Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

The Ship Cabin Glitch Could Be Costing Kingsisle $109,375.00 Per Day!

I am making this thread because I was talking with a family member tonight about the upcoming Pirate 101 update and the ship cabin glitch got brought up. Now most of you know what this glitch is and how it is done but if you don't I will explain what the glitch is now (but not how it is done, as our community manager has said don't excessively do it). So what this glitch is, is a way to "respawn" a boss fight so you can do it again within 3 minutes without having to pay for a second chance chest. Now I have no idea how many people do this glitch, but I do believe 5 years ago Pirate 101 had 6 million active players. I don't know how many players are still active, but for this estimate I estimated 25,000 logins per day. If only 25,000 logins happened in Pirate 101 per day, and each time 1 of those logins occurred, 1 pirate ran a boss (where the ship cabin glitch works, and with a second chance chest), and after each boss run the pirate did the ship cabin glitch just 3 times, Kingsisle would lose $109,375.00 per day. You read that right, over one hundred thousand dollars in losses a day. How I got to that number is I took 25,000 logins and multiplied it by 350 crowns each (if the ship cabin glitch was patched, that would mean the pirate would have to buy 3 second chance chests for 50, 100, and then 200 crowns, for a total of 350 crowns (don't quote me on that), and 3 second chance chests would be a reasonable number to buy if the ship cabin glitch didn't exist), and then divided that number by the cost of the crowns, and it came out to Kingsisle Entertainment losing $109,375.00 per day, which would be $1,531,250.00 every 2 weeks! You read that right, over one million five hundred thousand dollars in losses every 2 weeks!

If all 25,000 pirates just bought 3 second chance chests every single day Kingsisle Entertainment would make $3,062,500.00 to $3,390,625.00 a month, and right now they are potentially losing that much money. No wonder we aren't getting a new world, whoever is regularly using the ship cabin glitch is bankrupting them.

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

ClockWork12 is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Re: The Ship Cabin Glitch Could Be Costing Kingsisle $109,375.00 Per Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    I am making this thread because I was talking with a family member tonight about the upcoming Pirate 101 update and the ship cabin glitch got brought up. Now most of you know what this glitch is and how it is done but if you don't I will explain what the glitch is now (but not how it is done, as our community manager has said don't excessively do it). So what this glitch is, is a way to "respawn" a boss fight so you can do it again within 3 minutes without having to pay for a second chance chest. Now I have no idea how many people do this glitch, but I do believe 5 years ago Pirate 101 had 6 million active players. I don't know how many players are still active, but for this estimate I estimated 25,000 logins per day. If only 25,000 logins happened in Pirate 101 per day, and each time 1 of those logins occurred, 1 pirate ran a boss (where the ship cabin glitch works, and with a second chance chest), and after each boss run the pirate did the ship cabin glitch just 3 times, Kingsisle would lose $109,375.00 per day. You read that right, over one hundred thousand dollars in losses a day. How I got to that number is I took 25,000 logins and multiplied it by 350 crowns each (if the ship cabin glitch was patched, that would mean the pirate would have to buy 3 second chance chests for 50, 100, and then 200 crowns, for a total of 350 crowns (don't quote me on that), and 3 second chance chests would be a reasonable number to buy if the ship cabin glitch didn't exist), and then divided that number by the cost of the crowns, and it came out to Kingsisle Entertainment losing $109,375.00 per day, which would be $1,531,250.00 every 2 weeks! You read that right, over one million five hundred thousand dollars in losses every 2 weeks!

If all 25,000 pirates just bought 3 second chance chests every single day Kingsisle Entertainment would make $3,062,500.00 to $3,390,625.00 a month, and right now they are potentially losing that much money. No wonder we aren't getting a new world, whoever is regularly using the ship cabin glitch is bankrupting them.
    Honesty i think its not costing them a dime considering how we keep playing and paying for things for years no updates to the game. And the second chance chest just makes them even more money because people use it allot while doing the cabin glitch because it resets .When the price is high ppl wouldn't use it at all .I think they are making money not losing we as players are losing money on crowns and drops in the game with such a low drop rate , if the drop rate was decent people wouldn't have to farm for months 1 item and waste ton of money on second chance chests and memberships and other things.I would say they are ripping ppl off for a dead game and just collecting free money.If anything i think they should of made this game membership free years ago when they stop updates.

And most people probably wouldn't say this in a ugly way /harsh way i did but this is how i feel as a costumer and the player from the way KI treated this game and its players .And i believe so many other players may feel the same way but not say it in a way i did. They are unwilling to do the most simple things for the players or the game -and that for me is hurtful . What i don't understand is why neglect pirate101 and its players so bad while the game has so much potential to make money and be a good game to players .
    Last edited by ClockWork12; 10-01-2019 at 03:48 AM.
    P101 Eric West/W101C Jeremy5511

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ClockWork12 For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-12-2019),Crushcut (10-04-2019),FusionSun (10-02-2019),GoldenGuardian (10-01-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-01-2019),luvs2sleepalot (10-01-2019),Patrick. (10-01-2019),Ravino (10-01-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (10-01-2019)

GoldenGuardian is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• GoldenGuardian's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dread-Admiral Hawkins
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  9-Gear Machine o'War
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Worried

Your assumptions are fairly strict. I know you are estimating, but even then you need data to properly estimate- data that only KI has access to.

By it's nature, the cabin glitch is utilized primarily to minimize time costs and increase the chances of obtaining boss loot. People seek shortcuts. The other alternative that minimizes time costs is the second chance chest, however, unlike the free and readily available exploit of cabin glitching, in this method time is exchanged for actual money. There is one other notable difference, whilst the cabin glitch may save an hour or so, second chance chests are near-instantaneous and significantly reduce time costs. This is something everyone can agree on.

Now the following three points relating to people's behavior are empirical and personal observations, and when it comes to the matter of farming and profit I think they are important to note:

1.) Some people do not want to spend extra money on the game. Perhaps they are frugal, or do not have the funds, but they ultimately value their finances and are not going to risk it on (usually worthless) second chance chests. They would not use this route, as there is a pirce associated with saving time. Instead these players would rather grind and repeat. If such players cabin glitch, then it does not really affect KI at all, as they would have never have spent money on second chance chests anyway. Most people I meet tend to be more akin to the playing style described here, than in the following case below.

2.) Some people have an obsessive desire for obtaining boss items. To them, it is a need. They are the victims of consumer culture. They will cabin glitch for a bit, but eventually, that won't be enough. To them, even cabin glitching will take to long. They want the boss loot, and they want it immediately. Thus they will waste more than 500 000 crowns on a second chest in one shot, because as mentioned, the second chance chest is instantaneous. This is a true story [thankfully, the player who spent this much seems to be doing much better now, is no longer a victim of consumer culture, and I am very happy for them]. Even with cabin glitching, these players use the second chance chest to a high degree. The second chance chest is meant for such players by design. These players are often few in nature, I do not see many like them.

3.) What Clockwork12/ Eric West said is very interesting. Cabin Glitching could in fact generate revenue from second chance chests under the conditions he outlined.

Obviously, not everyone falls into these three categories. Some people are even between these categories, spending an appropriate amount of money on second chance chests. There are lots of cases to consider, so I won't outline them all. But the two cases I have mentioned alongside Clockworks point outline one important thing, cabin glitching does not completely destroy the profits of KI's second chance chest system.

Now let us continue with your example. Consider these potential issues:

-25 000 logins a day. How many of these log ins actually do dungeons with cabin glitching? You assume all of them do so, three times a day. This is very strict. Some people actually PvP, do house decorating, work with pets, hang with friends etc, and may not actually do any dungeon at all for many days.

-Out of those who do dungeons, how many fall into the cases I have listed above? Perhaps some people wont even do cabin glitching or second chance chests at all.

-Who is logging in? They maybe level 10 players who play the game and chat in the court for two months before getting bored. They maybe kids with 1 hour of computer time who decide to do a quick run of Kane for the day, with NO cabin glitching.

There are more issues to consider as well, but due to time, wont be listing them

-------------------------------------------------------------

And one final note. Cabin Glitching does result in losses in certain cases, that is undeniable, but overall your claims are very inflated. Such high figures suggest that it was cabin glitching that was the main catalyst for the spirals demise. But it is KI's mismanagement that functioned as the critical instrument leading to the sorry state of affairs we are in today- this mismanagement even includes their inability to fix the cabin glitch.
    Last edited by GoldenGuardian; 10-01-2019 at 06:57 AM.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to GoldenGuardian For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (10-01-2019),Cody Nightblade (10-12-2019),Crushcut (10-04-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-01-2019),Patrick. (10-01-2019),Ravino (10-01-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (10-01-2019)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

25,000 logins per day is an insane over-estimate in my opinion. Furthermore, this assumes that these 25,000 logins are all high level pirates, that have membership or zones purchased, that need to farm a particular subset of items (essentially Moo, Dread, Kane, and a handful of other assorted bosses), and that know how to use this glitch. I'd be shocked if the number of people in that fall into all of these categories is over 1,000, let alone anywhere near 25,000. Of those people, I highly doubt that all of them are online and farming on a daily basis (a lot of the are PvPers who will spend time doing PvP combat instead of farming, or they'll quest other pirates, run dungeons like the smuggler's arena, or just hang out in Avery's Court). On top of that, you're assuming that these people who are using the cabin glitch would be willing to hit a second chance chest 3 times to compensate for lacking the cabin glitch, should it be patched. This is a bad assumption. My guess is that if it was patched, people would just go back to the old methods of farming, rather than spamming a second chance chest to compensate.

To be blunt, the reason that pirate isn't getting updated and wiz is getting update is simple economics. To maximize profit, Kingsisle needs to invest amounts of time/money into each game such that the marginal revenue obtained from each game is equal. Pirate has fewer players, makes less money, so KI invests less time. Wiz has more players, makes more money, so KI invests more into wiz. The MR's are equal. It's unfortunate, but it makes sense fiscally.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mathew For This Useful Post:

ClockWork12 (10-01-2019),Cody Nightblade (10-12-2019),Crushcut (10-04-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-01-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (10-01-2019)

Patrick. is offline Deckhand

• Patrick.'s Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Patrick
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Daring

yeah i'd have to agree that it probably makes them more money. a lot of people probably won't roll much more than once anyways, or won't roll if it costs more than 50.

spending crowns they would not have otherwise spent = profit

also, considering how low the drop rates for things in this game are (in place of content to give us something to do) makes me not feel bad about doing the glitch lol. especially since we still have to do the fight again anyways, i don't see it as that huge of a problem

it's hard to find a group (and the fights worth resetting usually need a group) that resets more than 2-3 times. if i could find a group to reset for 5-10 then it might be exploitative imo, but that would probably be so rare that it's not a big problem
    Last edited by Patrick.; 10-01-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    Level 65 Swashbuckler, Musketeer, Privateer, and Buccaneer. @epicpatrick1234

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Patrick. For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-12-2019),Crushcut (10-04-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (10-01-2019)

sparticus32 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• sparticus32's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  jack nightingale
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Spiral Galleon, MB
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

before I say anything yes I did cabin a bunch before it was a banable offense and I am only speaking for myself and no one else. First, those numbers seem a bit high. and second, when I would cabin I felt like spending more. I felt like buying crowns for the 2nd chance chest and buying a member for bosses I wanted stuff from. those are thoughts I never would have had if cabin was never a thing. Also, I don't think banning cabin will solve anything since there are other ways that do basically the same thing and have been around before cabin glitching. I myself used one such way while farming rooke and it allowed me to skip right to the rooke fight. This was before ship cabins were even a thought as well. My point is in some cases it can make them money and there are ways to achieve the same thing so even if they do fix it and ban people it wont solve anything or make them lose a ton of money.
    every person collects something be it stamps or rare books, I on the other hand collect golden chickens...and that my friends, is the true meaning of Christmas. *cough* crazy person *cough*Credit to Doom-N-Gloomy for my amazing avatar

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparticus32 For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (10-12-2019),HelpfulAuroraParker (10-01-2019),Rrrrzzzz419 (10-01-2019)

Varys is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Your numbers are way overinflated but boy do I wish they were accurate and godspeed to those brave heroes for ransacking KI for all it's worth. I wish I could've partaken.
    Last edited by Varys; 10-01-2019 at 05:06 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Varys For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (10-04-2019)

Robobot1747 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Robobot1747's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Two-Faced Timothy Thompson
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Twisted

This assumes that each pirate that does this would have bought 3 second chance chest rolls. Do you have any data to back up this assumption? (which frankly seems rather far-fetched to me)
    I AM A WITCHDOCTOR WITH A MINIGUN

WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Robobot1747 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (10-04-2019)

ToonTown565 is offline Rookie
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• ToonTown565's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Two Faced Terry Cog
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilian
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

are u okay
    3/5 Characters maxxed

sarcasticjoseph is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bored

I do believe 5 years ago Pirate 101 had 6 million active players
    If pirate101 had 6 million players, they'd be pretty rich. Probably rich enough to afford all their games. Especially when you consider wizard101 has always had a bigger community then pirate101. I highly doubt pirate101 and wizard101 together =6 million. It takes about 100-200 people to fill a realm. I've only ever seen 4 full realms and 2-6 full areas on pirate101 in 2014. Then you still had other realms pretty close to full. So i highly doubt 6 million, and i highly doubt 3 million. If I'm wrong someone correct me, but i don't think pirate101 had 6 million. Maybe if you combined all of kingsisles games and players? Just confused on why this dude is so sure it was 6 million. If I'm wrong, can someone please explain?

PIZZA! PIZZA! PIZZA!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast