•  Ship Type:
      •  [Is Unavailable]
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

Chinese New Year, no sale for the decade?

It's been SEVERAL years since we had a Zodiac animal sale for Chinese/Lunar New Year for Pirate101. These Zodiac animal sales would be an ample time people can buy particular companions and other crowns shop goodies on sale. With Lunar New Year around the corner this week, it makes me ponder if it STILL slips the Pirate101 team's mind to even do one this year.

Any insight? @Bat Masterson @Virtuous Vanessa

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Crushcut For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (01-24-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Phenoixblizzard (01-22-2020),Willowdreamer (01-22-2020)

Willowdreamer is online now Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Chinese New Year, no sale for the decade?

Quote Originally Posted by Crushcut View Post
    It's been SEVERAL years since we had a Zodiac animal sale for Chinese/Lunar New Year for Pirate101. These Zodiac animal sales would be an ample time people can buy particular companions and other crowns shop goodies on sale. With Lunar New Year around the corner this week, it makes me ponder if it STILL slips the Pirate101 team's mind to even do one this year.

True - the Year of the Rat would have been a great opportunity for such a promotion. I fear that it is NO ONE's job to promote Pirate101 anymore... except fans.

Malik, the Rat Brigand, is almost unheard of.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Cody Nightblade (01-24-2020),Crushcut (01-22-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Phenoixblizzard (01-22-2020)

Crushcut is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer

• Crushcut's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Octavio
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Privateer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  [Is Unavailable]
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bookworm

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    True - the Year of the Rat would have been a great opportunity for such a promotion. I fear that it is NO ONE's job to promote Pirate101 anymore... except fans.

Malik, the Rat Brigand, is almost unheard of.

Agreed. Wizard101 has special Mooshu gear from bundles and packs we could have as temporary event gear in the crowns shop here. As far as I know, this weekend would ALSO be a great opportunity to get Verminius Blightbeard and Lucy Sterling on sale, too

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crushcut For This Useful Post:

FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Willowdreamer (01-22-2020)

Kingurz is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Crushcut View Post

I'm pretty sure Pirate101, as a whole, slips the "MMO team" minds until just a couple of months before the annual (main) update for Pirate101 that occurs in October.
    Last edited by Kingurz; 01-25-2020 at 09:48 AM.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (01-25-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Rrrrzzzz419 (02-01-2020),Willowdreamer (01-25-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kingurz View Post
    I'm pretty sure Pirate101, as a whole, slips the "MMO team" minds until just a couple of months before the annual (main) update for Pirate101 that occurs in October.
    There certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of planning calendar for Pirate101, which was certainly the case in the early days of the game. I remember fondly the odd holiday freebies that would appear via social media and the Tradewinds Tribune -- just a free pet snack for National Donut Day or whatever -- something that at least indicated someone was thinking of tossing a bone to the Pirate101 players.

The MMO team is obviously heavily involved in the complicated and extensive "events" that are the new normal in Wizard101, and which are constantly being updated and revised. The Beastmoon Hunt alone looks like a full-time job for @Ratbeard, much less the every-school Deckathalons and pack-of-the-month work. They may very well be "thinking" about doing something pirate-wise, but does this MMO Team ever really get time to? The newest pack for Pirate101 had to be a joint release with Wizard101 at the same time, for Pete's sake.

@Bat Masterson posted the following on the main message boards, for those of you who don't visit there:

I wanted to jump in here and alleviate your concerns about this.

We have no intention right now to close down Pirate101. The game is a foundation of our community, even if the population is lower than Wizard101 and what we all would like to see it be. We love Pirate101 and are going to keep it going and build upon it as long as we can, given the resources that we have for it.

I sure love sailing my ships around the skyways! That part alone is something worth keeping imo.

"No intention right now" -- "as long as we can, given the resources" --

There really isn't a lack of ideas -- the original Pirate101 team and our community has been providing them for years. Only Kingsisle MANAGEMENT can direct the resources needed, but sadly there is no evidence that they are inclined to do so. Have they actually been charting a course for us, or just sailing in circles?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (01-25-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Kingurz (01-26-2020),RealDux (02-02-2020),Rrrrzzzz419 (02-01-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

There certainly doesn't appear to be any sort of planning calendar for Pirate101, which was certainly the case in the early days of the game. I remember fondly the odd holiday freebies that would appear via social media and the Tradewinds Tribune -- just a free pet snack for National Donut Day or whatever -- something that at least indicated someone was thinking of tossing a bone to the Pirate101 players.

The MMO team is obviously heavily involved in the complicated and extensive "events" that are the new normal in Wizard101, and which are constantly being updated and revised. The Beastmoon Hunt alone looks like a full-time job for @Ratbeard, much less the every-school Deckathalons and pack-of-the-month work. They may very well be "thinking" about doing something pirate-wise, but does this MMO Team ever really get time to? The newest pack for Pirate101 had to be a joint release with Wizard101 at the same time, for Pete's sake.

@Bat Masterson posted the following on the main message boards, for those of you who don't visit there:
    I wanted to jump in here and alleviate your concerns about this.

We have no intention right now to close down Pirate101. The game is a foundation of our community, even if the population is lower than Wizard101 and what we all would like to see it be. We love Pirate101 and are going to keep it going and build upon it as long as we can, given the resources that we have for it.

I sure love sailing my ships around the skyways! That part alone is something worth keeping imo.

"No intention right now" -- "as long as we can, given the resources" --

There really isn't a lack of ideas -- the original Pirate101 team and our community has been providing them for years. Only Kingsisle MANAGEMENT can direct the resources needed, but sadly there is no evidence that they are inclined to do so. Have they actually been charting a course for us, or just sailing in circles?

Yeah, I've seen those posts several times from KI (to include on their mobile titles, which haven't had a story update in months either....and the story is in the middle of a chapter!). It's always in response to someone asking if "x" will be shut down. While it is nice to know games outside of Wizard101 will not be shutting down any time soon, it doesn't really address the general direction of the non-Wizard101 games. It's almost as if these games are treated as non-MMORPG games and more like console/offline games. Where the intended purpose is to simply let new consumers play their titles, spend a bit of money on mounts, cosmetics.....but not really attempt to retain players beyond that experience (i.e. treat Pirate101 players like a typical mobile game). There is no "hook" to keep the Pirate101 consumers coming back for more, except maybe one or two months of the year.

Outside of the actual technical requirements to run Pirate101 as an MMO, it seems like Pirate101 is ran under the Mobile team management/standards/direction.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (01-27-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020),HelpfulAuroraParker (01-26-2020),Willowdreamer (01-26-2020)

Rrrrzzzz419 is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Kingurz View Post
    Yeah, I've seen those posts several times from KI (to include on their mobile titles, which haven't had a story update in months either....and the story is in the middle of a chapter!). It's always in response to someone asking if "x" will be shut down. While it is nice to know games outside of Wizard101 will not be shutting down any time soon, it doesn't really address the general direction of the non-Wizard101 games. It's almost as if these games are treated as non-MMORPG games and more like console/offline games. Where the intended purpose is to simply let new consumers play their titles, spend a bit of money on mounts, cosmetics.....but not really attempt to retain players beyond that experience (i.e. treat Pirate101 players like a typical mobile game). There is no "hook" to keep the Pirate101 consumers coming back for more, except maybe one or two months of the year.

Outside of the actual technical requirements to run Pirate101 as an MMO, it seems like Pirate101 is ran under the Mobile team management/standards/direction.
    If Pirate101 was run by the mobile team, they would be pushing out 2-3 updates per year, think about how many mobile games Kingsisle has released.

Captains Of The #TrollPatrol. Avatar (Me) made by Sock from Super Happy Fun Times. Profile and Signature picture (My Pirates) made by @HelpfulAuroraParker.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rrrrzzzz419 For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (02-02-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Quote Originally Posted by Rrrrzzzz419 View Post
    If Pirate101 was run by the mobile team, they would be pushing out 2-3 updates per year, think about how many mobile games Kingsisle has released.
    I don't keep up with mobile game news, and they haven't included mobile games on the KI Live broadcasts for a long, long time. I honestly thought maybe the mobile game side of things was winding down...

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Crushcut (02-02-2020),FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

I don't keep up with mobile game news, and they haven't included mobile games on the KI Live broadcasts for a long, long time. I honestly thought maybe the mobile game side of things was winding down...

The last mobile game update was December 2018.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingurz For This Useful Post:

FearlessGriffinD (02-18-2020)