•  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

Re: yearly is long enough please

I've come to terms with the fact that I shouldn't be expecting so much from this game anymore in terms of new content, because if we ever get a new world it'll probably be as clunky and glitchy and probably as anti-climactic as Valencia 2. We only get updates because KI wants to say they still update it.

The skeleton key update did, yes, give us an old scratch promo and bosses....all reused from the previous models. In fact, that nightmare place is STILL so dark you can't even see and the players disappear in it. Plus no map; I can never sense where I go in that place. Also - Old Scratch fight was impossible, even for my witch doctor.

Although I CAN expect a tiny update this fall, I really don't know. What could they add that'll be as easy and time consuming as possible?

However, in saying this I won't be quitting, I'll probably never quit because I still feel I'm actually playing a game, not something over and over again. For example, combat is engaging with the battleboard and "what if I do this instead of that" whereas Wiz is just blade trap wait cast FIZZLE repeat.

Why did KI waste this game's potential? It's superior to Wiz in almost every way except updates. That's why I still play. Now I'm not advocating for others to stick to it still even though it is dead in this way, but I (and others) still find satisfaction whenever I log in, not overbearing boredom and exhaustion like wiz. That game's become so overrated and unrecognizable I just had to stop playing.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),Ravino (08-13-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-13-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Under the "Careers" section of Kingsisle Entertainment's website, if you click on any of the job descriptions posted, you will find this paragraph:
    Established in 2005, KingsIsle is a proven MMO hit-maker bringing our unique vision to mobile games. Our award-winning game Wizard101 is currently in its 11th year, and we recently released our latest mobile game "Animal Cove" for iOS and Android. We are driven by a spirit of innovation and experimentation across genres and themes.
    There is no mention of Pirate101, which means they are not hiring for Pirate101. They do still have some staff members who originally worked on Pirate101 (Decius, Ratbeard, and Blind Mew), but recently these people have been tasked with updating Wizard101. I can only hope that KI is in the middle of talks with some other company to sell Pirate101, because they clearly do not have the staff required to work on it themselves.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

axel125 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-14-2019),FusionSun (08-13-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-14-2019),monkeycrew (08-13-2019),Ravino (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie View Post
    Under the "Careers" section of Kingsisle Entertainment's website, if you click on any of the job descriptions posted, you will find this paragraph:

There is no mention of Pirate101, which means they are not hiring for Pirate101. They do still have some staff members who originally worked on Pirate101 (Decius, Ratbeard, and Blind Mew), but recently these people have been tasked with updating Wizard101. I can only hope that KI is in the middle of talks with some other company to sell Pirate101, because they clearly do not have the staff required to work on it themselves.
    In a recent Kingsisle Live, they mention they have an MMO team for both games, meaning Pirate 101 and Wizard 101 share an MMO team. They are hiring for both games at the same time when they hire for an MMO position. So why mention Wizard 101 but not Pirate 101? Because Wizard 101 has been played by 6 times more people than Pirate 101, and has been around longer so more people might recognize the name.
    Last edited by Willowdreamer; 08-13-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: removed outside link

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

I honestly think that there is someone at Kingsisle who simply does NOT care for Pirate101 and will not support it more than the bare minimum possible. This person (or people) doesn't have the power to actually kill the game dead because it is still holding its own revenue-wise, but they must be able to deny it resources at every turn. Conveniently forgetting to mention it, or include it in promotion, is par for the course. "Oh, yes, right - guess we do have that as well."

We've recently found out that there are spoilers indicating the next bundle for Wizard101 will be pirate-themed. To me, that says they're going to possibly absorb all of the Pirate101 resources they can into Wizard101, so I don't know how that would affect any attempt to sell the game to another company. Introducing a pirate-themed bundle into Wizard101 could also be a calculated promo attempt for Pirate101 to the wizarding audience, which they tried before with the Five B.O.X.E.S. event.

Can anyone tell me if I am wrong in recalling that Pirate101 won an award or two as well, back in the day?

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

axel125 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-14-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-14-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I honestly think that there is someone at Kingsisle who simply does NOT care for Pirate101 and will not support it more than the bare minimum possible. This person (or people) doesn't have the power to actually kill the game dead because it is still holding its own revenue-wise, but they must be able to deny it resources at every turn. Conveniently forgetting to mention it, or include it in promotion, is par for the course. "Oh, yes, right - guess we do have that as well."
    Personally I believe it's the opposite, there're people at KI who care about Pirate101 and want to give it as much as possible but they don't have the power to actually bring big resources into the game. Meanwhile the company's focus is on the successful Wizard101, the hanging-by-a-thread Animal Cove and the new project of Gloom Busters.

That's always the impression I've received from Blind Mew, Ratbeard and especially Decius. They want Pirate101 to thrive but that's no longer their task.

And many of us still speculate if KI leadership's decisions leading to mobile games and Pirate101's neglect were connected to the leave of J. Todd Coleman and more recently Josef Hall.

Can anyone tell me if I am wrong in recalling that Pirate101 won an award or two as well, back in the day?
    I'm sure we won at least one award...

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),monkeycrew (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Have to agree with Fiesty on this topic. As I've posted before, it feels like a duty to warn potential new players that 60 dollar membership in Pirate101 is no where near the value as a 60 dollar membership in Wizard101. If you've never played Pirate101, then I advise to "rent" the game at monthly rate, but I advise against "investing" in the game, due to the lack of reciprocity from KI.

Also, while KI might describe an "MMO team" and it might have been good intentions back in 2015, actions have clearly outlined there is a Wizard101 team that occasionally works on Pirate101 (to put in filler like Fiesty described).

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

axel125 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-14-2019),monkeycrew (08-13-2019),Ravino (08-13-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by monkeycrew View Post
    Why did KI waste this game's potential? It's superior to Wiz in almost every way except updates. That's why I still play. Now I'm not advocating for others to stick to it still even though it is dead in this way, but I (and others) still find satisfaction whenever I log in, not overbearing boredom and exhaustion like wiz. That game's become so overrated and unrecognizable I just had to stop playing.
    That's actually something a big question. By "normal" logic, it's easier to make money out of a well-established product than polishing a new potentially-great product to the spotlight... but that assumption walks into a conundrum when you consider KI neglected Pirate101 while feeding their misguided bet in the mobile market.

It's weird but not uncommon, you don't need to look very far into the business world to see reason isn't exactly the ruling principle. Time and time again there's the news of companies who made obviously stupid mistakes, there's even some interesting theories on why some business owners fall into the trap of betting everything in the "horse" least likely to win.

Alas, just theories. Companies tend to be too secretive to reveal its machinations and too proud to admit its mistakes, and so their motives tend to remain a mystery for all those not involved.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ravino For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),monkeycrew (08-13-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Ravino View Post
    Personally I believe it's the opposite, there're people at KI who care about Pirate101 and want to give it as much as possible but they don't have the power to actually bring big resources into the game. Meanwhile the company's focus is on the successful Wizard101, the hanging-by-a-thread Animal Cove and the new project of Gloom Busters.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying -- someone at Kingsisle is NOT giving those who want to update Pirate101 anything or any time to do so, instead giving them other work on Wizard101. With this attitude from those with the power, regular staffers can't really do much on their own.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019)

monkeycrew is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• monkeycrew's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Black Wolf Bowman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Bison Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Dreaming

If it makes it any better, they did not mention their games Rise and Destroy, AlphaCat, or Everclicker, which in Everclicker's case they desperately tried to hang on to (it was on Steam, right?).

Pirate-themed bundle could mean either this is a strategy to lure wiz people into pirate OR they are running out of ideas. idk just me.

Black Wolf Bowman Level 70/Dashing Seamus Bowman Level 70/Gruesome Sergio Bowman Level 70/Loyal Zane Bowman Level 70/India Bowman Level 70/Able Anna Urswick Level 70

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeycrew For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),Stephanie (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-13-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post

Pirate101 won MMORPG's Game of the Year award in 2012 and RTSGuru's Best Hybrid Strategy award.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-14-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-14-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-13-2019),Willowdreamer (08-14-2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast