•  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Re: PvP Rule Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Swordroll View Post
    The discussion on banning Overwatch 5 surprises me. Being a ranged class is such a disadvantage once an enemy has reached you, and right now, that can happen in a matter of one or two turns. Overwatch 5 helps address that.
    It's wild to me to think that Musketeers and other classes in particular have been told to construct a barricade, hide behind it in a particular order, and use a unit almost exclusively for tanking the outer spot just to counter Fog and hidden units. That's incredibly specific!
    Overwatch 5 is countered by dodge, use of obstacles, placement of units, any hidden power which is available to every class and a number of companions, and that's just a start. So others are supposedly to have this ready-to-go game plan of hiding in the corner to have a chance of surviving massive damage from hidden units but despite a million and one counters to Overwatch 5 - get rid of it?
    The sad part to me is that once it's put to a vote and 4 out of 5 players are non-Musketeers
    Yep, even with Overwatch 5 it's as easy as moving your pirate into range so as to block it and utilize another companion or three. Musketeer had zero leverage against melee classes before this.
    Anyway, I have a question on Doom Mojo. There's some potential there for wildly powerful attacks and such when Scratch gets powered up (even though I think only the smallest buff is allowed right now), but it hits the whole board equally - allies and enemies alike. Is there something I'm missing that makes this broken or unfair to one side other than in situational instances that could go either way?

It's not always to the caliber you see in the video, but it still has the potential to deal massive damage to select units.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

Logan is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

Quote Originally Posted by RealDux View Post
    Yep, even with Overwatch 5 it's as easy as moving your pirate into range so as to block it and utilize another companion or three. Musketeer had zero leverage against melee classes before this.

It's not always to the caliber you see in the video, but it still has the potential to deal massive damage to select units.
    Excuse me? Your statement is so ridiculous and it's time to get out of silence again.

Musketeers ALWAYS had advantage against Melees ever since the game launched
    Musketeers are one of the hardest matchups vs Melees as of 2012 until today
    Musketeers have bombs and traps that are terribly annoying and easy to eliminate targets
    Musketeers have advantages from Old Scratch's Spell power buffs for their bombs and traps and now purge
    Musketeer is the onlt class that didn't fail ever to defeat melees and did not get hurt with all these game changes like Witchdoctors have gotten hurt from the 2014 updates
    Musketeers were always able to defeat melees even before overwatch 5 was out

Summary: Muskets were always in a stand of power in pvp and pve without overwatch 5. Overwatch 5 if anything was pointless and if you're a good player you'll beat anyone without cheese. Including Overwatch 5 and Old Scratch. And there is indeed many good muskets that are able to win without any of these.
    Logan - Blade Dancer - Swashbuckler - PvP Champion - Pirate101 Articles and Guides Writer for Final Bastion

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Logan For This Useful Post:

ToonTown565 (09-13-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

@Logan as a swashbuckler I think you would know better, possessing plenty of abilities/talents specifically designed to surpass a musketeer's defenses. On average you receive 75% less damage from ALL traps (sometimes no damage whatsoever). I'm surprised to learn that taking 0-200 damage from a trap annoys you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    Musketeers have bombs and traps that are terribly annoying and easy to eliminate targets
    I don't see how this could agitate you, all swashbuckler pirates and companions have Alert 1-2.

Muskets were always in a stand of power in pvp and pve without overwatch 5.
    Musketeer has never been a popular PVP class because it's conventional style and gear isn't very practical. There are things that will always put them in a bad spot, Nausica being a primary example.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

Khione is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Khione's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Ruthless Jeremy Quincy
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  None of yo buisness
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Asleep

Excuse me? Your statement is so ridiculous and it's time to get out of silence again.

Musketeers ALWAYS had advantage against Melees ever since the game launched
    Musketeers are one of the hardest matchups vs Melees as of 2012 until today
    Musketeers have advantages from Old Scratch's Spell power buffs for their bombs and traps and now purge
    Musketeer is the onlt class that didn't fail ever to defeat melees and did not get hurt with all these game changes like Witchdoctors have gotten hurt from the 2014 updates
    Musketeers were always able to defeat melees even before overwatch 5 was out

Summary: Muskets were always in a stand of power in pvp and pve without overwatch 5. Overwatch 5 if anything was pointless and if you're a good player you'll beat anyone without cheese. Including Overwatch 5 and Old Scratch. And there is indeed many good muskets that are able to win without any of these.
    @Logan as a swashbuckler I think you would know better, possessing plenty of abilities/talents specifically designed to surpass a musketeer's defenses. On average you receive 75% less damage from ALL traps (sometimes no damage whatsoever). I'm surprised to learn that taking 0-200 damage from a trap annoys you so much.

I don't see how this could agitate you, all swashbuckler pirates and companions have Alert 1-2.

Musketeer has never been a popular PVP class because it's conventional style and gear isn't very practical. There are things that will always put them in a bad spot, Nausica being a primary example.
    I think musketeer is underpowered and we should ban Summons and Relentless. OV5 should be banned. Actually lets ban black fog while we're at it. Oh and let us allow fall weapons.

Opinions boys?
    Name:  giphy.gif
Views: 95
Size:  482.2 KB

Lvl 65 Witchdoctor Sneaky Jeremy Silver l Musketeer Bloody Jeremy Everhart l SwashBuckler Jeremy Everhart
    Buccaneer Reckless Jeremy Quincy l Privateer ​John Walker

BiG BaD WoLFY is offline Rookie

• BiG BaD WoLFY's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Noble Wolf Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cynical

You're talking as if he is looking at things from one angle, that's not how you should analyze his comments. I too am a swashbuckler main, but I play more than one class and am conscious of how other classes are affected by certain things. You should do the same.

Musketeer, while not the most popular class, is actually a very decent class for pvp. Different doesn't mean not practical. Yes, Nausica severely hurts the class, but there are ways to deal with her, Exeter (w/slows and damage reduce) and Contessa (w/her Gallant defense) namely.

That said, overwatch 5, while manageable early game, completely shuts down melee classes late game when they're out of hides. All a musket needs to do is survive that long and it's smooth sailing for them since overwatch rarely misses, even vs bucklers in elusive. It doesn't belong in a competitive pvp environment.

-Noble Wolf Hawkins- *PvP Champion*
    | Max -Swashbuckler-| Max Musketeer |
    |
    Max Privateer | Max Buccaneer |

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BiG BaD WoLFY For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (09-14-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky

Hey guys...

Just a note: I’m not going to allow new game content in the tournament that is already underway. The ladders are a different thing. Hopefully, we will have everything in order with votes and such before a new tour is opened.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Celestialmoon For This Useful Post:

BiG BaD WoLFY (09-14-2018),Logan (09-14-2018),Mathew (09-14-2018),Stephanie (09-14-2018)

Logan is offline Rookie
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

Do you even know the game's mechanics or how they work?

Swashbuckler companions have access to Alert 1 only

Swashbuckler Pirates have access to Alert 2 which is a 50% chance to take less to no damage

And even if so, The bombs are still dealing huge damage enough to get a companion from 100% to less than 40% Health and landing bombs on a swashbuckler pirate hurts a lot specially with Old Scratch's buffs. and Alert 2 isn't even OP to the way you think it is. It works the same way as Alert 1 with a chance to take no damage from a trap which isn't guaranteed. Nausica can be halted by Ratbeard and or Contessa and Exeter. she won't live to see another round if you're a good musketeer. So please don't try to justify and convince me that the class is horrible with no advantages. Get good in PvP and you'll see that it actually is in a position of power. Oh and keep in mind. I don't play 1 class. You made this look biased on my class which isn't true.
    Last edited by Logan; 09-14-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    Logan - Blade Dancer - Swashbuckler - PvP Champion - Pirate101 Articles and Guides Writer for Final Bastion

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Guys, just a reminder:

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialmoon View Post
    Let's please keep everything friendly!?!

Our community is small enough as it is. There is no reason to alienate anyone by saying they're not good, rely on cheese, etc.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (09-14-2018),RealDux (09-26-2018)

Swordroll is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

The idea that Overwatch 5 "completely shuts down" melee units in the late game is hardly accurate. First, it presumes that the beginning and middle of a match play out a particular way. We know that pirates are the queens of this chess game and the idea that they're just left alone or that all matches end up in a queen v. queen scenario isn't true. If a Swashbuckler (or any melee unit) has Elusive 3, you're looking at 2x their dodge, which is already higher than a standard Musk's accuracy. Musketeers don't get accuracy boosts as their health goes down.

Up to this point, in the scenario discussed, a 1v1 with a melee and ranged unit, the melee unit was heavily favored - and that's the way the game was designed. Now this gives ranged units a fighting chance and 3 out of 5 classes just don't want to deal with that, so of course it'll be voted on and banned. Ranged classes will always be in the minority.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Swordroll For This Useful Post:

RealDux (09-26-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

The idea that Overwatch 5 "completely shuts down" melee units in the late game is hardly accurate. First, it presumes that the beginning and middle of a match play out a particular way. We know that pirates are the queens of this chess game and the idea that they're just left alone or that all matches end up in a queen v. queen scenario isn't true. If a Swashbuckler (or any melee unit) has Elusive 3, you're looking at 2x their dodge, which is already higher than a standard Musk's accuracy. Musketeers don't get accuracy boosts as their health goes down.

Up to this point, in the scenario discussed, a 1v1 with a melee and ranged unit, the melee unit was heavily favored - and that's the way the game was designed. Now this gives ranged units a fighting chance and 3 out of 5 classes just don't want to deal with that, so of course it'll be voted on and banned. Ranged classes will always be in the minority.
    It's entirely accurate. Any match against 2 players that have any sort of skill will end up pirate vs pirate barring any crazy rng or misplays. That is a basic law of pirate pvp. Matches that don't end up pirate vs pirate, as a rule, were not between evenly skilled players or had a factor I mentioned before. As someone who has done pvp against the game's top players, and someone who has watched just as many, a match between skilled players should always go down to pirate vs pirate.

In addition, your mechanical knowledge of this game is flawed, or is not based on actual experience in pvp. For starters, elusive 3 gives 50% more dodge, not 2x (100%). This means a standard buckler set has around 240 dodge. A normal musket overwatch 5 set has around 210 accuracy. Now let's assume overwatch 5 has the standard 75% chance to land a hit (as I mentioned in my last post, it does not. Low damage epics, like repel, ow, and readied, have a higher chance to land. In addition, all musket epics have a higher chance to land than both their ranged and melee counterparts. This is evidenced by the fact that a hybrid buck or buckler, with relent 2 and burst 2, will land their burst fires significantly more often than their relentlesses). Assuming that 75% figure, your chance to hit me would be 45%. Speaking from experience, the actual frequency that overwatch 5 lands through elusive is about 90% or more.

Finally, the assertion that without ow5 a musket is heavily disadvantaged in the pirate vs pirate fights is absolutely ridiculous. Musket has the second best chaining potential in the game (behind buck) with overwatch 3, double tap 3, and burst fire 2 all being staples. Again, assuming there are no hides remaining for the melee player, every time they want to go attack the musket, they have to risk overwatch chains that are as strong as a buck's chains (that occur at a high frequency, since musket trains 3 agility buffs). They also can hold on to their sniper shots, super strikes, and haywire shots to chain on the offensive (not to mention the fact they have a massive amount of trick shots that hit like a truck).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

BiG BaD WoLFY (09-14-2018)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast