PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

Water Guardian's Staff question

Hello there.

I recently got the Water Guardian's Staff.

I went to edit the wiki page for it (and updated the trade status).
    However, I was not sure how the damage should be noted.
    Sure, note what the item says its Weapon Power is, but I feel like we should be noting what kind of damage (Physical / Magical) basic attacks with it deal.

I'd like to know whether it'd be worth noting what kind of damage our Weapons deal.

Here's a picture of the item when I got it:

Name:  Picture 2020-05-30 10-17-28-247.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  107.5 KB

Note that it only states Base Weapon Power instead of Physical Damage). (as it should deal Physical Damage, according to the older records of the item from the wiki.

This Weapon trait determines what kind of damage certain Powers like Assassin's Strike and Super Strike deal, so I think it'd be nice to know (although enemies typically don't get enough Armor or Resist to affect it significantly).
    Last edited by Cody Nightblade; 06-01-2020 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typo.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (06-02-2020)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Water Guardian's Staff question

I'm all for the wiki having as much helpful information as possible. Being a Smashy type of weapon rather than Staffy pretty much dictates that it would do physical damage. Are you suggesting that the weapon type is confusing, and we need another, separate field to indicate Physical versus Magical damage?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (06-02-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    I'm all for the wiki having as much helpful information as possible. Being a Smashy type of weapon rather than Staffy pretty much dictates that it would do physical damage. Are you suggesting that the weapon type is confusing, and we need another, separate field to indicate Physical versus Magical damage?

Ah, that's not the reason I'm questioning whether we should note Physical / Magical damage on the wiki pages.
    I'm asking because the game has 2 main types of damage for basic attacks ー Physical and Magical ー which used to be noted in-game on the weapons (but aren't now).

The weapon type has nothing to do with this.
    (In fact, the Farfalla Staff is a Smashy weapon and does Physical Damage, despite being a staff given its name.)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (06-02-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nightblade View Post
    Ah, that's not the reason I'm questioning whether we should note Physical / Magical damage on the wiki pages.
    I'm asking because the game has 2 main types of damage for basic attacks ー Physical and Magical ー which used to be noted in-game on the weapons (but aren't now).

The weapon type has nothing to do with this.
    (In fact, the Farfalla Staff is a Smashy weapon and does Physical Damage, despite being a staff given its name.)
    Weapon type has a lot to do with what type of damage it does, I think. Are you saying that because the weapon description in-game no longer indicates the type of damage, we should note the damage type on the wiki page?

Just because a weapon is called a staff, unless it is classified as a Staffy weapon it can do physical damage. Naming conventions have never meant much to Kingsisle -- there are many item names which contain words that mean something different than what the actual item is. We all thought that over the years such things would be corrected, but... no.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (06-02-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

Weapon type has a lot to do with what type of damage it does, I think. Are you saying that because the weapon description in-game no longer indicates the type of damage, we should note the damage type on the wiki page?

Just because a weapon is called a staff, unless it is classified as a Staffy weapon it can do physical damage. Naming conventions have never meant much to Kingsisle -- there are many item names which contain words that mean something different than what the actual item is. We all thought that over the years such things would be corrected, but... no.

Fair point.

We do have things like the Standard Bearer's Coat, which is both a hat and a robe (for some odd reason), after all.

The main point isn't really about comparing item names to what they are / do, though.
    It's discussing whether weapons should note what kind of Damage (Physical / Magical) the weapon deals with a basic attack.

Take, for example, the Imperial Crossbow.
    It's a Shooty weapon that does Physical Damage, which is not common for Shooty weapons.

Another example would be the Kraven Blade (Level 70+ ver.).
    Even though it's a Slashy / Smashy weapon, it does Magical Damage, which is uncommon for most Slashy / Smashy weapons (or Smashy / Slashy, for that matter).

Also, all Haywire weapons do Magical Damage, regardless of their Weapon type (whether it be Shooty / Slashy, Smashy / Stabby, Staffy, etc.).

In the case of Shooty / Slashy weapons, only a few of them deal Magical Damage (the only one I can think of is the Haywire Swashbuckler Set ー which isn't even partly Stabby ー but I wouldn't be surprised if there were other Magical-Damage Shooty / Slashy weapons).
    A similar case ー Shooty / Stabby weapons ー the only one I can think of off the top of my head that deals Magical Damage would be the Haywire Armada Blade, although I wouldn't be surprised if there were any others.

Several Shooty weapons deal Physical Damage as well (mostly crossbow-type Shooty weapons).

As such, I state that Weapon type, while usually a good indicator of the type of Damage it deals, is not completely accurate.
    That is why I was asking if it'd be worth noting on the wiki, as the older versions of wiki pages noted these Damage types back before Pirate101's combat changed significantly (around 2014, iirc, when Strength / Agility / Will was changed from +1 WP every 5 pts. to +1% WP every 5 pts.), but recent wiki pages do not seem to note these Damage types at all, despite the game's potentially significant use of them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (06-03-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Nightblade View Post
    As such, I state that Weapon type, while usually a good indicator of the type of Damage it deals, is not completely accurate.
    That is why I was asking if it'd be worth noting on the wiki, as the older versions of wiki pages noted these Damage types back before Pirate101's combat changed significantly (around 2014, iirc, when Strength / Agility / Will was changed from +1 WP every 5 pts. to +1% WP every 5 pts.), but recent wiki pages do not seem to note these Damage types at all, despite the game's potentially significant use of them.
    I'm not disagreeing that having the damage type included on the weapon's page is a great idea, I'm just questioning implementation. Are you asking for a new field on the template for the Damage Type? Or are you proposing all weapon pages be updated to include the damage type after the weapon power stat, as was the method in the past?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (06-03-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Tired

I'm not disagreeing that having the damage type included on the weapon's page is a great idea, I'm just questioning implementation. Are you asking for a new field on the template for the Damage Type? Or are you proposing all weapon pages be updated to include the damage type after the weapon power stat, as was the method in the past?

Ah, okay.
    I'm thinking that noting weapons' Damage type could be easily done by putting it next to the weapon's Weapon Power (to the right of the number).
    I don't think a new field is necessary for the Damage type.
    Last edited by Cody Nightblade; 06-03-2020 at 08:37 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cody Nightblade For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (06-03-2020)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I wonder why KI would remove damage type from the tool tip?

This conversation reminds me about the request several years ago to bring the Wizard101 gear sets over to Pirate101. Imagine you are facing a magical creature...you could switch to a physical weapon and magical resist gear with a single click. Vice versa for an armored/physical creature (switch to magical or armor piercing weapons, etc).

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (06-03-2020),Crushcut (06-03-2020),Willowdreamer (06-03-2020)