PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Help! Can't pick a class.

Would any of you be so kind as to help me decide on a good class?

I'd just like, if possible, to have information on certain classes and how you've enjoyed them, what you didn't enjoy about them, etc.

I can't choose at all. My first ever character; bad name, ugly look, just not for me. For dress up and socializing purposes I created a SwashBuckler, but I'm not sure she's right for me. Nice name, good looks, but not for me class wise. I just don't enjoy what I've seen on YouTube. I've been doing some research and it seems like you spend a lot of the battle hiding, hoping the enemies don't hit you cause of low health and relying on dodges.

I want a school that gets right into battle and has high health and decent damage.

I'm thinking of Buccaneer but I'm not sure...please help!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seaclaid For This Useful Post:

FearlessGriffinD (08-21-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Help! Can't pick a class.

Quote Originally Posted by seaclaid View Post

I'd just like, if possible, to have information on certain classes and how you've enjoyed them, what you didn't enjoy about them, etc.

I can't choose at all. My first ever character; bad name, ugly look, just not for me. For dress up and socializing purposes I created a SwashBuckler, but I'm not sure she's right for me. Nice name, good looks, but not for me class wise. I just don't enjoy what I've seen on YouTube. I've been doing some research and it seems like you spend a lot of the battle hiding, hoping the enemies don't hit you cause of low health and relying on dodges.

I want a school that gets right into battle and has high health and decent damage.

Yep, you said it yourself, you probably want a Buccaneer. You want to run straight into battle, that is the class.

Good Luck!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),seaclaid (08-19-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

...Buccaneer...
    Well there you go. I just made you answer your own question. But if you want to get on the complex side... *cracks fingers* alright here we go:

Buccaneers are the fighter class. They limit on powers and focus mostly on epics. While other classes hit on their turn, Buccaneers can hit on the enemy's turn with Vengeance Strike + Blade Storm (+ Relentless). They lack defense against ranged units but, they make up by being able to hit/crit hard against them ( keep this in mind as a Musketeer's and Witchdoctor's weakness). Being able to counter/shield against melees and critical on the ranged, they are basically all set to fight. Not to mention you get Peter Quint, one of the best Buccaneer companions in the game. A downside is that they lack powers, which creates lack of uniqueness in certain cases. But that didn't stop them from being top tier pvp last time I checked (which was 3 months ago...)

Privateers are the support class. Whether buff, shield, or heal, they have it all. Their main focus is buffing, so they extremely lack offensive power (even investments would lead to mediocre offense). However, do not underestimate the power of a dedicated support. While other class spend only a round or two to support, privateers take the whole fight to heal, shield, buff, and strengthen their companions. Privateers also get Emmett, a very unique companion and practically the best companion in the game to debuff and heal (after promotion and with the right epics). They also have the most companions in the game.

Musketeers are the ranged class dedicated to doing damage to enemies before they could even lay a finger on them. With damaging bombs, high damage traps, and epics combo (Overwatch + Burst Fire + Double Tap), the enemy would be very weak before they get to you if not dead. However this strategy relies heavily on the enemy coming to you and vice versa fights are a problem. Not to mention if the enemy isn't damaged by the time the get to you, your options are limited because running away would just cause them to catch up to you. Still, Musketeers are quite a balance between epic and power. While a Buccaneer has high epics and low powers and Witchdoctors (originally) have low epics and high powers, Musketeers can potentially get high epics along with high damaging powers (*cough *cough* Old Scratch + Bombs).

While Swashbucklers seem like the glass-cannon class, they are more controlled offense. True, the companions are glass-cannons, but the character isn't. Swashbucklers can combo with {Hide + Critical buff + Poison (a DoT) + Assassin Strike} dealing up to 12x your weapon damage not including the 2 DoTs (Poisons and Bleeding). Swashbucklers are best at controlled solo (meaning solo by not having super high offense, I made up that term you probably shouldn't use it) with their Hides because it prevents your enemies from hitting you for up to 5 whole rounds, which means you can heal, shield, buff, Poison, let your companions do the work before you finish with a blow (assuming it is not Black Fog), or just run away for a bit before attacking again with 2x your weapon power, which stacks with powers! However, end game content has hide disrupts such as Scent (pet only) and First Strike 3 which can disrupt the natural flow of Swashbucklers and require a new strategy if you are not use to it. Since you are a Swashbuckler, most of your companions will be Swashbucklers and you will be going through the game feeling like a glass-cannon even though you aren't.

*WARNING: I seem to have a bad rep. when playing on my Witchdoctor and the section will be biased against them. Take this like a grain of salt.*
    Witchdoctors are the Mage class and have everything from buffs to debuffs to long ranged attacks to AoEs to summons and beyond. Their Juju allows them have a flexible companion set (not guarenteed to buff you friends' companions however). Summons are especially hard to pass up at endgame. And with a team of Old Scratches, Witchdoctors can do some pretty nasty damage. Having the highest spell power in the game, heals from secondary sources will be pretty strong. They could also potentially have the most epics in the game mixing in both Witchdoctor and Musketeer epics (it's hard though, but possible). While they seem like a good utility class, their debuffs stink. Their movement and spell power debuffs are situational and their critical debuff is not reliable (and it's hard to notice when it is). Raven's Cry is situational to counter rather than offensive buffing (now that I think about it, it's still pretty useful). They also get terrible companions. Even though (these) Witchdoctor companions get powers, their epics are mediocre giving them a bad rep after their powers are gone. While Kan Po is strong endgame, leveling with him is a pain because, again, glass-cannon.

I hope this information isn't too unorganized and hope this helped!
    Last edited by CompanionMechanics; 08-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Who said this game was easy?

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CompanionMechanics For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-30-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),luvs2sleepalot (08-21-2018),seaclaid (08-20-2018),Willowdreamer (08-20-2018)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Swashbuckler is a good class, I have the easiest time with it in terms of a melee strategy. I'd go with that because once you go through everything first with one, the other classes come more easily.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-30-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),seaclaid (08-20-2018),Willowdreamer (08-20-2018)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I made a rather detailed video guide a while back. But yes, it sounds like Buccaneer is the right class for you

Have fun piratin'!
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-30-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-20-2018),seaclaid (08-20-2018),Willowdreamer (08-20-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Join the musketeers.

We have cookies.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-30-2018),FearlessGriffinD (08-21-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-21-2018),monkeycrew (08-20-2018),seaclaid (08-21-2018),Stephanie (08-21-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

While buccaneer is a obvious choice. If you know that you want let say a melee witchdoctor you can accomplish the same goal. With the recent epic update any class can accomplish anything as long you prepare for it. Buccaneer can rush physical damage ememies but will suffer when rushing magic users as they have no resistance to them other then via buff. But Witchdoctor being on the other end can do the same magic users but will get destroyed by physical damage users. In higher worlds ememies have approach epics that will really punish you if you run into battle. In general it better to let enemies come to you in higher worlds like MB and especially by Valencia 2.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Starbreaker For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (08-30-2018),Crushcut (08-30-2018)