•  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: PvP Rule Discussion Thread

(post deleted)
    Last edited by Stephanie; 09-29-2018 at 08:38 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Re: the Goro and Nausica thing, since it was my suggestion I'd like to clarify that I'm suggesting a rule phrased like this:

Goro and Nausica may only be used if both sides agree to use them.

Reason why I suggested this is because if one side has a longer charging range than the other, it gives them an unfair advantage in terms of positioning. i.e. They can run out buffs, have more offensive opportunities, and so on. If both sides have an equal charging range then it is not an issue.

It is just a suggestion though and the community can vote on it.

I also think that we need to reach out to more people in general, whether it's designing rules or announcing tournaments. I often hear people say that they just aren't aware of any tournaments going on, even though they are very interested in participating. It seems that the signup window is very short / not well-advertised, and it slips by before most people are even aware that there is a tournament open.
    This is a very dangerous line of thinking that leads to places both you and I do not want it to go. Is it unfair if a buck uses pete, barnabus, and goro? They have a combined longer charging range than almost every other team compilation in the game, so they'd definitely have an "unfair advantage" according to your logic. What about highland? Is that fair? It gives unparalleled charging ability for a round and no positioning can stop someone enemy unit from reaching someone on your team. Are witchdoctor's increased movement buffs unfair? By this line of thinking, one could easily conclude that.

Now, I presume you are referring to the goro/fan/nausica team on swashbucklers, particularly facing it in buckler mirrors. You are correct, it's an incredibly strong team, and it takes legitimate skill to beat. That being said, nothing about it is unfair. You might not be able to take full advantage of the offensive side of your fog, but you will be able to have full access to an accuracy/dodge buff over your opponent. That is the key to competing with that team. The normal playstyle doesn't work effectively against the goro/fan/nausica team. One must adapt.
    Last edited by Mathew; 09-29-2018 at 03:50 PM.

CunningJustinSilver is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

I’d like to add that belittling someone is unsportsmanlike, no matter the situation. Let’s all try to keep that in mind.

As for what Stephanie mentioned about Goronado and Nausica’s range advantage, a better solution would be to disallow Nausica’s charge when paired with Goronado. This way, Nausica retains her full strength without Goronado while also forcing a handicap on players who decide to use both companions together in what could possibly be an unfair advantage towards players who are unable to purchase Goronado and Nausica together.
    Last edited by Celestialmoon; 09-29-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Removed deleted content

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CunningJustinSilver For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (09-29-2018),Stephanie (09-29-2018)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    The normal playstyle doesn't work effectively against the goro/fan/nausica team. One must adapt.
    I think it really comes down to how accessible / welcoming we want Central PVP to be. Right now, from my experience playing and speaking with other avid PVPers in the game, many of them are not on Central or don't feel welcome here because Central looks, to them, like a snobby place with (to put it bluntly) a US$40 membership fee. It's a real shame because ranked pvp already costs money. So what's left is the sparring hall, and Central in my opinion offers the best sparring opportunities out there.

The way I've worded the suggested rule:

Goro and Nausica may only be used if both sides agree to use them.

This shouldn't be a problem if both you and your opponent have the companions. So you can continue running your strategy against other seasoned players. I just want new players to have more of a chance. (And I'm not just talking about myself.)

Quote Originally Posted by CunningJustinSilver View Post
    As for what Stephanie mentioned about Goronado and Nausica’s range advantage, a better solution would be to disallow Nausica’s charge when paired with Goronado. This way, Nausica retains her full strength without Goronado while also forcing a handicap on players who decide to use both companions together in what could possibly be an unfair advantage towards players who are unable to purchase Goronado and Nausica together.
    This is an alternative I'm willing to consider as well.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 09-29-2018 at 08:43 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

RealDux (10-01-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky
    Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Um. Why are Goro and Nausica involved in that list?? The companions mixture is not broken or unbalanced for Swashbucklers. Both are completely balanced and last i checked they don't have any broken powers

If anything, This needs to be scrapped off the bans list.
    As I have already stated, I will not discriminate any player's input towards the voting process. This needs to be fair and open for everyone and not cut off and secluded to the ideas of some individuals. This is a community discussion, and everyone's thoughts should be respected.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPikmin View Post
    That does bring up a point regarding the voting. How is participation in the vote chosen?

Is it based off of commenting here, commenting on a later thread, or tournament participation in the last few events? There may be a few people who participate in the tournaments/ladder but don't browse the forums or didn't comment on this thread. I think it would be a good idea to invite them as well otherwise participation may drop more if something unusual slips through.
    I figured I would leave it completely open to anyone interested in the process. I was even planning on having this announced on twitter and having something posted on the front page news about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordroll View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you'll structure it, but I would definitely say items like Goro and Nausica should be voted on separately. One unit is normally powered and has charge. One unit is a paid bundle option with movement range as high as many pirates with a wild number of epics and power cards posing a specific and longstanding problem... and has a charge.
    Good points with doubloons and DM. However, the player that mentioned the two companions made a case of disallowing the use the two in combination of one another. That is why I placed them together. Many players have already spoken up about not being in favor of such a rule, but I still believe since it is someone's concern and this is a community effort, then her concern should be addressed as any others have.
    Last edited by Celestialmoon; 09-29-2018 at 08:20 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celestialmoon For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (09-30-2018),CunningJustinSilver (09-29-2018),NinjaPikmin (09-29-2018),Stephanie (09-29-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

So now that it's confirmed voting will be public, can we please not have legalizing doubloons be on the list of things to vote for? This is the internet, and trolls exist. I'd hate to have doubloons be legal because a group of people decided to troll us.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

BiG BaD WoLFY (09-30-2018),Celestialmoon (09-29-2018),Stephanie (09-29-2018)

NinjaPikmin is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• NinjaPikmin's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Nimble Nicholas Newton
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Quest Mooshu Ship
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

In the final voting thread, I don't see mention of unbanning Scratch's 50% Mojo buff for Witchdoctors only. I believe a few people in this thread expressed that this should be a possible voting topic along with an outright unban and a continued ban.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NinjaPikmin For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (09-30-2018),Stephanie (09-30-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPikmin View Post
    In the final voting thread, I don't see mention of unbanning Scratch's 50% Mojo buff for Witchdoctors only. I believe a few people in this thread expressed that this should be a possible voting topic along with an outright unban and a continued ban.
    You are correct, and as I'm going through some votes already submitted, I see I did accidentally leave that off and was about to edit it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Celestialmoon For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (09-30-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky

Please do not submit your voting results here. Private message them to me.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567