Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Ratbeard Q&A Thread (from Main Message Boards)

Here is a link to @Ratbeard's new thread in case you missed it:

I have returned from the mobile team to the MMO team, as Lead Designer for both Pirate 101 and Wizard 101.

The last major involvement I had for P101 was putting together the Ashes of the Armada pack. I consulted a bit here and there over the past few years for the teams that would be handling P101, but for the most part my duties on the mobile side kept me too busy to keep an eye out here. (And with only one to spare...)

I know that Falmea, Decius, and now Bat have done their best to stay involved here, and hopefully I can step that up a bit.

I'd love to have feedback from the community here in one place where I can not only get information about issues in P101, but re-open a back-and-forth conversation.

I know that the issue of most concern to you is probably "The Future of P101" but, as I commented in the thread of that name, for the specifics of that conversation I must defer to Falmea. I can say that Pirate has a strong ally in Falmea and she goes above and beyond for this game and this community.

So without getting into the "When" conversation, I might be able to offer some "Whats" and "Whys" with regard to things we might do for Pirate.

So... let's pretend I've been marooned for a few years, and just washed up ashore again. What do you want to talk about first?

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (05-17-2019),CompanionMechanics (05-14-2019),Crushcut (05-13-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019),luvs2sleepalot (05-15-2019),maple9300 (05-16-2019),RealDux (05-20-2019),Stephanie (05-14-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: Ratbeard Q&A Thread (from Main Message Boards)

:O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O

WELCOME BACK @Ratbeard! PIRATE101 IS BACK!!!

Who said this game was easy?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CompanionMechanics For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-14-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019),Willowdreamer (05-14-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

O: Good to hear that Ratbeard is back!

As I don't have membership right now, could someone post this for me on the main message board?

Hi Ratbeard! It's good to see you back! In response to your question:

What's something we could do to hook new players that existing players would also find engaging?
    A long-requested feature has been to implement a spectator mode for PVP. Currently, when players spectate matches in the spar chamber, they cannot see the board with the squares, cannot see the cards, and cannot see companion epics. A spectator mode would make it a lot easier for people to follow along with what's happening.

Along these lines, I think that in PVE as well, the UI should show more clearly what is happening. When an AI-controlled enemy uses Assassin Strike, the UI should clearly display what card they cast, instead of just showing the animation with the damage.

There also need to be rewards for participation, like the Aegon Statz quests and pvp quests in Wizard101.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (05-16-2019),Crushcut (05-16-2019),flash33 (05-15-2019),FusionSun (05-14-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019),luvs2sleepalot (05-15-2019),maple9300 (05-15-2019),Willowdreamer (05-14-2019)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post

As I don't have membership right now, could someone post this for me on the main message board?

A long-requested feature has been to implement a spectator mode for PVP. Currently, when players spectate matches in the spar chamber, they cannot see the board with the squares, cannot see the cards, and cannot see companion epics. A spectator mode would make it a lot easier for people to follow along with what's happening.

Along these lines, I think that in PVE as well, the UI should show more clearly what is happening. When an AI-controlled enemy uses Assassin Strike, the UI should clearly display what card they cast, instead of just showing the animation with the damage.

There also need to be rewards for participation, like the Aegon Statz quests and pvp quests in Wizard101.
    Submitted for you.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

HelpfulAuroraParker (05-15-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (05-14-2019),Stephanie (05-14-2019)

flash33 is offline Navigator

• flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Why limit it to just AI units when it can do the same for human controlled units as well also?

As for my suggestion to attract new players, well first of all bring back the OG cinematic that players used to see upon booting up the game. Currently it just shows a still shot animation of a flag with the Pirate101 logo on it with the opening theme playing. The OG cinematic gave a sense of the world being alive, so bringing that back would be great. While we're on the subject bringing back the ship tutorial segment would be great to help players not flounder around once they get their death trap-I mean ship-I mean raft.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flash33 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-16-2019),Stephanie (05-16-2019),Willowdreamer (05-15-2019)

HelpfulAuroraParker is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Creative

Quote Originally Posted by CompanionMechanics View Post
    :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O :O
    WELCOME BACK @Ratbeard! PIRATE101 IS BACK!!!
    Ratbeard? Yes. Pirate101... Not yet. But hopefully soon.

HelpfulAuroraParker's Guide to Pet Names

Helpful Aurora Parker, Level 70 Swashbuckler; Brave Kiley, Level 51 Buccaneer.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HelpfulAuroraParker For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-16-2019),Willowdreamer (05-15-2019)

ClockWork12 is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

The Spectator mode will do more good to this game then a new world or anything else . It may be hard for people to understand how or why it would and in all honesty its hard for me to explain it but i am sure it would prolong this game and give it a new spark it needs . One example is pet derby in wizard i was in as a pro player in pet derby for 7 years and it had great potential but ki never gave it a spectator mode like in wiz pvp and the derby part of the game died out and never took off like pvp did . It would surly give pirate101 a new meaning for many players and many people to join pirate101 . Its one of those things that has potential to change what the game has to offer which even a new world maybe wouldn't achieve , although we need a new world bad as well .In all at the end KI never learned how to calculate what the income/value would add up to from a update like spectator mode would do for the game and their company , which is why players input whats the best for the game never mattered to Ki , yet Ki has been wrong most of the time . A update like spectator mode to pirate pvp and pve would cover huge aspects of the game , game play and everything else that would bring to the table as means to expand to make more money over time for the KI company .KI also never learned that updates like this are the most important to keep the players they have engaged in the game or around and as something players like so more them join the game = this value to the game is very important overall but may not bring immediate income like a new hoard pack does yet when you lose the players and are not able to pick up new ones game dies out and so does the income from it .
    Last edited by ClockWork12; 05-16-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    P101 Eric West/W101C Jeremy5511

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ClockWork12 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (05-16-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-17-2019),luvs2sleepalot (05-16-2019),Stephanie (05-16-2019),Willowdreamer (05-16-2019)

luvs2sleepalot is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork12 View Post
    Hey! I like the idea not just of spectator to PVP but also a spectator mode to pet competitions!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to luvs2sleepalot For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (05-16-2019),Crushcut (05-16-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (05-17-2019),Stephanie (05-17-2019),Willowdreamer (05-17-2019)