Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
       Jegpeg is offline Deck Swabber
    My Pirate101 Character is a Witchdoctor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Tips for Winning Ship to Ship Combat

A lot of pirates hate ship to ship combat quests because they take so long. The reality is that is that if you don't let the enemy board they are quicker than other quests. Even allowing for time to heal you can have at least 4 or 5 ship battles in the time it takes for one battle if you are boarded. While the tips given below do not go all the way to make your ship battles as efficient as absolutely possible they should enable you to end the vast majority of your sea battles quickly by sinking the enemy.

1. If you can possibly afford it get new ships whenever available

This is hard early in the game, however spending gold on a decent ship will do more than spending it on clothing. Unless you have a high level alt putting high level items in the shared bank for you to sell you will probably struggle to get the pirate skiff much before it is free and you may wish to miss the pirate frigate. The pirate galleon and the monquistador skiff are equivalent so you don't need both but it helps a lots to get one of them as soon as you can rather than wait for the free one. After that you should try to get one whenever they are available (when your level is a multiple of 4 providing you have progress far enough in the story to access the vendor).

2. Ensure it is fully equiped

Ideally every slot should be filled (although I don't think you can get armor for a raft), it is usually cheaper to but stuff from the auction house than the vendors, alternatively if you are good at a mini game you can try to get equipment from that. Obviously your nautical rank needs to be high enough to use the equipment. Each ship has low level equipment and high level equipment (usually requiring a nautical level 4 ranks higher). There is also rare "Epic" equipment that is much better than the equipment from vendors but is rare to find in the auction house. Generally what a piece of equipment does is self explanatory from the card. Ship health, dodge, accuracy and armor work in the same sort to way as for land combat although it is the ships stats that are used rather than yours, this is shown by an icon of a ship followed by the same icon as used for you.

If you cant get everything as a minimum for combat you needs guns, figurehead, horn, wheel and sails.

Guns are needed for your normal shots these are fired automatically, the more damage they do the better occasionally you will also find guns that increase accuracy

A figurehead gives a special attack, this gives much more damage than the standard attacks and also improves some the rate at which the hull repairs (the equivalent of your health). The picture below shows a typical figurehead. Note that this one is more accurate at long range than short and therefore if possible you should be in "orange zone" to fire it.

Name:  figurehead2.png
Views: 1166
Size:  163.8 KB

The horn gives you a second special attack. An example horn is given below this is twice as powerful as the fish skull billethead (2* damage compared to 1*) but is only available every 14 seconds instead of every 7. It is equally accurate whether you are at short or long range. Not that a ship icon followed by another icon means is applies to your ship rather than you

Name:  horn.png
Views: 1270
Size:  144.9 KB

Sails either buff your ship or debuff the enemy ship. The example below will decrease the accuracy and dodge of the enemy ship by 6%
    Name:  sails.png
Views: 1289
Size:  162.9 KB

3. Don't start a battle with a damaged ship
    ‚Äč
    Name:  combat.jpg
Views: 1355
Size:  79.9 KB
    Unless the enemy is much weaker than you you should be at max health and have no more than about 5 seconds left until you can repair. You can see as I approach this enemy I am at full health (Ship health bulb marked A is full)

4. Choose lone Enemies

You want to fight one ship at a time if two enemy ships are close together the second one is likely to join the fray resulting in you losing health twice as fast. Select a target some distance away from the others, and position yourself so there is nothing going to engage you if you back away from the enemy ship.

5. Keep your distance

Generally speaking unless your horn or figurehead are more accurate at close range stay where the target is orange. This is shown as C on the picture above. Even if your attacks are better at close range stay as far away from the enemy as possibly while still in the red zone. This gives you a chance to avoid getting boarded if an epic hit puts you over 50% damage.

6. Generally Use Buttons as soon as they are available

These buttons are marked B on the picture. Clicking the left most one (or typing "1") activates the figurehead, the next (or typing 2) activates the horn the third activates the wheel for repairing your ship (like a heal in land battles) and the fourth activates the sails. They will be greyed out when they are not available.
    Exceptions:

• Don't "over repair" if your heal does 200 healing don't us it until you have close to 200 of damage. The repair always repairs a fixed percentage of your maximum health so is the same every time unless you change ship or equipment.
    • If your sails increase your accuracy it may be worth delaying using it for a second (certainly no more than 2) to improve the accuracy of your special attacks.

7. Ways to avoid be boarded if you get into the yellow

• If the enemy still has a lot of health consider disengaging having another sea battle from scratch will take a fraction of the time of a land battle only allow yourself to be boarded if their is very little chance of success next time.
    • Keep your distance, as at this point the enemy will turn and head towards you. There are several ways of doing this I prefer to back slowly away keeping him in the orange zone, the risk of this is that you might back into a wind lane (at which point the combat is ended you can not attack further or board until he is repaired. He will also stop attacking you). An alternative is to fly round the enemy so he is constantly turning to try and get towards you, the risk her is that you might accidentally engage another ship.
    • Use you repair as soon as you get it
    • When you are down to about 20% health use a mojo potion by clicking the bottle marked D on the Picture. Leaving it this late maximises the chance you will win (without more mojo potions) and / or minimises the repair time after you win. Leaving it any later risks getting sunk. If you have only just got your first raft you might not have a mojo potion but you get one shortly after. Much later you get a second and eventually a third.

8. If you can't win

There are 3 ways in which a battle can end other than you sinking the enemy
    • The enemy sinks you (ie you ship health goes to zero). This results in you returning to the last port you visited with a life fountain, your personnal health is also reduced to 1. There are usually plenty of red yum potions at the docks so hop of the ship to restore yourself to full health and head of again to face the enemy repairing on the way. If you have travelled a long way to get to a ship ot ship battle you may want to port momentarily at an island near the enemy ships so if you do sink (or flee) you don'rt have a long journey back.
    • The enemy disengages, this happens if you go into a wind lane or go too far from the enemies normal location. You will not be able to attack the ship again until it is back at full strength, nor will it attack you. While this wastes less time than getting boarding or sinking try to avoid it if you can, but if it happens restore your health and either re-engage the target to find another.
    • You get boarded, in this case you have 3 options:
      • Flee: This has the same result as getting sunk.
      • Go into options, select pirate and reselect the pirate you were playing, like fleeing this lowers your health to 1 but does not move your ship to port, instead you are given a few seconds where you can not be attacked to get away from the enemy. This saves the time of getting back to the enemy from the port but it usually takes longer to get the red yum potions at sea compared to at the docks. I would only do this option if the last port I visited is a long way away (say in a different skyway)
      • Fight: This takes a lot longer than sea battles but if you believe there is little chance of winning the sea battle you may decide the "long way" is the only way to finish the quest.

9. Battling with Allies

• Ship v ship battles are much easier with friends, unlike land battles the enemy does not scale up
    • The first ship to approach will be the target of the enemy, this ship should be in full health other ships will not be attacked and can be heavily damaged. This means that two people can take it in turns to be the target, the damaged ship can repair while fighting the next ship eliminating (or at least reducing) the repair time as well as reducing the fight time. There are a few boss ships that can target more than one player but they are rare enough for you to only change your strategy if you see it happen.
    • Keep an eye / talk to what the others are doing after a battle you don't want to go off and fight a different next target to everyone else.

This post contains 2 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Last edited by Jegpeg; 11-02-2013 at 06:17 AM.

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jegpeg For This Useful Post:

Austin Ze Amazing (10-27-2013),Chrissy The Blesser (11-02-2013),CSHildebrand (01-18-2014),Good ol Lefty (03-03-2014),Katalina (10-28-2013),LuckyDuck (07-21-2016),MaxDeGroot (06-02-2014),NightsTalon (01-18-2014),SwashySwashBuckler (04-21-2014),Tickles (11-30-2013),ValkoortheVictorious (06-02-2014),Willowdreamer (02-28-2016)

Willowdreamer is offline Wiki Master
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Fine

Re: Tips for Winning Ship to Ship Combat

Some very good information here. Have you thought about adding images to help beginners understand terms like accuracy, mojo (potion), etc. I was quite a high level before I realized I could be using potions in ship-to-ship combat (visualize hand hitting forehead here). Also, a caution when retreating to avoid getting boarded -- don't retreat all the way to the windlane if you are close to sinking the enemy. The enemy ship will stop and heal, and you will undo all your hard work. Also, I find that flying in a circle around the enemy ship while avoiding boarding is a good tactic if you have the room to do so.

All-in-all very helpful!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Willowdreamer For This Useful Post:

Dar2012 (10-29-2013)

CSHildebrand is offline Lookout
    My Pirate101 Character is a Buccaneer

• CSHildebrand's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Dashing Chris Kidd
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Eagle Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Relaxed

Thanks for the good information. I pretty much do all of that already. It is fun fighting in groups to raise nautical XP more quickly.

Blaze LionRider is offline Boatswain

• Blaze LionRider's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Bloody Phillip Freeman
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Witchdoctor
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Skull Island Frigate
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Bored

Good guide. This should be helpful to a lot of newer players.

Bloody Phillip Freeman-Level 65 Witchdoctor

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Willowdreamer View Post
    Some very good information here. Have you thought about adding images to help beginners understand terms like accuracy, mojo (potion), etc. I was quite a high level before I realized I could be using potions in ship-to-ship combat (visualize hand hitting forehead here). Also, a caution when retreating to avoid getting boarded -- don't retreat all the way to the windlane if you are close to sinking the enemy. The enemy ship will stop and heal, and you will undo all your hard work. Also, I find that flying in a circle around the enemy ship while avoiding boarding is a good tactic if you have the room to do so.

All-in-all very helpful!
    Thanks for the advice I'll try and take some screenshots tonight.
    Actually I was the opposite with blue mojo, I was in Aquilla before I realised that you could use it while on land (especially in a dungeon) to resurrect companions and restore health when there was no yum around!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jegpeg For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (10-24-2013)

Peabotz is offline Lookout

• Peabotz's Pirate101 Stats
      •  Pirate's Name:
      •  Bloody Morgan
      •  Pirate's Class:
      •  Buccaneer
      •  Pirate's Level:
      •  Ship Type:
      •  Aquila Galleon
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Nice advice there.
    Thanks for sharing it.

Dr Zeppers is offline Sailor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Jegpeg View Post

7. Ways to avoid be boarded if you get into the yellow

• If the enemy still has a lot of health consider disengaging having another sea battle from scratch will take a fraction of the time of a land battle only allow yourself to be boarded if their is very little chance of success next time.
    • Keep your distance, if the enemy approaches retreat (you checked it was clear before the battle started didn't you!)
    • Use you heal as soon as you get it
    • When you are down to about 20% health use mojo. Leaving it this late maximises the chance you will win (without more mojo) and / or minimises the repair time after you win. Leaving it any later risks getting sunk.
    I generally always circle my foe when I am in the yellow, this easily avoids being boarded while I finish them off. The idea is to keep enough distance while doing so to effectively attack, and still not get boarded. If I get boarded, its because I stopped paying attention.
    Arrr!!!! It be a pirates life for me matey!!! - Dr Zeppers / Magus Zeppers
    Dr Zeppers Pirate Shantey's and more....
    Search for Skull Island TV on YouTube!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Zeppers For This Useful Post:

Willowdreamer (10-24-2013)

PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold

Made a few changes after the comments given, any other changes I should make?

Austin Ze Amazing is offline Rookie
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Cloud_9

Very Nice And Helpful!

Mythern1303 is offline Sailor
    PvP Tournaments Won
    Thanks
    Thanks (Received)
    Gold
    Balanced

Great tips. You could also include tips on how to fight against turrets with allies or bosses that can target several enemies at once. (pluton...) Also when fighting in groups, it's great if most of the group members found blind spots to attack the lone ship, since usually your allies get ganged up by other members of the enemy mob when circling about in the sky. (ophidians, general tso ships, vultures, armada, etc.)

This post contains 1 auto-link(s) to our wiki for your reference.
    Hello Everyone! Guess who's back! Mythern is back in the house for all your custom art and wiki needs. Come check me out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast