My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Parting Shot activating twice?

Hello.

I was watching a Pirate101 stream recently and saw this happen.
    Parting Shot activating twice on the same enemy like this shouldn't happen.
    I know seeing this is definitely a first for me.
    Has anyone else witnessed this happening?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

CompanionMechanics (10-07-2019)

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Parting Shot activating twice?

I think it's just that very few musketeers train Parting Shot. Rank 2 of the Epic Talent says it can activate up to 3 times per turn.

http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki..._Shot_(Rank_2)

Double Tap and Burst Fire are much more popular.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-06-2019),Crushcut (08-09-2019),numbly1980 (08-09-2019),Tomas (10-06-2019)

Cody Nightblade is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I think it's just that very few musketeers train Parting Shot. Rank 2 of the Epic Talent says it can activate up to 3 times per turn.

http://www.pirate101central.com/wiki..._Shot_(Rank_2)

Double Tap and Burst Fire are much more popular.

Apologies for being late, but the problem is that it shouldn't activate twice on the same enemy disengaging at the same time.
    If Epics had the logic where they could activate multiple times on the same trigger, then Epics like Overwatch would activate twice or thrice on the enemy....

At 4 seconds, it is seen that Go Bo is trying to disengage.
    Parting Shot activates and hits for 313 damage.
    Burst Fire activates off Parting Shot for 584 damage.
    Parting Shot activates again at 0:09, but misses.

Notice how the camera didn't pan out before the second Parting Shot.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nightblade View Post
    Apologies for being late, but the problem is that it shouldn't activate twice on the same enemy disengaging at the same time.
    If Epics had the logic where they could activate multiple times on the same trigger, then Epics like Overwatch would activate twice or thrice on the enemy....

At 4 seconds, it is seen that Go Bo is trying to disengage.
    Parting Shot activates and hits for 313 damage.
    Burst Fire activates off Parting Shot for 584 damage.
    Parting Shot activates again at 0:09, but misses.

Notice how the camera didn't pan out before the second Parting Shot.
    @Ratbeard would know for sure. To me, activating twice on the same enemy seems like exactly how it should work. It's not very likely that several enemies would disengage from the same target during the same turn -- unless the summoned Hoplites always choose to take another position before attacking again?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

luvs2sleepalot (10-07-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

@Ratbeard would know for sure. To me, activating twice on the same enemy seems like exactly how it should work. It's not very likely that several enemies would disengage from the same target during the same turn -- unless the summoned Hoplites always choose to take another position before attacking again?

I think you're missing the point here.
    The Parting Shot Epic activated twice on Go Bo, one of the Terror-Cotta Warriors in the fight.
    Summoned Hoplites have nothing to do with this.

There aren't several enemies disengaging from Lazy Angel, the unit using Parting Shot, in the video I provided -- Go Bo is the only enemy unit that is disengaging from Lazy Angel in the footage provided by me, up to about 17 seconds into the video. (Only the first 17 seconds of the video are relevant in this discussion.)

Lastly, there aren't even any Hoplites in the video.

If by "Hoplites," you mean the Terror-Cotta Warriors, then here's a question for you:
    Do you think it's reasonable for Parting Shot 3 to activate twice on the same enemy at the exact same moment, disengaging at the exact same moment?
    Do you think that Parting Shot should activate twice, dealing 2 hits with a 70% base chance to activate Immobilize, instead of the one hit with the 35% chance to immobilize that it was likely intended to be?

Should Witch Hunter 3 proc twice on the same spell, giving two hits instead of one and potentially doubling the Resistance normally obtained?
    Should Blade Storm 5 proc twice on the same critical or enemy defeat, giving two hits instead of one and potentially double the Weapon Power it would normally?

You only have one chance when it comes to those Epics.
    If the game intended for there to be two activation procs instead of one, then the game's been effectively bugged, both PvP and PvE, and no one has reported it in the 7 years the game's been out.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nightblade View Post
    I think you're missing the point here.
    The Parting Shot Epic activated twice on Go Bo, one of the Terror-Cotta Warriors in the fight.
    Summoned Hoplites have nothing to do with this.

There aren't several enemies disengaging from Lazy Angel, the unit using Parting Shot, in the video I provided -- Go Bo is the only enemy unit that is disengaging from Lazy Angel in the footage provided by me, up to about 17 seconds into the video. (Only the first 17 seconds of the video are relevant in this discussion.)

Lastly, there aren't even any Hoplites in the video.

If by "Hoplites," you mean the Terror-Cotta Warriors, then here's a question for you:
    Do you think it's reasonable for Parting Shot 3 to activate twice on the same enemy at the exact same moment, disengaging at the exact same moment?
    Do you think that Parting Shot should activate twice, dealing 2 hits with a 70% base chance to activate Immobilize, instead of the one hit with the 35% chance to immobilize that it was likely intended to be?

Should Witch Hunter 3 proc twice on the same spell, giving two hits instead of one and potentially doubling the Resistance normally obtained?
    Should Blade Storm 5 proc twice on the same critical or enemy defeat, giving two hits instead of one and potentially double the Weapon Power it would normally?

You only have one chance when it comes to those Epics.
    If the game intended for there to be two activation procs instead of one, then the game's been effectively bugged, both PvP and PvE, and no one has reported it in the 7 years the game's been out.
    I guess I missed your point, and my mention of Hoplites was just an example of creatures that would tend to surround an enemy on one turn and then disengage before attacking again.

Deconstructing game mechanics is not my area.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-06-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

I guess I missed your point, and my mention of Hoplites was just an example of creatures that would tend to surround an enemy on one turn and then disengage before attacking again.

Deconstructing game mechanics is not my area.

I have constructed a flowchart for how I see Cheap Shot / Parting Shot / Coward's Bane working in the game:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P101 Cheap Shot _ Parting Shot _ Coward's Bane Flowchart.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	75910

(This was derived from years of experiencing and encountering those Epics in the game.)

First, the enemy unit attempts to disengage.
    This causes the unit with Cheap Shot / Parting Shot / Coward's Bane to attempt to attack with said Epic.
    The enemy unit may attempt to strike first with First Strike / Quick Draw / Coward's Bane, and resulting Epics may trigger.
    Then, the unit with Cheap Shot / etc. attacks with that Epic, and resulting Epics from that attack may trigger.
    Finally, the enemy disengages.

In the scenario provided by the video, the Terror-Cotta Warrior had no preemptive attacks for Parting Shot, so Parting Shot activated immediately once it attempted to disengage.

The problem with Parting Shot activating twice on the same trigger is that it doesn't make sense when you consider that the Epics usually only activate once per trigger.
    You don't see Cheap Shot / Parting Shot / Coward's Bane on the flowchart twice δΈ€ you only see it once.

I hope this helps you see what I mean when I say that Parting Shot shouldn't activate twice from the same unit on the same enemy from the same trigger.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (10-06-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Yeah I've seen this happen with Vengeance Strike also (where the enemy hit once but it activates twice) a couple of times on my Buccaneer. I never noticed that it happens after a chain epic and just assume it was a hidden mechanic involving Strength/Agility/Will, but it could be a bug in that case. @Ratbeard can you please clarify the issue here?
    Last edited by CompanionMechanics; 10-07-2019 at 12:51 AM.

Who said this game was easy?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompanionMechanics For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-07-2019),Willowdreamer (10-07-2019)