Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cheeky

Pirate101 Central's Spooky Short Story Contest

Argh!! It is time to sail the skies of the great Spiral and share spooky tales that will have ye shakin' in yer boots!

'Tis time
    fer another short story contest, mateys, but there are rules ye must follow if ye want to score some loot fer ye efforts.

Rules
    • Only one entry per person allowed.
    • You may not edit your post except to fix formatting or grammatical errors.
    • This contest is meant to be fun and full of fanciful tales, so you must have fun!
    • BIG RULE: Each story must be a story related to something spooky, terrifying or things you may associate with Halloween.
    • Please keep your entry a reasonable length. Try not to go over 600 words. If you do, you will not be penalized for it.
    • This contest will run through October 13th, ending at 11:59 pm central time. Entries after this date will not be counted.
    • The top 4 stories will win great rewards!

Loot (in no particular order)
    • Crowns
    • Hoodoo Bundle
    • Packs
    • Elixirs
    • Pets
    • Companions

I wish everyone the best of luck and look forward to getting October started off the right way with loads of spooky tales!

Last edited by Celestialmoon; 10-05-2018 at 09:05 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Celestialmoon For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-08-2018),CrispyWyvern (10-07-2018),doomrocks1 (10-11-2018),GoldenGuardian (10-06-2018),helena (10-09-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-07-2018),insurgent8 (10-06-2018),Kinsola2000 (10-15-2018),LuckyDuck (10-06-2018),RealDux (10-06-2018),Stephanie (10-05-2018)

Avery Court Grace is offline Boatswain
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Woot

Re: Pirate101 Central's Spooky Short Story Contest

A Sweet Delivery
    It was Halloween night and Captain Grace received a letter to from the commodore. The letter read: Please take a couple crew members and pick up the yum yum candies from the Marleybone embassy in Mooshu and deliver it to the kids of the orphanage in Marleybone.

Grace looked around and saw that Bosun Budd and Scratch were not doing anything, so she recruited them for the mission.

When they got to the mooshu embassy the guards looked amused and complimented Scratch and Bosun Budd on their costumes. The two pirates looked at each other and with confusion shrugged their shoulders. All went well in Mooshu and the yum yum candy was loaded onto the ship in a box.

As the ship approached the Marleybone windgate entrance an explosion from two ships fighting shook Grace's ship and the box of candy fell over the side. Scratch and Bosun Budd quickly took off their hats and collected all the candy. They continued to the orphanage.

When they got there the knocked on the door holding their hats full of candy. The lady that runs the orphanage answered the door, “Wow I really like your costumes. Very detailed drowned zombie and hoodoo skeleton master, but aren't you a little old to be trick or treating?”

An embarrassed Scratch exclaimed, “Oh no! we we're meaning to bring a treat to the kids but it seems we brought more of a trick. The candy is for the kids.”

The lady smiled and called for the kids. Each of them lined up dressed in their simple costumes and Scratch and Budd handed out candy to each one. The final kid was very happy with the big piece of candy Bosun Budd handed him and said,”Your costume is great! You went all the way even with the smell. Happy Halloween!”

HAPPY HALLOWEEN

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Avery Court Grace For This Useful Post:

doomrocks1 (10-11-2018),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-07-2018),samisanz (10-18-2018),sparticus32 (10-11-2018),Stephanie (10-06-2018)

sparticus32 is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• sparticus32's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Beyond the sign of no return where the darkness grows and the monsters dwell, there lies a pit surrounded by blood red vines. In this pit for those brave enough to enter are swallowed by a void, a eternal feeling of darkness and despair. For those foolish or unlucky enough to venture past the void there is a cavern at the bottom of the pit now long gone. In this cavern there is nothing but an old door. This door creaks when touched, its black, rotting, worm infested wood is spongey to the touch. This door requires no key, for all can enter. Beyond the decrepit door is nothing personified. A pure ebony in which the only sounds that can be heard are those of silence. Slowly as one would approach the center, the snaps and crackling of old bones of people long forgotten would fill the air. All there is to this room is a monster and a chest. The monster, while different for all yet similar for some holds the key to whatever lies inside. Kings and peasants alike have fought this monster, yet few survived. Its swirling dark body, as if made of smoke, its glowing red eyes and its sharp silver claws light the air as you have no choice but to take the full front of its blows. After it retreats and leaves you the key you open the chest only to find the void which was once staring back close its eyes. You leave the pit only too see a large red rock slowly drip ooze as it moves and makes a thump thump sound. You then open your eyes, and leave for work, having conquered fear itself. What you saw as you slept was your heart, once again alive. In the pit that monster was your fears and only by facing it did you conquer it. However fear is a natural emotion, and that monster may strike back...
    every person collects something be it stamps or rare books, I on the other hand collect golden chickens... and that my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. *cough* crazy person *cough*

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sparticus32 For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-08-2018)

samisanz is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• samisanz's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Earnest Agnes Eastwick
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Pirate Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Thanks for Contest!

THE MOON RAY.

A long time ago there was a fishing village that lived very close to the sea. They were like a big family since they were always willing to help each other. On nights when there was a full moon, they would gather on the beach, make a bonfire and sit around her to chat while the children played.

One of those nights, just on October 31, the full moon was more beautiful and bright than ever. The rays of moonlight fell on the sea and formed a silver path through which it seemed that one could walk. Everyone was impressed talking about that when suddenly they began to see that from the darkness strange beings were coming towards them on that silver road.

At first they thought they were aliens coming from the moon, but having them closer they realized that they were monsters that came from the darkness.

"Help! Let's run! "Everyone ran to their homes with their children, but the moon felt guilty for having created the path of silver, so, with one of its rays, he called a child and told him that these beings, although scared , they were only bitter and that the remedy so that they were not so bad was to defeat that bitterness with sweetness.

The boy ran and told his friends the secret that the moon had shared and everyone took baskets full of sweets to give them to those horrible beings. When the monsters ate the treats, they became very sweet and returned along the silver path, losing themselves again in the dark. But the effect of the candy lasts just one year, so every October 31 the monsters return to earth to give them their new ration of sweets and you must decide if there is trick or treat and remember the secret of the moon that maintains that bitterness is overcome with sweetness.

THE END.

Jack: Drag what you see and generous do not be

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to samisanz For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-08-2018),Stephanie (10-10-2018)

RealDux is offline Rookie

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

The Scare Witch Project

On a rainy and thundery day, the crew of the ship Black Fox set out on a pirating expedition to an unmarked location in Darkmoor. For months they were never heard from again. The survivors of this journey recall their experiences.

"Captain, something be very wrong here, the spirits are restless". Old Scratch could feel the undead beginning to stir from Skull Island to as far as Valencia, and everywhere in between. "Powerful mojo is at work, and it surges through the spiral, we must find it's source!".

The captain has heard this from Old Scratch before, and chose to dismiss it over. "I think there's a perfectly tangible reason for feeling this way, after a long time from home sweet Hoodoo House.

"But captain, There's-"

"Have you ever heard of something called Halloween?"

"No, captain."

"That does explain a lot, how long have you been dead, son?"

"Feels like an eternity."

"Come back to me in my quarters if things escalate. I will not allow a direct course to Darkmoor".

The door to the captain's quarters slammed open, prompty followed by clashes of thunder that shook it's foundations. Bonnie Anne entered the room. "Captain, we're receiving word that the undead are rising everywhere!".

"Set a direct course to Darkmoor".

"Visions of a powerful being haunt me, and I fear it may be the end of all things if we don't do something soon." Old Scratch said.

The Black Fox makes it's way to Darkmoor, unwary of it's fate. The captain and crew step out onto the vile grounds of what is considered the Darkmoor docks.

Old Scratch warned the captain. "Beware my captain, the powerful source of mojo be getting stronger. The dead surround us." The living dead were indeed everywhere, crawling, walking, limping, and standing about.
    "I can set them to rest again, leave it to me captain." Old Scratch waves his wand. "I command the dead here to sleep once more!" Every zombie, skeleton, and ghost went back to their graves and lay where they have awoken.

"So, Old Scratch," started the captain, "What was the powerful being you had visions of in this place?"

Not sure, captain, I an' I think he said his name was Old Corn on the Cob, something like that".

Ratbeard stepped forward. "Well he doesn't seem scary at all, whoever that is".

"Sounds delicious", Bonnie Anne added.

Suddenly, another figure appears.
    "Look out captain! Prepare yourself, for mighty mojo indeed surrounds this being". A ghastly menacing shadow cast on the side of their ship approaches. Spooky mumbling and groaning could be heard, followed by heavy footsteps. Swords drawn and guns pointed, they were ready for whatever was going to happen.

A masked platypus appears. "Mormo could have done that".

Dangit Mormo, you scared them all!
    Last edited by RealDux; 10-08-2018 at 04:20 AM. Reason: grammatical error, wording error, and italic fix

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-08-2018)

Phenoixblizzard is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bored

All the party goers were dressed in various costumes ranging from mummies to witches and even outfits from other worlds that could fit a costume look they wanted. The training hall had been temporarily transformed into a giant party hall in celebration of Halloween. Even the buffet tables had been decorated with traditional decorations, including large pumpkins carved with a Darkmoor theme on them sat glowing on the tables. Some of the members were playing music as people danced nearby.

"Why didn't anyone tell me that you guys threw such awesome parties?" Dark Aurora asked, dressed in a simple Mooshu ninja outfit dyed black and blue.

"Probably because I never thought to," Wolf said, grinning.

Rolling her eyes, she said, "Bet you forgot about it." Eying his thrown together Armada costume, she added, "I wonder if you could fool the Armada dressed like that."

Wolf laughed at that. She wasn't wrong that he forgot to tell her.

"By the way, where's Melody? I thought she wanted to show off her costume?" Aurora asked as she looked for the white haired girl.

"You know how she is. Honestly, she's probably already here and just blending in with the crowd with no one the wiser. She's pretty scary like that."

All of a sudden, the candles went out, leaving the training hall pitch black. There were murmurs of confusion from the crowd as someone shouted for everyone to stay where they were until some candles were lit. An eerie laugh echoed around the room.

"What was that?!" Someone asked, scared.

"Who's there?" Another demanded.

As if on cue, the candles flickered to life. In the middle of the room stood a girl. No, not a girl, but a banshee with pale gray skin, wide black eyes, and an impossibly wide open mouth. Her floor length white dress was torn and tattered. The banshee continued giggling, causing a few nearby people to take a few steps back.

"Stay back, banshee. I don't know who summoned you here, but you better return back to where you came from," a witchdoctor, Abe Alcott from the sound of it, challenged.

The banshee tilted her head. A shriek came from behind the crowd, terrifying everyone and causing them to flee. A minute later, Felix Everhart walked down the stairs with a large basket of candy.

"What was all that ruckus, and where'd everyone go?" He asked himself, unaware of what happened. He took notice of the banshee in the middle of the room.

"Dangit Melody, what did I tell you about causing mayhem on Halloween? It's supposed to be a fun party, not a monster mash. You don't automatically win the costume contest if you scare everyone else off," he sighed, having pieced it all together.

The banshee said nothing as she started drifting towards him, having found a new person to torment.

"Melody this isn't funny. You need to apologize to everyone for this behavior," he said, taking a step back. Now he wasn't sure if it was her or not.

The banshee ignored him, instead continuing to drift towards him. He started panicking and decided that this wasn't a member of his guild at all. He dropped the basket and scrambled back up the stairs.

The banshee sat next to the fallen basket, unwrapping a piece of candy.

"I win," was all she said as she chewed on the piece of taffy and her shrieking eel curled itself around her.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phenoixblizzard For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-11-2018),Stephanie (10-10-2018)

MoiraEverheart is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Sleepy Hollow
    "Are you sure you left your basket here Timmy?" Bonne annie asked the small chicken as the three of them stepped through the cold sand. "Y-yeah I did, right as I ran out.." The bird shook as the captain placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry kiddio. We'll find your basket in time for Halloween." It had barely been a night before when Timothy Bird had ran out of the abandoned lighthouse in flat out fear when his buddies had dared him to go up to a skeleton and ask for some candy. Naturally he didn't want to back out of something so "serious" so of course he ran into trouble there and left his whole basket behind. He nearly begged the young captain to help him recover it in time and they reluctantly agreed after dragging Bonnie annie to come with. Now as they stood along the sands of shady hallow, next to the abandoned and destroyed houses, a strange feeling sunk in their stomachs. Nevertheless, they began to walk the road as the scenery became darker and darker, as the leaves on the trees grew more gray and flat. Strangely, instead of the place being crawling with the undead, it seemed to be oddly quiet for this time of day. Not even the grass rustled as the wind blew by, as the group walked on the dirt pathway.

"Oi captain, it's awfully quiet here." She nodded, but still kept walking as Bonne annie shivered a bit. "There up there, I think i dropped it up there!" Timmy yelled, running up the hill to grab the vacant basket. "Wait timmy slow down-" The captain called. but before she could stop him, he reached out and ripped the basket straight from the ground. But as he did it through, a small shadow began to chase the walls before tugging from under the ground. Timmy screamed as a hand began to claw at the basket once more, and he jumped away fearfully into Bonne annie's arms who's gun was drawn at the strange intruders. More began to pop out from the ground though, and as they backed up as far they could from the hill, a skeleton man blocked their way. Before the captain could cry out, a strange looking purple skely came in their way, a little smile on his crooked face as he held up the tiny basket. "Trick.. or treat?"

Fin
    Happy Spooky Month )

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MoiraEverheart For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-19-2018)

Stephanie is offline Rookie

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

This is a piece of fanfiction based on the quests Wolf's Grievance and Black Storm Rising, which I recently completed on my buccaneer.

Silver Rain's Choice

Silver Rain had been dead for... she couldn't remember how long. When you are dead, you experience time differently. You don't feel the cycles of hunger or tiredness anymore. You don't feel much of anything anymore, really. Mostly, you just feel sad.

Sad because you can no longer have the things you enjoyed in life. The wind ripping your skin. The grass tingling your feet. The rich juicy taste of bumbaloon flesh and the thrum of the night-time songs. Above all, you feel sad because these things were taken away from you without your consent, without regard for you as a person, without any consideration for your feelings or longings or desires, when you were far too young to die.

After Silver Rain's death, there was talk of vengeance. Of shedding more blood in her name. As if the only thing that mattered was who owned her, and who could prove that ownership through violence.

After Silver Rain's death, there was a marked absence in the spirit world. The ancestors asked, "Where is Silver Rain? Oughtn't she to be here by now?" The spirits worried that because she died such a traumatic death, she wouldn't be able to find her way to her grandfathers.

Little did they know, it was her choice to stay away from her grandfathers. She was angry about dying. Nobody had any right to talk about what she ought or ought not to do, not when her ability to do anything in the first place had been taken away from her before she even had a chance to grow. To become her own person.

She would stay a drifting ghost for as long as she pleased. There was some pleasure left to be had in listening to the night-time songs, even if she couldn't dance there anymore. And oh, yes, there was pleasure indeed in haunting the people who annoyed her.

Haunting. Now that was a benefit of being dead, for sure.

Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-11-2018),RealDux (10-11-2018),samisanz (10-18-2018)

doomrocks1 is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

The Broken Commander

Diego still couldn’t believe how much had went wrong when they were storming the Machine.

When they had heard the Toymaker’s plan, it had seemed feasible, the way he had described it. Simply waltz into the Machine, have a face to face talk with his son, his creation, his masterpiece: Kane. It had all been made out to be the easy solution to what would have been a long road; instead of fighting against Kane, they would redeem him. They would purify him with the Golden Heart, and this would all end.

He was wrong. Very.

Diego watched Gazpaccio drop to the floor with a groan, make a plea to his son, but then fall silent and still. They were completely taken by surprise when Kane had surrounded them with all of the guards and every court member, their defeated foes being yet another horrifying jolt from the long gone past. The unmoving masks of the Armada spymaster and general chilled him down to the bone.

His crew fought valiantly just to save him. The captain, the one who should’ve stopped them from running headfirst into this mess that would undoubtedly be the end, just not the one they were expecting. It would instead be the one they were dreading. Yet he ran like a coward, he thought, when they stalled for time for him to run.

He had been running, walking, jogging along the unending corridors of the accursed Machine for, well, who knows how long? There was nothing to tell of how much time had passed since he had fled the doomed battle. He only had the eerie drone of the mechanical gears and the strain of the dim lights to accompany what had to be his last journey. He wondered what happened to his crew, if they had shouted his name when they were knocked to the ground by the heavy halberds of the marines or the crushing blows of the dragoon greatswords.

Suddenly, he heard something that made him push out of his thoughts into reality. It did not exactly blend into the ambience, and he turned around slowly, so slowly, to see what was haunting him. His eyes met with a dreaded sight; the supreme commander of the Armada, clothes ripped to shreds, walking towards him with the gleam of his blade, of his golden mask, and certainly a will to do something. Diego froze.

Then, he ran for all he was worth, hearing the fast footsteps of his nightmare behind him. Stronger, smarter, and faster than any living being. Avery’s jumbled words and other memories raced through his mind as he raggedly heaved out the remaining breaths he had left. This was the end.

“Wake up! It’s just a dream, captain, just a dream.” He jumped out of his bed in the cabin as his closest friends were huddled around the bed, shaking him awake. Bonnie murmured, “He’s gone, remember? Forever.” Diego, though trembling, nodded as his heartbeat slowed. But he couldn’t rid himself of the feeling that Kane was still out there somewhere, waiting to take his revenge, as he glanced out the window into the dark, gloomy night while lightning flashed overhead in the skies.

"As I've always said, a glorious death is to be envied! Surrender? To the likes of you? Never!"

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doomrocks1 For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-11-2018),GoldenGuardian (10-12-2018)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

An Adventure

It had been three years since the defeat of the heartless Lord Kane. My very blades ended war. And now, the political affairs of a broken spiral recovering from the Armada’s tyranny just simply bored my spirit. Treasure, power and fame had no worth in my eyes, they were all meaningless. Only adventure mattered. That is why I combined all my many galleons into a massive Man of War. A super ship. The “Dark Star” was the first 800m by 150m ship of its kind, armed with 350 cannons and 25 mortars. Surely this feat of engineering, constructed by the genius Gracie Conrad, would withstand the mystery of a forgotten underworld. And so, I and my ragtag crew that saved the spiral countless times, set off on an adventure that we should never had set off on…

“Three thousand years ago, the Spiral was a different place. Here many a ship sailed across vast, infinite waters. A beautiful never-ending world of blue. Blue seas, blue skies, and lush green islands scattered like emeralds on an oceanic surface of sapphire.

Three thousand years ago, we left for one reason. To escape. And so, behold, with the power of a long-forgotten ancient magic, the archwizards and archwitches of the Ancient Spiral raised the land we stand upon today from the depths below to the skies above.

Three thousand years ago, man ascended into the heavens, for what lies in the dark deep beneath is death.

~Abraham R. Hawkins”

It had been my first time reading that riveting letter, and yet also my last time, before a frenzied Captain Avery swiftly plucked it from my hand and set it ablaze.

“There is one rule every sailor follows laddie”, the Captain uttered. “Never descend below the skyways. Never in your wildest dreams”.

He sighed, gently stroking the white feathers on his parrot’s head. His eyes, as I recall, did not shine with the usual greedy twinkle of a sky-rat scoundrel, but were instead engulfed in an empty void of loss and regret.

“Many a pirate- nay, many a brother, have sailed down below to witness the fathomed seas, but none have returned. I know this letter is from ye grandfather, and a sky-faring legend he was... but I beg ye, do not tread in his foolish footsteps.”

Abraham Ridley Hawkins, like every other member in the Hawkins lineage, was cursed with the spirit of curiosity and adventure. Arthur Hawkins had gotten his father’s rash spirit and set out to find El Dorado with his wife Eloise Abigail Hawkins. And like my grandfather, father and mother before me, I Dino Hawkins, now had an unquenchable thirst for adventure and knowledge. I was possessed.

The Man of War began its descent. Soon the Isles of Skull Island disappeared. The rays of the sun slowly faded away until all that remained was an air of thick blackness. Here only the fires of the Dark Star’s lit up our plummeting path. It was quiet for many days.

And then one day we heard it. It was soft as first, a gentle “whoosh”. Then came the thundering crashes, waves upon waves colliding with each other relentlessly. The long-forgotten sound of the sea.

An unsettled Old Scratch was the first to comment. “Cap’n my Captain, I sense these waters have bad mojo”
    I should have heeded the words of the un-dead harbinger.

“Ratbeard, Toro, Bonnie! Blast the fireworks from broadside so we may see how big this ocean actually be”, I commanded

“Aye, Aye Captain!”

“As you wish!”

These would be the last words my crew would ever utter.

For as the fireworks exploded in the distance, the world around us was bright enough for a moment. Bright enough to see briefly see the ocean beneath us. Bright enough to swiftly witness the shadowy silhouette of something sinister watching us below. Something so large and so terrifying that the Dark Star was but a mere raft in its presence. Something evil.

Now I realized that all who descend shall never rise to tell the tale. For you see at that moment, all I remembered were my Grandfathers words…

“Three thousand years ago, man ascended into the heavens, for what lies in the dark deep beneath is death…”

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

Avery Court Grace (10-19-2018),doomrocks1 (10-12-2018)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast