•  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Re: Writing Advice

Thanks for all the stuff back, guys - never thought I'd get this much attention

So for my first plot it is NOT first person - after a critical event it has to turn to the character's own mind and their thoughts. For this, I'd probably just stick to that character, but also for a general question - how often should I alternate between chars in events?

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-14-2018),RealDux (08-14-2018)

sparticus32 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• sparticus32's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoos View Post

So for my first plot it is NOT first person - after a critical event it has to turn to the character's own mind and their thoughts. For this, I'd probably just stick to that character, but also for a general question - how often should I alternate between chars in events?
    It really depends on the situation, the less important the more you can focus on side characters. For example, the main characters loved one just died, that section should be mostly if not all about him, or the characters are eating breakfast, you can have more focus on the side characters but not to much as to not confuse the reader in who the main character is (if its not already established.)
    every person collects something be it stamps or rare books, I on the other hand collect golden chickens...and that my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. *cough* crazy person *cough*Credit to Doom-N-Gloomy for my amazing avatar

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparticus32 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-14-2018),monkeycrew (08-14-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoos View Post

You can alternate perspectives as much as you like, but try avoiding going from first to third person often, because it may be difficult to pull off with little experience. Shifting from character POV to narration can often be confusing and throw the reader off.

If you wish to utilize any first to third person narrative, have it flow naturally and make sense as to why this change in perspective is necessary. Below is an example of first person flowing to third narrative, while continuing the story and inputting even more information.

Example: "I had wondered where Amy had attained such a strange device, maybe she has had it with her the whole time? Who knows; the only way I'll know for sure is to ask from where she'd gotten it. I'll know by then for sure." What Gregory had missed is that the mysterious stranger from which he'd met in the streets had inclined to share something of importance with him, perhaps knowledge of what Amy carries, but he had previously declined all interactions with people in the city that he does not know.
    Last edited by RealDux; 08-14-2018 at 06:11 PM.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-14-2018),LuckyDuck (08-16-2018)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by RealDux View Post
    You can alternate perspectives as much as you like, but try avoiding going from first to third person often, because it may be difficult to pull off with little experience. Shifting from character POV to narration can often be confusing and throw the reader off.
    Ya, good point. I have seen in books that when any character is thinking in their head it's written in italics (ex. I wonder if this is right, he thought). Something like that, I would want to implement in something like, say, a dream and the character is talking to an unknown being or somethin. That's something I'd like to do n stuff.

Too much shifting, that I'd like to avoid so ya.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

8. The Following User Says Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-15-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

I would continue the "lessons" as I had originally planned, but seeing how disorganized all of my notes are, and that I cannot separate them into different categories effectively nor efficiently, and especially still pertaining to the fact that I have almost no knowledge of what you're trying to accomplish in your writing, there isn't much "by the book" example left for you to understand, either. The best writing comes from revision after revision after revision, and often times the first draft is overhauled into something completely different, nonetheless better than it was before.

If you're comfortable and willing, I could look over, review/edit, and suggest ideas on a copy of whatever you will share with me, whether it be a WIP or a complete first draft. From there, if you decide to accept my assistance, I can gladly delve into some more specifics along the way in hopes that you will transform into an experienced and knowledgeable writer; but first comes trial and error!

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-15-2018),monkeycrew (08-15-2018)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Quote Originally Posted by RealDux View Post
    I would continue the "lessons" as I had originally planned, but seeing how disorganized all of my notes are, and that I cannot separate them into different categories effectively nor efficiently, and especially still pertaining to the fact that I have almost no knowledge of what you're trying to accomplish in your writing, there isn't much "by the book" example left for you to understand, either. The best writing comes from revision after revision after revision, and often times the first draft is overhauled into something completely different, nonetheless better than it was before.

If you're comfortable and willing, I could look over, review/edit, and suggest ideas on a copy of whatever you will share with me, whether it be a WIP or a complete first draft. From there, if you decide to accept my assistance, I can gladly delve into some more specifics along the way in hopes that you will transform into an experienced and knowledgeable writer; but first comes trial and error!
    I'll definitely consider that.

Once I have something showable down, I'll make a Wattpad or somethin and post the link to it through here (if I can, I'm not really sure the rules on here will allow that)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-15-2018),RealDux (08-16-2018)

flash33 is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

As a writer of some fan-fictions myself, one thing I would say is to beware of Writer's Block, as this can easily halt any story you're trying to tell. If this happens then don't be afraid to ask for help in trying to decide what to write next. Ultimately it's your story, but if you can have someone help you get past Writer's Block in order for you to continue onwards then by all means seek them out.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flash33 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-16-2018),LuckyDuck (08-16-2018)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12