Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
  1. #11
    Khione's Avatar
       Khione is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

    • Khione's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Ruthless Jeremy Quincy
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  65
      •  Ship Type:
      •  None of yo buisness
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    895
    PvP Tournaments Won
    1
    Thanks
    287
    Thanks (Received)
    752
    Gold
    97
    Asleep

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I called you out for your meanness in this video, at about 4:18 To be fair though, that was when you were less mature. Your recent vids aren't as mean
    o_o but Nichols' comment "tell her to rub her face is pavement" was probably way worse than anything else I said that entire video lol. I think the worse thing I said there was about her gear lol. :thinking: I think a video response may be needed not because some of the things said in the video were wrong actually I liked the video a lot. But, I think the difference in examples were a little bit much. o . o that was borderline misogyny in that awesomethesauce video like what the.

    Lvl 65 Witchdoctor Sneaky Jeremy Silver l Musketeer Bloody Jeremy Everhart l SwashBuckler Jeremy Everhart
    Buccaneer Reckless Jeremy Quincy l Privateer ​John Walker






  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Khione For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-26-2018),Stephanie (08-25-2018)




  3. #12
    Stephanie's Avatar
       Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    345
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanks (Received)
    824
    Gold
    66

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Khione View Post
    o_o but Nichols' comment "tell her to rub her face is pavement" was probably way worse than anything else I said that entire video lol. I think the worse thing I said there was about her gear lol. :thinking: I think a video response may be needed not because some of the things said in the video were wrong actually I liked the video a lot. But, I think the difference in examples were a little bit much. o . o that was borderline misogyny in that awesomethesauce video like what the.
    Lol you said "It's a girl" and you were like "Good luck? I'm not saying good luck. What does she think this is, good sportsmanship?" And the part about pretending to sob like a stereotypical "hysterical" woman.

    I don't think it's the exact words that are said, but it's just the overall attitude of scorn due to the simple fact she's a girl. Immediately assuming someone is more emotional and less smart than you, just because of their gender, is part of misogyny. It's definitely not the worst example though, which is why I chose it; there are worse examples, from other pvp video-makers, that wouldn't be appropriate for children to watch.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-25-2018 at 10:53 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101



  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-26-2018),RealDux (08-25-2018)


  5. #13
    Logan's Avatar
       Logan is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    272
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    103
    Thanks (Received)
    592
    Gold
    2
    Tired

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Being "mean" Is something you cannot judge people for. His youtube channel, His videos. Youtube isn't a PG or family friendly community and the fact he plays Pirate101 won't change it. No one is nice in this world and it isn't all rainbows or people would go the way you like. So this alone was pointless. Specifically "calling him out". If he's being mean then don't watch his content. Otherwise people aren't going to change because you want everyone to be " Nice". Frankly, Or ideally. No one cares honestly. People will do whatever they want as long as they're in an open community like Youtube. Your argument/statement or whatever it is, Is false and i don't think this was worth to talk about since the topic has completely changed from what the OG post was referring to.
    Logan - Blade Dancer - Swashbuckler - PvP Champion - Pirate101 Articles and Guides Writer for Final Bastion



  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-26-2018)


  7. #14
    Willowdreamer's Avatar
       Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    21,096
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    7,752
    Thanks (Received)
    9,039
    Gold
    1,635
    Fine

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Being "mean" Is something you cannot judge people for. His youtube channel, His videos. Youtube isn't a PG or family friendly community and the fact he plays Pirate101 won't change it. No one is nice in this world and it isn't all rainbows or people would go the way you like. So this alone was pointless. Specifically "calling him out". If he's being mean then don't watch his content. Otherwise people aren't going to change because you want everyone to be " Nice". Frankly, Or ideally. No one cares honestly. People will do whatever they want as long as they're in an open community like Youtube. Your argument/statement or whatever it is, Is false and i don't think this was worth to talk about since the topic has completely changed from what the OG post was referring to.
    I disagree that being mean isn't something that one can judge another for -- we all make these type of judgments all the time, and you are judging each of us when you reply, either positively or negatively. I can certainly judge based on this thread that a narrator who is mean and -- jokingly or not -- demeaning to the opponent is someone I would never care to watch.

    The discussion isn't really off-topic, since the replies were implying that @Stephanie's commentary wasn't exciting enough.





  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

    LuckyDuck (08-27-2018),RealDux (08-26-2018),Stephanie (08-26-2018)


  9. #15
    Stephanie's Avatar
       Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    345
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanks (Received)
    824
    Gold
    66

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    @Logan I'm surprised to see so much anger in your comment. If it wasn't obvious from my posts, I actually have a lot of respect for Orange, and I enjoy watching his videos. People only bother to call out people that they think are worth the time and effort to call out. There are tons of mean people in the world, but I'm not wasting my valuable resources on just anyone.

    A callout isn't an attack. It's a sincere effort to open someone's eyes to a serious issue. I myself have been called out in the past, and while it didn't feel good, I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to learn about something that I just didn't know / wasn't aware was an issue.

    Anyway, you are right, this thread has veered somewhat off-topic. I just wanted to offer clarification on what I thought was a simple concept (toxicity). Turns out there are people who actually don't see the toxicity when I put an example right in front of them. So I guess I needed to... sharpen their eyesight a bit?

    I think it's a conversation that's important / worth having. If you don't feel comfortable continuing it here, we can take the rest of it to PM if you want.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-26-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101



  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

    Crushcut (08-26-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-26-2018),RealDux (08-26-2018)


  11. #16
    Rrrrzzzz419's Avatar
       Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    420
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    373
    Thanks (Received)
    596
    Gold
    113

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Being "mean" Is something you cannot judge people for. His youtube channel, His videos. Youtube isn't a PG or family friendly community and the fact he plays Pirate101 won't change it. No one is nice in this world and it isn't all rainbows or people would go the way you like. So this alone was pointless. Specifically "calling him out". If he's being mean then don't watch his content. Otherwise people aren't going to change because you want everyone to be " Nice". Frankly, Or ideally. No one cares honestly. People will do whatever they want as long as they're in an open community like Youtube. Your argument/statement or whatever it is, Is false and i don't think this was worth to talk about since the topic has completely changed from what the OG post was referring to.
    But there comes a point where a person can be too mean. I don't happen to watch the videos in question but if someone is being mean and is popular with a community of a family-friendly game it might could even hurt the game's "family-friendly" status. The good thing is there is a lot of nice people who play Pirate 101.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    @Logan I'm surprised to see so much anger in your comment. If it wasn't obvious from my posts, I actually have a lot of respect for Orange, and I enjoy watching his videos. People only bother to call out people that they think are worth the time and effort to call out. There are tons of mean people in the world, but I'm not wasting my valuable resources on just anyone.

    A callout isn't an attack. It's a sincere effort to open someone's eyes to a serious issue. I myself have been called out in the past, and while it didn't feel good, I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to learn about something that I just didn't know / wasn't aware was an issue.

    Anyway, you are right, this thread has veered somewhat off-topic. I just wanted to offer clarification on what I thought was a simple concept (toxicity). Turns out there are people who actually don't see the toxicity when I put an example right in front of them. So I guess I needed to... sharpen their eyesight a bit?

    I think it's a conversation that's important / worth having. If you don't feel comfortable continuing it here, we can take the rest of it to PM if you want.
    I agree Stephanie, and believe me there is a lot of things I don't agree with you on. If you felt he needed to be called out for being mean I commend you for having the courage to stand up for what you believe in. Sometimes it takes calling out a person (without saying anything not directly having to do with the problem) to bring about change. If the call out is uncalled for it has just has much chance as hurting you, so deciding to call out someone publically is a huge risk on your part as well. But sometimes no risk, no reward.

    Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.



  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-26-2018)


  13. #17
       Toa of Gallifrey is offline In the brig
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    633
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    590
    Thanks (Received)
    638
    Gold
    277
    Blog Entries
    1
    Fine

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Unabashed personas and spicy takes are appealing on the internet, especially YouTube. I enjoy youtubers like YMS and Digibro in large part because of their unforgiving honesty. Even more positive content creators I like such as Vargskelethor Joel and Cr1tikal are far from clean. It's no accident that personas like PewDiePie and Pyrocynical are among the higher echelon of popular content creators. YouTube drama is a thriving thing, and it's sometimes fabricated just for the sake of popularity. It's kayfabe, like professional wrestling. The only engaging youtuber I've found so far whose work is entirely PG is LEGO reviewer just2good, whose reviews and discussions, whether solo or with his friends, are fun yet still brutally honest when they need to, just clean enough to be family friendly. Clean, wholesome content has its niche, as Willowdreamer proves, but it is precisely that: a niche. I'm not siding with any of the concerned parties in this thread, I'm not nearly as into gaming commentary as I used to unless it's by a personality I follow, like YMS' Adum Plaze channel, but I think that a tough skin is to be expected when delving into youtube as a platform for entertainment.



  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toa of Gallifrey For This Useful Post:

    Crushcut (08-26-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (08-27-2018),Stephanie (08-27-2018)


  15. #18
    LuckyDuck's Avatar
       LuckyDuck is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    193
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    753
    Thanks (Received)
    303
    Gold
    190
    Bookworm

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Nice video. I really appreciate the lack of curse words. Also, thanks for explaining your motives for the choices you made in battle.

    If I may suggest something: do you think you could make videos about PVP tips for each class? You always seem to excel at PVP and it might interest others (myself included) to learn what you've picked up along the way. Just a thought





  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckyDuck For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-27-2018),Stephanie (08-27-2018)


  17. #19
    Stephanie's Avatar
       Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

    • Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  70
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    345
    PvP Tournaments Won
    0
    Thanks
    1,211
    Thanks (Received)
    824
    Gold
    66

    Re: PVP with Commentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Toa of Gallifrey View Post
    Unabashed personas and spicy takes are appealing on the internet, especially YouTube. I enjoy youtubers like YMS and Digibro in large part because of their unforgiving honesty. Even more positive content creators I like such as Vargskelethor Joel and Cr1tikal are far from clean. It's no accident that personas like PewDiePie and Pyrocynical are among the higher echelon of popular content creators. YouTube drama is a thriving thing, and it's sometimes fabricated just for the sake of popularity. It's kayfabe, like professional wrestling. The only engaging youtuber I've found so far whose work is entirely PG is LEGO reviewer just2good, whose reviews and discussions, whether solo or with his friends, are fun yet still brutally honest when they need to, just clean enough to be family friendly. Clean, wholesome content has its niche, as Willowdreamer proves, but it is precisely that: a niche. I'm not siding with any of the concerned parties in this thread, I'm not nearly as into gaming commentary as I used to unless it's by a personality I follow, like YMS' Adum Plaze channel, but I think that a tough skin is to be expected when delving into youtube as a platform for entertainment.
    Yeah, there are always gray areas when it comes to spicy commentary. I've recently started following a Canadian YT personality called DangerouslyFunny. He usually does Stardew Valley videos. I found him when Blaze Lifehammer and Tara Dawnbreaker made some Stardew videos and his work popped up in the recommended. Most of his jokes involve bashing the NPCs in the game, which is fine because they aren't real people. One time he made jokes about an NPC's gender presentation though, and that vid got a lot of dislikes. Some of the responders were like, chill, it's not a real person he's bashing. But the people who felt the joke went too far explained that that kind of verbal abuse is something that's suffered on a routine basis by real people, so it wasn't okay.

    Anyway, I'm following DF's work to try and understand what kinds of jokes are okay and what are not okay. I have an instinctive sense of where the line is, but I understand it's different for everyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
    Nice video. I really appreciate the lack of curse words. Also, thanks for explaining your motives for the choices you made in battle.

    If I may suggest something: do you think you could make videos about PVP tips for each class? You always seem to excel at PVP and it might interest others (myself included) to learn what you've picked up along the way. Just a thought
    Thanks Ben! Yes, I do plan to make a tutorial series called "Pirate101 Combat for Noobs." :P It's still in the works though.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-27-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101



  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

    HelpfulAuroraParker (08-27-2018)


Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •