PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Actually FARMING pet snacks?

Apologies if I sound frustrated - it's because I am.

I've been looking all over the internet for best ways to get pet snacks, free to play. I've been relying a lot on packs for my snacks. I want to try farming for them.

The answer is pet wrangling.

Could anyone add to this thread places they have found are good for gathering pet snacks?

For me, I have no clue. I've tried farming the sharks in Devilfish Hallow - nothing worth noting. Unless a snack gives 30-40xp, it is worthless to me. Pet training takes a lot of time and it is disheartening when you feed a pet and it does not level up. I've been leveling a level 60 pet on my level 10 pirate - possibly a silly idea on my part, and all I have are 16xp snacks which means I'm waiting a very long time for little results.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (11-21-2021)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Re: Actually FARMING pet snacks?

Outside of the free gift boxes during October or Yuletide in the Spiral events, Pet snacks are best acquired via Pet Wrangling, as you've discovered -- unless you have Crowns you want to spend on the Mega Snack or Grizzly Beast packs. Lower level snacks can be purchased for gold in the Circus Maximus, from the vendor up behind the Morphing Tent, and those are better than nothing -- if you have the gold to spare.

Your highest level pirate (and any other idle pirates you aren't questing on) on the account could send about 8 companions on the Pet Wrangling task before it will take more than a day for them to return, and then, if you're training the same number of pets, pay attention to which games you are playing. Getting rewarded with the bonus Pet Gear that sells for 1020 gold can fund purchasing of the additional snacks you need. Transfer the pet snacks to the active pirate that you are working on. Level 70 companions will return with the best free snacks - better than those that are dropped by creatures.

Unfortunately, the game designers felt that even the Pet Snack vendors in Cool Ranch and MooShu should sell the same lower level snacks as they do in the Circus Maximus. I don't know why - it makes no sense. Including Cool Ranch or MooShu origin snacks would have been the much more logical way to go.

From time to time, I sell my extra snacks at the Bazaar, so you could also check there. Unfortunately, the highest levels of Wrangling snacks are also No Auction.

Here is an excerpt from my Guide to Companion Tasks:

Companion Tasks - Pet Wranglin'

Pet Wrangling is the task where your companions will return with pet stuff for your pirate. Here are some tips and ideas for gaining the most advantage you can from this task:

1. This task can be given to any companion at Level 8 or above. They will return with pet items. For example, a Level 8 companion will generally return with rank 1 pet gear and possibly a rank 1 pet snack. The higher the companion's level, the higher the rank of gear/snacks they will return with. On the rare occasion, they can return with a Pet Egg.

2. The pet gear and snacks can be sold or used for training pets. the Pet Eggs can be stored in your house or bank until sold for gold, or traded to other pirates on the same account.

3. The first companion sent will always take the shortest time to return, the timer gets longer as they gain levels. Each subsequent companion sent will have a longer timer depending on level, until at highest levels, the later companions could take days to return.

4. This task works best if the companions are at a variety of levels - earlier level companions will return with Skull Island and sometimes Monquista origin snacks. About the level 30, they will begin returning with Cool Ranch origin snacks. At about level 40, they will starting finding Mooshu and Other origin snacks. Finally, at upper levels, they will return with Marleybone and Aquila origin snacks. Having a wider range of companions on the account will allow for stockpiling of snacks for the pets being trained to Like or Love.

5. The Pet Wrangler ability cuts 10% off the timer. All companions can train the first level of Pet Wrangler but Witchdoctors and Privateers can train an additional level -- Rank 2 for 15% faster return. For some reason, Rank 3 of Pet Wrangler does not exist in-game.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 11-21-2021 at 07:47 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Tomas (11-21-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    -snipped-
    Thank you Willow.

This is why I was frustrated! And still am.

I like to farm for things. I don't like depending on my companions. I have been purchasing packs but space fills up quickly - at least give me a quick sell option! - and don't get me started on the "this item costed crowns to purchase, are you sure....", thank you, but after the hundreth time seeing that notification I think I get the point! when trying to sell the items.

I have a pirate dedicated as the trash pirate - the one that keeps and sells the items and opens the packs. Too bad if I get any unique companions, but it's to the point where I needed a pirate with no items at all to fill up all the packs just to get some pet snacks. Mega snack packs just aren't worth the cost.

It's really silly. I hate to rant, old man yelling at cloud and all that, but it's really really silly. I haven't put much effort into pets until now, and I've just realised with all the pets I've been training it is absolutely ridiculous how the pet training works in pirate. It's such a hurdle to jump over just to get the gear required to start the training, and then you have to wait or speed it up with crowns, and then you only have the option of low rank snacks unless you want to purchase packs and tough luck if your pet doesn't level up, back to waiting even longer!

I just want to train my pets! lol. I'm not a huge Wizard101 fan, but at least there I can grow my plants, or even if I don't have good snacks I can still train my pet to my hearts content until my energy runs out and it adds up quickly. In pirate, it adds up very very slowly, almost unnoticeable change.

Upon reviewing my post I would like to add that that is a very bold and untrue statement - "I like to farm for things" - to any KI employee reading this, for the love of God please do not make me farm for things. I like having the option, sure, but I don't "like" farming either.
    Last edited by Tomas; 11-21-2021 at 08:42 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    I don't like depending on my companions.
    Here's where you are thinking wrong. You're not "depending on" your companions, you are UTILIZING them. We don't have Gardening, or Fishing, or even Crafting here in Pirate101. We have Pets and we have Companions.

USE "junk" pets to train just for the Pet Gear. You don't even have to feed them anything at all - just skip the feeding and send them training again. Sure, they use a bit of energy, but you can keep training all of the pets you are carrying until you run out. If your Pirate is still leveling, you get a full portion again. Keep them all doing something if you can, using Skull Island activities, which finish quicker and return with the most common gear - Use the Hornpipe and then sell the Bosun's Whistles you get for Gold. You don't need to have pets doing the highest games they can, just assign them based on which gear they'll bring when they finish. You'll have more than enough pet gear for the ones you really want to train up.

USE your companions that you don't need for battle. Send them Wrangling, and Scavenging and even Plundering for stuff that will help your Pirate. Collecting from their Orders only takes a few minutes when you log on, and you have the option to auto-renew so you don't even have to click more than once.

The beauty of the Pirate101 system is that it can all happen while you're playing, and continues after, when you're logged off. Using all of the pets and companions on the account, and sharing the booty with your active pirate is so efficient when you get it going.

Last edited by Willowdreamer; 11-21-2021 at 10:53 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Tomas (11-21-2021)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Lurking

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    -snipped-
    Willow.

You have just saved me SO MUCH EFFORT!

I have never noticed the restart tasks option before! In all my time playing.
    I feel like an absolute complete noob sometimes - and I have multiple max pirates, but no one would believe me.

This has just made companion tasks so much better. It was a frustrating amount of clicking.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomas For This Useful Post:

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Happy

Quote Originally Posted by Tomas View Post
    Willow.

You have just saved me SO MUCH EFFORT!

I have never noticed the restart tasks option before! In all my time playing.
    I feel like an absolute complete noob sometimes - and I have multiple max pirates, but no one would believe me.

This has just made companion tasks so much better. It was a frustrating amount of clicking.
    Glad to help -- this is why they say never be afraid to ask the questions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Tomas (11-22-2021)