•  Ship Type:
      •  Quest Mooshu Ship
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

Guide to becoming a Champion in 2019

This video will explain all of the gear and strategies needed to become a Champion during the Winter 2019 PvP Season.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NinjaPikmin For This Useful Post:

Celestialmoon (01-02-2019),GoldenGuardian (01-03-2019),Logan (01-02-2019),Mathew (01-02-2019),Stephanie (01-02-2019)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Re: Guide to becoming a Champion in 2019

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaPikmin View Post
    This video will explain all of the gear and strategies needed to become a Champion during the Winter 2019 PvP Season.

I loved how the ostrich in a pear tree shuffled in time with the music in 0:22-0:30 . Getting some real afro circus vibes
    Last edited by GoldenGuardian; 01-03-2019 at 06:28 AM.

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

So, I hadn't started piratin' yet when Charming Gaze was banned from PVP, but I have heard about how players protested and KI made it so that pets with the ability wouldn't cast it in PVP. Do you think that something similar needs to be done about Time Warp?

I once suggested that pet abilities like Time Warp be shown when you mouse over them, similar to how you can see when a pet has Scent, so that players can at least prepare for a possible Time Warp cast instead of being taken completely by surprise and losing on the spot. That suggestion fell on deaf ears however :/
    Last edited by Stephanie; 01-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

RealDux (01-03-2019)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    So, I hadn't started piratin' yet when Charming Gaze was banned from PVP, but I have heard about how players protested and KI made it so that pets with the ability wouldn't cast it in PVP. Do you think that something similar needs to be done about Time Warp?

I once suggested that pet abilities like Time Warp be shown when you mouse over them, similar to how you can see when a pet has Scent, so that players can at least prepare for a possible Time Warp cast instead of being taken completely by surprise and losing on the spot. That suggestion fell on deaf ears however :/

I don't think KI is taking suggestions for Pirate101 at this time. They are still getting around to the ones suggested back in 2016:

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/the-...529dec14c572f5

https://www.pirate101.com/forum/mess...534203b45019d6
    Last edited by Kingurz; 01-03-2019 at 09:18 PM.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

I don't think having time warp show up when you mouse over a pet would do much of anything. There are pretty clear tells to when a pet has time warp (For instance, they're running an ultra-aggressive team, casting buffs prematurely, etc), and the ranked community is small enough that you figure out pretty quickly who does and doesn't have warp. Even if you know it's coming, the offensive efficiency it gives can still be nearly impossible to contend with, unless you get good draws and rng.

This season has made it pretty clear to me that warp needs a nerf or ban in Ranked PvP, yes. I've been writing a series of articles (through b astion) that should be out shortly that discusses the current state of the ranked metagame, and one of the biggest consequences of how popular warp has gotten is how hostile the meta is to new players (I'm not referring to personality or character issues from the players here, just to be clear). Most of the optimally competitive builds feature very specific pets/gear (time warp, possibly overwatch 5) or rely heavily on "cheese" (trees, scratch, boon, etc). Even a veteran player is going to struggle to take these strategies down, so a new player has no hope. If it's not banned entirely, I'd suggest that the movement range buff only be one square, and that the talent buff be only one rank of relent/burst. This puts warp on the power level of something like rainbow blessing.

Currently, ranked pvp is becoming "an arms race of degeneracy" (I suppose you could argue that this was always the case, but it seems like it's only getting worse) and I think some outside intervention is needed to fix the problem.
    Last edited by Mathew; 01-04-2019 at 11:56 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (01-04-2019)