CunningJustinSilver is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

Pirate101 PvP: Ranked Overwatch 5

Finished working on my musket so I will be uploading my journey to Champion (hopefully).

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CunningJustinSilver For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (11-10-2018),RealDux (11-10-2018),Stephanie (11-09-2018)

NinjaPikmin is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• NinjaPikmin's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Nimble Nicholas Newton
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Quest Mooshu Ship
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

Re: Pirate101 PvP: Ranked Overwatch 5

Ouch. Buccaneer vs Overwatch 5 is painful from experience but that was a massacre.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPikmin View Post
    Ouch. Buccaneer vs Overwatch 5 is painful from experience but that was a massacre.
    Yup he said the same thing after the match. Hides really mess up OW5 though unfortunately.

NinjaPikmin is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• NinjaPikmin's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Nimble Nicholas Newton
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Quest Mooshu Ship
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

Most people I see give up the Rat to run Contessa to counter that or at the least force them to take a bad angle through bombs to get through her protection. I think you can get away with not having his knockback and hold the line since you can just run away if they manage to get inside your overwatch range. I've also seen people run hide boots in response to a buccaneer-heavy queue. If the buccaneer randomly runs their companions through your range like your opponent did here, then you're fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NinjaPikmin For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (11-09-2018)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

The hide boots are a really good suggestion I didn’t think about. I’m still pretty new to musket PvP so I don’t know all the ins and outs. I decided to run Ratbeard to have a beefy frontliner but he might just be overkill with OW5. The problem I have with Contessa is that if I run her with first strike x3 she won’t have many avenues to be an offensive threat, unlike Rat who has a few guaranteed attacks and is better at breaking up hard pushes. I also considered dropping scratch but he’s pretty good unfortunately.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CunningJustinSilver For This Useful Post:

RealDux (11-10-2018)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Hey Justin! Experienced musketeer here. Glad to see more entering the scene. I'll throw some advice and personal experience your way about the overwatch build.

I'll start with recommended gear, a lot of it may be obvious. Seeing your build, the hat and weapon are left out.

Outfit

• Ranchero's Finery
    • Top Sergeant's Uniform

Boots
    • Gladiator's Galea
    • Auric Peril Boots
    • Centipede Shinguards

Accessories
    • Patch of Tyche's Blind Luck
    • Patch of Asterion's Ruin
    • Black Rain Shades
    • Technomage's glasses

Totems
    • Jewel of Moo Manchu
    • Apprentice's Charm

Charms
    • Apollo's Necklace
    • Sprocket Key

Rings
    • Southern Cross Gem
    • Southern Djinn's Ring
    • Drill Sergeant's Ring

VS Buccaneer
    • As stated before, this is indeed the easiest matchup for an overwatch musketeer. A hide provided by gear is a very good choice vs both buccaneer and swashbuckler, and you'll want to use it defensively with this build. I like to equip only boots that grant walk in darkness to open up more flexibility for other gear slots, but no harm in having more than one. Both the Gladiator's Boots or Auric Peril Boots are ideal. You may want to cast Walk in Darkness when:
      • A swashbuckler plays black fog while you are vulnerable.
      • A buccaneer plays walk in darkness when you're open even in the slightest, and can't gain enough leverage to deter them.
      • You are hit by an accuracy-reducing power such as vicious charge, as to wait out the debuff, while imposing the threat of a hidden trickshot. In some scenarios for this one, hiding won't be the best play, so make the judgement call.

• Companions
      • Old Scratch
      • Chantal
      • Ratbeard
      • Exeter
        • You'll most definitely want to bring Ratbeard along for this one, and the rest is completely up to you. From experience, the most effective and flexible team here involves Old Scratch, Exeter, and Ratbeard. That's right, I spare them the pain of dealing with the flamingo solely because you'll want all the defense you can get. Exeter forces them to split up (which buccaneers may do regardless of exeter), and in their initial attack you may slow someone with a high chance of shortening the number of able bodies to 3, which is a huge deal for this build. You can definitely swap Old Scratch or Exeter for Chantal if it fits your play style better.

VS Swashbuckler
    • There is more than one way to approach this matchup.
      • First strike 3 team
        • El Toro
        • Ratbeard
        • Contessa
          • Firstly reset Contessa (and anyone else on the list) to have first strike 3. It may be less offense, but she becomes a utility unit that's able to defend herself and other teammates against hidden enemies and go on the offensive with her own walk in darkness.
          • I prefer the companion order exactly as you see in the list, that way Ratbeard and Contessa gain a little bit of an advantage both offensively and defensively if I want to cast El Toro's power on the same turn. Pretty much just corner up, and never hesitate to use your barricade early.

• "Standard"
      • Old Scratch
      • Exeter
      • Chantal
      • Ratbeard
      • Contessa
        • If you include Exeter, swashbuckler most often gets close enough before casting black fog to where a unit with 6-7 movement range can attack on the same turn. Use this to their demise. Slow them down and you may want to increase your mojo with old scratch. Ideally you'll want to get in range with Torpedoes to where all/most enemies cannot simply run out of it's range while slowed down. Choosing a team of any listed companions will work just fine. Experiment, swap them around and find what team works best for you. Again, don't be afraid to lay down your barricade before they cast black fog.

VS Privateer
    • I can say with great confidence that you probably won't win with this build, especially with Nausica in play. The best thing you can do is acquire the most defense you possibly can, because privateers will win the attrition battle.
    • You may equip the Sprocket Key to have 2 Purge Magic cards with Old Scratch, as a means of dispelling buffs that they put on Nausica whom they will try and wreck your whole team with. There's not much to go on about this matchup because it's pretty simple, one jarring turn from either side can determine who wins on the spot. There are many ways to deal with a beefed up Nausica, it's all up to you whether you want to hold the line with Ratbeard, have Exeter reduce weapon power, or stun with True Grit 3, and so on. Get creative with your defenses and companion combinations. You might also want to swap your hiding boots for a revive, hiding tends to be obsolete in this particular matchup.

VS Witchdoctor
    • If your opponent knows what he's doing, watch out, because you sacrificed a few of your gear slots for an ability that may prove fundamentally useless against them. Throw down your barricade early, not too close to them, and not too far from you either. You want to block off their line of sight completely until you are prepared. One positive in this matchup is that minions probably won't be an issue. When you're ready, you want to literally go full frontal and throw you and your team at them (do spread out). This works mostly in your favor since it forces them to defend themselves, or if they're desperate they'll teleport away and leave a companion or 3 for dead. Extra bonus points if you have Witch Hunter. This setup isn't particularly picky in what companions you use, but generally, defensive companions like Exeter and Ratbeard prove to be a little less helpful, so I would go with companions that can go on the offensive. Like vs privateer, I find more use in boots that grant revive rather than a hide.

VS Musketeer
    • If your opponent has Old Scratch, no doubt they'll want to get closer and throw mojo-boosted torpedoes at you. I recommend to hold onto your barricade if they have Old Scratch, so that when the threat of being blasted by mojo-boosted bombs does arise, you can block their line of sight by shoving a barricade in their face.
    • If your opponent brings Nausica along, things can get a little cheesy, but doable, so bringing Old Scratch or the Sprocket Key is never a bad idea. I strongly recommend this team in a mirror matchup:
      • Old Scratch
      • Chantal
      • Nausica

You're probably itching for a ranked team, so here's my favorite team to play when I have absolutely no idea who I will be matched with.
    • Old Scratch
    • Chantal
    • Contessa
      • Some leverage against buccaneers is lost due to the absence of Ratbeard, but it shouldn't be much of a problem since it's replaced with Contessa which means while Gallant Defense is active, it is more useful than Hold the Line in a lot of situations. She's also the go-to if Black Fog is giving you trouble. Old Scratch and Chantal I feel are self-explanatory, use his mojo for some strong absorbs, bombs, or heals. Chantal serves as a rudimentary 2-in-1, with both damage capacity, accuracy reduction, and is a helping hand when you want to boost agility and buff up at the same time.

Again I'm just showing you what's worked best for me when I use Overwatch in PVP. I hope this helps you and even betters your understanding of the mentality that is sort of demanded from this build.
    Last edited by RealDux; 11-10-2018 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Wording errors

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (11-10-2018),Crushcut (11-10-2018),Stephanie (11-10-2018)