•  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Balancing PVP

This is in the feedback section because that is the one that Kingsisle reads, right? I'm only going to cover PVP since including other improvements would result in anenormous post. Pirates for the most part has been fairly balanced, but there's those few things that could use some major tweaking.

Starting with abilities, I don't think anything needs fixing or is broken at the moment other than Angry Orchards. It's turned away many players because of how broken it is. It's health is ludicrously high for a multi-summon, and unreasonably advantageous especially for ranged classes due to the 'move and summon' aspect.

1. Angry Orchards

• 50% health reduction
    • Normal critical rate
    • Summon in X pattern

In terms of RNG there is at least one thing that makes sense to change, which is the criticals. Wizard101 a while back had a major issue with critical interfering with actual strategy, so it's system for PVP was changed. What can we do to make RNG a little less conditional to critical? It's pretty simple.

• Criticals in PVP
      • Epic hits only
      • Guaranteed Mega/Super hit powers still allowed

Last on the list of things effecting gameplay directly is more so a number of bugs, but still need to be fixed just like the rest of the unbalanced factors. @Nojow created a thread on the message boards detailing each one. Bat Masterson has replied to the thread and is allegedly having some people look into it.
    Last edited by RealDux; 02-03-2019 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Can't seem to close that space gap.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (07-14-2019),Mathew (02-05-2019),Stephanie (02-04-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Balancing PVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealDux View Post
    This is in the feedback section because that is the one that Kingsisle reads, right? I'm only going to cover PVP since including other improvements would result in anenormous post. Pirates for the most part has been fairly balanced, but there's those few things that could use some major tweaking.

Starting with abilities, I don't think anything needs fixing or is broken at the moment other than Angry Orchards. It's turned away many players because of how broken it is. It's health is ludicrously high for a multi-summon, and unreasonably advantageous especially for ranged classes due to the 'move and summon' aspect.

1. Angry Orchards

• 50% health reduction
    • Normal critical rate
    • Summon in X pattern

In terms of RNG there is at least one thing that makes sense to change, which is the criticals. Wizard101 a while back had a major issue with critical interfering with actual strategy, so it's system for PVP was changed. What can we do to make RNG a little less conditional to critical? It's pretty simple.

• Criticals in PVP
      • Epic hits only
      • Guaranteed Mega/Super hit powers still allowed

Last on the list of things effecting gameplay directly is more so a number of bugs, but still need to be fixed just like the rest of the unbalanced factors. @Nojow created a thread on the message boards detailing each one. Bat Masterson has replied to the thread and is allegedly having some people look into it.
    I absolutely agree with the nerf to trees. However, I don't think criticals are anywhere near as problematic to pirate PvP than they were at their worst for Wizard101 PvP. As someone who did high-rank PvP on wiz before the overhaul that made criticals do 1.3x, they were beyond frustrating and were, quite honestly, the main reason why I quit wiz.

For starters, it wasn't infrequent to have matches that went like this: You go second, opponent gets t1 shadow pip. They use a shadow hit, it crits and lands, you're dead or at < 1500 health. There is no commonly occurring equivalent to this in Pirate101 PvP. The game is generally interactive enough to allow you to set up defenses in some way first (In the situations where it isn't, it's due to another broken power like Time Warp in ranked or Scratch buffs). Furthermore, wiz criticals were guaranteed to do 2x damage. In pirate, any non-guaranteed critical will do either 1.33x, 1.66x, or 2x damage, helping to lower the impact of a critical.

Finally, I've found that criticals in pirate are much more explicable and logically consistent than they were in wiz. I recall very clearly the PvP match that made me seriously re-evaluate my decisions to do wiz PvP. I was second as a death, versus a balance. I was at ~5k health with a single tower shield up. I had enough blades stacked so that I would be able to execute a game-ending combo with a Myth Banshee into shadow hit in 2 rounds. My opponent had 7 pips, no shadows. My opponent used a loremaster, it crit and landed. I powered the blade that would give me the damage necessary to win the game. They got a shadow pip (5 pips total). I knew that they would use gaze of fate and attempt to close out the match there. I also knew that I would tank the attack unless they landed both heads of the Gaze, a very unlikely event, given that I had 88% critical block. Well, they landed both heads of the gaze (insert shocked Pikachu face) and I died a terrible death. While I understand 3 landed criticals in one match is likely an anomaly, this was far from the first time that I had suffered from my tremendously high critical block refusing to function.

In Pirate, I've never frequently seen criticals or critical chains that were as unlikely to occur. Their occurrence is generally fairly logical. It makes sense that a privy gets a lot of base crits on a buckler that has 39 agility. The same is true for a buck getting base crits on a musket or witch. Crit poisons in a mirror? Well, they did have a critical buff up. Also, criticals are nowhere near as game-impacting. Any sort of landed critical in wiz on a spell that did more than 300 points of damage was often game ending. The tempo advantage was incredibly difficult to come back from. Very rarely do I see a single critical have that large an impact on a match. Sure, critical assassins are a thing, and they're very frustrating, but I rarely or never see matches that were heavily swung in one players favor that went the other way due to a single critical.

All this isn't to say that criticals are not a problem at all. They are, to a very, very slight extent. There are far more important problems/broken things for Kingsisle to fix in my opinion (things like Scratch, Time Warp in Ranked PvP, Firstmate's Boon, Blast of Discord, OW5, and Witch Hunter).
    Last edited by Mathew; 02-05-2019 at 10:31 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (07-14-2019),FusionSun (02-07-2019)

Da Baddest is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Sleepy

What we really need to be talking about is the buffing of the witchdoctor class in pvp.

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

I would like to add that despite being able to get wrecked fairly fast on my end with Firstmate's Boon, I don't think it's broken. The only thing that needs to be changed about it is it's ability to stack with other damage buffs such as Walk in Darkness. It currently violates the rule of same-type buffs being disallowed to stack.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Stephanie (02-08-2019)