PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Guide to pvp etiquette.

Guide to pvp etiquette.

Hello and welcome to my guide to pvp etiquette. Here I will list some things to keep in mind when doing pvp. Anyone who does pvp knows that it can get pretty competitive at times and more often than not emotions flare up, so hopefully this guide will teach players some things to keep in mind when pvping against others (EDIT: I realize that I misspelled etiquette originally; I apologize for that).

1. Be respectful: Yelling, raging and/or cursing at your teammates and/or enemies doesn't help or solve anything and chances are will only make them perform worse than they normally would. It also makes you look like an immature troll. If you decide to use foul language, you will be reported and you will get in trouble for it as well.

2. Don't be a sore loser/winner: Even though pvp can be pretty competitive at times, most people do it to have fun and as such there's no need to be a sore loser if/when you lose or are losing. Likewise, if you win or are winning, taunting the opponents and/or acting all stuck-up, snooty and just acting like a plain jerk because of it is not needed and just makes you look like a sore winner as well as a jerk (i.e. even if you win or lose, acting like a jerk about it will only make you look bad and make people not want to pvp with or against you as well).

3. Don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong or offer advice to players: Pvp can also be a good learning experience as well as a place to make new friends as well. If you see someone struggling, don't be afraid to offer them advice on how they can do better next time. Likewise if you lose, don't be afraid to ask what you did wrong either, and if your respectful and sincere about it, then chances are you'll get allot more respect and maybe even some new friends as well.

4. Don't flee when your health drops to zero: Even if you drop to zero health, that doesn't mean that the match is an automatic loss. By fleeing you make it more difficult for your teammates to win (not impossible mind-you, just more difficult). Most people carry at least one or two heals in their arsenal, so if you stick around long enough, then chances are that you'll be able to get healed and be able to live to fight another day and help out more in the fight than before.

5. Don't join and then hop off/switch to the other team at the last second: Nothing's more annoying than having someone hop off the sigils and/or switching to the other team at the last possible second, leaving the rest of their team without a member, making the teams un-even while the one who hopped off/switched teams laughs at the un-even teams. If you're gonna hop off and/or switch teams, do it before the last possible second, or just don't bother joining at all if you're gonna hop off/switch teams at the last second and then laugh about it.

6. Don't complain about matches "taking so long": I can't tell you how many times I've seen people complain about some matches "taking so long" when it's already long to begin with. When you're in a pvp match with multiple people, depending on the levels of everyone, naturally the match is gonna take a while to finish, so instead of complaining about it, you can either flee the match ending the "long" match right there or you can stick it out and not complain about it. You could also just not join the match at all if you think it'll take a while, so there's that.

7. Don't say a match is unfair when it was unfair to begin with: Now I know that we all have those matches where they just seem hopeless and that they can be unfun to do, but complaining about it in chat doesn't really do much unfortunately. Just try to do the best you can and maybe you'll be able to win that "unfair" match in a come from behind victory.

8. After a match, make sure to remember to heal up first before starting a new one: I have personally seen many people (usually lower leveled players) go into a fight with little to no health and get instantly obliterated because of it. If you want to at least last long in a fight, then you've got to remember to heal up after every fight. This way you'll be prepared in time for the next fight you do, so there's that.

9. Just because someone's a high level doesn't mean that you should automatically flock to their team because of it: Now I'm sure that anyone whose been to the pvp arenas have seen that lower leveled players generally tend to flock to whichever team the higher/highest leveled player is on, usually for fear of getting clobbered really fast and quick like. Now while there are some high levels that like to do this, there are generally some high levels out there (like me for instance) who will generally try to go easy on the lower leveled opponents and try not to annihilate them so quickly and fast like. These helpful higher leveled players may simply wish to help the lower leveled players improve their skills by some other way, like fighting their (the higher leveled players) summons for example. Besides, if you're similar or at least close to the same level as them, then with a little teamwork and cooperation with your teammates then chances are that you can take down that higher leveled for despite the disadvantage that you might have, so there's that at least. Likewise for higher leveled players you shouldn't have to flock to a similarly leveled players team just because you'd rather not fight them. If you want to test your skills and see just how good you are, then try to fight someone near/around your level rather than newer/beginning/lower leveled players instead, so there's that at least.

10. Be sure to try to at least give the lower leveled players a fair and fighting chance so-to-speak: Now just because you're a higher leveled player that doesn't mean that you need to constantly beat up on the lower leveled players because of it, where's the fun and entertainment value in that? Remember that you were once just like them too, so it's only fair that you try to give them a fair and fighting chance too just as you would like someone else to do the same to you too. Do this, and you'd be surprised by how much skill and talent those lower leveled players have that you might not have known had you not offered them a fair fight so-to-speak, so there's that at least.

11. Have fun: Pvp is meant to be a fun activity to do, so there's no point to playing it if you're not gonna have fun while doing it. Just try to do the best you can and try to have fun while doing so, as even if you lose, chances are if you're respectful about your victory or defeat, then maybe you can make some new friends and pick up new strategies as well.

There are more that I can't think of right now and they will be added to this when I do manage to think of them, but for now, I hope this guide was both informative and helpful as well to boot.

Thank you for your time and until we meet again gamers, happy gaming.
    Last edited by Flash33; 08-04-2013 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Updated.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Flash33 For This Useful Post:

~Onion Knight~ (03-02-2013),All in Life (08-10-2013),Antp (03-02-2013),Bloodcross74 (08-04-2013),Brianna (03-03-2013),Cedric Young (07-28-2013),Emerald141 (03-03-2013),Katalina (07-28-2013),nesogra (03-04-2013),Peanut Butter King (03-02-2013),Savannah Windweaver (06-26-2013),Tickles (08-04-2013),Witty Benjamin (03-02-2013)

Peanut Butter King is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Privateer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Gloomy

Re: Guide to pvp etiquite.

Some good info to players that think pvp is everything in the game. Trust me, I have thought it was everything before, and I really regret thinking that. Commander robe problem...
    Wally is best Pokemon.

Witty Benjamin is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Confused

If you're in a team, never flee from your team, it's rude.

All the nopes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witty Benjamin For This Useful Post:

Peanut Butter King (03-02-2013)

L0CK-0N is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer

• L0CK-0N's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Kai Vinter
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Musketeer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Mooshu Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Woot

How do you feel bout people that boast?

For me, sometimes i'm ok with people doing it since it can give off a positive energy of sort while other times i think a person can be just to full of themselves.

Emerald141 is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Even if all your companions are down and it's a foregone conclusion that you're going to lose, don't flee unless your opponent specifically says it's OK. It'll come across as ragequitting if you do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald141 For This Useful Post:

Peanut Butter King (03-04-2013)

Flash33 is offline Navigator

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

Quote Originally Posted by L0CK-0N View Post
    How do you feel bout people that boast?

For me, sometimes i'm ok with people doing it since it can give off a positive energy of sort while other times i think a person can be just to full of themselves.
    Honestly, I personally feel like that it depends on the situation. While I can understand people boasting just to add a little life to it [the pvp match], if they don't say that they don't really mean it, then it can come off as the latter situation.

For example, earlier today I was in a pvp match against 2 lv.50 privateers (one of the privateers was originally on my team but then decided to switch over to the other team shortly before the match started). It was not only annoying that we went last, but not only did they practically over-power us to the point where we were destined to lose (also didn't help that their teams epics kept activating constantly while my team's epics rarely did), but the privateers decided to gloat about it, saying stuff like "lol, we haven't lost any companions" and "none of us have died lol". After that match, the same privateer who was acting like a sore winner decided to make the comment "cause you know if you're with a privateer it means victory lol" "it's a proven fact lol" or at least somewhere along those lines.

That's part of the reason why I made this guide, so people can see that even if you're completely dominating a match, taunting the other team and acting like a sore winner because of it is no way to act at all whatsoever. So yeah, I'd say that it again all depends on the situation to be completely honest with you there.
    Last edited by Flash33; 03-03-2013 at 03:51 PM.

Emerald141 is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

One more thing I can think of to add to the list at the moment: Occasionally players forget to heal after matches, so you may find yourself facing an opponent who has low HP and weak companions. If this is the case, let them flee, heal, and restart the match without penalty. After all, how would you like it if this happened to you?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald141 For This Useful Post:

Peanut Butter King (03-04-2013)

Clownsanity is offline Land Lubber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

What is difficult about writing etiquette? (or better: netiquette) , etiqute and etiquite sounds really bad :P anytime i think not so much ppl will take this seriously, that is why all this "etiquette" could be summarized in: use that ignore button because is better than to become angry , i personally chosed to not bother into teach etiquette to players (specially to kids), even with kindly explanations (like to those who teleport in your fights without asking and do this more and more even if you ask kindly to not do this), but since i am an aged player i used a tons of time that "ignore button" from the times of Ultima Online , so i appreciate your efforts, just keep in mind that 99% of ppl wich should learn from this instead they will not even read this; also i never found so much useful to discuss in pvp and even more i found ridicolous who become angry or exagerately happy in pvp since this game is PVE oriented at all, classes are not nearly finished into pve balancing, figure for pvp so i would add another rule: if you want serious and competitive PVP this is not the game ^^, maybe it will but i would not point my 2 cents on this.
    Last edited by Clownsanity; 03-04-2013 at 07:18 AM.

Endercat is offline Sailor

• Endercat's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Virtuous Pearl Everhart
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquilan Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Bored

I think that anyone not in the level group of others in a pvp hall should not repetitively join matches. Today, I was in a group of levels <15, and we were trying to pvp, but a level 25 was in there and he made it impossible for a match to start. Everyone joined him, so I ended up leaving. I wasn't going to wait for a level 50 or something to show up and start something to watch(because the matches are entertaining)
    "Really? Sailor zombie in a mall? Unbelivable!"
    -Penn, Penn Zero: Part Time Hero|
    Profiles

DADITH is offline Boatswain
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler

• DADITH's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Perilous David
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Heavy
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Inspired

Given the number of realms that have the pvp arena, One can always find a group of people close to their own level and meet in another realm. Just a thought

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast