•  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

What if KI just asks us for a monetary gift?

There's a petition going around that currently has over 350 signatures and is still growing as I type. Clearly, a lot of people want Pirate101 to be updated, but the higher-ups aren't bothering to invest money in Pirate101.

So here's what I'm wondering: What if KI just asks us to give money that will go directly toward the updating of Pirate101? Right now, I am not spending any money on KI games because A) I don't trust KI to use it on improving the one product that I care for; and B) my pirates are maxed, ranked pvp is dead, and there's nothing to subscribe for. But what if there was an option for me to give directly to a Pirate101 fund?

I'm thinking, for example, of gifts to a private university where you can specify exactly how you want your money to be used, even if it's just a small gift, like $10.

@Bat Masterson Is this something that could possibly be set up at all? And how much money do you guys need exactly to make a new world for Pirate101 and finish the story?
    Last edited by Stephanie; 08-14-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (08-15-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),GoldenGuardian (08-16-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-15-2019),monkeycrew (08-16-2019),RealDux (08-20-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (08-14-2019),Vice42 (08-15-2019),Willowdreamer (08-14-2019)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: What if KI just asks us for a monetary gift?

I had to think about this for a while. While I feel that all of the monies Pirate101 players have spent over the years should have been plenty, maybe that's just been enough to keep the servers running and the smaller updates we've seen. I honestly have no clue as to what creating a new world costs. It would be very interesting to know. I'd have to watch it again, but Falmea said in the recent KI Live that it takes about three months, wasn't it - to go from concept to test realm? Of course she was talking about Wizard101.

Would it be different from the Kickstarter campaign that some of us contributed to so many years ago now for J Todd Coleman's new game, Crowfall? There would have to be many more players like you, Stephanie, who aren't currently supporting the game at all, to change their minds and contribute -- more than 350? If people aren't willing to trust and support the Pirate101 game by purchasing a membership or Crowns, why would they trust that their "new world fund" would actually produce something?

Over the years, many of our former friends here said that by stopping their subscriptions and walking away they would be sending a message to the developers -- the message that the game wasn't worth their entertainment dollars. Heck - even CURRENT players say they cannot in good conscience advise others to pay for the game. It's rather a shame that we are in this self-perpetuating cycle, without demonstrable investment from Kingsisle to change the shrinking-playerbase trajectory.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-15-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-15-2019),monkeycrew (08-16-2019),Stephanie (08-15-2019)

ClockWork12 is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

If this doesn't say how badly update is needed for pirates idk what does. thank you for the post . And this is a yet another idea that players would and are willing to support KI if needed to advance the game and update it . Its on KI and KI only why pirate101 is neglected and continues to be .They need to read this post and realize its time they do something .They can ask players to buy a bundle similar to the beta bundle pirate101 kicked off with and I'm sure there is ton of other ideas and ways players would support for a new world if its needed .

Also if you can post a link to that petition so i can add my support to it as well, many ppl don't even know about it , like i didn't.
    Last edited by ClockWork12; 08-15-2019 at 05:18 PM.
    P101 Eric West/W101C Jeremy5511

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ClockWork12 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-15-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-15-2019),monkeycrew (08-16-2019),Stephanie (08-15-2019),Willowdreamer (08-15-2019)

luvs2sleepalot is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    Would it be different from the Kickstarter campaign that some of us contributed to so many years ago now for J Todd Coleman's new game, Crowfall?

That's still in Beta Testing is it not (after all these years) ?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luvs2sleepalot For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-15-2019),Willowdreamer (08-15-2019)

ClockWork12 is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by luvs2sleepalot View Post
    That's still in Beta Testing is it not (after all these years) ?[/FONT][/SIZE]
    i think so i actually sign up for crowfall and they still developing the game . Its one of the longest i heard of game that took this long and still hasn't fully started . From what i seen so far it is a very big game with new things , systems , mechanics but its talking so long and many people gave up on it and think of it as a failure because its taking forever to be finished.
    P101 Eric West/W101C Jeremy5511

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ClockWork12 For This Useful Post:

axel125 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-15-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-16-2019),monkeycrew (08-16-2019),Stephanie (08-15-2019),Willowdreamer (08-15-2019)

Stephanie is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Stephanie's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dandy Stephanie
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  The Speedy Dolphin
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWork12 View Post
    Also if you can post a link to that petition so i can add my support to it as well, many ppl don't even know about it , like i didn't.
    I don't think I'm allowed to since it's offsite. But if you search "pirate101 petition," you should find it very easily. The YouTubers KidouNaught and WizardToby have both posted about it.

I had to think about this for a while. While I feel that all of the monies Pirate101 players have spent over the years should have been plenty, maybe that's just been enough to keep the servers running and the smaller updates we've seen.
    I suspect that the money KI got from Pirate101 has been more than enough to keep developing Pirate101, but they squandered it and used it to create Everclicker, Rise & Destroy and other unpopular games instead.

Would it be different from the Kickstarter campaign that some of us contributed to so many years ago now for J Todd Coleman's new game, Crowfall? There would have to be many more players like you, Stephanie, who aren't currently supporting the game at all, to change their minds and contribute -- more than 350? If people aren't willing to trust and support the Pirate101 game by purchasing a membership or Crowns, why would they trust that their "new world fund" would actually produce something?
    Yes it would basically be like a Kickstarter, except it's not for kickstarting a new game, but for investing in an existing game.

I'm willing to give if KI promises that what they get from the campaign will go directly to Pirate101. I'm not sure how many other players feel the same way, but the reason we're boycotting KI games is that we're tired of seeing our money being squandered.

Over the years, many of our former friends here said that by stopping their subscriptions and walking away they would be sending a message to the developers -- the message that the game wasn't worth their entertainment dollars. Heck - even CURRENT players say they cannot in good conscience advise others to pay for the game.
    From what I understand, the hope was that by boycotting the game, we would make KI notice the gap between their initial profits and what they're currently earning from Pirate101, and make them realize just how badly they need to do something. But the boycott seems to be having the opposite effect. So I wonder if a fundraiser would change things at all.
    Stephanie Dawnheart in Wizard101 ⚫ Dandy Stephanie in Pirate101

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephanie For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (08-15-2019),Crushcut (08-15-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),Kingurz (08-16-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-16-2019),Willowdreamer (08-15-2019)

Crushcut is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Crushcut's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Octavio
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  [Is Unavailable]
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

i think so i actually sign up for crowfall and they still developing the game . Its one of the longest i heard of game that took this long and still hasn't fully started . From what i seen so far it is a very big game with new things , systems , mechanics but its talking so long and many people gave up on it and think of it as a failure because its taking forever to be finished.
    It's an ambitious, complex open world campaign session MMORPG. Patch 6.0 probably would be the last pre-Alpha patch they will do, and hopefully by the beginning of next year, we can have Alpha and the second half of 2020 will bring about the beta.

In regards to the topic of this thread, we need an actual promise Kingsisle will NOT turn their back on us from, but given the state of the company at the moment, the trust between the company and its players is rather shaky. So, who knows if any of the contributions can be provided to the correct source behind closed doors? We won't know, and given how obscure Kingsisle is with their developmental activities... it is rather difficult to say.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crushcut For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (08-16-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),luvs2sleepalot (08-16-2019),Willowdreamer (08-16-2019)

numbly1980 is offline Land Lubber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

petitions rarely work,Not buying crowns or memberships wont work either that has been done in past and hasn't worked. your best option is to travel to Austin,Texas find the building which holds the KI offices and start protesting.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to numbly1980 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-16-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),Stephanie (08-19-2019),Willowdreamer (08-16-2019)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Something tells me that if we could have a say in what our Pirate101 money actually goes to........the position at KI that comes up with new mobile game ideas, is out of job.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (08-16-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),morgrim dragonstaff (09-21-2019),Stephanie (08-19-2019),Willowdreamer (08-16-2019)

Khione is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• Khione's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Ruthless Jeremy Quincy
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  None of yo buisness
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Asleep

This is getting a bit off-topic from the original post but wanted to drop some clarification towards this so we can get back on track (my comment on the actual threads main topic is after this):

Crowfall is taking a long time because unlike most games that keep their inner pre-development (early Alpha and even pre-Alpha) stages under little public eye, they decided to be public from the very start. Every game usually begins development with a team/company around 1-2 years in advance for large scale projects like Crowfall. Just look at Nintendo's Gamefreak Pokemon franchise, back when Sun and Moon was announced we already were told the game coming out even after that was already in early phases which was about 2 years ago! In comparison to the amount of stuff that it takes with starting up a company from the ground up, I think you can piece together why Crowfall is still yet even in public beta. Another example of a game doing something similar to Crowfall is "The Bazaar" by a Hearthstone E-sports org owner (Tempostorm's Reynad) which hasn't even shown gameplay yet they announced and asked for kickstarters over a year ago and they still don't plan to have any playable demo until early 2020 or end of this year at earliest.

Ok so with that little topic answered let me give my 2 cents on the original topic;

Honestly, it depends on how they go about it. If at this point they just slap together a kickstarter type thing with no rewards or not even something monetarily valuable for giving them the money to do something that shouldn't be required and is only required because they dug themselves into this hole, no. I would rather let the game die then for them to revive it off the back of us doing their budgeting for them. We're not your accountant, sorry. Now if like one person pointed out had a bundle type deal like the beta-bundle for the swashbuckling cat type of deal, absolutely. One of the things I was happy about was that I got the boochbeard bundle (iirc was the name) not only got me hyped about the game but also I felt like I wasn't just tossing out money with no benefit. However, like I said. This shouldn't be required, even if they're dipping into money earned from Wizard101, they put themselves in this hole to begin with. Why should we the playerbase who have done everything from handing them a ladder to carrying them up it for the last 5+ years be obligated to now be their accountants, sponsors and shareholders. Its just a bad look. The only way I could see it working that way is if it was a small pledge type of deal, everyone puts in no more than 10$ and it gets done. At this point, KI needs to cut their losses somewhere and either dip into their Wiz savings account that they been focussed so dearly on to try to make Pirates have an actual future. Or it will just be a repeat, we get a "book 15" of like 3 hours of gameplay then they're like "that's good enough for the next 3 years, oh and make sure to save up to give us another 100$ to make another one. You don't need that new Pokemon game instead right?". Nope, I'm buying Pokemon Whatever and Whatsoever instead because all it makes me wonder is, where is the well over $1,000 I've spent on the lifetime I've played this game gone already as well as the countless others? The reality is, keeping up a server doesn't cost that much. Mostly when it's shared with the Wizard101 server anyway which definitely makes more than profit. It has to have gone somewhere and clearly it HAS NOT been put to good use. So how can I trust this company that has been blatently lying to us for so long on many accounts. They can't even be transparent about the simplist stuff. It's heartbreaking to say all this, but being controlled and mannered about it isn't going to get anywhere anymore. If the company wants to keep going the "we're totally working on something (but not really we just dont care and will lie to you upfront about it)" approach then that's fine, I'll just do the ol' fashion let me go play a game run by a company that actually cares about their game and wants to constantly improve it and make money off of actual good content rather then sucking our players dry and thinking about the rest after.

Lvl 65 Witchdoctor Sneaky Jeremy Silver l Musketeer Bloody Jeremy Everhart l SwashBuckler Jeremy Everhart
    Buccaneer Reckless Jeremy Quincy l Privateer ​John Walker

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Khione For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (08-17-2019),Crushcut (08-16-2019),FusionSun (08-18-2019),GoldenGuardian (08-16-2019),Kingurz (08-17-2019),Stephanie (08-19-2019),Willowdreamer (08-17-2019)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast