Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

What would YOU do?

So you meet a Level 64 Musketeer outside the Gates of the Labyrinth, and he's not wearing very good gear. In fact, he's only filled about half of his slots, and the others are not much more than cosmetic. None of them gives him abilities, and his pet is at Level 16. After a brief chat, you discover that he knows he is missing some gear, isn't trying any sort of "challenge," and says he has plenty of gold to spend at the Bazaar.

What would YOU do?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (02-07-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),RealDux (02-08-2019)

maple9300 is online now Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• maple9300's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Gin no Melody
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Going Merry T_T
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Procrastinating

Re: What would YOU do?

Well, depending on my mood, I may or may not ditch him xD
    And at the same time that I like to be helpful, I don't like to waste my time and patience in-game; I wouldn't wait for him to go all the way to the bazaar.
    That said, I would go into the dungeon with him. I don't like to think of the other as dead weight (lol), but I'd be enough to carry the weight for the both of us!
    And for someone like that pirate, I wouldn't leave him inexperienced as he is. Inside the dungeon, I would then recommend him gear

I'd be surprised that he even managed to get that far into the game with that gear in the first place. I'd think that he must be good in tactics and strategy making it without any proper gear, but then again, if he was so strategically adept, he would have proper gear in the first place.
    Last edited by maple9300; 02-07-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    Amanda Nightingale, 70 Swashbuckler; Sly Emily Kidd, 70 Musketeer; Lucy Everheart, 70 Witchdoctor; ​Charming Adrian, 70 Buccaneer; Clever Irene, 70 Privateer; Silver Melody, 70 Swashbuckler

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to maple9300 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (02-07-2019),GoldenGuardian (02-08-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Phenoixblizzard (02-07-2019),Stephanie (02-08-2019),Willowdreamer (02-07-2019)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

3 out of the 4 options are pretty nice gestures, but if said player was not very polite about it, I think I'd understand wanting to ditch the guy.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian (02-08-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Stephanie (02-08-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

The situation you have told us is quite specific. In this circumstance, I would assist the pirate because the Labyrinth is an easy dungeon for a max level, and upon this, I have good enough gear to handle any enemies that come in the labyrinth. I do not think it is a hard fight at all. I would not have told him about bazaar stuff, probably because I would not even glance at his gear. If he is level 64, I would assume he would know what the bazaar is.

For a more complex scenario, well, my reaction would depend on the context. I would probably not help a pirate in a tricker dungeon like Kane or Moo if they have trash gear. This reminds me of something...

One time when I was helping someone with the Level 70 Old Scratch promo. He was the most underprepared player I have ever seen. In his many previous attempts to solo the dungeon (before asking me for help), he ended up killing ALL of his companions. He also charged into the fight as player one, so I could only pick 2 companions. He did NOT inform me that all his companions were dead, until after the fight began. I was quite irritated. Thankfully 2 other friends ported to me and the guy got his help. If I had no friends there, I would have just quit and left him alone.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),LuckyDuck (02-13-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

Swordroll is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Depends on what you're up to. If you're farming gold, having him is a help to that cause and not a hindrance. A good pirate setup can take on double the enemies without any real help from a second party, so the damage he deals is just a bonus. The other thing to note is that in Pirate101, you may be an important unit, but you're not the only one. He gets two or three companions that can pull their own weight, too. The more the merrier.

Trying to provide a list or instruction in-game or wait on him at the Bazaar seems like a waste of time for what will probably be a result of little consequence in the long run - you can't really instantly pick up anything at the Bazaar that makes an enormous difference, especially given that a lot of the best gear has little to do with stats and more to do with the powers and epics provided.

If you're just in a hurry, you have no obligation to help or join his run. Obviously he's made it as far as he has, and Pirate101 is a game that can be almost entirely soloed. Leaving him to it is an option I wouldn't take off the table depending on the circumstances.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordroll For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Thanks for the responses so far -- and some thoughts that hadn't occurred to me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019)

CrispyWyvern is offline Sailor
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• CrispyWyvern's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Silver Scarlet Evans
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Hot

It depends. If he is rude and annoying, then I would ditch him no problem. If it was a nice person, of course I'd help out.
    IDK what to put XD

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrispyWyvern For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Stephanie (02-08-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

I'd help him out because I am nice. However, I'd tell him he's gotta get gear or else he's gonna get destroyed and leave me with all the enemies to fight :P

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Stephanie (02-08-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I voted 3 and 4, but it depends on the person.

Generally, I've found that the people who ask for help fall into one of three categories:

- Genuinely interested in learning to play the game but just haven't figured out some little thing that's preventing them from progressing. In this case, I'm usually happy to give them a few pointers to help them arrive at that "aha! That's what I was stuck on!" moment.

- Totally unprepared, never bothered to read any guides or experiment with any game mechanics on their own. I have no patience for this type of person. Even if I helped them get through one quest, they'd still be stuck on the next one, and the next, and the next, and be constantly begging people for help throughout their entire gaming experience. It wouldn't be fun either for them or for whoever tried to help them out.

- Doesn't actually need help, but is rather just lonely and wanting companionship. I stay away from this type of person because A) I don't know them, and I don't have time for them, and B) I'm not trained as a therapist or anything. :/ Thankfully, these types of people are not extremely common.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (02-08-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Willowdreamer (02-08-2019)

flash33 is offline Navigator

• flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Depends on the situation. Obviously in a game like Pirate101 ones crew is arguably more important than the actual MC themselves, so as long as their companions were decently leveled and promoted then I wouldn't be entirely against helping them out provided they were being respectful and understanding.

On the other hand if they had a "my way or the highway" type of attitude and were generally being unpleasant and/or I was on a time crunch then I wouldn't bother to help them out and depending on how far they went would probably also report them as well.

Either way though them willingly not having at least some decent gear when not on a self-made challenge makes me question their overall ability to play the game effectively without help from others.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flash33 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (02-12-2019),Willowdreamer (02-11-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast