View Poll Results: How interested are you in PVP?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Very interested

7 30.43%
  • Somewhat interested

7 30.43%
  • Not interested

9 39.13%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: How interested are you in PVP?

Obviously very interested.

I'd also like to address some of the qualms that other people have expressed in this thread in order to correct some misconceptions

Champion Weapons: The only champion weapon that I would say is truly and significantly better than all other available alternatives is the Fall Champion Weapon (Trees). The Spring weapon is excellent, but it requires careful management of resources to use effectively. If a non-champion pulls ahead in the resource war, particularly with shields, the player with the spring weapon is getting an extra round to survive before they immediately lose all that health again. (Using it also requires sacrificing powerful offensive options like Haywire Strikes/Shots/Surges, Super Charge, Sniper Shots, etc) The poison weapon is the only other viable champion weapon currently. It's only good on buccaneer and there are many similarly powerful alternatives. The Haywire weapons went a long way in ensuring that every class had multiple powerful alternatives to the champion weapons. Often times, these alternatives are even better than the champion weapons themselves, in the case of the weapons like the Haywire Thunder Rifle and Greataxe.

So yes, the weapon "disadvantage" is more often than not a mental thing. Trees are the easy exception, and they clearly need a nerf or ban.

Pay to Win: The only class that is completely incapable of performing with FTP units is Witchdoctor, and that's more of a consequence of the class itself being so weak

Ranked: Ranked is a toxic garbage heap right now (not referring to the players). The only strategies that consistently win are the most degenerate. It's unfortunate, but the goal of Ranked is to win as effectively as possible. Broken stuff does that a lot better than fair stuff. Until KI addresses it with bans or nerfs, it won't get better. However, most players are willing and very happy to do "fair" spar matches (personally, running horribly degenerate builds and getting in a position where I've essentially won by turn 5-6 isn't fun, but it's necessary to win). You also have the option of Central or other player/fansite hosted PvP competitions. If you're interested in PvP, spar is the place to be (ask players for matches, the imbalanced Avery spar matches are no better than ranked). The PvP is infinitely more fair and balanced than wiz PvP has been in years and most of the players are willing to help you learn.

If anyone from KI is reading this, please add a practice PvP queue similar to the Wizard101 one where people can get matches without having to beg in Avery Spar and without feeling pressured to run degenerate garbage.

The "Speed" of PvP: I wrote a series of articles discussing how aggressive ranked (and ranked alone) pvp has gotten, largely from the popularization of Time Warp. Again, Ranked PvP is a garbage heap and currently isn't going to help you "get good." Spar PvP is very much balanced between offense and defense. Once you add in rules, the uninteractive "boats racing through the night" metagame of Ranked PvP vanishes. Interaction with your opponent's gameplan and balance between offense and defense is necessary.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

Alex Deathflame (03-26-2019),BiG BaD WoLFY (03-30-2019),ClockWork12 (03-27-2019),Crushcut (03-26-2019),GoldenGuardian (03-30-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (03-26-2019),Ravino (04-01-2019),Stephanie (03-27-2019)

ClockWork12 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Although i really am a new/newer player i'm not a stranger to pvp in general i think the extra resource is just that a extra resource that you otherwise can't have extra by other means (no other weapon has it) , which is why i think its not just a mental way of thinking but does actually give you more options you otherwise wouldn't have to add another hide or a shield or heal that will help you win the resource wars . I also think it greatly effects the kind of gear set ups you could make to define your strategy and manage your resources as well as how it could dictate how you play the match . Its just my opinion . I do believe it has a bigger impact then just a mental way of thinking even with the other things about the weapon such as the weapon power decrease .The heal on the spring weapon basically gives you a extra spot to add whatever else you need as a part of your gear set up . However i do think a regular bonus attack don't make as much of a impact as a heal , hide or shield does .
    Last edited by ClockWork12; 03-27-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    P101 Eric West/W101C Jeremy5511

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClockWork12 For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (03-30-2019),Stephanie (03-27-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Mathew View Post
    If you're interested in PvP, spar is the place to be (ask players for matches, the imbalanced Avery spar matches are no better than ranked). The PvP is infinitely more fair and balanced than wiz PvP has been in years and most of the players are willing to help you learn.
    If anyone from KI is reading this, please add a practice PvP queue similar to the Wizard101 one where people can get matches without having to beg in Avery Spar and without feeling pressured to run degenerate garbage.
    I would second the need for a practice queue. Re: your comment that spar is the place to be, I haven't personally spent as much time there as in the brawling hall, because brawling hall allows you to get matched with a random opponent who can't see your gear and power choices beforehand, so you can experiment with new/wacky combos and try to win through the element of surprise. The best memories I have of doing ranked were when I tried out new stuff, like inferno shot on my hybrid buccaneer when the Obsidian English Bill gear was new, or poisons on my buckler when Old Scratch had just received a promo. I ran into some other wacky strategies too, like Jesse's undead banner. I feel like in spar, people tend to be more conforming, and there's less room for this kind of free-spirited experimentation. Once I started entering the higher ranks though, I started getting the kind of "degenerate garbage" you mention, the queue became super slow, and PVP became less fun overall.

Anyway, I would find it easier to simply join a queue and get a match, than stand around in a crowd of gossiping people asking for a match. There's just too much drama in spar. People check out your gear and start acting judgmental before you've even played one round. Sometimes I wonder if the people there are even interested in the PVP itself, or if they are just there for the drama.
    Last edited by Stephanie; 03-27-2019 at 07:19 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (03-28-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (03-30-2019),Ravino (04-01-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    I would second the need for a practice queue. Re: your comment that spar is the place to be, I haven't personally spent as much time there as in the brawling hall, because brawling hall allows you to get matched with a random opponent who can't see your gear and power choices beforehand, so you can experiment with new/wacky combos and try to win through the element of surprise. The best memories I have of doing ranked were when I tried out new stuff, like inferno shot on my hybrid buccaneer when the Obsidian English Bill gear was new, or poisons on my buckler when Old Scratch had just received a promo. I ran into some other wacky strategies too, like Jesse's undead banner. I feel like in spar, people tend to be more conforming, and there's less room for this kind of free-spirited experimentation. Once I started entering the higher ranks though, I started getting the kind of "degenerate garbage" you mention, the queue became super slow, and PVP became less fun overall.

Anyway, I would find it easier to simply join a queue and get a match, than stand around in a crowd of gossiping people asking for a match. There's just too much drama in spar. People check out your gear and start acting judgmental before you've even played one round. Sometimes I wonder if the people there are even interested in the PVP itself, or if they are just there for the drama.
    While you're correct about the "surprise" factor of ranked, I find that disadvantageous when testing the power level of new builds. While it's entirely possible, and quite likely, that wacky strategies could pick up wins due to the element of surprise, that isn't an indicator that they're objectively "good." For instance, if I decided to run htl 3 on my swashbuckler in ranked, I could pick up some wins due to the element of surprise. However, the spar chamber would provide an accurate metric of how powerful the setup is (as a side note, it's not good). I wouldn't be relying on the "gotcha" factor to win matches. Instead, wins or losses would stem from the build's objective power level.

Furthermore, I've found that spar chamber matches (outside of avery realm) are ultimately the best testers of skill and the best ways to gain experience. When it comes to companion selections, ranked can often be a rock, paper, scissors matchup of companion choices. This can sometimes lead to heavily lopsided matches from the get go, which are incredibly frustrating. In the spar chamber, both players have the same opportunity to optimize their companion setups. Facing teams that you might be "weak" against give an opportunity to learn how to adapt to weaknesses of your class. In addition, many of the game's top players prefer spar to ranked, or queue for ranked very rarely (due to how overpowering Old Scratch, Trees, Time Warp, etc. are). Facing these players gives you a chance to see how you fare against the upper echelon of what a certain class can offer in a balanced environment.

There's absolutely room for experimentation in friendly spar matches. As I said before, they're often the best way to test experimental gear setups since you're removing the "gotcha" factor. Sure, people tend to run similar gear sets. That's because they've been found to be effective. However, there's nothing stopping people from trying out new things, getting feedback on them, then coming to a decision. Sure, there's drama, but at the same time, there are plenty of people looking for real matches. Go in, ask for a match. If you get one, great! If not, ranked is a fine alternative (although it has a lot of downsides)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

BiG BaD WoLFY (03-30-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (03-30-2019),Stephanie (03-28-2019)

RealDux is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• RealDux's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Benjamin Wright
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

Somewhat. I think it's interesting to see how other people play and how it reflects them as a person. You can learn a little bit about who they are, what they're like, and their general behavior without even knowing them. As @Stephanie has said before, you do not truly know someone until you fight them.

"Blessed are those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the Lord." Psalm 119:1

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RealDux For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (04-04-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (04-04-2019),Stephanie (04-07-2019)

HelpfulAuroraParker is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Creative

Quote Originally Posted by RealDux View Post
    As @Stephanie has said before, you do not truly know someone until you fight them.
    Am I the only one that thought of The Matrix when he said that?

*hears crickets chirping*

Okay then.

HelpfulAuroraParker's Guide to Pet Names

Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 70 Swashbuckler; Brave Kiley, Level 51 Buccaneer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12