Thanks (Received)
    Gold

How to make Central less intimidating?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	currently active.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	74677

Why is it that so many people browse the threads on here, but so few people feel comfortable about joining and posting?
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-19-2018 at 01:55 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-19-2018),GoldenGuardian (08-20-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-19-2018),RealDux (08-20-2018),StormyMarcusParker (08-19-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: How to make Central less intimidating?

Well for me, I don't have anything to post or I don't have ideas to contribute on threads. This is one of the few that I do.

Who said this game was easy?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompanionMechanics For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-19-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-19-2018),Willowdreamer (08-19-2018)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Maybe they just don't want to. Not to be mean or anything, but that's like saying why are there so many views on a YouTube video but the people who viewed dont make an account

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-19-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-19-2018),RealDux (08-20-2018)

Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

ID:	74677Why is it that so many people browse the threads on here, but so few people feel comfortable about joining and posting?
    Are you saying that something about Central is intimidating and it is causing a lot of members to not post? I could think of a few things, but I have too many friends on here to let the few people I don't like get to me. Besides, the problems I have had in the past I have solved by doing what I feel is the right thing for the people who watch me play games. Sometimes you just have to fix the problem to yourself and prove to everyone that you can do it better, no one is perfect but there is always room for improvement at least in most cases.
    Last edited by Rrrrzzzz419; 08-20-2018 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Word not was missing, thank you Stephanie for catching that.

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-19-2018)

Stephanie is offline Rookie

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoos View Post
    Maybe they just don't want to.
    I'm just wondering why they don't want to, and if there's anything we can do as a community to make them feel more welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypoos View Post
    Not to be mean or anything, but that's like saying why are there so many views on a YouTube video but the people who viewed dont make an account
    Well, that's a valid question to ask. When you're a creator on YouTube you can view analytics to see when you're losing people's attention, and you can make guesses about how to engage them better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    Are you saying that something about Central is intimidating and it is causing a lot of members to post?
    Do you mean, causing a lot of members to not post?

I'm sorry I couldn't understand the rest of your post. I read it over a few times but don't get what you're trying to say.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-20-2018)

Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Do you mean, causing a lot of members to not post?

I'm sorry I couldn't understand the rest of your post. I read it over a few times but don't get what you're trying to say.
    Yes, thank you for catching my typo. I will go back and edit that, and give you credit for catching it. The rest of my post you wouldn't understand either because A. You aren't on the people I am referencing I don't like, B. You haven't read the times I have disagreed on Central that I felt I would have done it different, or C. Both A. and B. .

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

ID:	74677

Why is it that so many people browse the threads on here, but so few people feel comfortable about joining and posting?
    So in your photo, we have 8 members and 72 guests. Let's try and speculate who these guests are. I think they most likely are:

• Active Members who have no incentive to log on and reply/post at the moment, thus they function as a guest
    • Lurkers, who enjoy briefly reading other peoples thoughts and ideas, but due to time costs probably feel its fruitless to type anything (it can take a while to craft a response). Could be member or non-members
    • Idle guests, who left the tab open and haven't been bothered to close it. Probably focusing on something else like youtube

How do we get more people to join?

Well, you could tell people about central on p101 for a start. Tell them about contests or something, 10k crown prizes can lure people to make an account, then perhaps they will stick around and chat.

Or the game actually grows again, which as we know is virtually impossible under current constraints. A higher, active (and preferably paying) population base for p101 will indirectly and inevitably lead to greater involvement on both the main message boards and here on central. When player base population peaked, sometime near the genesis of the game, p101 involvement was also amazing. The message boards were absolutely legendary in 2012-2014, but when I rejoined sometime late 2016 it was quite... bland.

Other than that, things will likely remain the way it is. More and more people are getting inactive, even on central. Most new players are f2p trash talkers in Avery court. Only a few of us truly remain- and even then we are losing numbers.

It was not the armada that destroyed the spiral, it was the lack of updates <<<<<< New siggy??? I think so too
    Last edited by GoldenGuardian; 08-20-2018 at 03:17 AM.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-20-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-20-2018),Stephanie (08-20-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

I don't think that Central is intimidating these guests (or lurkers, as people like to call them), it's just human nature that many will observe while a few participate. They may be looking at Guides, or finding information about the game before trying it, or have some other reason to visit. Things have an ebb and flow to them, much like the tide, and we are in that slow time between KI Lives, where there isn't a lot being talked about.

KI Live will hopefully bring about a new discussion. An update, even more so.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-20-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),LuckyDuck (08-21-2018),Stephanie (08-20-2018)

Toa of Gallifrey is offline In the brig
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Fine

The number of 72 guests could be inflated though I don't doubt that people from the message boards occasionally browse central. I don't think central is intimidating, it's just pretty dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    Yes, thank you for catching my typo. I will go back and edit that, and give you credit for catching it. The rest of my post you wouldn't understand either because A. You aren't on the people I am referencing I don't like, B. You haven't read the times I have disagreed on Central that I felt I would have done it different, or C. Both A. and B. .

Last edited by Toa of Gallifrey; 08-20-2018 at 05:24 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Toa of Gallifrey For This Useful Post:

DarkFire054 (08-30-2018)

LuckyDuck is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bookworm

I used Central for years before actually creating an account. Just never felt the need to create one until I wanted to connect with fellow players one day.

I do admit I was afraid of posting for the first few weeks due to a cyber-bullied past, but it didn't take long to move past that. Central is pretty well moderated and there's not much to be afraid of.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LuckyDuck For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-21-2018),seaclaid (08-21-2018),Stephanie (08-23-2018),Willowdreamer (08-21-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast