View Poll Results: Are troggies primitive?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes they are primitve

4 50.00%
  • No they are advanced

4 50.00%
       sparticus32 is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• sparticus32's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Poll: Troggies, primitve or not?

So I was curious, Do you think the troggies of SI are primitve or not? I think they are more advanced than we believe but ill go over that on a post on my blog novemeber first. But I reallly am interested if the majority sees them as just another primitive race in the spiral. and if you want explain your reasons for your choice.
    every person collects something be it stamps or rare books, I on the other hand collect golden chickens...and that my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. *cough* crazy person *cough*Credit to Doom-N-Gloomy for my amazing avatar

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sparticus32 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (10-14-2018),Ravino (10-12-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Re: Poll: Troggies, primitve or not?

Reminds me of that dialogue change regarding troggies and water-moles, I felt rather uncomfortable playing on the side of colonizers and ending native revolts without even a hint it wasn't so black-and-white.

That aside I consider the troggies on the same level as the water-moles, they're developed but tribal. But where the water-moles are mostly communicative and welcoming, the troggies are a reclusive group, hard to communicate with and adsorbed in their ways.
    In other words they're close-minded and live in a bubble-reality. By real world standards I don't think their behavior could be called primitive by a pirate, there're many closed groups ruled by instinct among terrorist, political, religious and racial societies... and despite a few labels at our disposal, we don't call them "primitive" or "underdeveloped".

~R

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

LuckyDuck (10-12-2018)

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Ravino View Post
    Reminds me of that dialogue change regarding troggies and water-moles, I felt rather uncomfortable playing on the side of colonizers and ending native revolts without even a hint it wasn't so black-and-white.

That aside I consider the troggies on the same level as the water-moles, they're developed but tribal. But where the water-moles are mostly communicative and welcoming, the troggies are a reclusive group, hard to communicate with and adsorbed in their ways.
    In other words they're close-minded and live in a bubble-reality. By real world standards I don't think their behavior could be called primitive by a pirate, there're many closed groups ruled by instinct among terrorist, political, religious and racial societies... and despite a few labels at our disposal, we don't call them "primitive" or "underdeveloped".

~R
    that's not even close to what i'm talking about. I'm asking scientifically primitive. for example homo habilis is the earliest form of man and would therefore be primitive. Think of it this way, primitive is using only the most basic of tools and basically being closer to wild animals than human. Dolphins while animals or apes are intelligent and able to use tools so they aren't primitive. Its a common misconception primitive is an insult yet its used to classify humans in their timeline. Also I while I am ashamed of what my people did as are you I think its a horrible idea to just remove all traces of it, removing the word savage from the game in my opinion was just running away from what we had done and not facing it and teaching the younger generation to do better. But once again, you missed the point, and i'm not trying to call you out or anything just trying to tell you that i'm talking scientifically and that its in no way insulting to anyone. sorry if I offended you but I am a strict believer in learning from history by not banning it and openly accepting what we did. Like how i'm against schools banning to kill a mockingbird. but hey your entitled to your opinion and even though I disagree I wont say your wrong about it. Just a difference of philosophies I guess.
    every person collects something be it stamps or rare books, I on the other hand collect golden chickens...and that my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. *cough* crazy person *cough*Credit to Doom-N-Gloomy for my amazing avatar

•  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus32 View Post
    that's not even close to what i'm talking about. I'm asking scientifically primitive. for example homo habilis is the earliest form of man and would therefore be primitive. Think of it this way, primitive is using only the most basic of tools and basically being closer to wild animals than human. Dolphins while animals or apes are intelligent and able to use tools so they aren't primitive. Its a common misconception primitive is an insult yet its used to classify humans in their timeline. Also I while I am ashamed of what my people did as are you I think its a horrible idea to just remove all traces of it, removing the word savage from the game in my opinion was just running away from what we had done and not facing it and teaching the younger generation to do better. But once again, you missed the point, and i'm not trying to call you out or anything just trying to tell you that i'm talking scientifically and that its in no way insulting to anyone. sorry if I offended you but I am a strict believer in learning from history by not banning it and openly accepting what we did. Like how i'm against schools banning to kill a mockingbird. but hey your entitled to your opinion and even though I disagree I wont say your wrong about it. Just a difference of philosophies I guess.
    wait let me specify what i'm talking about, 1, can they use tools, are they up to date with modern things, and do they have the intelligence to adapt to new things and new technologies. things like that. In a way you are right, their social system could be considered primitive but that's only a small part, and i'm not talking about a pirate i'm talking about the spirals view. and it is heavily implied people thing of them as lesser beings.

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by sparticus32 View Post
    wait let me specify what i'm talking about, 1, can they use tools, are they up to date with modern things, and do they have the intelligence to adapt to new things and new technologies. things like that.
    By that definition, no, they are not primitive because they seem to have a sophisticated technological system of their own. Like that machine in the Flooded Shrine. They also use weapons of their own design instead of simply relying on their bodies.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

What is called "primitive" is rather conversational, there isn't a true definition of the word especially when trying to classify beings in the game who're sentient personified animals. I'll try to make my points clearer:

They have a society (live in groups), a power structure (have leaders), a culture (rituals, likely beliefs as well) and also ceremonies, therefore no I wouldn't call them a primitive society.
    They have tools, weapons, magic and architecture so they're well developed when it comes to technology.
    They're intelligent and capable of quick learning, as shown by Hopper. Their society simply doesn't seem to allow contact with outsiders; with no communication most observers perceive them as primitive.

Whatever they were always this reclusive we don't know. It's possible they were already closed off from the start, or their contact with another species made them that way.

The Marleybonians were the colonizers of Skull Island so maybe the dogs scared the Troggies. After all, in history Europeans were quick to deem groups in Africa and Americas "primitive" due to communication barriers and turned against them. In time it's no wonder these groups sought to keep their distance from the white man.

On less fitting hypothesis their harmful contact could have come before the dogs. Either with the mater-moles or in ancient times with the Aztecasours and builders of El Dorado; these experienced would shape the way of life of all their offspring, due to physiological traumas/fears/instincts in society-wide scale passing down through DNA.

Long answer short: They're not primitive in their behavior or technology, they're just called so by more advanced groups. We know they were driven away during the colonization of Skull Island; and very likely the fear developed from that experience led to a change in Troggy behavior, which furthered the Marleybonian's idea they were salvages... perception that remains to this age.

~R

P.S.: Learning from history is a crucial - if commonly overlooked - element of building a better future. With so much information on our fingertips, I find it really saddening that most of mankind still can't understand it... or worse, refuse to see it.
    Last edited by Ravino; 10-13-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Avery Court Grace is offline Boatswain
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Woot

They are as dumb as a sack of bricks, but as cute as a fluffy bunny riding a dinosaur over a rainbow with a laser gun and ninja outfit.