm for me, but you @Stephanie, you made me realize that p101 has excellent turn-based combat and that KI should perhaps focus on this.
    How do you think Ki could / should improve p101's turn-based combat?

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian (08-12-2018)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    How do you think Ki could / should improve p101's turn-based combat?
    I will reply to your question mainly under the lens of a PvE player, as I do not PvP. Currently, I think the turn-based combat in the game is excellent and upon this, the vast and varying gears, powers, spells, and companions one can choose further facilitate the strategic brilliance of the game. Combat is never repetitive, each fight is unique and interesting. Note many turn-based combat MMO's offer a similar experience. The thing that puts p101 above all these is the graphics and dynamic 3D fighting animation.

Yet there are still a lot of tough competitors, such as Atlas Reactor. These games have something brilliant p101 can add to the mix- a VERY dynamic battlefield. And this dynamic battlefield concept gives me some ideas p101 can add to turn-based combat:

1.) Power Ups, Fortresses, Switches ETC.

Pirate101 has these to an extent, such as fires and traps in broadside ship boarding combat, and banners. It could be better tho. Include powerup tiles, such as a health tile for example. If a pirate walks on this tile they get some health for example. The tile can only be used once, until another health tile pops up. Also, include fortresses- these are 3rd party CPU enemies or objects on the PvP or PvE field. If you destroy them, you can get a massive damage boost for example. But will you use your assassin strike on this heavily armed fortress, or on the enemy? What if the enemy destroys it before you do?? See... Much more strategy and thinking.

Also, include switches and stuff. Perhaps if you activate a switch, random walls or traps will appear in the dungeon, or perhaps a part of the dungeon would collapse etc.

ANd my favorite idea, a turret. Basically, a mast with a powerful cannon on top. Whoever gets it first can launch a powerful blast. Only accessible by players, NOT companions. There will be climbing animation showing pirates climbing to the top and accessing cannon. They can use cannon next go.

Add variety to this. Think. Be creative however u desire.

2.) Non-Planar, Non rectangular Battle Boards.

This is more aesthetic than anything else. Nearly all battle boards in the game are flat rectangles. That's pretty repetitive. What if we spice things up? Make bridges and stuff across two separate battlefields, kind of like broadside boarding ship PvE. Or perhaps add some portals, if a pirate enters a portal they go to another part of the battlefield that is inaccessible due to a gap. Also maybe add holes in the battlefield like in the Marie Celeste dungeon. There are so many creative designs one could come with, these are just some of them.

And it doesn't need to be flat as well. What if we could run upstairs in battle into a higher platform??? I would say there should be no fighting on stairs as this is hard to code, but stairs merely function as a bridge between two flat platforms of different height.

3.) Bigger Battlefields

None of the above two ideas would be possible on a small battlefield. Make things bigger, perhaps with a scroll or function so we can see left to right and all the parts of the battlefield.

This could also mean p101 could have a new type of pvp and pve- capture the flag mode... hmmmm....

Well these are just some ways to improve p101's turn-based combat system I think so at least.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

RealDux (08-12-2018),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-12-2018),Stephanie (08-12-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

@GoldenGuardian Those sound like very innovative and fun ideas! There's so much potential to be had with creating new, bigger, complex, and interactive battleboards that can effect the genuine humdrum of a basic board.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenGuardian View Post
    I will reply to your question mainly under the lens of a PvE player, as I do not PvP. Currently, I think the turn-based combat in the game is excellent and upon this, the vast and varying gears, powers, spells, and companions one can choose further facilitate the strategic brilliance of the game. Combat is never repetitive, each fight is unique and interesting. Note many turn-based combat MMO's offer a similar experience. The thing that puts p101 above all these is the graphics and dynamic 3D fighting animation. Yet there are still a lot of tough competitors, such as Atlas Reactor. These games have something brilliant p101 can add to the mix- a VERY dynamic battlefield. And this dynamic battlefield concept gives me some ideas p101 can add to turn-based combat: 1.) Power Ups, Fortresses, Switches ETC. Pirate101 has these to an extent, such as fires and traps in broadside ship boarding combat, and banners. It could be better tho. Include powerup tiles, such as a health tile for example. If a pirate walks on this tile they get some health for example. The tile can only be used once, until another health tile pops up. Also, include fortresses- these are 3rd party CPU enemies or objects on the PvP or PvE field. If you destroy them, you can get a massive damage boost for example. But will you use your assassin strike on this heavily armed fortress, or on the enemy? What if the enemy destroys it before you do?? See... Much more strategy and thinking.Also, include switches and stuff. Perhaps if you activate a switch, random walls or traps will appear in the dungeon, or perhaps a part of the dungeon would collapse etc. ANd my favorite idea, a turret. Basically, a mast with a powerful cannon on top. Whoever gets it first can launch a powerful blast. Only accessible by players, NOT companions. There will be climbing animation showing pirates climbing to the top and accessing cannon. They can use cannon next go. Add variety to this. Think. Be creative however u desire.2.) Non-Planar, Non rectangular Battle Boards. This is more aesthetic than anything else. Nearly all battle boards in the game are flat rectangles. That's pretty repetitive. What if we spice things up? Make bridges and stuff across two separate battlefields, kind of like broadside boarding ship PvE. Or perhaps add some portals, if a pirate enters a portal they go to another part of the battlefield that is inaccessible due to a gap. Also maybe add holes in the battlefield like in the Marie Celeste dungeon. There are so many creative designs one could come with, these are just some of them. And it doesn't need to be flat as well. What if we could run upstairs in battle into a higher platform??? I would say there should be no fighting on stairs as this is hard to code, but stairs merely function as a bridge between two flat platforms of different height.3.) Bigger Battlefields None of the above two ideas would be possible on a small battlefield. Make things bigger, perhaps with a scroll or function so we can see left to right and all the parts of the battlefield. This could also mean p101 could have a new type of pvp and pve- capture the flag mode... hmmmm....
    That is a way longer than I expected but a great answer. However there is a few things in your answer I wanted to weigh in on.1.I like the idea of switches activating random things on the battleboard, that could be very interesting. The question would be could you destroy the switch from a distance or with hide on and avoid the trap? Poor Buccaneers , they would have a huge disadvantage is this was the case.2. One problem I see with weird shaped battleboards is it could give some classes an advantage over others, likely Musketeer, Privateer, and Witchdoctor. The reason is because Buccaneers and Swashbucklers might not be able to charge unless Kingsisle adjusted combat so you could turn 3 or more times when charging.3. Bigger battlefields would also be an advantage for Musketeers, Privateers, and Witchdoctors. If Buccaneers and Swashbucklers couldn't charge in 2 turns they would probably not be able to win.In summary I fear your ideas would hurt Buccaneers in particular as well as Swashbucklers.

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

That is a way longer than I expected but a great answer. However there is a few things in your answer I wanted to weigh in on.1.I like the idea of switches activating random things on the battleboard, that could be very interesting. The question would be could you destroy the switch from a distance or with hide on and avoid the trap? Poor Buccaneers , they would have a huge disadvantage is this was the case.2. One problem I see with weird shaped battleboards is it could give some classes an advantage over others, likely Musketeer, Privateer, and Witchdoctor. The reason is because Buccaneers and Swashbucklers might not be able to charge unless Kingsisle adjusted combat so you could turn 3 or more times when charging.3. Bigger battlefields would also be an advantage for Musketeers, Privateers, and Witchdoctors. If Buccaneers and Swashbucklers couldn't charge in 2 turns they would probably not be able to win.In summary I fear your ideas would hurt Buccaneers in particular as well as Swashbucklers.
    Your point is very valid. We cannot just simply adapt to this new battle environment subject to old parameters and constraints. This is a dramatic change, and class powers and style of play would probably change a bit as well. In the end you yourself gave a solution, KI would have to make adjustments. There are many theoretical adjustments I can propose, but I won't as they would be very detailed and a reasonable summary of these ideas would probably be a few thousand words at a minimum. Furthermore, we would never truly see the imbalances in class power in the proposed dynamic battle board unless we see a real-life simulation of it, thus I think identifying, and even more so proposing solutions, are currently impractical.

In the end, I just wanted to make the arena more fun, interactive, engaging, and ultimately strategic. Combat would be epic

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

Rrrrzzzz419 (08-12-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Obstacles that block line of sight create potential for balancing combat between ranged and melee, if distance between them were to be an issue. A larger board does not necessarily have to mean that melee is at a disadvantage. In fact, with a bigger board, melee units could have more opportunity to run away if they're in danger, vs a smaller board where there can be no escape from a long line of sight. It would all depend on the surroundings more than the actual size of the board in most cases.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian (08-13-2018),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-12-2018),Stephanie (08-12-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12