BLOGS

The Drakon's Hoard

Dragon Species

Rate this Entry
"Dragon" is sometimes too broad of a term. There are so many varieties of dragons, from the classic western design, to the eastern Lung, and beyond. I've decided to create this post to compile the different categories of dragons there are in fiction and literature.

*Western: Found in classic medieval tales, this is often the first thing that pops into your mind when someone says dragon. Four legs, two bat-like wings, a love of hoarding gold, and the ability to breathe out a fiery inferno. Very intelligent. Often evil in classic mythology.

*Oriental/Lung: Found in eastern legend. Often described as spirits with connections to rivers, oceans, and storms. Long, serpentine body, four legs, usually wingless, and immense magical powers. Very intelligent. Often good in classic mythology.

Wyvern: Found in medieval tales. Similar in build to Western dragons, but with only two legs instead of four, resulting in a bird-like boky structure. Usually, they don't have a breath weapon, but are venomous, with a scorpion-like tail stinger. Less intelligent than previous categories, with a more feral disposition.

Lindworm: Found in Norse mythology. Serpentine body, usually wingless, and only two legs. They usually have a venomous bite, similar to a deadly snake. Not necessarily intelligent, but usually evil in disposition.

Drake: Originally four-legged, wingless dragons, often built like large iguanas or monitor lizards. Later, in contemporary mythology, used to describe a species similar to dragons and wyverns, with a breath weapon, but smaller and less intelligent.

Hydra: Not technically a dragon species, but people are gonna complain if I forget them. XD Found in Greek mythology. Semi-aquatic, mutli-headed, gaining two new heads for every one they lose. Often have acidic venom. Not evil, but aggressive and territorial. Closely related to dragons.

Drakon: Found in Greek mythology. Wingless and serpentine, with varying numbers of legs. Acidic venom, and (sometimes) a paralyzing gaze. Territorial, viscous, and can be good or evil. Very intelligent.

*These are the "true" dragons, while the others are minor species or closely related.

I will add to this post, if I feel the need to, or remember more species.

Submit "Dragon Species" to Digg Submit "Dragon Species" to del.icio.us Submit "Dragon Species" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dragon Species" to Google

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments