•  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Companion Concept: Wharf Rat Rake.

In Pirate101 there is an enemy called the Wharf Rat Rake that is very unique. How so? Well despite being of the Swashbuckler class they function as ranged units and have only ranged epics like Parting Shot and Double Tap. They’re also unique in that they deal magic damage rather than physical damage. While it’s not unusual to see Privateers with only ranged epics since they can be either melee or ranged, it is unusual to see Swashbucklers (a normally physical melee only class) function like this. I’ve always thought it’d be neat if we could have this creature on our team as a Companion. In this post I’ll be providing my own concept of what such a Companion could be like.

INFO
    Name: Johnny Blue.
    Class: Swashbuckler.
    Starting Title: Wharf Rat Rake (3 range).
    Obtainable Location: Skull Island.
    Quest Obtained In: "The Aftermath" (side).
    Prerequisite: Clear the quests "The Rat Pack Must Pay!" (side) and "Oh, That Map..." (main).
    Damage Type: Magical.
    Starting Level: 2 higher than Pirate.
    Starting Epics: Pirate 1, Parting Shot 1, Double Tap 1.
    Starting Powers: Epic Strike (Ranged), Snap Shot, Twin Trouble (summon 2 Wharf Rat Squirts (Swashbuckler, Pirate 1, Cheap Shot 1, Blade Storm 1)).
    Learnable Epics Upon Recruitment: 2.
    Promotions (each one granting +1 attack range): Wharf Rat Slice (lv.25), Wharf Rat Maul (lv.35).
    Learnable Epics Upon Promotion: 2 each.
    Learnable Epics: Double Tap 2/3, Parting Shot 2/3, Burst Fire 1/2/3, Return Fire 1/2/3, Quick Draw 1/2/3, Overwatch 1/2/3.
    Learnable Talents: Tough 1-4, Rough 1-4, Agile 1-4, Armored 1-4, Resistant 1-4, Accurate 1-4, Dodgy 1-4, Scavenger 1-3, Scrapper 1-3, Brawler, Cannoneer, Pet Wrangler.

BACKSTORY
    After The Rat Pack disbanded its members scattered to the various corners of Skull Island. Some time later however, the Frogfather learns of a report that the Rats in Scrimshaw are making movements that he finds troubling, such as interrogating and sometimes even assaulting anyone who tries to enter or leave Scrimshaw. He feels it has something to do with Marco Pollo’s map, and he wants you to meet up with an informant of his and investigate as part of a favor. Before you go he hands you a special doubloon with a frog emblem on it and that when being interrogated to show the rats that while also saying the phrase “I borrowed this doubloon from an old croaker and am just here to return it to them.” Doing those will let the informant know the Frogfather sent you without arousing too much suspicion (Quest: The Rat Pack Strikes Back!).

Upon arriving in Scrimshaw two Wharf Rat Squirts and a Wharf Rat Rake stop you and demand to know what you’re doing there. After reciting the phrase and showing the doubloon they demand you come with them to a special hut so they can question you more.

Upon arriving in the hut they reveal that they’re working for the Frogfather and while apologetic about being so forceful they had to do that to avoid arousing suspicion. The Rake reveals his name to be Johnny Blue with the Squirts being the twins Thatch and Crowe that serve under him. It turns out The Rat Pack’s remnants have been trying to restart the group in Scrimshaw and have been looking to take revenge on the pirate who broke it up while also hunting for Marco Pollo’s map, which they’ve heard you have. The goal is to try to stop these remnants from restarting the group and to ultimately end their tyrannical rule over Scrimshaw.

Before that can happen though, more information is needed as to the ringleaders of the remnants. Going out as you are is only asking for trouble, but luckily Johnny and the twins have a disguise ready for you, so you don’t arouse suspicion as an outsider. To make sure no unwanted suspicion is aroused your companions must stay behind in the hut, and when it’s time to come back to knock three times-two light and one heavy in that order-so they know to let you in. In your disguise (a Wharf Rat Squirt costume) you walk around Scrimshaw (which has wharf rats around every corner) alone and eavesdrop on some conversations some of the rats are having. Most are just members celebrating their haul they got from the townspeople and visitors or just idle chatter, though you do come across a mugging of a dog that you’re forced to ignore to avoid suspicion. After doing one more sweep of the area you overhear a conversation between two rats where they talk about someone by the name of Tim, wondering what his plans are for the future of the pack if the raid on Flotsam fails. Feeling this information could be useful you head back to the hut to deliver the news.

Upon arriving however, Johnny Blue is nowhere to be seen. The twins explain that he left shortly after you did to help gather information of his own. Soon enough Johnny returns, apologizing for leaving so soon. After you relay the information, Johnny reveals he heard talk about a meeting in the back of Sharky’s Treasures between prominent members of the new Rat Pack, and that he was able to get an invite that allows him and a guest to go. Everyone agrees that you in the disguise and Johnny should go to it alone, and that the others should stay behind, with the twins going out on patrol. Ratbeard asks if this caution is necessary, but Johnny assures it is.

Upon arriving at the location and showing Old Sharky (the shop owner) the invite, you’re directed to the back.

Once there however you are attacked by a group of rats led by Tim, who turns out to be Martin Dean. He says that he had eyes on you the whole time and knew that you’d try to sneak into a meeting with the heads of the new Rat Pack with a disguise. He now aims to take you down as payback for before (Objective: Defeat all enemies with Johnny Blue as ally and no Companions available). Upon defeat he gloats that it doesn’t matter that you won this round as he was just buying time and asks Johnny if the twins are doing okay.

After hearing this Johnny gets worried and tries to leave right away before you stop him and calm him down. After doing so you both decide to go back to the hideout to inform your crew of the situation. Back at the hideout your crew is understandably upset but also eager to help out. A new plan is then formed: you and your crew will search one area of Scrimshaw while Johnny searches another area alone, agreeing to meet up near Scrimshaw’s entrance later.

After searching around for a bit everyone meets up at the gate where Johnny reveals he found out where they were at and leads you to a nearby house.

Once inside however all former leaders of the Rat Pack are waiting, with the twins tied up and held captive. Johnny Blue reveals that he’s lead you into a trap out of fear and desperation of the twins safety, being forced to fight against you in exchange for their release (Epic Battle Objective: Defeat The Rat Pack). After their defeat The Rat Pack swears vengeance and then flees.

With The Rat Pack defeated once more the twins are set free. Once the dust is settled Johnny apologizes for deceiving you and thanks you for sparing both him and the twins. While you and your crew are understanding you also understand that the Frogfather will not be happy upon hearing this. While you offer to not rat him out Johnny and the twins while appreciative declines and insists on accompanying you back to Gullet in order to explain everything, as they wouldn’t feel right otherwise (Quest: The Aftermath).

Upon hearing what happened the Frogfather is disappointed in Johnny but also understands they were in a tough situation. As punishment he orders Johnny and the twins to join your crew to help atone for his mistakes, to which they gracefully accept. The three of them thank both you and The Frogfather for your kindness and mercy and hope that they can one day repay the both of you in full and prove that this punishment wasn’t a mistake. The Frogfather has full confidence in the trio and plans to assign more agents to Scrimshaw to keep an eye on and potentially snuff out any new attempts to reform The Rat Pack while also hoping that a situation like what happened with Johnny and the twins doesn’t happen again.

CLOSING
    This is something I’ve been working on for the past few months, and it was neat coming up with a backstory for this guy as well as putting together a visual representation of what he might look like in game, even though I know the edit isn’t perfect. While it’s unlikely we’ll ever get a Wharf Rat Rake companion in the game I do hope my concept of one was at least interesting and enjoyable to everyone reading. Who knows? Maybe in the future I’ll do more of these, but we’ll see. Thank you for your time.

P.S. I originally posted this on my blog but thought I'd post it here as well for more exposure.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

Shanky0 (09-14-2021),Tomas (09-14-2021),Willowdreamer (09-14-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Re: Companion Concept: Wharf Rat Rake.

Very cool.

My favorite companion is the battle angel, because they are a shooty/stabby - you can use both the gun and the sword.

I'd love to have more unique companions, like a swashbuckler that can throw bombs / use ranged hits, while also being able to sneak and hide. Or a witchdoctor that can run up into battle and chain relentless/riposte/etc using strength while also being able to use spells. There's so many viable and unique ways to play and customize our pirates, and that's what I like about this game - there's no real one "correct" way to play - it would be cool if our companions reflected that more. It feels like a lot of them just fit into the ideal mold of what schools "should" be, rather than what they could be.

I like this companion - being able to summon swashbuckler type minions as a power is what I like the most. It's like having the best of both worlds. I think it would be cool if instead of just training musketeer epics it was possible to also train meelee epics. But I suppose either way it is cool for a swashbuckler companion to have musketeer epics (or "ranged" epics - not just "musketeer"). I guess I'm just being greedy! I think the power is a good compromise and probably more balanced than what I'd want, lol.
    Last edited by Tomas; 09-14-2021 at 01:38 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (09-14-2021)

Flash33 is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Very cool.

My favorite companion is the battle angel, because they are a shooty/stabby - you can use both the gun and the sword.

I'd love to have more unique companions, like a swashbuckler that can throw bombs / use ranged hits, while also being able to sneak and hide. Or a witchdoctor that can run up into battle and chain relentless/riposte/etc using strength while also being able to use spells. There's so many viable and unique ways to play and customize our pirates, and that's what I like about this game - there's no real one "correct" way to play - it would be cool if our companions reflected that more. It feels like a lot of them just fit into the ideal mold of what schools "should" be, rather than what they could be.

I like this companion - being able to summon swashbuckler type minions as a power is what I like the most. It's like having the best of both worlds. I think it would be cool if instead of just training musketeer epics it was possible to also train meelee epics. But I suppose either way it is cool for a swashbuckler companion to have musketeer epics (or "ranged" epics - not just "musketeer"). I guess I'm just being greedy! I think the power is a good compromise and probably more balanced than what I'd want, lol.
    Glad you liked it. The reason it only has ranged epics is because it's based on the enemy units of the same name, which also only have ranged epics despite being Swashbuckler. It's the same with the melee Witchdoctors Nurse Quinn and Dr. Noh who despite being WDs only have melee epics due to being melee themselves. As for only having ranged powers while there are companions that have a melee power despite being ranged (Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, Fox Highlander Bonnie Anne, etc.) I wanted to focus more on the unique ranged SB aspect here, hence why he has none (that and I don't think I ever thought about giving him a melee power in the first place).
    Last edited by Flash33; 09-14-2021 at 06:48 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

Tomas (09-14-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Flash33 View Post
    Glad you liked it. The reason it only has ranged epics is because it's based on the enemy units of the same name, which also only have ranged epics despite being Swashbuckler. It's the same with the melee Witchdoctors Nurse Quinn and Dr. Noh who despite being WDs only have melee epics due to being melee themselves. As for only having ranged powers while there are companions that have a melee power despite being ranged (Eep Opp Ork Ah-Ah, Fox Highlander Bonnie Anne, etc.) I wanted to focus more on the unique ranged SB aspect here, hence why he has none (that and I don't think I ever thought about giving him a melee power in the first place).
    That makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing. I don't remember these enemies, but I understand that. It's cool that they're swashbucklers that only use ranged talents. I've always liked how Bonnie Anne uses her gun to whack enemies rather than shoot them - I think having companions with guns that hit rather than shoot would be really fun and unique. In the same way, having buccaneers / swashbucklers that don't use swords at all sounds really interesting too. Apparently it is a thing - I've never noticed these enemies before, are they early game? You might have already mentioned where they are so I'll check after posting this - I might go visit them when I get the chance.

Flash33 is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    That makes a lot of sense, thank you for sharing. I don't remember these enemies, but I understand that. It's cool that they're swashbucklers that only use ranged talents. I've always liked how Bonnie Anne uses her gun to whack enemies rather than shoot them - I think having companions with guns that hit rather than shoot would be really fun and unique. In the same way, having buccaneers / swashbucklers that don't use swords at all sounds really interesting too. Apparently it is a thing - I've never noticed these enemies before, are they early game? You might have already mentioned where they are so I'll check after posting this - I might go visit them when I get the chance.
    You can easily find them in Skull Island, specifically the Ancient Tunnels, as a group of 3 serve as the heads of The Rat Pack and the final bosses of The Rat Pack questline, though no quest is required to gain access to them. As for SB/BC companions that are swordless a few do exist, such as the chickens and goats.
    Last edited by Flash33; 09-14-2021 at 07:53 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

Tomas (09-14-2021)