Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       Swordroll is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Swashbuckler
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Tenacious Turrets: An Illustrated Guide to Effective Marleybone Turret Farming

Introduction
    The Marleybone Turret (the Armada Assault Station) is the toughest thing in any skyway to date. Captain Pluton? Sparatacos? Ha! You can solo those in your spare time. This turret has health well beyond any of those ships, plus AoE attacks, and more! Did I mention it's not an immobile turret? I've created this guide to help those interested in its unique drops to be better prepared for what they're facing, and know how to handle this terror of the skyways! The Marleybone Turret, for those of you unaware, if just beside Beachhead, between the edge of the skyway and some unknown and unused Marleybone island. It is level 57. I'm not sure of its exact health, but I'd estimate it to be tens of thousands.

Why This Isn't Effective For Nautical XP Events
    This boss can be tough to find. And farming it will involve constantly switching realms and searching. In my experience, even a well-organized nautical event has trouble moving one group from one end of the skyway to another, so I can't imagine how they'd group everyone up in one spot, and keep everyone aware of which realm who was doing what on and when. There'd be too much confusion, and people'd get lost! :P

Beyond that, this guy stands all by himself next to Beachhead, with not another ship in sight. The nearest ships are back a ways in the front of Beachhead. This turret also offers less nautical experience than just about any Aquilan ship from what I've seen. For this to work, you'd need a chain of communication. People would split up and search realms, and when one person found it, they'd message another, who'd message another, who'd continue the pattern, hoping that someone else hadn't found another and already begun spreading their realm. Too much!

One-Eyed Jack has said he's fixing a bug tonight that causes crashes when large groups try to farm. However, instead of forty people in a mess of ships, you've now got forty people in one, single area. And no matter how many bugs you fix, you game can always crash from excessive lag and freezing. You thought you couldn't get a hit in on that Aquila boss? Uh oh... good luck.

Farming Preparations
    Before you begin, dock at Beachhead so that if you happen to die, you'll be able to quickly rejoin everyone. Keep in mind that teleporting won't be effective, as you can't unbottle a ship while the ship you're on is participating in combat. It works, but it's more efficient to have everyone docked and close. Despite every precaution and bug fix, as I said, you can still freeze up. Turn your settings down - Particles all the way off, clouds off, geometry and texture details to low, and resolution to 800x600. It isn't pretty, but you'll be able to farm with minimal difficulties.

I recommend bringing four to six people. Only four can fit in a group, so the other two, if included, will have to be on friends lists and be chatted the realm. I'll explain more about that later.

If you have AoE attacks, this isn't the place to use them. If you have AoE heals or power-ups, I do not recommend using them unless everyone has them, as it will make sustaining your own ship difficult under fire of AoE attacks from the turret. In some cases, it might have been more useful to use a smaller damage hit that you could use faster to close a potential healing gap of an enemy ship (if that makes sense). Here, that is not a concern. You want your best damage per second possible.

Armada Engineers Are Notoriously Fidgety
    When myself and a couple other started tracking this machine down to farm, we realized that it seems to spawn in one area, between the two wrecked ships. However, we quickly realized that it is mobile; it moves. It can't board you, so don't worry about that, but it does move in an out of range. Keep in mind that some ship attacks are more accurate further away as well.

The turret not only moves back and forth - but up and down! At skyway level, you cannot pass through it. However, it will move up and down so much so that you can move under and over it at times! As you can see in the dialogue below, we're all rather confused upon first discovering this. My friend explains.

Finding It is Half the Fun!
    The Armada Assault Station does not respawn very quickly at all. Therefore, you'll need to swap realms. All of the group begins searching realms, and when they find one, they either (A) report it through group chat, and the friends of those not in the chat are notified via text chat or (B) notify a member who IS in the group chat, who will announce the realm in the chat. If two players find the station at the same time, one is chosen to go first, and the second is noted for after sinking the first.

With four to six people, this is simple. Because it takes some time to sink it (though sometimes not even as long as it does to find it), you can start attacking upon arrival. If you have trouble at any time, simply back out of range for a few moments to heal. As long as you've hit the machine once, you'll get the drops. Teleporting isn't recommended, as you won't be able to unbottle while your friends are engaged, and waiting for everyone to hit the same realm isn't as effective as it should be. It takes more than a minute to sink it, so if you're on the wrong realm having just switched, don't be alarmed. Wait for the timer and then swap.

There are some bugs where it'll mysteriously wonder away from you a disappear. And its repawns don't follows any pattern. For example, you can check Vadima, find it empty, check Catbeard, sink it, check Vadima, find it empty, check Catbeard, sink it.

Where's the Loot!?
    The main reason for farming the turret is the potential loot. Personally, I want all of the group pieces, and this offers several. If you've got a Marleybone galleon, we received three sails with a group power-up in just one night, as well as several figureheads that were well above what was normally dropped for those ships. For those interested in the stats on that piece, you can view it in my album here: http://pirate101.centralforums.com/f...chmentid=34671

The big-ticket item, however, is the Fulminate Horn (thanks, Cret92, for allowing me to use the image). It's a handy-dandy AoE attack just like the one the turret uses.

Special Notes
    Remember to steer clear of Beachhead, whose cannons will fire on you and cannot be targeted. This turret has also been known to experience an odd bug in which it will wonder away from you or toward Beachhead and mysteriously disappear. Just change realms and try again.

One Last Rule: Have Fun!
    The turret's attacks are quite cinematic, with bright displays of fireworks, buffs, heals, and AoE attacks. Enjoy yourself. Find a group that's willing to work with you.

Conclusion
    I suspect there are other goodies we haven't discovered yet. Mostly because we haven't done a lot of farming. I've only been doing it a few nights now. If you find anything else interesting that he drops, or have recommendations, or have made larger groups work, I'd be curious to know how! :)

Thanks for reading!

This post contains 3 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Swordroll; 06-18-2013 at 12:46 PM.

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Swordroll For This Useful Post:

aquatiger975 (06-13-2013),BrianThunderFlame (06-18-2013),Captain Lucas (06-12-2013),Cedric Young (06-12-2013),Drakon (06-12-2013),El Capitano (08-07-2015),Fiery Red Morgan (06-13-2013),nesogra (06-18-2013),NumberCruncher (06-13-2013),Peanut Butter King (06-25-2013),pops (01-12-2015),Ravino (06-13-2013),smvb (11-28-2016),Soul Captain Hammer (06-12-2013),Stormglade (06-18-2013),Tickles (08-04-2013),toffeecakes123 (06-12-2013),Zenobia Paisley (06-16-2013)

Drakon is offline Deckhand

• Drakon's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Cunning Jack
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Swashbuckler
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Admiral Bundle Skiff
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries

Re: Tenacious Turrets: An Illustrated Guide to Effective Marleybone Turret Farming

Nice guide! The info seems very useful, I'll remember these facts if I want to ever farm the AAS.

Soul Captain Hammer is offline Deckhand
    My Pirate101 Character is a Musketeer
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Breezy

Re: Tenacious Turrets: An Illustrated Guide to Effective Marleybone Turret Farming

Don't forget these awesome MB galleon sails we got 3 times in a row! ;D

Name:  SOSF.png
Views: 1528
Size:  283.0 KB

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Soul Captain Hammer For This Useful Post:

Long John Silver (06-13-2013)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Captain Hammer View Post
    Don't forget these awesome MB galleon sails we got 3 times in a row! ;D

Name:  SOSF.png
Views: 1528
Size:  283.0 KB
    Yep, I remember those! I included a link to their stats in the guide.

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Has anyone else attempted this? I'm curious about some of the drops, specifically whatever gives him the fireworks animation.

Flash33 is offline Navigator
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Flash33's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Seth
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Blog Entries
    Musical

I've done this myself, and from what I've seen, the fireworks come first, and then about a second or 2 after the 3rd one comes, a thunderbolt strikes down on your ship, either damaging it or missing entirely (speaking of which, how can attacks like that miss when they clearly hit the ship?). When I participated in a farming event of it, the only thing (i.e. item)that I really got (or at least that I remember getting anyway) was the thunderbolt strike horn, so there's that at least.

Also, if I may add to the guide, be careful when going to the turret, as beachhead's cannons can still attack and damage your ship while you're travelling to it (you'll slow down but you can't actually target the cannons yourself), so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by Flash33; 06-18-2013 at 01:35 PM.

dragonQueen is offline Deck Swabber
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Angelic

Thank you for this guide - wish i would have read this before
    i just did a turret with my sis yesterday, she lost all her health and was sent back we didnt know about the porting so she was stuck on my ship while i finished it by myself,this took forever was dissapointed all i got was a little gold

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Updated with a few of your all's recommendations, as well as a bug I've noticed.

Stormglade is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor

• Stormglade's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Lucas Silver
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Haunted Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Is anyone up for some farming? I would love to farm this guy.

~X and Y~
    ~Silverglade on W101C~

Sylika is offline Deckhand
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Its not too extremely hard to solo if you have a aquilan galleon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast