•  [Is Unavailable]
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

#MentalHealthAwareness Pirates

Given the lack of mentioning particular holidays, themes, and topics each month, I will initiate this conversation under the assumption Kingsisle won't speak about this on social media, the website forums, or "Kingsisle Live" to begin with.

May is a month of many things. We've had Cinco de Mayo, Star Wars Weekend (May the Fourth and Revenge of the Fifth), Mother's Day Weekend this weekend, #AsianHeritageMonth, the release of the FIRST live action Pokemon film this year, but what's been important for me is that May is #MentalHealthAwareness month.

Mental Health Awareness has been recognized for the month of May since 1949. As such, it CAN be a topic that can broaden to particular discussions, but for this forum, I want us to all discuss about how the game, Pirate101, has affected our own mental health. A lot of online games, from PvP to raids, to dungeon runs, to material farming/resource gathering, etc, do take a mental toll on players. As such, when an individual's mental health has drained out from online gaming, even with breaks, it can affect their physical health as well. Side effects can lead to obesity, low stamina & concentration, decreased immunity to sickness, sleep deprivation, and a bunch of other ones you can find from your search engine. Being an individual who's gone through therapy outside of gaming, school, and work, I want to find a way to bring about a discussion that ties in this game along with this month's topic of #MentalHealthAwareness for anyone still remaining on this site and playing the game. (If you have an ACTUAL mental disability, I would suggest speaking to a moderator about it first in order to be sure you can reply to this thread by the forum's code and conduct before your response leads into an extended discussion.) Thus, I decided we can do a little exercise/ice breaker for the topic of the month.

When I went to a workshop for #AsianHeritageMonth last month, the guest speaker's ice breaker involved describing our "weather." This means instead of saying how we feel such as "tired, hangry, sad, crossed," we would say what our "weather" is in the moment. (Should you choose to, you can describe "why" your forecast is what you described to begin with.) In the case of how I can describe my forecast for Pirate101, here's an example:

Some days I play Pirate101 in 2013, they were "Sunny with a chance of cloudiness." This was because Pirate101 had continuous content to keep me and my fellow forum friends teaming up to help each other finish questing and farming for the items we needed before Valencia Part 2. The Sunny part comes from the enjoyment of community and belonging when I played alongside old friends back then. The cloudy part would originate from the exhaustion I receive after questing and farming drains me physically until I get migraines, haha.

So as best as you can, describe how playing Pirate101, whether you began since the launch in 2012, or are a newer player, has affected your own "forecast" of any day, week, month, or year. Describe a particular memory or two you remember to specify why. Please refrain from discontent thoughts about Pirate101's status in the moment, and think back to when you first started the game to the latest farming/questing session you've had with multiple friends online. I understand that a lot of people have been running low on patience for the game to receive extensive new content following the Skeleton Key bosses, but for the sake of some nostalgia, let's just talk about as much memories as we have of ALL the times we enjoyed the game. Let me and staff know if you have any questions regarding how you should describe your "forecast" before you post here. Thank you! ^^"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crushcut For This Useful Post:

GoldenGuardian (05-12-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Re: #MentalHealthAwareness Pirates

2013 was a dream of spring come fulfilled, with the occasional thunderstorm of glitching buffoonery. Bam! Not just one, but TWO new world updates 6 months since the genesis of the game in late 2013. Flooding was reported in the servers as many new players joined old ones to venture into the mythical lands of Aquila.

The Scallywags i had the pleasure of befriending varied from fellow troublesome teenagers who, instead of tiktok, liked to glitch houses and find secrets instead, to a respectable grandfather who played with his grand kids.

I also met a lot of people who liked cats as well for some reason- like they would go AFK because cat troubles- and I realized most of them are just chill and sweet and caring middle aged women.

All of us were people who wanted to have fun and go piratey, and no matter when you logged on someone was there to lend you a hand. Even the people you didn't add as friends were friends for whatever short time you met them- say like in a dungeon or something. It was such a good community.

In 2013 the game was still young, and everyday was sunshine and blue skies and good times...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-12-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019),Willowdreamer (05-12-2019)

Crushcut is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Crushcut's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Octavio
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  [Is Unavailable]
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

BUMPING THIS THREAD.

Today's forecast is... sunny with a chance of rainfall. It tends to be more fun running Tower of Moo with people than Kane, considering that the Moo Manchu dungeon has been known to be glitched, increasing the chance of getting one's needed Nefarious Five weapon and/or Moo's Imperial Robe and/or Boots. The chance of rainfall is the disappointment in the 1/10,000 chance (until Decius shows up to correct my ratio) of receiving "Kane's Mask" after 300+ attempts at the Machine for me.

HelpfulAuroraParker is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Creative

Quote Originally Posted by Crushcut View Post
    I want us to all discuss about how the game, Pirate101, has affected our own mental health. A lot of online games, from PvP to raids, to dungeon runs, to material farming/resource gathering, etc, do take a mental toll on players. As such, when an individual's mental health has drained out from online gaming, even with breaks, it can affect their physical health as well. Side effects can lead to obesity, low stamina & concentration, decreased immunity to sickness, sleep deprivation, and a bunch of other ones you can find from your search engine.
    Very interesting topic, and I agree that a large amount of playing online computer games or video games does eventually affect you and your mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by Crushcut View Post
    Please refrain from discontent thoughts about Pirate101's status in the moment, and think back to when you first started the game to the latest farming/questing session you've had with multiple friends online. I understand that a lot of people have been running low on patience for the game to receive extensive new content following the Skeleton Key bosses, but for the sake of some nostalgia, let's just talk about as much memories as we have of ALL the times we enjoyed the game.
    "Please refrain from discontent thoughts about Pirate101's status in the moment?" As much as I'd love to be faithful enough to happily and cheerily look back on old moments, my forecast of today (and these past years) is cloudy. Extremely cloudy, with a 97% chance of rain. My apologies for a "bleak outlook," but Pirate101 is not treating their customers like how we should be treated, and unless those clouds suddenly clear away to reveal sunny skies (which is improbable), I'm anticipating rainfall.

Back in 2013, though... It was probably the sunniest day the world has seen. I joined in late 2013 and I loved this game so much. It was, and still is my favorite game.

It's just such a shame KingsIsle doesn't care about such an amazing game.

HelpfulAuroraParker's Guide to Pet Names

Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 70 Swashbuckler; Brave Kiley, Level 51 Buccaneer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelpfulAuroraParker For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-15-2019),Willowdreamer (05-15-2019)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Ah, for the busy days of 2013, rafts, skiffs and galleons flying here and there along the windlanes, happily ganging up to sink those Cutthroat ships in about 15 seconds. No one had any excuse back then for not keeping up their nautical level because the winds were gorgeously supportive in our sails. I remember farming for Bobby Bones' weapons until I had both his blade and his hand. ARRR, we were stylin' then!

Today's forecast is lazily calm waters, still winds with the occasional gust of companion tasks to collect or pets to train. There are clouds on the horizon, our lookout Ratbeard is in the Crow's Nest once again, but the horizon is far, far away so it remains business as usual until we hear more.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-15-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019)